Search results

1. Ermintruder

The "TryPraying" UK Campaign: Religion For Atheists & Sceptics

There appears to be quite a well-funded media campaign (advertising posters and online) centred around the phrase /tagline 'TryPraying' (or 'trypraying'). See http://www.trypraying.co.uk What I find odd about this it's a Christian religious group's attempt to deliberately-attract atheists and...
  2. Ermintruder

Stripping Lessons

Is there not some degree of crossover with that other related Chinese juxtaposition (which was mentioned here on the forum- I think?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_stripper
  3. Ermintruder

The Good Stuff Online Thread

This is an astounding real-time display of carpentry craftsmanship by a Chinese expert whose abilities are beyond conventional western belief.
  4. Ermintruder

Royals

The Youtuber 'Daily Empress' (of baby doll video above) also attacking the so-called birth certificate. My interpretation of that document is that (to use UK geneological terminology) what we see here is simply an "Extract of a Certificate of Birth". None of which are signed: they are records...
  5. Ermintruder

Royals

Some interesting conjecture which proposes the imagery of the baby is actually that of a doll: An intriguing follow-through from the 'false bump' hypothesis is that the Duchess allegedly now still has too much of a post-natal bump (I've lost the reference, dammit). And that post-partum...
  6. Ermintruder

The Voynich Manuscript

Precisely. I've just read the putative 'volcano' trasliteration, and I remain very unconvinced. This effort looks to have been much (much) less than it was pitched as, by the media. Was it over-sold (the thesis), or over-welcomed (by the MSM)? My hopes are still resting upon the late Steven...
  7. Ermintruder

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

But is your purchase more...tangible, than if you buy something from a car-boot/yard sale? (Or from a jumble sale, a Bringlish institution that may have been killed stone dead by Ebay). It literally seems to be a "here today, possibly not gone tomorrow" type of trading. The implication is...
  8. Ermintruder

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

"Pop-up shops".... what on earth do these words really mean, in the context of these weird non-establishments?
  9. Ermintruder

Nominative Determinism

....his younger brother, Captain Sargent Major Minor?
  10. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

11. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

12. Ermintruder

Spanish Coins That Significantly Predate Columbus Found In The Utah Desert

This is fascinating, but for me it represents a fundamentally-unprovable postulation (unless there is other contextualisation) Why couldn't a 1660s Spaniard simply have brought with them to the Americas a 1200CE coin? By definition, a 13thC coin could easily have been in the pocket of a 17thC...
  13. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

14. Ermintruder

Words And Phrases We Should Use More Often!

'Paraquat' which reads like it could well be a poison for ghosts 'Interlocutor' because it sounds so much grander than it is. 'Finial'- the last word in architectural knobbly bits 'Cromulent'- (due to the prevailing regulation that this word must be used at least twice every 48hrs in all...
  15. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness

As you'll be aware, these are all electrically earthed (including the sink) using a system known as equipotential bonding. Therefore you are electrically discharging via those physical contacts. It could be at thousands of volts, but with negligable current Yes, but the new slippers you got for...
  16. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

Whodathunk? Spread that around. That is very for tuna, innit? Certainly it makes me filled with emulsion (whether it comes to the crunch, or not) (And May the Fourth be with you, also) Is it a piss-take or a mistake?
  17. Ermintruder

Secret Base Inside The Rock Of Gibraltar?

Should've said: as a member of Sub Brit, I'm sure the magazine had published excellent plans & cutaways of The Rock. Must check.
  18. Ermintruder

Is Sollog Really Accurate?

