Search results

1. maximus otter

Strange Things As Food & Drink

My squirrel and pigeon casserole is to die for. Brown the meat in hot oil, pop it into a slow cooker with chicken stock, veggies and a faggot of herbs: Lush! maximus otter
  2. maximus otter

Courts Unprepared For Wave Of Emoji

Bay Area prosecutors were trying to prove that a man arrested during a prostitution sting was guilty of pimping charges, and among the evidence was a series of Instagram DMs he’d allegedly sent to a woman. One read: “Teamwork make the dream work” with high heels and money bag emoji placed at the...
  3. maximus otter

Sheela (Sheelagh) Na Gigs

A profusely-illustrated BBC news feature on Sheela-na-gigs: The naked women adorning Britain's churches. Links to the excellent Sheela na Gig Project which - among other info - lists SnGs across the UK. maximus otter
  4. maximus otter

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

Jack the Ripper did not struggle with his victims, but quietly killed them in their sleep, an historian has claimed. While it has always been thought that the five confirmed victims of the mysterious serial killer were soliciting when they were killed, Dr Hallie Rubenhold has said that they...
  5. maximus otter

Breastfeeding In Public

I think breastfeeding in public is more about the mother’s creepy needs than the baby’s hunger. maximus otter
  6. maximus otter

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Indeed it is, and quite rightly so. Red squirrels are protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Grey squirrels are a destructive invasive pest species. Fortunately, they are also delicious. :reyes: maximus otter
  7. maximus otter

Did Actor Stage His Own Racist Attack?

Even committing murder isn’t a bar to a successful career in acting. maximus otter
  8. maximus otter

Madrid & Gunboat Diplomacy

The UK, for example. maximus otter
  9. maximus otter

Random/Peculiar Images

...‘s all the bloody same... :mcoat: maximus otter
  10. maximus otter

The Troll's Head

@ramonmercado you sly fox: Happy birthday! A glass of wine with you, sir! maximus otter
  11. maximus otter

Missing In Action: Posters Who Have Wandered Off

Quake42 hasn’t posted since 28.11.18 maximus otter
  12. maximus otter

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

I was making the big, big mistake of lying down on the bed with my iPad after a weights workout at the gym. I have now set. maximus otter
  13. maximus otter

Random/Peculiar Images

Eric Blair, AKA George Orwell, was 6’ 2” and towered over his fellow anarchists: (Believed to be Blair). Also, that doesn’t look a bit like him. Hemingway was 6’ tall, and I’m afraid that I’m unconvinced that’s him, either. I’ll accept the dog. ;) maximus otter
  14. maximus otter

I’ve got GPS on my ‘phone. Let El Capitan try that in the territorial waters of a country whose leaders have something that serves them as a spine, e.g. Russia. That sparkly little destroyer would be an adventure playground for bream in about twelve seconds flat. maximus otter
  15. maximus otter

I don’t believe so. A few years ago I visited my oldest mate in Spain, and he drove us over to Gib (my place of birth - aww!) for the day. It took us - IIRC - four hours to get off, queuing in the blazing sun. This is routine, and due solely to Spanish petulance over sovereignty. maximus otter
  16. maximus otter

maximus otter
  17. maximus otter

It will end well. For Madrid. Once again the invertebrates of Westminster will huff and puff, yet nothing will be done. I love that the Royal Navy deployed "...a launch and a rigid inflatable boat..." against the Spanish warship. I bet Johnny Foreigner was shitting himself. (Memo to self...
  18. maximus otter

Weird Sex

I despaired of humanity and its passion for dope after I read about Krokodil. Everything since has just been diarrhoea icing on the shit cake. I deliberately don't provide a link to Krokodil, as a Google image search under that name will produce depictions of its effects that I found...
  19. maximus otter

Serial Killers

As an aside, it seems that familial DNA from a public database may be helping to solve another murder; though not, admittedly, from a series of serial killings. I mention this case because of a paragraph from the article: "More than 15 million people have offered up their DNA to online...
  20. maximus otter

"Jussie Smollett allegedly promised to pay his two pals $4,000 to stage his racist and homophobic assault — which the trio even rehearsed beforehand, according to a new report. The embattled “Empire” star paid $3,500 to bodybuilding brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo before they left for...
  21. maximus otter

Amelia Earhart

A newly-acquired 16mm movie film of female aviator Amelia Earhart could shed light on what happened more than 80 years after she disappeared. The footage shows Earhart's plane taking off on a test flight on the morning of 1 July 1937.Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared the following...
  22. maximus otter

The Ourang Medan Mystery (Ghost / Derelict Ship)

What morse operator would send the words “I die”, as he was dying? It’s reminiscent of the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the agonal Joseph of Arimathea is supposed to have carved Aaaaaargh! into the stone as he croaked. The Proceedings of the Merchant Marine Council are quoted...
  23. maximus otter

I’ve read about this, and his story reeks. We are supposed to believe that two white men wearing (deeply symbolic) MAGA hats - obvs, duh! - were hanging around in the Chicago streets in the small hours, with the wind chill at something like -20⁰F, ready-equipped with a noose and a bottle of...
  24. maximus otter

Tom Cruise & His Wives

He has a winning way with muggers: (For anoraks, it’s a Heckler & Koch USP in .45ACP). maximus otter
  25. maximus otter

Weird Sex

That bloke needs his own telly programme. maximus otter
  26. maximus otter

Weird Sex

https://drugabuse.com/flakka/effects-use/ maximus otter
  27. maximus otter

Faeries

“A thief has stolen the entire contents of Ipswich Town FC’s trophy room. Police are looking for a man with a carpet.” maximus otter
  28. maximus otter

