Search results

1. Bad Bungle

Mytho Needs To Write A Novel

Fifty Shades .. of DOOM !!
  2. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

I was going to put this in the Farming thread months ago, but I detected a hint of ambivalence towards Farmers. People seem less judgemental about livestock so I'm putting it here - it is about cows but it's not Fortean, it is not new science (40 years old) but it was my first Scientific...
  3. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

I thought the advice was that you didn't need to outrun a bear, you just need to outrun your companion.
  4. Bad Bungle

Mytho Needs To Write A Novel

"something something something .... of DOOM !!"
  5. Bad Bungle

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

I heard it took half a dozen Hammy the Hamster to finish one season of Tales of the Riverbank
  6. Bad Bungle

Bobby retired to a Farm in Wales - that's Showbiz.
  7. Bad Bungle

Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

I was promised such a mug for renewing my Fortean Times subscription way back when - except that I was sent a T shirt instead. It was a size medium. Oh how I laughed ... for about 2 seconds until I realised it was useless as I'm an XL. Now in a charity shop somewhere near you.
  8. Bad Bungle

I expect you're right, I'll have to dig one of the old books out.
  9. Bad Bungle

Stuff You've Just Bought

I'm not a fan of pea and mint soup.
  10. Bad Bungle

Meg's a Wiccan I believe ?
  11. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

My very first post was about 'buzzing' in the Pan(ic) thread. I do not wish to meet Pan thank you.
  12. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

As an adult I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the concept of Dairy farming. I am grateful that a gene mutation in a European ancestor 10,000 years ago allows me to be lactose-tolerant, but it's just the idea of ensuring a lactating mother is made pregnant again to keep the milk...
  13. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

Imagine the cows mulling over this during the Evening milking - to them I was the spooky Fortean phenomenon.
  14. Bad Bungle

Racing Cows

I was a teenager in the late '70's and my father gave me a farm job in the Summer holidays as a means of earning some cash (or maybe just to get me out of bed). I'd gather the cows up at the Dairy after the morning milking and herd them down a long track to a field that had good pasture but no...
  15. Bad Bungle

A large snail or slug obviously got into the car and had been there quite a while - passenger seat, rear seats and foot-wells all covered in silvery slime trial. Can't be arsed to find if culprit's still there until I've had my coffee.
  16. Bad Bungle

Phrenology

Classically 35 (as listed here) https://www.verywellmind.com/example-and-overview-of-a-phrenology-head-4111124 Working on how to get 'Philoprogenitiveness' into a sentence - just done it !
  17. Bad Bungle

Kids Today

My sister stopped at a junction in her home town of Stowmarket (Suffolk) and spotted two youths on the street corner nonchalantly staring at their phones. Reversed baseball caps, Bling, baggy trousers at half-mast, clown shoes - they looked a treat. As my sister stifled a laugh, two stunning 17...
  18. Bad Bungle

What Could An Advanced Civilization Work On Next?

'Hell is other people' (Sartre) - people will have to learn to get along with each other. There was a story in 2000AD where Barney the Computer decides to make it Christmas every day for the residents of the Des O'Connor block. One little girl wanted a doll, another little girl also wanted a...
  19. Bad Bungle

Ran over my shoe laces with the hoover, now one is 10 inches longer than the other. *sigh* YES it was just the laces.
  20. Bad Bungle

Films That Would Not Get Made Today

Thought it was marvellous - heck you can even get Leon and Mathilda in Lego.
  21. Bad Bungle

DNA Testing For Supernatural Powers

In my personal opinion, if there is a psychic on/off switch in the brain then a considerable number of genes or extensive gene-interraction would be involved - and it would appear in everyone's genome (just not switched off in some individuals maybe). Like studying the coding for 'intelligence'...
  22. Bad Bungle

Half-reminds me of an amusing story of when I had to empty my Mum's commode pot and the outside toilet was frozen solid. I got a kettle of hot water and a latte spoon and - nah it's gone.
  23. Bad Bungle

Oven and Microwave proof ?
  24. Bad Bungle

The Unwhinge Thread

He was Woss's first guest and took over the show.
  25. Bad Bungle

Gor bless you ma'am for kindly taking an interest - it's embossed with 'The Pampered Chef' USA and I think it's a batter jug (very thick glass) but missing the lid. Shame it won't fit under the bed.
  26. Bad Bungle

The Unwhinge Thread

First saw Mr Norton on Channel 5 'Bring me the Head of Light Entertainment' and turned over. But he has calmed down and learnt a lot and is certainly worth his fee. As Agony Uncle for the D.Telegraph on Saturday he gave remarkably sensible and mature advice. First saw Jonathan Ross on the...
  27. Bad Bungle

Nothing special today but jolly useful (maybe) - a 2 litre (4 quart, 8 cup) glass measuring jug (50p) that will be used either for watering the plants or serving gravy, custard, white wine.
  28. Bad Bungle

Found a way (after a year) to cancel a lottery ticket subscription - only two more charities to go.
  29. Bad Bungle

The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

I have a Natural Burial Ground a few miles from me - a large field with the Departed buried in bio-degradable coffins (cardboard) and no markers that I can see. As long as the process doesn't affect the Water Table and the field isn't let out to Metal Detectorists, I reckon this is a relatively...
  30. Bad Bungle

