Search results

1. catseye

A15 Lincolnshire Road Ghost (Ruskington/Sleaford)

Brought back onto the resurging thread by IbisNibs...and having a quick catch up, it occurred to me... the 'plague pit' for Lincoln that's being mentioned. Maybe it's not 'plague' as in the Black Death and therefore medieval, but could it be a typhoid burial ground? I note that Lincoln had a...
  2. catseye

Minor Strangeness

When my mum and dad put double glazing in our old house, the men who took the old window out of what had been my bedroom pointed out how much thicker the glass was at the bottom of the frame than the top, and how it had a 'fault' in it that made objects seen through the window appear to...
  3. catseye

Adventures In Sleep Paralysis

I've had pain in dreams. I used to dream I was being injected with something and when I woke up I'd still have the sore spot on my arm. Also felt stomach cramps (which my dream brain translated to labour pains and a dream of giving birth). I also feel heat in dreams, rarely cold. I can smell in...
  4. catseye

Minor Strangeness

Not sure if this belongs here, in the co-incidence thread or in the dream thread, but I found this one first... I dreamed about Rolf Harris last night. Not a major dream, just that he was there and I was vaguely worried about his presence, although it wasn't integral to the dream. This...
  5. catseye

Haunted Construction/Renovation Projects

I'd guess that more modern houses have floors that are raised on joists and boards, whereas years ago houses had earth floors that were just laid on the ground that house was built on. Which might be why some ghosts are perceived as walking below current floor level.
  6. catseye

The Graffiti Thread

Somewhere I am sure there is a book on 'The Wit and Wisdom of Toilet Walls'.
  7. catseye

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

I used to think like this - that maybe my emotions could have left a trace in some of the places I lived in. But that would mean that practically anywhere that had ever held teenagers (remember being a teenager? Remember that state of living with heightened emotions when everything was just so...
  8. catseye

My Lucky Escape

I had the 'kids and windows' one too! We lived in a little terraced cottage in a National Trust village (which meant that you couldn't change the windows) and had those big heavy sash windows, plus three toddling kids and a baby. I was downstairs with the baby, when a friend passing knocked...
  9. catseye

The Reverse Haunted House

There's a house not far from where I live that was the location of a murder/suicide (he shot his wife then hanged himself in the outhouse). It was for sale a while back whilst a friend was looking for a house to buy, fairly cheap, lovely (isolated) location. She looked at it, but decided not to...
  10. catseye

Not tough. Just poor.
  11. catseye

Have You Got A Double?

My mother and her older sister were often mistaken for identical twins. There was sixteen months between them in age, but they were very similar physically. I couldn't see the resemblance myself, until I looked at a picture of my mum and her two sisters together sitting on a bench at a family...
  12. catseye

I live in a house like that now. My 200+ year old house has never been updated, so I've got the lot, dislodging roof hatches, rattling door furniture, curtains that freeze to the window panes and no central heating. I suspect there are plenty more people like me, in houses they are too poor to...
  13. catseye

Photographs Of Gnomes

I always think it's just humans, being all human-centric. 'If a tree falls in a forest and there are no people around to hear it, react, spend all their time asking each other if they heard that noise, did it make a sound?' If a tree falls in a forest and a squirrel hears it, that doesn't...
  14. catseye

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

This is in line with my experience that anything dropped in a bathroom will bounce off several unlikely surfaces before falling down the toilet.* *Yes, I know I could always keep the lid down, but I don't, all right?
  15. catseye

So, those houses that were left boarded up for 50 years never attracted squatters or vagrants or derelicts, or drug addicts or partyers looking for somewhere quiet to, ahem, 'party'? Because 'somebody' might have died there... The 'someone must have died in a house for it it be haunted'; I'm...
  16. catseye

Photographs Of Gnomes

I find it difficult to picture a wood where there is not a single ear, be it deer, rabbit, mouse, badger, squirrel etc.
  17. catseye

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

I don't know whether it's children being more 'in tune' with the other side, or whether children have an innate inability to distinguish between 'real' 'imagined' and 'dreams'. Very small children will often swear that their dreams were real, because they haven't got an understanding of the way...
  18. catseye

Minor Strangeness

Have you tried tapping either one or both? Sympathetic resonance will sometimes do it, if you tap the outside one and pull the inside at the same time...
  19. catseye

Ed & Lorraine Warren

I wonder if they labelled everything as 'demonic' because they could provide a solution to this via prayer, holy water, exorcism etc? I don't really know much about the Warrens (although I'm now minded to find out), but reading this thread made me think. People these days seem to want 'instant...
  20. catseye

I may have found a possible culprit! Noodling around on the Paranormal Database as a result of another thread, I found this posting. Teaspoon Stealer Location: Ramsey (Isle of Man) - TE Brown House Type: Haunting Manifestation...
  21. catseye

There's only me and my brother. My brother does not resent the spoons (now, there is a sentence that I shall probably never have cause to write again) and lives over 350 miles away. These spoons just...vanished. Gradually and slowly over a few years, they moved through the ether to....somewhere...
  22. catseye

I am having to eat porridge in order to keep warm. I'm not even Scottish.

