Search results

1. blessmycottonsocks

Mountain Ghosts

Just to add to the real-life horrors of Everest, unseasonably warm temperatures are melting the ice and some of the 300 or so long-dead bodies are "coming out" : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/21/mount-everest-melting-glaciers-exposing-bodies-dead-climbers
  2. blessmycottonsocks

Creepiest Fortean Story?

Agreed. Whilst I'm a big John Hurt fan, his version tinkered with the story too much. The Hordern version was minimalist, but creepy as hell.
  3. blessmycottonsocks

Creepiest Fortean Story?

That gave me a flashback to the 1968 TV ghost story "Whistle and I'll Come to You" .
  4. blessmycottonsocks

Confessions Of A Computer Game Addict

Been thnking about all the 3D Maze/Dungeon Crawl games I've played over the decades, from Akalabeth on the Apple 2, Skull and the Bard's Tale on the Spectrum, Dungeon Master on the Amiga etc. It's put me in the mood to try something similar on my Xbox One. Looking for an atmospheric, ideally...
  5. blessmycottonsocks

Wacko Jacko

Which is how it should be. But I bet your mate more closely resembles his biological father, just as Paris Jackson more closely resembles Mark Lester and those baby bunnies on YouTube adopted by a mother cat, haven't turned into kittens.
  6. blessmycottonsocks

It's Paedogeddon!

Didn't The Sun start a campaign to introduce mandatory life sentences for cases that combined sado-masochism, necrophilia and bestiality? I think the Lord Chief Justice told them they were flogging a dead horse with that one..
  7. blessmycottonsocks

Political Correctness Rides Again

Do you not cut your own...?
  8. blessmycottonsocks

Cluedo/Clue: The Game Of Murder

My fondest memories of playing Cluedo were with my parents and a schoolfriend, back in the 70s during one of those frequent power cuts we used to get in England. A candlestick in the middle of the board added much to the atmosphere!
  9. blessmycottonsocks

Wacko Jacko

Exactly. Lester was her biological father, but Jackson was the father she knew who brought her up. Incidentally, there doesn't seem to be a convenient and explicit antonym for biological father in the English language. Stepfather is close, but doesn't quite work in this case.
  10. blessmycottonsocks

Wacko Jacko

By no stretch of the imagination is this a "mixed-race" woman. There is no resemblance whatsoever to Michael Jackson. She looks exactly what a daughter conceived by Debbie Rowe and Mark Lester ought to look like:
  11. blessmycottonsocks

Population Growth: The Real Apocalypse

A while back, the advice doing the rounds on the Internet ecology forums was to put an object, such as a house brick wrapped in a plastic bag, in your toilet cistern. This reduces the water flow by 1 to 1.5 litres per flush. Great! Except that the reduced water flow proved insufficient to...
  12. blessmycottonsocks

It's Paedogeddon!

Fair comment Ramon, but when I was 16, I definitely knew right from wrong and certainly didn't want to rape anyone, let alone young boys. I do agree with the concept of innocent before proven guilty though, so let's see what the court decides.
  13. blessmycottonsocks

They've Broken New Zealand

Prime Minister Ardern's very public decision not to name, or give any publicity whatsoever to the terrorist, reminded me of Margaret Thatcher's very similar policy to deny the IRA of any publicity, following their latest terrorist atrocity. Problem was that the media bypassed it by bringing in...
  14. blessmycottonsocks

Exactly. I was a paid-up Green Party/ Ecology Party member back in the Jonathon Porritt days, when they advocated a sustainable rate of population. Sadly they subsequently sold out. I know it's not the trendy thing to say, but pretty well every problem facing humanity today stems from...
  15. blessmycottonsocks

It's Paedogeddon!