Dowsing

It seems odd thinking about it now but I never tried dowsing for water using a forked stick as a child. I grew up as a semi-feral farm kid and I had a Fortean bent and water divining was certainly known about (no-one EVER referred to it as water witching in the '60s, but nor was it called...
  31. Bad Bungle

Stuff You've Just Bought

'Confessions of an English Opium-Eater together with Selections From the Autobiography of Thomas De Quincey'. Published 1950. £2.99 Oxfam.
  32. Bad Bungle

There are now plans to introduce 'green corridor cemeteries' in the UK ie bury the dead alongside motorways and railway lines. This makes some sense as there aren't pavements or public access alongside the major routes (suppose you'd throw a wreath out of the window as you passed) - just as long...
  33. Bad Bungle

Dug out an electric fan for the sitting room, not 'cos it's hot but because it's 86% humidity but still won't rain. Moving it to the bedroom tonight.
  34. Bad Bungle

Where Are The Wild Hamsters?

I watched Fred Dinenage on children's prog 'How' years back explain that a Zoologist had read in old Arabic texts of a rodent (alhamastir) living in the Syrian desert but no-one knew exactly what was being described. He went out searching near Aleppo in 1930, lifted a stone slab and found a...
  35. Bad Bungle

Arachnophobia

Agreed. In the house, but not on the pillow and definitely no face exploring when I'm asleep. I had a spider scuttering across the bedroom floor some years back that was of sufficient size for it's leg joints to click.
  36. Bad Bungle

Day Of The Animals

The Kennel Club Dog Photographer of the Year (Dogs at Play category) Waylon the Australian Shepherd playing in the mud (Monica van der Maden, Netherlands)
  37. Bad Bungle

Do the opening shots still linger on Minnie Caldwell's pussy ?
  38. Bad Bungle

The Unwhinge Thread

The Customer Service/lottery/baccy counter at my Morrison's is in darkness on Saturday mornings - poor lass had to use a torch to check lotto numbers last winter. Small cheer at twenty past ten when the lights come back on. Not a whinge but find it odd. Then someone explained that Morrison's...
  39. Bad Bungle

Road outside Work has been dug up again, think it's Fibre Broadband this time, before that it was Water, Electricity, Water again, TFL Underground problem and the chance to try out a new Trench-digger. When a twenty metre section of road gets finished, it is re-surfaced, lines painted on it and...
  40. Bad Bungle

LOA (The Law of Attraction)

Ah, I'll stop looking for the book - although I did find a couple of fascinating ones along the way I didn't know I had. 'The Power of Positive Thinking' by Norman Vincent Peale was very popular in the Cold War obsessed United States in the '50s. But I think you needed God and Jesus on board for...
  41. Bad Bungle

Nowadays What Are Libraries For?

As my mother became increasingly bed-ridden, I plundered the Talking Books section of my local library. I wasn't charged as a Carer but the difficulty was finding something that would appeal to both of us as we ate our Tea. Thank goodness for Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Douglas Adams. The...
  42. Bad Bungle

LOA (The Law of Attraction)

My goodness - I didn't know what the Law of Attraction was but after starting to read this thread this morning, my first thought was 'that reminds me of creative visualisation'. I went looking for a book in my diminutive Fortean library I read 40 years ago, but whereas most of the books survived...
  43. Bad Bungle

Graveyards / Cemeteries

Walking back from a seminar today I got lost (!?) - 40 minute detour through Somers Town (Camden, London), leading to Old St Pancras Church and the Hardy Tree. In the 1860's the Midlands Railway was being built over part of the St. Pancras churchyard. A young Thomas Hardy (the Novelist) helped...
  44. Bad Bungle

Simulacra

No, the Prophet is sudi5 who will see the profound in the mundane The Offering will a cake of soap taken unwillingly from Enid Coleslaw The Sacrifice will be onetwothree after succumbing to a Brain-worm The Gatekeeper will be a giant hound sleeping in the Forest The Keymaster will be an invader...
  45. Bad Bungle

Anniversaries

50th Anniversary of the 1969 'Soccer war' or '100 hours war' between Honduras and El Salvador, that started on the day of a World Cup qualifying match. The night before the first game, the El Salvador's team hotel was surrounded by Honduran fans, making sleep impossible for the visiting team (El...
  46. Bad Bungle

Random/Peculiar Images

They look like they've been caught in their own headlights.
  47. Bad Bungle

Who Would Populate A Sister Planet ?

There seem to be plenty of volunteers for the first manned Martian expedition at the moment - even though this would in all probability be a one way trip. So let the brave attention-seekers and those with poorly developed survival instinct take the first steps.
  48. Bad Bungle

Who Would Populate A Sister Planet ?

Obviously.
  49. Bad Bungle

What Are You Eating & Drinking?

But it's yoghurt - with grain !
  50. Bad Bungle

What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Bought discounted yoghurt from Waitrose - Onken Plain Grain but I didn't check. It's yoghurt with raw grain - grain as in wheat and barley, in a yoghurt. With grain. I want some self-respect back.