Search results

1. Zeke Newbold

Things You Swore You'd Never Say Or Do When You Got Older

i don't have any beef with contemporary yoof. At worst they can be a little overemphatic with their ideals - the whole `woke` thing, but there are worse crimes than that. (Russian youth in particular are resilient, spirited and dedicated - it is they who will finally see off the Putin regime -...
  2. Zeke Newbold

'Snowflake' UFO Above Rio De Janeiro

Mmmmm! MmmmMMMM! This Humble Pie tastes quite nice actually - especially with a dash of Brazilian pesto sauce on it. So there are still one or two unanswered questions but the above is as good a fit as you're likely to find - so it was (most likely) one of those Balano Pontundos. Trust those...
  3. Zeke Newbold

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

That's setting the bar unreasonably high isn't it? I think in such a situation it would be quite probable - and human - for a person not to recall exactly where they stopped - particularly if it was an area they were not so familiar with and don't go to often. Enola posted an elaborate -...
  4. Zeke Newbold

I am glad that we seem to agree that it's (probably) not a drone. However, I'm not so sold on the balloon explanation either. Balloon was my default option - but there's something about the way it moves - or rather doesn't move (balloons usually rotate or twist a bit in the air) which appears...
  5. Zeke Newbold

I'm going to stick my neck out and put the case against this being a drone: * I've done an image search on drones - and I invite you to do the same - and I just can't find a match for what seems to be shown on the Janeiro video. As has been said, this thing has ten protuberances - whereas most...
  6. Zeke Newbold

From last November: this short video filmed in Brazil. Now the immediate source is the ridiculous Scott Waring - but he didn't film the video, so let's not be too quick to shoot the messenger. In fact I first came across this new sighting in the Russian hard copy press.The claim is made there...
  7. Zeke Newbold

Your Victorian Villain

Enter Silverdale Kazanskaya! A sexually ambiguous art thief with special powers learnt - some say - at the feet of the young Rasputin himself! Be afraid. Be ever so slightly afraid!
  8. Zeke Newbold

Horror Films

Just out in Russian cinemas: Stray (Tvar). A stylish family drama-cum-mystery-cum supernatural chiller. A couple in early middle age, who are trying to get over the loss of a son, opt for adoption. They turn up to an orphanage runs by nuns and have a look at what's on offer. The mother rejects...
  9. Zeke Newbold

Great Dystopias

A superb ruminatiion on Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four by a Russian translator who is producing a fresh new Russian edition of the novel.( I had no idea that Orwell's dystopia played such a big role in Soviet dissident life)...
  10. Zeke Newbold

Fortean Book Suggestions, Please

A few books that have given me pause for thought and/or just diverted me over the last ten years: Will Storr vs The Supernatural by Will Storr. https://www.fishpond.co.uk/q/will+storr+vs+the+supernatural I'm not a natural ghost enthusiast, but Storr has to be one of Britain's best journalists...
  11. Zeke Newbold

Russian (Nuclear?) Missile Explosion Incident (2019)

If that's a reference to my post above then please let me explain. The sentence in which I make sweeping generalisations about Americans was a direct parody of something that AlchoPwn had said - in post 8 - about Russians. My intention was to use the Quotation facility to twin our two remarks...
  12. Zeke Newbold

Russian (Nuclear?) Missile Explosion Incident (2019)

Came late to this. `So American remains a vast bloated nation of obese resource guzzlers wallowing in their own trash culture and acting as though they own the world, despite the fact that most of them don't even own a passport`. [cf post 8 above by alcho Pwn] This stuff's so easy to do...
  13. Zeke Newbold

Inexplicable Small Watcher By The Roadside

Everyone is fixating on the object. But, really, that's the least interesting thing about this incident. Let's face it - it could have been that, it could have been this. It could have been any damned thing (especially considering the visual conditions which Enola outlined above). I could have...
  14. Zeke Newbold

Horror Films

So... AVANPOST (`Outpost`/`Blackout`) is more of a science fiction action thriller than horror, but anyway - it's one of those knock `em dead lavish epics with which Russia periodically surprises the world with. But I SO so wanted to like it more than I did! We are in a near future Moscow (...
  15. Zeke Newbold

Unusual Gentleman

The soundtrack is a Russian pop song (from the Nineties, I'd say). However I am not at all sure whetther this has been dubbed on later or was a part of the real time sound when the video was taken. The man appears to be manipulating - or attempting to - some kind of audio player, and seeming to...
  16. Zeke Newbold

Inexplicable Small Watcher By The Roadside

Some immediate responses. I am having difficulty visualising exactly what sort of form you thought you saw: your description takes in an upright hare (with its back to you?), a capital `A` and a Captain Caveman`. That's too many metaphors in one go. Could you be alittle more precise as to the...
  17. Zeke Newbold