I am having to eat porridge in order to keep warm. I'm not even Scottish.
  23. catseye

The Madeleine McCann Disappearance

It just seems to me that the parents are 'damned if they do, damned if they don't'. Take too much interest in a case, try to keep it in the public eye and they are castigated for wasting police time and resources; take less interest and they are clearly guilty because they are trying to sweep...
  24. catseye

I inherited some spoons from my mother - she used to collect 'interesting' spoons, the ones with little pictures on the handle. I know we had a Mannequin Pis and one from Jersey... I have absolutely no idea where any of these spoons have gone. The only spoons I have left (still seven) are plain...
  25. catseye

Witnessing Death

Lord Lucan, I cry every time I think about the dogs. I think because *I* had to make the decision that the time had come - although it clearly had for both of them (loss of use of back legs). With my mum and dad, they both died of natural causes, both mercifully before things got any worse, both...
  26. catseye

The Grey Man Of Ben Macdhui

Maybe the witness hasn't spent the night on the mountain? I'm sure the "shadow" must occasionally be seen by someone up there for an afternoon...
  27. catseye

Old—But Not THAT Old!

I run my first ever 10k race on Sunday. I'm 58. Pray for me...
  28. catseye

They can pick up the scent of a body. They can't tell you whose body it was. Or how long ago it had been there. That was my point, maximus.
  29. catseye

I dunno about the dog thing. I think it's placing an awful lot of faith in an animal that can't accurately communicate what it can smell. Was the dog reacting to the smell of a dead small child or the smell of death generally? 'Something dead was once here...' is very different to 'the body of...
  30. catseye

Lost Stuff

Very po faced, yes. Not so much as a giggle.
  31. catseye

My Not-So-Secret Admirer

I suppose the thing we have to keep in mind is how many people we see who aren't long lost mates/friends/partners.
  32. catseye

Lost Stuff

I am wearing serious outdoor trousers right now. Indoors. I am a rebel like that.
  33. catseye

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Oooooh!!!!! A FACE! Am loving these latest additions. Men jumping 20ft and running footsteps and a putative FACE - these are the proper, old-fashioned sort of ghosty things that I used to gobble up in my teens.
  34. catseye

Witnessing Death

I have sat with both of my dogs when they were put to sleep. The first one, my big dog, was more traumatic as it was hard to find a vein and he wasn't enjoying them trying. Second one, with the small dog, she just lay on my lap and was gone. Very peaceful. But it's not a great 'last image' of...
  35. catseye

What The Hell Is Mr Winkle?

Too much competition now to make it worthwhile her starting up a Mr Winkle Junior. Everyone with a pug seems to put it in a dress and shove it on YouTube these days. I find myself shouting 'Just have a baby! It's clearly what you want, something to pet and dress up and show off!' And then I go...
  36. catseye

My Strangest Experience

In the Biblical sense?
  37. catseye

My Strangest Experience

I still have a milkman. There are several out here in the wilds of Yorkshire!
  38. catseye

Witnessing Death

Thanks, Swifty.
  39. catseye

Witnessing Death

I was given the chance to view my dad's body in his coffin before the funeral. My brother said it would help me grieve. I refused. On the grounds that he'd been getting iller and iller and I wanted to remember him as he was when he was younger, full of energy and more vigorous, rather than as...
  40. catseye

Moving To A New Place

It does look very traditional!
  41. catseye

Strange Strangers

Or fairy outfits for cats? <shudder>
  42. catseye

Strange Strangers

There was a lot of talk of 'dress boys like girls so the boys won't get stolen by the fairies', but I'm still not sure how true any of that was. I'm sure people believed that this might be the case, but I'm firmly on the side of 'dresses are more practical for nappy changing.' Also the long...
  43. catseye

Anyone Suffer From Vertigo?

I read somewhere that a fear of driving over high bridges can be a precursor to agoraphobia. I'm not agoraphobic but I do hate driving over bridges (the Humber bridge is a case in point). I'm terrified my car is going to suddenly swerve and fly off the side.
  44. catseye

Personal Perception Of Time: Ongoing Anomaly

I also suspect residual stress is altering your time perception. Interesting that you think this month is dragging - for me it's flown by (but then I have a deadline at the end of the month, and there's nothing like that for making time fly), but it was January that dragged. I swear January...
  45. catseye

My Strangest Experience

The Drama channel. Number 20 on my set. Every day, just after Bergerac. Ahem. Not that I'd know of course. Er. Just what someone told me.
  46. catseye

Strange Strangers

I think a lot of it might be down to practicality. No all in one babygros in those days, or easily washable fabrics, and washday might be one, long arduous Monday every week. If you've got a little lad in nappies (those awful big towelling ones that took ages to dry), then you'd want to make...
  47. catseye

Strange Strangers

My dad (born 1928) was the last born, two older sisters. He wore their dresses until he was five. Bearing in mind this was a very rural family, I wondered if this was a remnant of the old custom of dressing all children alike, in dresses (facilitating nappy changing) until the boys were...
  48. catseye

Strange Coincidences?

True... must rectify that.
  49. catseye

Witches

Women were witches. Men were surgeons/doctors etc. Training was denied to women, so they passed cures from generation to generation by word of mouth. There must have been men who picked up the same information - even if only by listening in as their sisters were taught - but if that kind of...
  50. catseye

Strange Strangers

May be a throwback to the generations when girls were merely ornamental, at home until they married (except for the one daughter expected to stay home and care for the elderly), while the boys went out and earned prestige and money, thus raising the family's stock in the neighbourhood? 'Their...