Search results

1. S

The Mayday Mystery

Just checked out the MaydayMystery site for the first time in months as whenever I had looked recently it was just saying he (Bryan) didn't have time to do any updates or whatever, and there's finally a bunch of new updates in the 'recent developments' section. I've been following it for many...
  2. S

Fortean Board Games?

ooh. Treasure of the Pharaohs. I used to have that I think. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1015 ... e-pharaohs Yes, that's the one. I'd forgotten all about it! Steve.
  3. S

Absurd ghosts

Would these count as poultrygeists? Steve.
  4. S

Garden Gnomes

If they do an animatronic one, I'm sold...
  5. S

Did Jesus Visit Britain?

Time Team did a dig at this site last year: http://www.channel4.com/history/microsi ... index.html
  6. S

The Mayday Mystery

More than likely, but considering the costs that have been wracked up over a couple of decades, they'd have to be pretty rich and patient intellectuals.. Steve.
  7. S

The Mayday Mystery

I'm back... not that I've actually been anywhere - I just gave up coming here after the hassle of the changing usernames... Still tearing my hair out over on the mayday page with no luck. I feel like I'm skittering on the edge of something that I just can't quite grasp. Maybe because...
  8. S

Spam etc

But why should I have to filter something I chose not to receive? I don't mind if they want to send me unsolicited email that I deliberately told them I did not want to receive though. I'll read it very carefully and thoroughly. As long as they don't mind me invoicing them my standard...
  9. S

Spam etc

I got one that started: Like others, I made sure I filled all the boxes in to not be sent junk mail. (and I've just checked - that is still the case). Which means that Dennis Publishing is probably in breach of the relevant bits of law covering marketing email and the data protection act...
  10. S

Quitters & Shape-Shifters: Last Words & Reincarnations

Is it possible to become a four letter word again? (No, not that four letter word) If possible, can I lose my trailing zero? If not I'll have to have a rethink and come up with something else I suppose. Steve.
  11. S

Shortwave Number Stations

I recently bought a radio scanner - one of those impulsive purchases off ebay - and had tried finding some of these number stations - it was randomly discovering a web page or two about them that got me looking on ebay for scanners in the first place... I've not yet stumbled across one...
  12. S

Space Shuttle Discovery

Well, I've got some Turkish coffee... Steve.
  13. S

London Explosions: News

Bomb scare at Euston apparently. Not on any news yet, but hot from someone there. Steve.
  14. S

Spaceship Capricorn daily messages

You mean, like some sort of ark full of telephone hygienists and the like? :D Steve.
  15. S

And talking of not being connected to the bombers: Source Hmm. I think someone will get hauled over the coals for this one, and whatever the truth which we may never know, it could weaken security if politicians start calling for the police to be disarmed or similar. They haven't said...
  16. S

London Explosions: Speculation / Discussion

Ug. I'd like to think that if it came to it, and I was dead either way, I'd at least go out trying to protect others. But I have no idea what I would really do... Probably depends on the situation, whether there was someone else doing something about it and whether there was a reasonable...
  17. S

Latest snippets from the at-a-glance page: Steve.
  18. S

Source Retaliation? Or an attempt to destroy evidence? Speculation at 11. Steve.
  19. S

According to CNN: Steve.
  20. S

more breaking news on the BBC but no story yet: armed police surrounding a mosque in East London. Steve.
  21. S

They said on News24 that two people have been arrested, one at Westminster and the other on Tottenham Court Road, but didn't confirm that either arrest was directly connected. I've also seen two different reports for the Oval - several saying that the bloke got on a train, dumped the rucksack...
  22. S

'dismayed'??? seems a minor explosion if the person wearing the thing that exploded could look dismayed! So either it's an accident - mobile phone battery shorted out or something, or an explosive that didn't detonate properly. Of course, I'm merely hypothesizing... Steve.
  23. S

Source Also just mentioned on the BBC lunchtime news as a breaking story. :x
  24. S

Blue Atmospherics (Anti-Crepuscular Rays)

Thanks for those links - they linked to another site that had a picture of sky polarization that looks another possible contender... the picture given on that page was through a polarizing filter that exaggerated the effect. The anticrepuscular ray looked possible too, but I don't think it...
  25. S

Blue Atmospherics (Anti-Crepuscular Rays)