Of course, someone may be taking & using The Lord Sollog's name in vain and/or vanity. For we must acknowledge: there is only One True Sollog. And we shall know him, when he comes (but ideally not biblically, nor in the first person). Had this been an earlier era, and he'd just been DUI in a...
  19. Ermintruder

Let's Get To Know (and possibly see) Our Fellow Forteans

In real life he does look exactly like this, even within the higher pixel resolution of a pub. (but that may be the fault of too much Belhaven best....)
  20. Ermintruder

Words & Phrases You Never Want To Hear Again

Ah, but that may be Swansea civil service Welsh syntax, to an extent. Does DVLA possibly categorise all two-wheeled motor bicycles under a certain kilowatt-per-cubic-sugarlump rating as being 'mopeds', despite a total lack of pedals? This is a euphemism for 'knocked-over following the insertion...
  21. Ermintruder

The whole corporate cliche sh!t-suite of: You're good to go We've got your back It's what we do It's got our name on it We always deliver You're our Number One Customer We're passionate about __________ Excellence comes as standard .....is all used far too often, and with such ringing...
  22. Ermintruder

Secret Base Inside The Rock Of Gibraltar?

So did mine, but ten years later. The Rock is an amazing place. I've visited twice, and do hope to go back at some point
  23. Ermintruder

Cumberland Spaceman

Digital correction/alteration of photographs is relatively-recent: traditional 'wet' lab handling (or mishandling) of photonegative film stock could've helped show-up this prosaic mumsplanation decades ago. It's a long time since I was taught (as a propa student) classic photography C41 film...
  24. Ermintruder

Rubber= rub-a-dub-dub, fanks for the grub, I've 'ad me potaters, so I's orf to da pub I am beginning to develop mild tremors due to the commercial over-use of "We're on it". I'd flagged this one before, but it really does elicit the gag reflex in me. And individuals who assert "I'm on it, like...
  25. Ermintruder

The Madeleine McCann Disappearance

I'm sorry, this is a terminological inexactitude (quite aside from the layer of irony you've applied). Assuming a median gross income for British medical doctors of £150k per annum, any family with a steady income of nearly £0.3M a year before tax has to be viewed as being resolutely...
  26. Ermintruder

The Perpetual Fires Of Mount Chimaera (Yanartaş Area, Turkey)

Referred to, somewhat-enigmatically within both articles is the term "serpentinization" (maybe everyone knows the term- I didn't. My contextless geo-guess would've been 'the action of river-making'....which would've been totally wrong)...
  27. Ermintruder

Let The Right One In (i.e. NOT Alexa)

There is some genuine usefulness to be gained in having optional verbal HCIs (human:computer interface), but this underpinning concern about 'ambient monitoring' (ie what amounts to pseudo-anonymised constant spying) needs to be properly addressed by the corporate datamonsters, especially...
  28. Ermintruder

Witnessing Death

This is an astounding and fascinating statement. Thank you for sharing it. May I please respectfully ask: do you mean that the fragrance made you think of this experience, or that you directly-experienced these thoughts, or; is it impossible to say which of these circumstances occurred...
  29. Ermintruder

The Good Stuff Online Thread

That is substantially because James Burke is just utterly & completely brilliant. His full "Connections" series was outstanding. He is right up there with Sagan, Azimov & Bronowski as one of the perfect science & technology broadcasters/writers (ps That information about Tony Slattery was...
  30. Ermintruder

'Fake' History Of America: No Beach Towels = Civilization Reset?

I feel that he may be suffering from a much-more mundane 'condition' which I shall term strident naivity, underpinned by an uber-confident quasi-articulacy. For example- he lays great stock in how the 1890s/1900s postcards appear (to him) to have been modified using 'Photoshop'..."an app that...
  31. Ermintruder

That appears to have been quite a contentious find, within the world of archeology. And whether that disk example is an ancient original (or a modern-day forgery), oddly-enough, a full set of possible meanings for the symbols jumped out at me, the instant I saw it. Will give my offered...
  32. Ermintruder

Personal Perception Of Time: Ongoing Anomaly

This is an odd and disconcerting effect for me, personally, right now Often, in recent times, I've stereotypically bemoaned how fast the years are passing. This month (for me by massive contrast, within my perceptions and references) has been almost an eternity. It is a very strange...
  33. Ermintruder

Study Proves Parachutes Don't Save People Who Fall Out Of Airplanes

But were they pushing the envelope? !-)
  34. Ermintruder

Study Proves Parachutes Don't Save People Who Fall Out Of Airplanes

Ah, but they were at a height of 6,371,000.6 metres above the centre of the Earth, and travelling at a speed of between 500 and 1000mph relative to the moon
  35. Ermintruder

New Chronology (Anatoly Fomenko): A Revised History Timeline

I'm intrigued by his statistical text methodology. We are all victims to the effect whereby an enshrined factual error becomes an observed inarguable fact - yet also, nowadays, we live in an online ocean of semi-unmodifiable insubstantial factoids Certain of his claims (eg that Solomon was...
  36. Ermintruder

What Music?