Zombie Films

From Russia 2012: Meteletsa: Winter of the Dead. This is pretty much a paintin g-by-numbers zombie siege flick - although it does have some Russianisms lobbed into the mix, such as a zombie slaying Russian orthodox priest, some mobsters and a general anbience of Russian provincial life. The...
  18. Zeke Newbold

TV & Movie Clichés

This plotline cliche has migrated onto contemporary popular fiction (which is how your metioned film began its life). I've just finished The Party by the bestselling British suspense writer Lisa Hall: https://www.fishpond.com/Books/Party-Lisa-Hall/9780008259167 This one pretty much goes...
  19. Zeke Newbold

Good Posting Practices

RE: the `DailyMailification` of this board. Sorry, but I think some people just need to calm down a bit. I would have agreed with that line if it had been said three years ago during a certain national `debate` - when it seemed to me (and some others) that a particular line was being pursued...
  20. Zeke Newbold

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

An odd sequence from a longer dream (the rest of which is lost to me) which had an odd ring of significance about it: In the dream I was speaking to a real life Austrailian teacher colleague (who in real life I haven't seen for years). She made a confession to me. She told me that in her...
  21. Zeke Newbold

Haunted Swimming Pool?

This reminded me of - and I didn't want to be reminded of it - of an early gross out short story by Chuck Palanhuick (he of `Fight Club` fame). In it a young man derives pleasure from sitting atop a pools sunction pump in a pool...and, well...with somewhat disturbing and graphically described...
  22. Zeke Newbold

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

Oh, come on now! Some of us here are getting a tad hoity-toity and precious about Mr Watson's supposed heinous immorality! As a blogger - and in common with pretty much every other blogger -I wll often use an image without `prior permission`. It would simply take too long to do it any other...
  23. Zeke Newbold

The New Members' Thread

I take umbrage, sir! It is not for individual members to act as judge and jury as to what constitutes `Fortean` and what doesn't! This forum covers a very broad spectrum of ideas and approaches - and that is its strength I think the overall drift mught be something like: `weird`, `overlooked`...
  24. Zeke Newbold

Unusual Gentleman

Not wishing to make a freakshow out of what might be a man with disabilities...but... Posted by Igor Burtsev, the Russian yeti researcher, the original province of this video seems to be unkown - as does the location at which it was shot. There has been a suggestion that what we are seeing is...
  25. Zeke Newbold

Horror Films

Coming soon to Russia: AVANPOST (THE OUTPOST). A science fiction/horror endtimes thriller in which a large proportion of the world's population has been wiped out due to causes unknown...while isolated unnafected areas struggle to survive and acertain what happened. The fact that this film has...
  26. Zeke Newbold

The Loch Ness Monster

The boat -collision-and-strip-of-skin story mentioned above is a new one on me too - but it does check out: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/loch-ness-monster-unsolved-mysteries-5008548 Some of the imortant details are somewhat vague - even the year is not fully certain and...
  27. Zeke Newbold

Spy-Fi: The New Trend?

A new voice in Spy-fi has emerged on the scene: Iain M. Rodgers with The Zima Confession. This is a complex, almost Kafkaesque, tale which begins in seventies Glasgow and takes us to contemporary Moscow and Frankfurt and elsewhere - all locations which are described vividly by an author who...
  28. Zeke Newbold

I Remember It Well....

Pffff! I can remember when nostalgia was proper nostalgia - Vera Lynne and Noel Coward - not white dog poo! But, anyway: Milk with cream. Milk used to come in bottles (and, weirdly, was delivered to your door by a chap in an electric van!) and if you were the first to open the bottle you got...
  29. Zeke Newbold

Hoax Deadly Animal Escape Posters

This jape was pioneered by - or at least popularised by - one Derren Brown. It's all in his 2006 book `Tricks of the Mind`. In there he tells of how, when he was a bored philosophy student in Bristol, he and a fellow student started a succesful venomous-tarantula-on-the-loose scare in Bristol...
  30. Zeke Newbold

Horror Films

New from Russia: Pain Threshold (Bolevoi Porog).In this survival/crime/adventure thriller a group of four tearaway rich kid Muscovite twenty-somethings go on a white water rafting outing in the Altai mountains.There they tangle with a group of escaped Russian convicts - and a deadly cat and...
  31. Zeke Newbold

The R.I.P. Thread

Just a few years back the Russians produced a decent biopic about the life and times of Alexei Leonov called First Time (Vremya Pervyh). So, in his memory, here's a taster (no subtitles, but it is largely visual);
  32. Zeke Newbold