The night before last I popped out to the shops and saw a weird atmospheric condition that I'd never seen before: a deep blue stripe running from the horizon up into the sky. It was probably about 9pm so still light but just starting to turn to dusk, weather was excellent, hot, mostly clear...
  26. S

Emergency contact

I've been sent the following by email. On the face of it, it could be a good idea. However, I don't know whether it is genuine or a chain letter. It fits the methodology of the latter: asking you to forward it to everyone in your addressbook and so on. I don't think it really comes from the...
  27. S

I didn't see it, but I guess this from the BBC is the same person. Steve.
  28. S

This is bad, if true - goes against the spirit of the Blitz and all that..: Source.
  29. S

I've only heard one joke, which I don't regard as being sick, although some might just because it's a joke about a serious topic. But to me, that's the British way - humour is a way of dealing with a bad situation, mainly through sarcasm or wit rather than outright tastelessness. Anyway: I...
  30. S

still not 'official', but: Source edit: stupid cached edit page keeps undoing my changes..
  31. S

Just saw this bit on one of the BBC pages: That sounds like it can't have been a small bomb. Steve.
  32. S

Does anything ever? :D Steve.
  33. S

hmm, this is just a wild unfounded speculation, but having seen a news article about police being freed up from the G8 to come back to London, what about if this was an initial attack designed to draw anti-terrorist forces away from G8? Steve.
  34. S

The CNN page has a front page headline saying 'US sources say at least 40 dead'. But when you read the story it links to, it says 2. Edit: Actually, if I read more than the opening paragraph of the story, it does in fact say 40. Steve.
  35. S

Heard of, yes. Seen anything about on the news, no. I've also heard of incidents in Brighton and Swindon but again, nothing on the news - and all of these I'd heard a couple of hours ago.. Don't take this the wrong way or think I'm making light of the situation - I'm not, and it's a...
  36. S

just saw the bbc ticker thingy say that some fatalities have now been confirmed at Edgeware Road station too, but didn't seem to be a story on it. And congestion charge has been suspended today to allow people to drive in since there's no public transport. Steve.
  37. S

'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova

Just noticed, there's a signed and dated 1st edition on ebay if that sort of thing takes anyone's fancy. Steve.
  38. S

Fortean Board Games?

this one? Steve.
  39. S

'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova

Just ordering it now... I'll make you feel guilty if I don't like it :D Steve.
  40. S

Mystery "Lost" Items

Bah. I've lost/misplaced/had gnomes walk off with a fairly critical handbook to do with a road rally I'm taking part in. It's not small, and I know I had it right here at the computer at about 11pm last night because I was looking something up in it and that's when I sent an email about it...
  41. S

Garden Gnomes

Gnomes return to haunt villagers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4634145.stm
  42. S

Brian's Predictions (Website)

Other people have noticed that he changes them, although they seem to be mobbed by believers who I suspect would probably be more inclined to believe that Google secretly and maliciously altered their cached version :-) However, on the matter of why, someone on that thread did suggest that...
  43. S

Fake or not, there's still some gems: Two star quotes from the same day: Some good luck happening to someone, somewhere in the world, with a T in their name. What are the chances? Others though are a bit behind the times - in March he predicted flexible computer monitors, something I...
  44. S

One thing that does make me wonder though is how putting people on his no-spam mailing list gets him money: Steve.
  45. S

Nicely spotted! quick comparison of the two - that's the only one that's been added. Then again, the cached copy was from the 28th so it'll only have that.. However, it also seems that his pictures are numbered sequentially. The helicopter is number 448 while the ones either side are 409...
  46. S

And: Quick, stop google from producing maps. Make terrorists buy paper ones instead. Steve.
  47. S

I do like: from 2nd June... So specific with it's details... Steve.
  48. S

The Mayday Mystery

I thought they'd specifically denied being Masons before. Or was it Templars? I can't find anything on the site about it but this page does refer to the Orphanage denying being directly related to freemasons, so it must be somewhere... I had been thinking wikis would be a good idea for the...
  49. S

Dr Who

Yep, that's how I read it. The Tardis (or the heart of it anyway) left the 'Bad Wolf' bits scattered through time - but whether the words themselves have any significance is a mystery - then used Rose to talk to the Doctor. Also, it appeared that only Captain Jack was brought back to life...
  50. S

Exorcism Murders

Another UK version of the same story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4107524.stm excerpt: Steve.