Search results

1. F

Weird Weddings

It sounds like a “long stay” hospital I worked at in the mid ‘70’s, where the residents were so disturbed they were eating the flowers on the wards. The garden department then grew peppers, which were promptly eaten by much of the nursing staff, who were from Malaysia or Mauritius.
  2. F

Great Acts Of Stupidity

I remember many years ago, an idiot who thought it was fun to lurk by some traffic lights & as a car with a roof rack slowed, he would leap up & attempt to ride it. It went on until an irate motorist gave him a shoeing & he was daft enough to complain to the local copper, who got him to sign a...
  3. F

Strange Deaths

Denying me access as well......
  4. F

Is It Illegal To Embed Glass In Your Wall To Deter Would-Be Intruders?

The spikes are still on the back walls of Buck House, but now with additional barbed wire on outward slanting supports. But then we all know there’s one rule for “them” & another for the rest of us!!!!
  5. F

Strange Deaths

Somewhere here,there is a lesson to be learned.
  6. F

The NHS Thread

The saga continues:- From this:- A midwife claims she could be dismissed over her red hair after NHS bosses warned her it breached the hospital's new uniform policy. Donna Crichton, 53, from Sleaford, Lincs, said she was warned she faces possible disciplinary action by the United Lincolnshire...
  7. F

The NHS Thread

In the NHS, you can face a disciplinary panel if you are sick. On a slightly different track, don’t forget this from a few days ago: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/21/midwife-claims-could-lose-job-nhs-bosses-warned-red-hair/
  8. F

Medical Mishaps & Daffy Doctors

I was a registered nurse in learning disability for near twenty five years & some of the trick cyclists were bloody strange & some just useless & incompetent, although that could be said of some of the nursing staff as well. Once appointed, there was no way ordinary mortals could get rid of a...
  9. F

Ridiculous Accidents

There are no bad dogs....... Just dogs that made a wrong decision!!!!!
  10. F

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

From the Daily Telegraph of the 15th September 2018:- Jack the Ripper’s victims were not prostitutes - Helena Horton It remains one of the most enduring mysteries in British criminal history with budding detectives desperate to unveil the true identity of Jack The Ripper. But less is known...
  11. F

Bizarre Beheadings

You did at the time. I’m trying to remember the words of the original report, but after over thirty years can’t. Although, the words amounted to decapitation.
  12. F

Out Of Place Animals

Tarantula found clinging to a Nottinghamshire park bin 1 May 2018 A dog walker was "shocked" to find a tarantula dumped in a bin in a Nottinghamshire park. The white knee tarantula, which is roughly the size of a hand, was rescued...
  13. F

Is the Queen a Caliph?

From last Fridays Economist:- Muslims consider Queen Elizabeth’s ties to the Prophet Muhammad Reaction to the queen’s purported Muslim extraction has been varied in the Arab world Apr 5th 2018 QUEEN ELIZABETH must claim her right to rule Muslims.” So ran a recent headline on the Arab Atheist...
  14. F

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

Richard Dawkins wants to know if lab-grown meat will eradicate the taboo against cannibalism. In a tweet on March 3, the outspoken evolutionary biologist linked to an article about the possible commercialization of meat grown in a laboratory by the end of 2018. Dawkins was practically drooling...
  15. F

Martian Miscellanies

Hubble images of Mars show the effects of global-scale dust storms on Mars. (credit: NASA, J. Bell (Cornell), M. Wolff (SSI), and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)) Mars atmospheric dust and human exploration by Joel S. Levine, D. Winterhalter, R. Kerschmann, D. W. Beaty, B. L. Carrier, and...
  16. F

Rubbish! (And Recycling)

I still have a small pile in the back of my van, as well as a few bags for life...... I personally think that plastic bags are like those wire coat hangers you get from the cleaners, once you reach a certain critical mass or number they start to breed promiscuously, or begin to spontaneously...
  17. F

Books Bound In Human Skin

Sorry Little Mollusc, I should really read what's already been posted before posting something. But here is a screen grab of the web page: The only thing that works on the menu is the "Contact Us" button.
  18. F

Books Bound In Human Skin

I’ve just found this site: http://www.humanleather.co.uk/humanleatherproducts.html Don’t know what to make of it, or if it’s a way to rip off the rich & gullible.
  19. F

Weird Names

They were known as plastic hippies.......
  20. F

Weird Names

Or the grandparents of one or other of the perpetrators? So many hippies seemed to have rich rellies they could fall back on.
  21. F

Weird Names

Hippies using the Torygraph to report a birth???
  22. F

'Oumuamua: Interstellar Object: Rendezvous With Rama?

Having read this review of the food in the foresaid buckets I think I'd prefer starvation: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food
  23. F

'Oumuamua: Interstellar Object: Rendezvous With Rama?

