Search results

1. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

I agree. I wasn't completely defenseless. I always have 2 knives within arms reach in the car. One a 20" machete. (See, Tarantino re: my life.) And I'm not trying to trivialize it, just use a bit of dark humor to deal with what I know was a deadly serious situation. And a traumatic one...
  2. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

[ UPDATE!!!! Holy F*CK!!! Hunck, You are a prophet, sir. And my life is a f*cking Tarantino movie, for real. This story just got WAY CRAZIER than it already was, if that is even possible. So, I've been trying to find out what happened to him, but privacy laws are stupid, so no dice there...
  3. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

The hardest part is not being able to find out if he made it, as privacy concerns are only doubled because it happened in another province, and I don't even know his full name. And none of the paramedics, (ok I get that, they are busy helping him), but no other fireman or emerg responder even...
  4. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

Thank you! I do think I did something amazing, I just hope it works out long term for the guy.
  5. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

Yeah, tell me about it!!
  6. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

Thank you, Escargot. That means a lot.
  7. Gizmos Mama

Most Horrible Day Ever?

So, as I mentioned in another thread, I am in the process of buying a boat. It is on the west coast, in Washington, USA. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Just about 1000 kms away. I drove out Thursday/Friday, to do the sea trial, (test drive and inspection, basically). Everything was great...
  8. Gizmos Mama

Societal Complexity Creates 'Big Gods' (Moralizing Deities), Not the Other Way Around

Makes sense. Tiki idols and crocodile gods don't care what you do, as long as they get their worship or sacrifice. The tribe took care of dealing with "problem" individuals, probably only when behaviour was detrimental to the tribe as a whole. But when the tribe, who all have a life time to...
  9. Gizmos Mama

Stuff You've Just Bought

I haven't actually bought it yet, but I did put an offer on my dream, sail around the World, sailboat, and I'm waiting to hear if the offer is accepted. I'm so nervous and excited!! :wacky:
  10. Gizmos Mama

Strange Coincidences?

Here's a small home grown coincidence. I was reading this Thread today, which mentions Edward Bulwer-Lytton. I've never heard of him before, and as Peripart mentions in the thread, he is "famous" for two things, trying to have his wife committed, and writing the line "It was a dark and stormy...
  11. Gizmos Mama

Human Corpses As Radiation Hazards

Well, do tell!
  12. Gizmos Mama

Dogs That Saw Something Their Owners Couldn't

And the last video, there could be a small animal trapped in the close end of the pool. Or perhaps a snake under the patio flags that it was smelling that was making it nervous? I, however, completely empathize with the girl in the first video, as literally last night, I was sleeping on the...
  13. Gizmos Mama

Bizarre Cambrian Echinoderms Finally Identified

Ha Ha! I also questioned why I assumed it should be symmetrical as well. I guess so many animals are symmetrical, that it struck me as odd. Then I was thinking it was possibly like that from growing into/onto rocks. I was also reminding myself that the farther back you go, the stranger the forms...
  14. Gizmos Mama

The Troll's Head

Ummm... were we not supposed to do that?
  15. Gizmos Mama

Bizarre Cambrian Echinoderms Finally Identified

How weird is it that it doesn't have body symmetry? Edited to note that only part of it's body is asymmetric.
  16. Gizmos Mama

Did Actor Stage His Own Racist Attack?

It appears he also may have connections to a Democrat politician, Kamala Harris, who is trying to pass an anti-lynching bill into law. Since there hasn't been a lynching in the States in 40 yrs, it appears that just might have something to do with it. Possibly? She was also quick to jump to his...
  17. Gizmos Mama

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)

There are some very interesting points brought up in the comments of this video, by a couple of people who claim to be related/know of these people, and they have some interesting thoughts on the subject. The comments are replies to the top comment. Have a look...
  18. Gizmos Mama

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Is that David Carradine? Or Putin? An angelic ninja who created the world? This is crammed full of WTF!! Excellent! (Sorry, black belt, not ninja.)
  19. Gizmos Mama

Teal Swan

Except that narcissists aren't the victims, they are the abusers and do a lot of harm. And if this one is specifically targeting vulnerable, depressed people to manipulate, because she believes she has some "special" healing powers, (see narcissist) she deserves to be called out for what she is...
  20. Gizmos Mama

The Revenge Of A Trionychidae

Thank you! You always have very interesting stories. I also wonder what form of revenge a turtle might enact on his attacker, but it's sure to be cold-blooded.
  21. Gizmos Mama

Political Correctness Rides Again

Ones that easily get in a bunch, apparently.
  22. Gizmos Mama

Thank You

Thank You!... all you mysterious people who made this work on short notice!! Yay! :twothumbs: :cheer: :hoff: :adored: :itslove:
  23. Gizmos Mama

The Troll's Head

Cheers! *Gulps back ground glass and celery! Yum! Oh btw, since the forum isn't closing after all, I'm going to need that final round back from everyone. Thanks.
  24. Gizmos Mama

The Troll's Head

Sharp, for me please! :airk: :group: :boozing:
  25. Gizmos Mama

The Troll's Head

Make it a Ceasar, Please! Not too spicy, tho! And a final round (on me) for everyone!!
  26. Gizmos Mama

The Troll's Head

jush wandered in to tell you... I love you all !!!! (don't mind me, I've had a few at home already)
  27. Gizmos Mama

