Search results

1. Eyespy

Strange Folk

AnonyJooz- good point but my bad as I forgot to mention he was in a brown habit, calve length- looked like coarse wool.. The Monastery at Stratton is Downside, I think Benedictine and they wear Black, usually down to ankles. We used to have a priest from the community at our church, don't see...
  2. Eyespy

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Switch the font colour to white really winds people up. If you have the time try resetting spellchecker. Dutch works well, better than French. USA English is to subtle for an immediate reaction but can lead to long term exasperation.
  3. Eyespy

A Fun Little Nature-Themed Happening. AKA: Too Much Anthropomorphising

My Black dog has recently started growing white eyebrows, this has given him a slightly quizzical look which is rather appealing, particularly when he cocks his head sideways and looks up at you ( sorry this sounds like a certain late royal princess). We are also getting through more Scooby...
  4. Eyespy

Minor Strangeness

Guess what has been my earworm all day? Edited to say since about 07:00 long before I looged into this site!
  5. Eyespy

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

My mothers cat used to bring home random bits of clothing- usually socks, but the odd knickers occasionally. I think size was an issue as he was quite small and ladies around there tended towards more robust underwear. May be Trish is being targeted by a crack squad of domestic animals?
  6. Eyespy

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Zebs, I share your unease about that gap, its definitely a bit wonk*. Not keen on the way the dark trees are reaching over the path either- I 'd probably deviate from the well trodden path here. Great that someone was able to give us some context for this story though, nice pictures. Hope the...
  7. Eyespy

Scientist Believes She’s Found The Recipe For Ancient Roman Concrete

Great find MO, any idea where this tidal lagoon will be?
  8. Eyespy

Ties

What is a Turtle neck Dickey? sounds a bit dodgy
  9. Eyespy

Beware Liquorice / Licorice!

I drink Liquorice and mint tea- there is a warning on the box not to drink more than 2 a day. it is much nicer than it sounds.
  10. Eyespy

Ghost Or Demon?

This puts me in mind of something I was listening to on R4 Saturday, apparently there is some political angst in France at the moment about protecting the natural noises of the countryside. Many people unfamiliar with the racket that surrounds us country dwellers are calling for action to get...
  11. Eyespy

The Friend Who Wasn't There

so many people on here had unhappy times at school, I wonder if there is link between this early negative experience with authority and our need to question, assess and exam the experinces of others without rushing to judgement. Sorry- that sounds pompous- went to a very intimidating girls...
  12. Eyespy

Strange Folk

I swerved to avoid him, did not see him in rear view mirror but it is a very narrow hedgelined bendy road. However, I think he was real as a collegue saw him or another one like him on the Friday wandering across the main road in Shepton. She was struck by his apparent unconcern for any...
  13. Eyespy

Minor Strangeness

I used to have one in my garden by the kitchen door, and it was my first thought- but no sign if anything like this plant. This was a more a more "rounded" smell than the plant I used to have, like someone had made a proper curry, ground spices etc. My curry plant was a slivery green with...
  14. Eyespy

Minor Strangeness

A little evening oddness, walking the hell hound through fields last night about 20:00. Beautiful quiet evening, Birds warbling, cows mooing, grass swishing etc. Following a footpath through a field of tall grasses when I encountered a strong smell of curry, this distinct and rather pleasant...
  15. Eyespy

Strange Folk

Thursday 20th around 16:30, thanks to various road closures and a wilful satnav I found myself lost in the little lanes around Shepton Mallet. Driving round a particularly tight bend I was confronted by a pale young man with a Monks habit around his waist in the middle of the road. He had long...
  16. Eyespy

The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

They do a shower gel to help you sleep- Its a depressing mauve colour but it works- I have to hide it from daughter as it apparently smells lovely. Hope you get back into a proper sleep rhythm soon- I have real problems staying asleep, hence shower gel before bed time.
  17. Eyespy

Interesting Thread On Digitalspy Forums: 'Creepiest Things'