Tasers On Stun

a) Statistics on Race and the Criminal Justice System 2016, A Ministry of Justice publication 1. Executive Summary "...non-White ethnic groups appear to be over-represented at most stages throughout the Criminal Justice System, compared with the White ethnic group, though this is not...
  29. maximus otter

Tasers On Stun

Perhaps because black people and the mentally disturbed commit a disproportionate amount of crime? Perhaps because Tasers are now more widely issued, and people who previously would have had to be wrestled with and/or beaten with batons are now Tased? Let’s have some context: In the year...
  30. maximus otter

Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

If a grotesque carving or caricature on the exterior of a church does not contain a water drain, it’s technically known as a hunky punk. maximus otter
  31. maximus otter

Female 'Gunslinger'

Ian McCollum and Forgotten Weapons: Always enjoyable. maximus otter
  32. maximus otter

Minor Strangeness

It’s all very well to make sympathetic noises, but if every checkout is staffed by a Martha and every queue contains a “Doris”, it bloody well adds up. maximus otter
  33. maximus otter

Night Of The Lepus

A pound to a pinch of shit it was a muntjac: One of the most common things that people say concerning munties is that they're not much bigger than a large hare. maximus otter
  34. maximus otter

Booze News

This sounds like a prequel to the Stephen King story Gray Matter: "...one day his father drank a "bad" can of beer, implied to carry a mutagen, and since then has been slowly transforming into an inhuman blob-like abomination that detests light and craves warm beer. Spying on him one night...
  35. maximus otter

Stendec: Airliner 'Stardust' Lost In Andes

"Sawdust clucking at warts? Say again, Alpha Bravo One Two..." maximus otter
  36. maximus otter

The Troll's Head

I'm selecting Dr. Dre's hymn to the eternal feminine - "Bitches Ain't Shit" - from 12th century Aquitaine, the home of Courtly Love. Should be a bangin' choon. maximus otter
  37. maximus otter

Stendec: Airliner 'Stardust' Lost In Andes

l don’t think that a dyslexic Morse operator would have a long career path, especially in a safety-critical line like aviation. maximus otter
  38. maximus otter

Minor Strangeness

Because it’s not like the firm would identify the losses, then pass them on to you and me in price rises, is it? Or simply go bust? Theft is theft. There is no Magic Money Tree. maximus otter
  39. maximus otter

Caves, Cannibals & Art: Britain's Human History Revealed

Hundreds of "witches' marks" believed to be from the 17th and 18th Centuries have been found in a limestone gorge. They were discovered at Creswell Crags, Nottinghamshire, and are believed to be the biggest concentration of protective marks found in British caves. The "apotropaic" marks...
  40. maximus otter

Drug-Laced Sweets

It's listed as Unproven in Snopes: "The warning was posted to Facebook by a single individual who did not cite any source, and its claims were not corroborated by any local, regional or national news reports, statements by law enforcement agencies, or the findings of any criminal...
  41. maximus otter

Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

I'd bet that it derived from Jerome K. Jerome's popular novel of 1900 Three Men on the Bummel, a "sequel" to Three Men in a Boat. "One of the characters in the book asks, "how would you translate [bummel]," to which the narrator replies, in the very final paragraph of the book: "A 'Bummel'," I...
  42. maximus otter

The Meaning Of Trees

How about blackthorn? It produces sloes, much used in sloe gin. It was reputed to be the source of Jesus' Crown of Thorns. Sloes were found in the stomach of Ötzi the Iceman. Because it's a hard, dense wood, it was much used in the production of shillelaghs. Wounds inflicted by a blackthorn...
  43. maximus otter

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

maximus otter
  44. maximus otter

The Shit Thread: Excremental Discussion

The office was entitled Groom of the Stool, and it's hotly debated as to whether it actually involved botty-buffing. What isn't debated is the office was highly sought-after, as it gave virtually unlimited access to the king and admission to his confidence. maximus otter
  45. maximus otter

Conspiracy In The U.S. Election & Trump's Presidency

Deafening silence: "It’s been two days since NBC’s exclusive reporting that the Senate Intelligence Committee has found no material evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, and as of yet none of the three major broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) have given it even a...
  46. maximus otter

How Are You Spending Valentines Day?

Probably for the best, all things considered. maximus otter
  47. maximus otter

Conspiracy In The U.S. Election & Trump's Presidency

United States GDP Growth Rate "US unemployment rate falls to lowest level since 1969" Guardian, Oct. 2018 "Senate has uncovered no direct evidence of conspiracy between Trump campaign and Russia" NBC News, 12.2.19 Senate Intelligence Committee Panel chair Richard Burr said 'we don't have...
  48. maximus otter

How Are You Spending Valentines Day?

Hopefully, buying a new rifle. Oh, and continuing our tradition of moules marinières for Valentine’s Day dinner. With a bottle of Dom Pérignon, obvs. maximus otter
  49. maximus otter

Forgotten History

Brighton Museum reconstructs woman found in Brighton and - mirabile dictu! -she was dark-skinned. I’ve been to Brighton, and the only mild surprise is that they didn’t depict all of them as minorities. lf they found a Saxon warrior complete with chariot, they’d reconstruct him as “A lesbian...
  50. maximus otter

Stonehenge

Stonehenge is perhaps the most famous rock structure in the world and the mystery surrounding its formation has stumped humanity for generations. Now, a new study suggests that it, along with other rock structures across Europe, may have been influenced by prehistoric sailors. The study...