Search results

1. packshaud

Where Do You Shop For Your Fortean Books?

OK, so to not say I don't visit bookstores... These are photos of some large used bookstores in my state capital (Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil): Beco dos Livros Martins Livreiro Sebo Café Riachuelo Sadly, they are mostly out of Parapsychology and Forteana titles (I know this very well, being...
  2. packshaud

I should have added that it is trivial to look for used book stores using a search engine, of course. If you find one, you can ask for the address of other ones to patrons or the owners. One of these days I wanted to buy a rare book (published in Wisconsin, USA), so I looked for bookstores and...
  3. packshaud

Well, we all have our favorite books. In those, there is a bibliography, with several titles you want to hunt down. Which library has them is a bit irrelevant. Of course, this has a problem of fossilizing thoughts. General Fortean books are important to avoid this, but the titles more than...
  4. packshaud

In Which Issue Did The 'Fairies, Folklore and Forteana' Column Start?

Yes, I am considering a full Fortean Times set. But since shipping would double the cost of the magazines, I decided to settle for digital versions whenever possible. Right now, I am checking to see how far different vendors go back with old issues. Zinio carries the magazine since FT268 (Nov...
  5. packshaud

In Which Issue Did The 'Fairies, Folklore and Forteana' Column Start?

The title says it all, I guess. I found it at least in Fortean Times 321 p. 25 (an edition with The Fairy Investigation Society on the cover), but it was not on the index. So, I am wondering if there are older ones.
  6. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Yeah, this is one of the cases I would count as the real thing.
  7. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Many moons ago, I watched a Transtel documentary (incredibly old, but maybe this part is still current) stating that the brain perceives as "present time" things that happen in a window of about three seconds. Events during this timeframe might have their order garbled. Normally our notions of...
  8. packshaud

Suggestions For A Good Read

You know, I do not like this. Horrible memories from the past are coming back. Many moons ago, a movie called Alien was made, with a terrible monster on it. "In space no one can hear you scream." Fast forward to some years later, and scores of the terrible monsters are being mowed down by the...
  9. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Meteorites were considered lunacy until 1803, when thousands of the impossible things fell in a French city [ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1803-rain-rocks-helped-establish-existence-meteorites-180963017/ ]. I would much rather go with my guts telling me about the presence of...
  10. packshaud

Facsimile Gutenberg Bible Page—But Which One?

These are available from several sources. Be sure to shop around.
  11. packshaud

Suggestions For A Good Read

It is also free on Amazon US.
  12. packshaud

Facsimile Gutenberg Bible Page—But Which One?

Speaking of Gutenberg bible pages... Single sheets sometimes are available on the market. Who knows, maybe these just fetch the price of a house (in a zone I can't afford, anyway); I have no idea about the real prices for those. For the book below, I would advise against buying it outside of...
  13. packshaud

The Bibliophilia Thread

It would be wonderful if the errata for the poisonous mushrooms--in a book for children--was glued to the page where the error occurs. That is a relic of a bygone era.
  14. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Consider that the alternative to elderness is being dead.
  15. packshaud

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

Because latte is often served in long cups like these:
  16. packshaud

The Bibliophilia Thread

I only know Frisvold and Skinner from the authors, but really, the book looks nice.
  17. packshaud

The Bibliophilia Thread

This book, Mythical Creatures of the U.S.A. and Canada, was made of unobtanium. After e-mailing about half the used book stores in Wisconsin (US)--the state where it was written, I figured out it would be easier to find it there--, a copy appeared on AbeBooks--from a Wisconsin seller, but not...
  18. packshaud

Homo erectus, Etc.

The concept of other species is becoming fluid. Gone are the times of Linnaeus. If Neanderthals are another species, what sections of their genome are doing inside us? Yes, I know their genes linked to XY chromosomes are notoriously absent, showing some degree of incompatibility; this whole...
  19. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

I am slowly getting more sympathetic with the Luddites. I appreciate a lot my paper books, immune to dying flash memory cells (fortunately I don't use mechanical hard disks anymore; rust spinning over a glass disk in a sealed container filled with helium doesn't inspire confidence). Of course...
  20. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

The fairies stole ten seconds from you. Be careful, they might get greedier over time.
  21. packshaud

'Ghost Hunting' Shows Are Getting So Bad That It's Beyond Amusing

This remind me I need to read a book I bought, Ghost Hunting: A Practical Guide, written by Andrew Green and "updated for the 21st century by Alan Murdie, Chairman of the Ghost Club," according to its back cover. I hope it is not a shopping list for the overpriced junk you mentioned. Perhaps I...
  22. packshaud

Ghost Books On eBay

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to sell them?
  23. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

In Brazil, I think there is a standard calligraphic pattern taught in public schools; some letters in private ones are different. Even knowing that, it was sort of uncanny when I found in a drawer a postcard made with colored glue, from my kindergarten school, back from the 1980s. It had a tree...
  24. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Interesting. I saw photos of sealed glass bottles with odd objects floating in mercury, to demonstrate its high density--bolts, stones. Catseye said "the men who took the old window out of what had been my bedroom," so it may have been made with the old process.
  25. packshaud

Spanish Coins That Significantly Predate Columbus Found In The Utah Desert

Never underestimate the naivety of people. I am not rich enough for rare coins, but my small, expensive pendrives more than once found their way to freedom.
  26. packshaud

When you just bought them for an insane price in a store. You wouldn't believe the tenacity that small expensive things have to find holes anywhere they are carried.
  27. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Glass used to be made with a centrifugal process, in a spinning disk; then this disk was cut to make panels. The external part tended to be thicker, and when assembled in frames, probably the thick part was installed at bottom--or not if the difference was too small to be noticed, which would...
  28. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Carl Jung calls meaningful coincidences synchronicity. My one thumb rule if to wait for two repetitions (in your case, another one) to call it so; of course, my eyebrow raises when just one happens, specially if the stuff appears in a dream before seeing it next day (you possibly picked it the...
  29. packshaud

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Only in the UK, where big cats are not supposed to be in the wild; in, say, parts of Africa or Brazil, they would not be noticed by the general public ("With every passing year, there are more of those things here. Meh."). Out of my... imagination, don't quote me on these, perhaps...
  30. packshaud

Lovecraft Mythos Is Reality ?