This bought back a long forgotten memory. About 30 years ago I was collecting my stepfather from the mess at Netheravon on Salisbury plain. It was very dark night and I saw someone lying in the road on the other side of the carriage way. I wanted to stop- I could see someone clearly in...
  18. Eyespy

Wright-Patterson AFB's Connections To UFOs / Ufology

We were based at WPAFB in the early '90s. There was a lot underground then, not all of it secrete as we had an International liquor store organised by Canadians in a bunker. They had some interesting stock, which may be connected with some of the more unusual evening sightings.
  19. Eyespy

The Unwhinge Thread

The lovely Mark at Husqvarna sewing shop took my poorly sewing machine from my arms and quickly made it better. gave me a lecture on treating it gently and charged me nothing. Made it back to the car before the heavens opened as well. Definitely a good day
  20. Eyespy

The Unwhinge Thread

IIRC Perkins Mauvine- the first synthetic dye was made from a residue produced whilst trying to synthesise quinine- its a long time since I had a chance to flash my BTEC in chemistry. Mauvine was a purple and really popular with the upper classes.
  21. Eyespy

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Staying in a rather quaint B & B over the Bank Holiday, I don't usually sleep well particularly in a strange bed but Saturday night I slept like a log and had the oddest dream. I was at my current work place and a colleagues was on the phone about an audition she had to attend, she was a bit...
  22. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

And I loved sapphire and Steel!
  23. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

Zebs I know what you mean- creepy and disconcerting. My mother has an oddly position mirror at the end of her staircase, you sort of half see yourself partway down the stairs- Not when you are up the top or down at the bottom, just when you are in the middle. The stairs are uneven and poorly...
  24. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

I am sure there is something on the site about Liminal spaces like staircases and hallways being especially common locations for encounters with the odd. My mother came out with this old rhyme last week in one of her more lucid moments " As I was going up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't...
  25. Eyespy

Boot Anomaly

Even brands can vary dependant on where they were made and if they are using identical lasts.
  26. Eyespy

France Asks: Can You Solve The Riddle Of The Rock?

Its very deep carving for an idle prank, but I don't think this is 230 year old message. As an aside, characters with a score through are necessarily Scandinavian. Zeros are sometimes scored through in hand written messages to make it clear they are not O, although this does seem like extra...
  27. Eyespy

France Asks: Can You Solve The Riddle Of The Rock?

the dates don't really "prove" anything, I would like to know if there are any records of this stone older than 5 years and if any analysis has been dome of the carving style and technique. the letters look very deep for something supposed to be on a beach for a couple of hundred years.
  28. Eyespy

Canine Forteana

reference the way dogs circle before evacuating- I was told years ago that this is to stimulate the lower bowel into action. made sense to me at the time.
  29. Eyespy

The 'Dog Poo Blossom Tree'

djbrennan, you could submit a request for the information to your local council as they would be the ones handing out the fines.
  30. Eyespy

My Strangest Experience

A friend of a friend told me that "Pie in the Sky" is after Lovejoy..........
  31. Eyespy

Lost Stuff

Just come back from a few days in North Devon with friends at a rental cottage. day one, the chaps had gone out early saturday with the dog for a manly walk and talk. They were rather a long time and we gals debated following them but realised they had taken the only key, so we waited untill...
  32. Eyespy

Believe It Or Not. What Have You Changed Your Mind About?

I have gradually shifted my position on the idea that there are multiple realities, I now think that this is a reasonable explanation of many fortean phenomena*. Previously I thought it was a trick used in sci-fi movies to cover plot holes. * also neatly explains why I get greeted by people I...
  33. Eyespy

Booze News

The bar where my daughter works are currently experimenting with a Gin and Kale cocktail. I have not offered to taste test.
  34. Eyespy

Strange Strangers

Tom Kerridge was currying them on Womans Hour yesterday- said he wanted to make them even more fun.
  35. Eyespy

