Search results

1. maximus otter

Untranslatable & Indefinable Words

The following words and phrases are all pronounced “grab the cash while they’re still hot”: a) Hygge b) Mindfulness c) Vegan maximus otter
  2. maximus otter

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

Drinkers in [the Ten Bells] pub are being charged more after 10pm The Ten Bells pub in Spitalfields, which has been in place since the 18th century, is known for allegedly being a haunt of victims of Jack the Ripper. It has also appeared in Jamie Oliver television shows; the celebrity cook's...
  3. maximus otter

Fizzy Custard

Custard powder isn’t, strictly speaking, explosive. Any flammable powder at a suitable concentration, suspended in air, will flare up if ignited. lf said flare-up is confined, e.g. in a building, the results can be catastrophic. Mythbusters has demonstrated such energetic displays using coffee...
  4. maximus otter

Tattoos

l’d call that one “Stiffy Killer”. maximus otter
  5. maximus otter

Aviation Accidents

“JP-8 is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons used as a multipurpose fuel for commercial aircraft, as well as ground vehicles, generators, heaters and stoves. JP-8 and other kerosene-based fuels have been shown to cause skin irritation, skin sensitization and even skin tumors with repeated or...
  6. maximus otter

Video Footage Of Eastern European 'Hill Dragon': Lost It

:rollingw: maximus
  7. maximus otter

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

In Case of Emergency, Please Remove Your Bra Caught in a disaster? You'd better hope you're wearing the Emergency Bra. Simply unsnap the bright red bra, separate the cups, and slip it over your head -- one cup for you, and one for your friend. Dr. Elena Bodnar won an Ig Nobel Award for the...
  8. maximus otter

The Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Catastrophe

Cameras Show Animals Thriving in Fukushima's 'Uninhabitable' Radioactive Zone It's been nearly nine years since the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, and the natural world has wasted no time in reclaiming its space. Despite pervasive radiation, a new study suggests a sheer lack of human...
  9. maximus otter

Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

lt isn’t, believe me, unless this terrifies you: (The bit with the white line is the land of the Wild Irish; the bit without the line is civilisation, i.e. the North). *Sniggers, glances at watch, waits for @ramonmercado to pounce* maximus otter
  10. maximus otter

Bird Falls: Mysterious Deaths Of Birds En Masse

Which might be why they weren’t found... maximus otter
  11. maximus otter

Fortean Headlines

And the man doing the picture-in-picture signing only uses one hand! maximus otter
  12. maximus otter

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

Reading even Wikipedia’s account shows that this incident didn’t occur in a vacuum. The sections entitled “Radio Communications” and “Potential Factors” show that the crew of the USS Vincennes were under more stresses and constraints than simply those of combat. maximus otter
  13. maximus otter

Selkies & Feminicide

On the subject of selkies and folklore, may l take this opportunity to recommend to my fellow Forteans the superb film The Secret of Roan Inish. It features Susan Lynch as Nuala the selkie, and is one of my favourite films of all time. lf you don’t love it, you’re dead inside. maximus otter
  14. maximus otter

Nigerian Student Confraternities: Secret Societies Turned Criminal Syndicates

Mentioning the Skull and Bones society or the Bullingdon Club in the same breath as that batch of pathologies is like comparing the Girl Guides to the NKVD. Euw. maximus otter
  15. maximus otter

Fortean Headlines

Lights From Marijuana Farm Create ‘Purple Haze’ In The Sky SNOWFLAKE, Ariz. (CBS Local) — Lights from a medical marijuana farm filled the sky over Snowflake, Arizona, with a bright purple glow on a recent foggy morning. Cara Smith was on her way to work at Copperstate Farms, the largest...
  16. maximus otter

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast

Bloodthirsty Squirrel Leaves 2 Hospitalized, Neighbors Hiding Out During Daytime An unruly squirrel is defying Disney stereotypes by terrorizing one Houston neighborhood, according to KPRC-TV. This is not a photo of the actual squirrel terrorizing an entire neighborhood in Houston. (credit...
  17. maximus otter

Fortean Headlines

"To the man on crutches dressed in camouflage who stole my wallet: you can hide but you can't run." https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jokes/milton-jones-best-jokes-515060 maximus otter
  18. maximus otter

Coincidences

Here’s an easy calculator to work out your chances of winning according to your holding of Premium Bonds: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/ maximus otter
  19. maximus otter

Green Puppy Born In North Carolina

He’s got to be called Vulcan! maximus otter
  20. maximus otter

Woman Critically Injured In Padstow Obby Oss Incident

To be pedantic, she’s currently stable but definitely not critical. maximus otter
  21. maximus otter