Jordan Peterson

You;re right there- it's not an original concept - not by a long, long, long way! If you want to see how the Jungian archetypal mythopoetic approach can be applied to the problems of modern man - and I do mean man as in `male` - then you need to read Robert Bly. Start with Iron John (1990)...
  33. Zeke Newbold

My Personal Heresy

I'm going to put the boat out here: Post 2000 Doctor Who. (You heard). It lacks all of the features that made it a compelling and distinctive watch in former days: the cliff hanger endings, the awkward and fallible central character, the radiophonic workshop mood music, and the general...
  34. Zeke Newbold

Jordan Peterson

Well put Alcho! I had thought that some of your earlier posts on this seemed a little OTT - but here you account for your position well - and speak for me too in the process.
  35. Zeke Newbold

The Loch Ness Monster

I had a winter holiday in Loch Ness about 13 years back - and, yes, I was there on account of the monster legend. One thing that struck me at that time is just how much everyone seemed to be downplaying Nessie - and how little the tourist trade was making of it. The Inverness tourist shop, for...
  36. Zeke Newbold

Jordan Peterson

Can you elaborate on that Ogred? Who are you pointing and laughing at, and why?
  37. Zeke Newbold

Jordan Peterson

So, as you will have heard, Jordan Peterson has gone into rehab after becoming dependent on anti-anxiety medication following his wife's illness: https://www.westernjournal.com/jordan-peterson-rehab-horrific-withdrawal/ So how do we feel about this? For myself I have to admit to struggling...
  38. Zeke Newbold

Greta Thunberg

The fact that he's powerful doesn't mean that he represents all of Russia. That's my point.
  39. Zeke Newbold

Greta Thunberg

I live and work in Russia, mate - and have done for many years. Perhaps I actually know what I'm talking about!
  40. Zeke Newbold

Greta Thunberg

Just in the interests of balance and perspective: Russia has signed up to the Paris climate Accord (which, I believe, is more than Trump's America has done): https://phys.org/news/2019-09-russia-paris-climate-agreement-decree.html Russia's parliament has invited Greta Thunberg to speak...
  41. Zeke Newbold

OOP Person

Sorry to party poop, but, just from the original description, I don't see anything particularly Fortean about this. I work in a number of different schools and training facilities - and most of them are places where random people wander in - through being lost, in the wrong room- or checking...
  42. Zeke Newbold

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Okay I'm not - necessarily - making a Mandela out of this, but....Lyme disease. Whaaa!? Apparently it's quite a big problem in the UK right now: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-48606826 Since when has Lyme disease existed in the UK and how come that it is only now starting to filter...
  43. Zeke Newbold

The Most Frightening Or Unnerving Song

And if those haven't freaked you out enough then we'll have to go for the nuclear option. This happened and we let it happen: I'm so sorry for posting this. I really am. i'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I mean it. i'm really really sorry. Sorry! How can I ever make it up to you? I'm just so sos...
  44. Zeke Newbold

Gary Numan often tries to sound atmospherically eerie and sinister and so on, but generally fails to reach the mark - there is too much of an obvious pop sensibility behind his efforts. However in Pray - the intro to the great Sacrifice album - he almost gets there:
  45. Zeke Newbold

Ladies and gentlemen: I give you Small Was Fast by Pere Ubu - the band's journey into derangement via their brand of `avant garage`. Their American label refused to release this in America - so only us Brits gort to hear it when it came out.
  46. Zeke Newbold

Giving Up On FT

I don't get to see `F.T` all that much these days - what with living abroad and having an unreliable incoming postal system. but when I do manage to get my hands on it it I can see that the magazine still fills a market niche that nobody else seems to have claimed. It deals with the whole...
  47. Zeke Newbold

What Music?

Hey, that's absolutely gorgeous! The best rock/pop that I've heard for a very long time. Thanks for the lead, Wiganer!
  48. Zeke Newbold

Better Than They Need To Be

I would nominate Chris Langham's two biopics: George Orwell a Life in Pictures and John Whyndam: The Invisible Man of Science Fiction. These are brilliantly acted by Langham and manage to be both informative and entertaining at the same time (everything, in fact, that the BBC set out to be in...
  49. Zeke Newbold

Stephen King

I have a bit of a query concerning Mr King. In his rumination on the horror genre -Danse Macabre (1981 but updated in 2006) he makes a very dismissive one line swipe against the writer John Saul. Addressing the reader he says something like: `If your idea of a good horror writer is John Saul...
  50. Zeke Newbold

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Yes, I do know that Mytho! - I have followed your story - and wasn't trying to make any such insinuation. My beef was with the fact that people were jauntily discussing this affliction (regardless of causes) - in the `chat` section - when there was already a thread devoted to the news story...