Search results

1. Frideswide

The Brown Lady Of Raynham Hall

OK.... can't see anyone on the stairs but there's a pair of feet and legs to about mid calf standing on the snazzy tiles before they turn into carpet :) I'm not goning to mention the person sitting at the desk :p
  2. Frideswide

Sheela (Sheelagh) Na Gigs

I don't think we've had Craigieavar on this thread yet.... Discovered when there was a proper survey of corbels at the castle. I like this because it indicates that distribution maps can change :) This is the 2011 BBC notice of it, in a nice coy way. And in much more detail, the CANMORE...
  3. Frideswide

Sheela (Sheelagh) Na Gigs

only if you think that the only way of lauding women is on looks? ;)
  4. Frideswide

The Bible: Fact Or Fiction?

totally this! The ones that appear to a predator as "maybe an eye" get eaten less. And reproduce more.
  5. Frideswide

Random/Peculiar Images

6 :mcoat:
  6. Frideswide

Subliminal Advertising

Thank you David Plankton! It's interesting to see what they think is going to be a scary image!
  7. Frideswide

Did Actor Stage His Own Racist Attack?

Text to audio software. It's assistive technology :) Most often used to support a visual problem but also processing or cognitive issues. I use Jaws to supplement reading it at the end of a looooooong day, for example.
  8. Frideswide

The Unwhinge Thread

The well mechanism in the yard sounds interesting....
  9. Frideswide

Subliminal Advertising

I've never been aware of seeing one before :D I tried to view it on the slowest speed setting and you do get a better look - but I'd love to see them all properly.
  10. Frideswide

Breastfeeding In Public

Posseting, it's just milk. Nothing particularly unpleasant. Usually the only reason I realise some wean is being fed is that people start tutting. Which is much more intrusive.
  11. Frideswide

Did Actor Stage His Own Racist Attack?

it makes life much harder if you use, for example, a screen reader. Increases the noise to signal ratio...
  12. Frideswide

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

:oldm:what sort of anaesthetic/sedation did you have? It's improved a lot in recent years but it still knocks you for six :(
  13. Frideswide

The Troll's Head

lolololololol
  14. Frideswide

The Troll's Head

After a week and a wait for a part... we have a working boiler. The engineer has gone and we are now running about bleeding radiators and so on. GIVE ME A DRINK!!!!!!!!!
  15. Frideswide

Tasers On Stun

@maximus otter Figures and definitions are needed to support this statement if it is going to stand. You may find these wikipedia summaries useful. Or not, of course UK USA Frideswide
  16. Frideswide

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

snake maybe? and we see the dust and grass moving? I like it - haven't seen it before :)
  17. Frideswide

Stuff You've Just Bought

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :rollingw:
  18. Frideswide

Stuff You've Just Bought

It's another Ducati :) It's my valentine present.
  19. Frideswide

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

Potteries Motor Traction - back in teh 80s anyway :)
  20. Frideswide

Stuff You've Just Bought

It is currently in my garage. :) Edit to add that you can see what lovely weather we are having in Glasgow!
  21. Frideswide

Stuff You've Just Bought

Happy happy joy joy!!!!!! The 900ss was getting to be hard work on my wrists especially. This is more sit-up-and-beg than boy-racer!
  22. Frideswide

NY Times British & Irish Dialect Quiz

Would the Missus be willing to do it?
  23. Frideswide

NY Times British & Irish Dialect Quiz

This is mine. Seems pretty good. I would have thought that the years I spent in England would have made it less clear cut though.
  24. Frideswide

The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

ouch!
  25. Frideswide

*arrives with thermos* can I join your club please?

*arrives with thermos* can I join your club please?
  26. Frideswide

Why No Classes On Cryptozoology?

A small thing but... when I was lecturing and had a tutor group, I used to use forteana as a basis for critical thinking skills. So we'd take a topic, I'd give 5 minutes of salient points including lots of key words. They'd get a week to come back with /everything/ they could find. And then...
  27. Frideswide

What's Up At The BBC?