37. Ermintruder

This sadly is often the case. As I've openly admitted, I cut my Fortean teeth upon first-edition Von Daniken books, back in the late 60s/early 70s. However, even back in my short-trousered sandlehood of differential thought, I was never willing for one second to accept radical alternatives...
  38. Ermintruder

New Chronology (Anatoly Fomenko): A Revised History Timeline

NOTE: This excerpt has been copied from another thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fake-history-of-america-no-beach-towels-civilization-reset.65746/#post-1851451 ... I wonder whether the likes of Fomenko actually believe some of the radical claims they make? One of...
  39. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

Ditto-snap. This was the comedic equivalent of nails on a chalk-board, crossed with a ten-car pileup on ice. Exactly. 'And all fur charidee....'These meta-parody comics are just toe-curlingly....too close to reality. Same with Borat, Bo Selecta and suchlike. I think even Dame Edna is just on...
  40. Ermintruder

Humour & Jokes

That was horrifying. He makes Alan Partridge seem like Jean-Paul Satre.
  41. Ermintruder

I'm sure I am not the only forum member to be intrigued by the layered complex ramblings of the YouTuber Barnabas Nagy. He makes a huge range of very-doubtful outlandish claims (but- he can be interesting at some points). I shall try to paraphrase just some of what he appears to claim: this...
  42. Ermintruder

Brucie In A Bottle Bafflement

It appears not to spell Beelzebub. But perhaps it does
  43. Ermintruder

Is this Grimsby Advertiser image watermarking? Mike's phone need not then ring, he can just keep kicking his balls. And....umm....in a rather nominatively-deterministic mode: the news reporter is, of course, 'Paige Freshwater'.
  44. Ermintruder

I think the can of "Flaming Moe" energy drink and a rosary (?) really help to add scale reference within the photograph. I hope they don't get blessed with the chance of photographing Nessie, or a Close Encounter with a UFO Why am I now getting a Sammy Davis Jnr impression from the drawing...
  45. Ermintruder

Yes it does. I still think this is not an old-age picture of Bruce- it has a younger feel to it Ah. Good point. Never thought of that Conventionally, yes. Or, equally-conventionally could it be a relative score, '9 out of 10'? [EDIT- no, you're right, I'm wrong....it's "09", clearly meaning a...
  46. Ermintruder

I'm intrigued about the lack of comment on the article regarding two of the numbers on the sketch, or the signature. "388007" (I think?). Perhaps written in Tippex / white correction fluid. A large number. Suggestive perhaps of a six-digit mobile phone-number, without the carrier/company code...
  47. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness

[pedantic_mode]'Northern UK' would mean Scotland, North of England, and Northern Ireland. Wait....maybe that's what you meant, rather than just Lanc/Yorks/Northumbria? People in England tend sometimes to use the term 'UK' when they really mean England. Oops. My head just fell off[/pedantic_mode]
  48. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness

Frequently-used Scottish names for 'tv remote control' include doofer, dibber, hingmyjig, geezit, gizmo, clicker, doodah, wotsit and doobry. Hmm. I've got to confess (as a Scots non-Glaswegian frequent visitor to Glasgow) I tolerate the lingo, but have real problems...fully believing what is...
  49. Ermintruder

Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Do you have especially-unusual teeth, like a tiger shark? Or perhaps the dentist (or their staff) have a bit of a....passion for your presence. Play hard-to-get. Test their thresholds by arriving just 30secs before your appointment time...but, be speaking to the receptionist, on your mobile...
  50. Ermintruder

Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Good grief, how the hell did that happen? And can it be reversed? (I'm asking on behalf of...a friend :-/ )