Selkies & Feminicide

Òran an Ròin Hò i hò i hì o hò i Hò i hò i hì o hì Hò i hò i hì o hò i, cha robh mi m’ aonar a-raoir. ’S mairg san tìr seo, ’s mairg san tìr, ’g ithe dhaoine ’n riochd a bhìdh. Nach fhaic sibh ceannard an t-sluaigh, goil air teine gu cruaidh cruinn. ’S mise nighean Aoidh mhic Eòghainn, gum b’...
  22. maximus otter

Random/Peculiar Images

Because of the insensitivity of Victorian photographic plates, exposure times were often measured in minutes rather than fractions of a second. That’s why you usually only see pictures of beached, stranded or grounded vessels. (It’s also why portrait studios had clamps to hold the subjects’...
  23. maximus otter

Strange Crimes

l was thinking more Gone Girl, but that’s already been done. maximus otter
  24. maximus otter

Strange Crimes

Mingin’ taste in rifles, too. maximus otter
  25. maximus otter

Bird Flu: Worse Than SARS?

To put this into perspective, SARS (774) and Wuhan (1), in “just 17 years”, have killed 1.03 X 10⁻⁶% of the world’s population. I think we’re doing just fine. maximus otter
  26. maximus otter

Horse Costumes Of South Ronaldsay

That’s delightful! Despite spending a lot of time in the Highlands l hadn’t heard of this either. Good find, Min! maximus otter
  27. maximus otter

Random/Peculiar Images

“That’s what l call a fart!” maximus otter
  28. maximus otter

Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Once I'd scraped the dead, ball-gagged GCHQ agent out of it I had no more problems. maximus otter
  29. maximus otter

Taking The Piss: Weird Wee Stories

You’d have to be on a mega-high-fibre diet to be able curl one off on an escalator. maximus otter
  30. maximus otter

Coincidences

l can hear Tom Hanks’s and Meg Ryan’s agents on the phone to each other... maximus otter
  31. maximus otter

Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

l needed a new gym bag, as my previous one (a charity shop find) was going home. l finally found a nice example - Nike, in red - priced at £8.95. l thought that was a trifle steep, but was happy to pay it. On arrival at the till, l handed the item to the lady. She peered at the price label and...
  32. maximus otter

Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

Critics' Score: 80% Audience Score: 16% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doctor_who/s12 maximus otter
  33. maximus otter

People Dying / Corpses Discovered In Chimneys

Cynically, I would say that it's "urban exploration" if the suspect is caught; "burglary" if they aren't. ;-) A Google search on "burglar caught in chimney" yields almost 1.5M hits. If these youths had been found trapped in an insecure back window, or attempting to get through a cat flap...
  34. maximus otter

Post-Apocalypse Movies

Ever wanted to know what happened to that armoured truck, the Landmaster? It’s still running, and the current owner intends a full restoration: Full story here. maximus otter
  35. maximus otter

People Dying / Corpses Discovered In Chimneys

l refer to it as “attempted burglary”. Why the mystery? maximus otter
  36. maximus otter

Coincidences

l used to have a coffee with the security police at a nearby military base on night shifts. The key to their safe was attached to a stout chain, which was screwed to a 6” cube of wood painted titty pink. No-one ever forgot where that key was, much less inadvertently went home with it in their...
  37. maximus otter

The Vultures Are Circling (Greed & Strife Around An Impending Death)

Everybody: Make a ****ing will! My dad died intestate about ten years ago, and l ended up having to infer his wishes from scribblings on two scraps of A6 paper he’d torn from a notebook. Awkward if one is dealing with £50 and “Who gets the cheeny dugs?”; a royal pain in the arse when disbursing...
  38. maximus otter

Offensive Bagpipes?

l love the Scottish bagpipes, but l’d kill and eat small children to be able to play the uilleann pipes: maximus otter
  39. maximus otter

Who Is Your Dracula?

l started watching with gritted teeth, waiting for the usual Gatiss/Moffat/BBC tics, but l found myself being won over. All the above trio’s knee-jerk box-ticking was present, but the central performances by Claes Bang as Dracula and Dolly Wells as Van Helsing were both excellent, and more than...
  40. maximus otter

Eccles On Sea "Monster"

Did anyone else read that as “Eccles on sea monster”? maximus otter
  41. maximus otter

Money From Out Of The Blue

All the way to the bank. maximus otter
  42. maximus otter

Humour & Jokes

maximus otter
  43. maximus otter

'Slavery' Alleged: Ultra-Orthodox Cult (Jerusalem; 2020)

Totally. maximus otter
  44. maximus otter

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

I’ll keep an eye out for it. maximus otter
  45. maximus otter

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

:bdown: maximus otter
  46. maximus otter

Best Horrible Woman In A Film?

That usually works. ;-) maximus otter
  47. maximus otter

PSI-CO Research Idea