Weird Weather

Holy crap!! That must've been massive hail stones. They are lucky to be alive.
  28. Gizmos Mama

My thought was that a worker has possibly broken the watch crystal while working, making it impractical to wear, but kept the watch at the cabin as a "clock", and it could've been there for years, serving that function. That does bring up the most intriguing point in the whole episode for me...
  29. Gizmos Mama

My guess about the watch was that it was left in the cabin by a forestry worker long before the lost men ever got there, and has nothing to do with the case.
  30. Gizmos Mama

Minor Strangeness

Yes, I know I mentioned some weirdness with a ladder in my yard, but it would be high strangeness if (I was home at the time), someone managed to bring in the bulky ladder, set it up and get into my attic. Plus, even with that particular ladder, it would be a stretch to reach the trap door. How...
  31. Gizmos Mama

Venus Fly Trap & Its Vague Origins

Yes, I have a rain barrel! lol Unfortunately, I'd d have to move them inside during the -30 C winters, and there's no room.
  32. Gizmos Mama

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

And if you are traveling against the wind, and your destination is upwind, if you don't tack regularly, you will go way off course. ;)
  33. Gizmos Mama

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

I think many of the mistakes people make nowadays in speaking/writing and general use of the language, stem from exactly this. Change tack is an excellent example. Nobody knows that is a sailing term for turning the boat, usually so you didn't run into something, (like land), or so you didn't go...
  34. Gizmos Mama

Flaming Hole In The Ground (Arkansas, Sept. 2018)

Imho, if it was near a drainage ditch, it was most likely methane or H2S building up from rotting vegetation.
  35. Gizmos Mama

Minor Strangeness

There is about 4-6" of slack in the wire, so I don't think so? To put it another way, I can hang the alarm off the end of the wire, once the plug is secure. Yep, it's fine. So weird! I should also add that I live in a single house, no attached dwellings, and the only way into the completely...
  36. Gizmos Mama

Minor Strangeness

The small three prong plug had been completely unplugged from the back of the alarm. No chewing or broken wires, and the other connections are secure. Also, I was home, and inside most of the day, so if someone was in the attic, messing with wires, I would hear it.
  37. Gizmos Mama

The Unwhinge Thread

This is exactly how I'm going to be paying my mortgage early. House is 650 sqft, built in 1912, which is pretty old, (not for UK), but it is for here.
  38. Gizmos Mama

The Unwhinge Thread

I renewed my mortgage recently. I went in wanting an accelerated five year fixed. The bank lady was confused why the computer wouldn't give me any options for my preferred mortgage. She called someone, and when she got off the phone, she was embarrassed because she didn't notice I HAVE LESS THAN...
  39. Gizmos Mama

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

But at least they're grammatically correct... ...you know, north, south, east and west... ... when read clockwise.
  40. Gizmos Mama

Minor Strangeness

A slightly weird thing just happened... Mid-day, I was just sitting on the couch, and suddenly the kitchen smoke alarm goes off briefly, like, 1 second. The red light is flashing, so I figure the back up battery is going dead, and change it. The battery is a square 9 v. I should also mention...
  41. Gizmos Mama

Venus Fly Trap & Its Vague Origins

Wow, amazing! I so wish I didn't live in a high altitude semi arid climate, and could grow beautiful/deadly plants like this! As an aside, and only off topic a little, my favourite weird plant is the pomegranate, which is unique, in that it doesn't have any known related species existing in the...
  42. Gizmos Mama

The Lone Coastguard!

A rescue is underway for a solo sailor in the Golden Globe Race who was severely injured and his yacht dis-masted in the Southern Ocean during a storm. Other boats have also been knocked down and damaged. https://goldengloberace.com/ggr-day-83-code-red-alert-update/
  43. Gizmos Mama

Modern Funeral Customs

I stumbled across this lovely Lady on Youtube, and she has videos on almost every subject concerning death, the dead, and Modern Funeral Customs, (traditional and non) than you may care to watch, as she doesn't shy away from the most taboo subjects. A very interesting, professional and...
  44. Gizmos Mama

Elon Musk

Too bad then, that he still seems to come up with the most moronic things to say and/or Tweet. Like, how hard do you have to ponder the question, "should I repeat (and add to) complete falsehoods about someone I've never met and know nothing about, in a media interview, because he hasn't got...
  45. Gizmos Mama

Pareidolia

Devil Fish? Yikes!
  46. Gizmos Mama

Simulacra

I spy, with my little eye.... [SPOILER="I see a descending koi fish in the middle, (dark dot is eye). I also see, diagonally up & to the right from the "eye", is a miniature bald head with a big mustache. "[/SPOILER]
  47. Gizmos Mama

Yeah, it's cheap, but don't wreck, because, if it's anything like here, you have no insurance on a race track.
  48. Gizmos Mama

I think the true WTF is how he didn't come off the bike. A seagull's a pretty hefty thing to hit with your head at 100+ mph.
  49. Gizmos Mama

Night Terrors & A Haunted Girl

Very, VERY creepy! Could she have had a deceased twin that perhaps she didn't even know about? That would explain that similar looks.
  50. Gizmos Mama

Weird Weather

Fittingly (sorta?) in regards to hunck's post above... is the smoke from more than 550 forest fires in the province west of me (British Columbia, Canada). I took some video while I was out on the boat, and it was crazy! I've never seen anything like this. And every time you go outside, it...