Green & Blue

We girls had hideous bright green check polyester school shirts, , sweaty and seriously unflattering. PE kit was also green polyester- skirt and drawers with huge aertex shirts. All designed to repel any male at 50 paces.
  36. Eyespy

The Meaning Of Trees

I was told as a child that the Celts of these parts ( South west) had a counting system based on trees, this is the only bit of tree lore I can recall being told, the rest I must have absorbed as I feel like I have always known it. I had no idea that the distinctive smell is similar to that...
  37. Eyespy

Faeries

had a quick look, really need to sit down and read properly. Actully the few I have read have come as quite a relief as I am not the only one who has seen something they cannot rationalise away.
  38. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

Henry, I really cannot recall anything about his walk or gait. I worry that if I think about it too much I will end up creating something misleading. As far as I can recall he sort of pushed himself and his burden into the hedge. The "grass" was quite long and my viewing angle was low which...
  39. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

Walters Ash- near high Wycombe. We were living in married quarters at the time- hence the overgrown hedges and gloomy garden. House was a bit grim too.
  40. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

Hi Henry, David- I estimate the gnome to have been about 8 inches high. I was on the ground so looking at him rather than down on him. The mouse seemed dead, slung over the shoulder like a rubbish bag with the tail as a handle. I am saying him because it looked like a male- grubby and a bit...
  41. Eyespy

Forgotten History

If anyone is interested in this, I was passing through MSN last week and took a couple of pictures of the memorial stone. I was cornered by a local who was a distant descendant of one of the men killed. It was known locally who was responsible , it was a case of jealously over a promotion of one...
  42. Eyespy

Stone Circles Of Modern Origin

There is a modern monolith in the little valley near Priston Somerset. I believe it was erected in 2014 and the stone came from Wales. There is a little bit of information in the nearby pub- Ring of Bells which does an excellent range of ciders and decent food ( Fire place and bowling alley...
  43. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

I am pretty sure I have previously written up my gnome/ Nisse story, but cannot see it here. This is it in short. It was the day of Diana of Wales funeral my husband was watching this whilst our children were playing upstairs. I could not bear to watch those little boys following the coffin...
  44. Eyespy

Tech-Induced Injuries & Maladies

WRULD= Work Related Upper Limb Disorders. This kind of injury is cropping up a lot more than they used to in connection with Tech use. As the line between work and private use becomes more blurred this is becoming a work place problem. Employers have a duty of care to ensure that work...
  45. Eyespy

Photographs Of Gnomes

Intersting that the gnome appeared to be really "pissed off". The one I saw looked really hacked off as well, not a bit like the story book grumpy/smiley chaps you expect. I attributed his expression to the realisation that he had been seen and was being watched.
  46. Eyespy

Forgotten History

We used to live in the area it was mostly filmed- very odd seeing it on screen. Now we live surrounded by place names oddly similar to those in Midsomer murders. I don't think the locals are a particularly murderous bunch.
  47. Eyespy

Forgotten History

I came across a local mystery last week in Midsomer Norton. A small memorial to the 12 miners ( men and boys) killed in 1839 when the rope they were being lowered into the mine on was deliberately cut. A verdict of murder by person or persons unknown was bought in. Goggle has not been able to...
  48. Eyespy

Green & Blue

Green does have an association with death in many cultures. It was/is the colour of Osiris when he is reassembled by Isis after being murdered by his brother as well as in the examples above. Theatre wise, from a pantomime costume perspective green can be tricky as it tends to blend in with...
  49. Eyespy

POLL: Have Your Experiences Confirmed Your Beliefs Or Not?

learning all the time. having seen "fairies" that I could not rationalise away really made me re think my "every thing is explicable" outlook. Then I discovered this website which was full of people who have experienced similar moments of doubt. In a way it is quite reassuring to know I am...
  50. Eyespy

A Story From An Old File: Using Death To Transport Opium

My uncle served in Northern Ireland and he would tell stories of Children and babes in Arms being used to smuggle weapons and explosives, I suppose this is just an even more evil extension of that, I'm with Frasier- there is no hope of redemption for much of humanity.