Yes, I'm quoting your signature; I appreciate Mr. McKenna's commitment to the pursuit of knowledge, but just maybe he went a bit too far with the 'shrooms.
  31. packshaud

The Unexplained (Books) - Still Viable?

There is possibly a full set available right now, my problem is money. About half the cost is to ship the individual magazines to Brazil; then, to acquire the hard covers for each volume separately (I want the covers of the parts because of the letters from readers included there). I might cut...
  32. packshaud

The Unexplained (Books) - Still Viable?

A small subset of The Unexplained was published in Brazil, also as a partwork, with the name Inexplicado; Orbis is mentioned in the copyright section. There were 31 parts, combined into two volumes. I own the bounded volumes, not the individual parts. Here is the cover of # 30, taken from an...
  33. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

When you mentioned cups, I thought of the models without holders... what in the world am I seeing here? I blame Satan for this, it is the most logical explanation.
  34. packshaud

Could Cabbits Really Exist?

Okay... why isn't anyone talking about the more interesting thing on that site, the theory, explained over several pages, that humans are the result of hybridization between ancestors of bonobos and pigs?
  35. packshaud

Dagon Priest Images On U.K. Building?

At least you can be sure it is well kept.
  36. packshaud

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

At least we would know where the portals they use are.
  37. packshaud

Way back then, I surely would have these precious coins with me at all times, specially if I was a soldier like Ermintruder said. The time gap between the coins and the lack of other ones, in my opinion, points to a collector. The creepy part is what the poor former owner did when he realized...
  38. packshaud

The Power Of Silver

This is terribly more accurate than you think. Gold can't be corroded by the chloridric acid in stomach, so the flakes reach... the other side intact. Isn't it wonderful?
  39. packshaud

Minor Strangeness

Several days ago I was victim of two optical illusions at my night shift work. The sky was filled with homogeneous clouds. The part where the Moon was showed some texture, and refraction of light was showing a bright, elongated, irregular spot. Having watched about a thousand too many science...
  40. packshaud

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

I skimmed through the first and the last pages on this thread, and perhaps what I am going to write was already done by somebody. Everyone knows that it is possible to listen to a particular sound when there are several sources in the environment. For example, hearing a civil defense siren...
  41. packshaud

The Power Of Silver

Unfortunately, there was a problem. The publisher, Llewellyn, used the ISBN10 in the 2001 edition. And for the new one, they used tha same code, converted to the new ISBN13/EAN format. As a result, often the records for both editions are mixed. You can buy it at Amazon US or UK; it's difficult...
  42. packshaud

Six Books On UFOlogy & Extraterrestrials

The books are now sold.
  43. packshaud

Lovecraft Mythos Is Reality ?

I will recommend this (long for the Twitter generation, but whatever) article: Lovecraft's Secret Source for the Cthulhu Mythos, [ https://secretsun.blogspot.com/2014/08/lovecrafts-secret-source-for-chthulu_9.html ]. Yes, I could make the name of the article clickable; I prefer not to do so...
  44. packshaud

The Power Of Silver

I will comment here a book about all kinds of supernatural beings, written by an occultist. Yes, I said occult; this might be too much for several people here, but remember: consider all opinions. Disclosure: I believe this stuff is correct. I want to say that the explanation of the world given...
  45. packshaud

I'm just dropping a line to tell you I posted a reply in an old thread you made, and which you...

I'm just dropping a line to tell you I posted a reply in an old thread you made, and which you might not have subscribed anymore: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/looking-for-earth-mysteries-type-stuff.59402/
  46. packshaud

Looking For Earth Mysteries-Type "Stuff"

I know I'm gravedigging, but since you are a staff member I will assume you are still here. All the numbers (1-10) of the At the Edge magazine are now available for download as PDF files at http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/moremm.htm I think if you have any issues of 3rd stone and Mercian...
  47. packshaud

Orb On Video

I like this orb case, in January 2nd, 1998, in a Brazilian city. Automatic translation of an article on the case: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=www.oarquivo.com.br%2Fextraordinario%2Fufologia%2F1269-a-sonda-de-capao-redondo.html I like it because it was recorded on...
  48. packshaud

International Fortean Organization

I suggest The Anomalist site. They publish links to fortean news. The ones I miss updates are The Fairyist (at least Mr. Young released Magical Folk this year) and Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog.
  49. packshaud

$1 Million To Prove Life After Death DOESN'T Exist

Quick, tell Joe Nickell about it! He will show, without a shadow of doubt, that the prove is owls.
  50. packshaud

The Bibliophilia Thread

When you want to get a certain set of books, you must always get first the scarcer ones, so that you will complete it. I learned this when I dabbled into coin collection and there was the concept of key dates--the scarcest ones, that will be difficult to acquire. The first thing you must not do...