Labour peer Lord Ahmed to be inducted into the paedo hall of shame? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/19/lord-ahmed-appears-in-court-charged-with-child-sexual-offences
  16. blessmycottonsocks

Wacko Jacko

"If Michael Jackson's heritage included at least one 'white' relative in the past few generations, then some European genes will have been passed on through him and it is entirely possible that one of his children with a 'white' woman could indeed look 'white'. He may indeed be her genetic...
  17. blessmycottonsocks

Hypogeum Of Hal Saflienti (Malta): Missing Schoolchildren, Etc.

Rumours that some of the elongated skulls have gone missing. I certainly didn't see any on display last time I visited the Valletta museum. Good photo of one of them in this article, which also repeats the, uncorroborated, disappearance story...
  18. blessmycottonsocks

Another manifestation of gross overpopulation in the UK is that an acute water shortage is looming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47620228 But rather than do something sensible like strive to limit our population to a more sustainable level, the emphasis will be very much on discouraging water...
  19. blessmycottonsocks

Suggestions For A Good Read

I'm half way through Charles Maclean's 1983 psychological thriller The Watcher. Thoroughly enjoying it! Full of Fortean themes - hallucinations, night terrors, alternative realities and, delightfully, a past-life regression linking to legendary mystic and explorer Percy Fawcett (of Lost City of...
  20. blessmycottonsocks

Current State Of The War Against Terror

Turkish dictator Erdogan repeatedly broadcast videos of the Christchurch attack at a rally. Did that provoke the Turkish jihadi to perpetrate the attack in Utrecht? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/18/erdogan-shows-christchurch-attack-footage-at-rallies
  21. blessmycottonsocks

FT 377

Loved the classic timeslip account of the two girls, who had a close encounter with a steam train, on a long-since abandoned railway track.
  22. blessmycottonsocks

Well done to the Dutch police for catching the terrorist. According to this BBC report, he had links to jihadi groups in Chechnya and had previously been questioned about links to the Islamic State, but released without charge: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47615231
  23. blessmycottonsocks

Death toll has risen to 3 and gunman, Turkish-born Gökmen Talis, still at large.
  24. blessmycottonsocks

Suspect is Turkish-born Gökman Tanis. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/several-injured-after-shooting-on-tram-in-utrecht-a4094321.html?amp
  25. blessmycottonsocks

The R.I.P. Thread

Like many of you I suppose, I only discovered Dick Dale's unique sound after Tarantino chose Misirlou as the iconic opening theme to Pulp Fiction. Playing that Strat like a mandolin (or perhaps Bazooki is more appropriate, given the Greek origins of Misirlou) and riffing on just one string was...
  26. blessmycottonsocks

Video & Computer Game Urban Myths

Blimey that takes me back. I remember playing what sounds like the same game on a large Atari console version in a pub back in the late 80s. Was playing in 2-player challenge mode and I'd just completed a level, when the flying saucer landed and the alien gets out for a comfort break near the...
  27. blessmycottonsocks

Neanderthals: New Findings & Theories

Part 2 of Meet Your Ancestors was pretty good too and focused mainly on the DNA and evdence for interaction between Neanderthals and other humans. I already knew that most people of European origin have 2.5% or so of Neanderthal DNA, but what I didn't know was that we don't all have the same %...
  28. blessmycottonsocks

Weird Tales From Reddit

Worth reading for the sighting of Bigfoot snacking on roadkill.
  29. blessmycottonsocks

What Music?

Some of the best guitar-work I have heard in my life. Utterly astonishing!
  30. blessmycottonsocks

I understand that emotion is still so very raw, but no, terrorism like this will not break New Zealand, any more than the PLO broke Germany after the Munich atrocity or France broke after the Charlie Hébdo and Bataclan attacks, Australia after the Bali bombing, the USA after 9/11 or U.K. after...
  31. blessmycottonsocks

Oh come on Yith. That goes way beyond edgy. Whether he actually stated those vile words is immaterial. He clearly had no qualms being associated with such sentiment. I'm sure there are grounds to kick the scumbag out.
  32. blessmycottonsocks