From this weeks Economist science section:- The first visitor from another solar system has just been spotted Rendezvous with Rama? AEONS ago, perhaps long before Earth itself existed, a hunk of rock circling a star somewhere in the Milky Way was thrown out of its orbit so violently that it...
  24. F

Nude News

Makes me think of a charity walk back in the early 1970's, to raise money for a local hospital. Just about everything that could go wrong did, including the weather, with so many of the walkers ending up in the hospital, it was reckoned to have cost the hospital more than it received. But as...
  25. F

Pigeons

I just feel sorry for the pigeon, an innocent victim...............
  26. F

Bees

Beenapping, it happens!!!! If you want to take the risk, you don't need the full kit, just stuff the front opening with paper, grass or a piece of sponge, lug it off site & shove the hive into the back of your van &/or car, & just hope that it doesn't leak, (woodpecker holes or just cracks or...
  27. F

Great Acts Of Stupidity

From The Columbian:- Officials: Man killed while mixing up explosives at home By Associated Press Published: June 22, 2017, 9:21 AM LINCOLN, Maine — Maine investigators say a homeowner died in an explosion in his basement where he was experimenting with...
  28. F

The World's Dumbest Criminals

You can't do that anymore!!! It might infringe their human rights or something.
  29. F

Bees

Bees, particularly swarming bees, tend to leave pheromones on the first temporary site on which they first settle, before finding a hopefully permanent home & this tends to persist & attract further swarms. Twenty plus years ago, I can remember a bee keeper with about forty hives on one site...
  30. F

The Shipwrecks & Treasure Thread

This is covered on the "Space Review" blog. The magic MacGuffin of Mercury 9: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3224/1
  31. F

I can recommend reading his list of offences, if you suffer from insomnia:- http://www.law.alaska.gov/pdf/criminal/MedFraud/2017/041717-LookhartInfo.pdf Count XI is the hover board incident.
  32. F

Odd Sayings

The expression I remember was:- "As dry as a nuns c***t.
  33. F

April Fools

Did anyone notice the Daily Telegraphs offering to this rather depressing cycle: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/31/polar-bears-spotted-scotland-animals-flee-melting-arctic-ice/ Followed later in the day by...
  34. F

Defense Lawyer's Pants Catch Fire During Arson Trial

I was told as a child that it had been fairly common for boxes of the Swan Vesta matches to catch fire in peoples pockets. Although even then, I wondered if it was more likely, due to the habit many smokers had at the time of returning their dog ends to their pocket for later reuse.
  35. F

My wife, who is also a nurse commented, "Oh God, & I've just eaten sausages!!!!!
  36. F

Not sure if this should be here or in the "Human condition", but from the South African Medical Journal. CASE REPORT Successful removal of a penile constriction wedding ring in a rural area A Fhima,1 MD; N Lahouel,2 MD, FEBOPRAS, FFCPRAS 1 Casualty Department, Van Velden Hospital, Tzaneen...
  37. F

Grave Goings-On

There is a book The Diary of a Resurrectionist 1811-12 published in 1896. https://archive.org/details/diaryofresurrect00bailrich I found a copy in a hospital library twenty five years ago.... & well worth a read. Another book is:- Death, Dissection & the Destitute by Ruth Richardson...
  38. F

Odd Sayings

'she walks like two coons fightin in a gunny sack' sounds like an expression I remember from the '70's:- "like two boiled eggs in a handkerchief".
  39. F

The R.I.P. Thread

The Economist has eventually given Raoul Wallenberg an obituary. Sixty-nine years after he probably died in the Lubyanka, He has finally been declared dead!!!!!!! The persistence of hope Raoul Wallenberg was, at last, declared dead on October 26th The saviour of the Jews of Budapest disappeared...
  40. F

Rubbish! (And Recycling)

It will be pure Darwinism, as soon as a seagull proof bag is issued, nature will breed a better seagull......
  41. F

Weird Weddings

It seems that not only has this woman married her daughter, she has previously married her son, although this marriage was dissolved!!!!!!! Oklahoma mother, daughter arrested after alleged incestuous marriage. DUNCAN, Okla. – A mother and daughter from Oklahoma are accused of having an...
  42. F

The BBC & Television Licensing Propaganda

There is a good article here on the Vulture: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/ Basically piss poor reporting from the Telegraph!!!!!!
  43. F

Dumb Cops

In some part's of the US of A, it's common practice to prosecute supposed drug offender's & only test the suspected substance if the subject goes to trial & pleads not guilty. If bail is initially refused it can mean someone is imprisoned for several weeks while those tests are made. While a...
  44. F

Nude News

They do seem to be out at the moment!!!!!!!! This was from yesterdays Daily Telegraph:- Retired police officer wins ban on naked neighbour returning home after he repeatedly posed nude in his wellies Kenneth Ward, 69, who is banned from returning home after posing naked in front of his...
  45. F

Nude News

From todays Daily Telegraph:_ 'Brexit leaves Britain naked': Cambridge academic stages nude protest against outcome of EU referendum A Cambridge academic has protested against Brexit by showing up naked at her faculty's meeting Javier Espinoza, Education Editor 1 July 2016 • 4:18pm A...
  46. F

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

There was a bloke in South Africa a few years ago, who trimmed his long haired Alsatian's so that they looked like lions. Theft from his yard went down to zero
  47. F

Penis-Cutting

Sounds a bit like: "The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy", where in a matter of fact way, in Book 5, Chapter 17, Tristram, explains how he was accidentally circumcised:- "— ’TWAS NOTHING,—I did not lose two drops of blood by it — ’twas not worth calling in a surgeon, had he lived next door to...
  48. F

Ridiculous Accidents

My mother in law liked putting old gas canisters in bonfires, she liked the bang, amazingly she died of old age!!!!!!