@drbastard ? rein it in pending discussion please.
  28. Frideswide

Evacuation Song On Jukeboxes In Irish Pubs Cira 80s

ROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAO
  29. Frideswide

Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

:eek::eek::eek:
  30. Frideswide

Fortean Plants (Carnivorous; Man-Eating)

I wonder if the stories have been fed (!) by people seeing plants flourishing through the remains of an animal or human.
  31. Frideswide

Random Australia

brilliant! The cats do it regularly! :)
  32. Frideswide

Help Identifying Weird Short Story About Impossible House

I#ve gone through the whole thing a handful of times. I was lost in it first time through, the nightmare quality was vividly experienced! Something, many things, come out for me on each rereading :)
  33. Frideswide

Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Has the Haggis Hunt ever been confined to men only? Some of teh Ridings were/are I think.
  34. Frideswide

Forgotten History

No skull so we won't get a similar reconstruction of the Red Lady of Paviland. Although I suppose she is now part of the conspiracy having been discovered to be the Red Man of Paviland.
  35. Frideswide

Serial Killers

I know. I think at this stage there is a faint hope that some questions might be answered. Most families seem to say (totally unscientific impression) that it's the not knowing which is the worst, as the years mount up.
  36. Frideswide

Forgotten History

So you want them to fiddle the likelihoods so that Rattled of Tunbridge Wells doesn't twist her pearls so tight she throttles herself? :rollingw: I saw a set of the reconstructions in the Mail on line. One of them was dark. What's the problem? Hunck's post above sets out where we are at the...
  37. Frideswide

Back Issues Of QUEST Magazine By Marian Green

This is really rather exciting @_Danforth_ I've read a number of quests and thoroughly enjoyed them - it's very much coloured by one person's take on things and so there is a coherent aspect to them. I think I'm actually looking for a reference from Quest. OK if I dig it out?
  38. Frideswide

Back Issues Of QUEST Magazine By Marian Green

Suggestion (not mine alas!): can you write to the owner and ask if you can put some old issue scans up? Linking to the site would be a good way to encourage continued publication so I vote for that too!
  39. Frideswide

POLL: What Stance Should Forteans Take Toward Anomalous Phenomena?

This ^^^^^ Are you still here PeniG?
  40. Frideswide

Aleister Crowley

it's the wings...... and thank you :)
  41. Frideswide

The Meaning Of Trees

Yes, hence Old Man Willow in LOTR I think. Also they are associated with death in much mortuary art.
  42. Frideswide

The Meaning Of Trees

Yes, rowan to keep witches away, elder is an old lady who must be respected and ash is a mean character and you shouldn't sit under them. Apples need to be greeted at Hogmany and must be informed (the same as bees!) if a change happens in the family.
  43. Frideswide

The Unwhinge Thread

That's a definite unwhinge! Mine is that I got a set of the Victoria Plum cross stitch charts for a more than reasonable price. They don';t come up on ebay or etsy. So second unwhinge is that my dutch, backed up with online translation, stood up to the conversation!
  44. Frideswide

Antikythera Mechanism

oo-eer! I mean that * you will be aware of new evidence, or the lack of it * you will have changed as a person, stepping in the same river twice stuff * you will have had time to sift and process
  45. Frideswide

Antikythera Mechanism

I find it's not just doing it again, it's doing it again after the passage of time.
  46. Frideswide

Drug-Laced Sweets

Gordon bennett!
  47. Frideswide

Neil Gaiman's American Gods 2017 Trailer

Love the book! The anniversary audio book is also highly recommended!
  48. Frideswide

Subliminal Advertising

The 1958 film Terror in the Haunted House has at least two "terrifying" faces inserted :) One at about 02.07 and one about 3.07 I think....
  49. Frideswide

Threadfinder General: Lost Threads Located

1958 film Terror in the Haunted House I can see it has a flash of a "terrifying" face inserted. Which thread would be best to note this (to me) interesting moment?