Clicked on your link and was disgusted to see that "PewDiePie" has moved to the UK. Given the vile statements he has been associated with (Death to all Jews and Hitler did nothing wrong amongst them) haven't we got a strong case for kicking him out back to Sweden? The fact that a miscreant like...
  33. blessmycottonsocks

Newly Discovered

Just imagine the size of the holes in your skirting board!
  34. blessmycottonsocks

This Guardian article claims Christchurch has "an active white supremacist sub-culture." I found that rather surprising. Is The Guardian exaggerating? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/15/multiple-fatalities-gunman-christchurch-mosque-shooting
  35. blessmycottonsocks

Newly Discovered

Absolutely remarkable that mammoth cells are still capable of some biological activity after almost 30,000 years. Sounds like creating a living, breathing baby mammoth is still a very long way off though.
  36. blessmycottonsocks

Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Absolutely right - it's 6 nines. My bad. As for "all the zeroes" , in an infinitely long calculation, I guess they would appear eventually. Does my head in just thinking about it. Would an infinite number of monkeys be able to type it out? The Carl Sagan sci-fi novel "Contact" speculated on...
  37. blessmycottonsocks

Night Of The Lepus

Weren't Jesse Hutch and Martin O'Hare in it too? And wasn't there a brief cameo by Jasper Carrott?
  38. blessmycottonsocks

Is The Era Of The Petrol-Head Drawing To A Close?

I guess we're of a similar age and the only almost silent vehicles I can recall from my childhood were milk floats.
  39. blessmycottonsocks

A Strange Room Around A Train Station

Thought this story reminded me of something: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/body-found-under-motel-bed/
  40. blessmycottonsocks

It's Paedogeddon!

Erstwhile Liberal Party leader David Steel suspended from party after admitting he assumed rumours about notorious paedophile Cyril Smith were true, but did nothing about it (and even nominated Smith for a knighthood). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47573243
  41. blessmycottonsocks

You forgot the b'ddm tisch! If you're ever in Prague I thoroughly recommend a trip on the historic tramline 91/41. A 1920s Skoda original, with a beautiful polished wooden interior. The driver and ticket inspector dress in period costume. It rattles and clanks a bit, but is a palpable piece of...
  42. blessmycottonsocks

Chinese Hardware-Hacking

Another reason not to embark on the Huawei to Hell. Smartphone becomes pocket-rocket: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/15/huawei_phone_explode_lawsuit/
  43. blessmycottonsocks

Shocking news. Looks like the ringleader is an Australian national. Claims his motive was 'revenge'. Calls to reassess NZ's liberal gun laws. How easy is it to acquire an assault rifle over there? Unless the attackers brought their weapons in from Australia - which raises questions about...
  44. blessmycottonsocks

Scale them up and call them...... trams!
  45. blessmycottonsocks

Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

At position 768 in the calculation of Pi, there is a sequence of 999999999. At position 17,387,594,880 the sequence 0123456789 occurs. https://theconversation.com/pi-might-look-random-but-its-full-of-hidden-patterns-55994
  46. blessmycottonsocks

Thor's Black, Death & Viking Metal Thrash Thread

Brilliant! Can never get enough Finntroll. My Finntroll go-to track is En Mäktig Här.
  47. blessmycottonsocks

I can recall The Green Cross Code, the central tenet of which was "look and listen". The growing number of almost silent vehicles has negated the aural part of that.
  48. blessmycottonsocks

Neanderthals: New Findings & Theories

Just watched part 1 of the BBC programme Neanderthal - Meet Your Ancestors. Very good overall (albeit annoying that the presenter kept pronouncing what should be the silent H in Neanderthal). Came to the conclusion that they were much more like modern humans than previously thought. The...
  49. blessmycottonsocks

Strange Statues

Plans to rebuild the Colossus of Rhodes. Hope this does go ahead, but they will need to make it earthquake-proof. I was staying just south of Rhodes at the time of the last major earthquake in July 2017...
  50. blessmycottonsocks

My First Encounter With Strangeness

Some great video in there! Hope the OP can view it and tell us if that looks like the unusual bird he saw.