Search results

1. Yithian

The Continuing Insult To The English Language

Alcohol proof. There was a test: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof
  2. Yithian

Royal News

I'd be interested to see the entry in the full Oxford English Dictionary. That learners' dictionary has very little detail. Does anybody have a copy at home? Carlos has nutshelled the English connotation for me and all I knew of the word prior to this discussion.
  3. Yithian

Charity Shop & Poundshop Finds

Shocking racist doll. But I like the sausage wrestlers.
  4. Yithian

The Whinge Thread, Resurrected

Bolted to your hands?
  5. Yithian

Royal News

I had no idea of the origin. I don't think it carries the same connotations for many on this side of the Atlantic. For me, it's an alternative for uppish or snobbish and more descriptive of the marketing manager's wife who bores you to tears by unsubtly name-dropping a list of notables who...
  6. Yithian

Royal News

I have no idea what connotations the word might have acquired in America, but I've met a good number of uppity people and their race is an irrelevance.
  7. Yithian

Royal News

Somewhat surprisingly, I saw the Eamonn Holmes piece. The man was being a complete arse. He just spouted off a succession of bad adjectives based on utter speculation and silly tabloid fodder. To the best of my knowledge, he has never met her and has no reliable source on which to base his...
  8. Yithian

Random/Peculiar Images

Clapham Junction at sunset:
  9. Yithian

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Board coms gone buggerup.
  10. Yithian

Another = an other. An obfuscated non-definite article.
  11. Yithian

Judas Priest You've Got Another Thing Coming. Great song, poor English. Explanation of 'think/thing' already covered on this very thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-continuing-insult-to-the-english-language.31931/page-21#post-1788466
  12. Yithian

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Perhaps, but it's all a product of the fact that Korean workers put in (sometimes very much) longer working weeks than would be accepted/acceptable in the west; they also tend to work through all but the most serious illnesses. Hence, services are all tailored to facilitate this: Sunday and...
  13. Yithian

Stanley Kubrick

Any impressions?
  14. Yithian

Royal News

I've just read the accounts of the agreement reached between the Palace and the Sussexes. Once again, nothing by respect for the Queen from me. She must have been under tremendous personal pressure to agree some novel 'halfway house' solution that allowed her grandson to 'go part-time', but as...
  15. Yithian

Royal News

Very well done. You could try shrinking and posting this image over the strange white space to Sarah Ferguson's left.
  16. Yithian

Stanley Kubrick

This is a compellingly written account of author Ian Watson's experiences while writing for Kubrick's version of A.I. “Put some vaginal jelly on the words,” Most entertaining: http://www.ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/ One question for sci-fi experts: why did Brian Aldiss hate Ian...
  17. Yithian

Royal News

Next time somebody says who is married to...?
  18. Yithian

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

Jack, the rip-off!
  19. Yithian

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

I've been in Korea for a number of years now and I've never had to wait more than fifteen minutes to see a doctor, dentist or optician when arriving without an appointment in either clinic or hospital; most times it's been about half of that. My last wait in a London A&E was five and a half...
  20. Yithian

Ouija Bullshit?

I contemplated that, but GOOGLE suggests that 'Quija' is a common variant. I hadn't ever seen it before, mind you.
  21. Yithian

The Good Stuff Online Thread

I do actually think that's pretty great, but 'a perfect replica of a 1980s video store' it isn't. There are a number of films on display that weren't released in the 80s. I think the ultimate aim would be to choose your favourite year and re-create a shop using only releases that would...
  22. Yithian

What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

I wish you luck, fellow crusader. It's worth the effort, it really is. Instruction manuals: half a rainforest of the damned things. Allen Keys: all the same size: more than half a dozen of 'em.
  23. Yithian

Home from work at 16:30 today. With only a twenty-minute break for dinner I've just finished seven hours of decluttering and am feeling self-righteous. Nine large boxes of accumulated junk have gone out, boxes which would be occupying a loft or a cellar if we had either. Hoarded highlights...
  24. Yithian

Mods & Rockers

I'm a mod (here) and a rocker. I would not encourage British posters to consider this a great opportunity to declare what we they voted in any referenda. It's only going to come around and bite us on our collective arse. I'm already pretty much resigned to the fact that this thread will be...
  25. Yithian

Non-Fortean Films

Although I possesed the background awareness that Twentieth Century Fox and Fox News were connected (despite the former being very much older than the latter), I never really associated them with each other and my divergent feelings towards the two brands sat comfortably alongside each other...
  26. Yithian

Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Thought you might be amused to see a Korean post office van. They're electric-powered and the cab itself is aporoximately the same size as a Smart Car. Very cute and very quiet.
  27. Yithian

The R.I.P. Thread

Christopher Tolkien has died. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/16/jrr-tolkiens-son-christopher-dies-aged-95
  28. Yithian

Watching Mrs & Miss Yith's flight progress on Flightradar24. I recall that Rynner was fascinated by this and the maritime version. It's so odd to reflect that this little red plane inching across a map of the world is actually a real thing carrying your loved ones closer at five hundred miles...
  29. Yithian

The Bibliophilia Thread

This now available for pre-order (published 6/2/20): Preview Images here: https://hoxton-mini-press.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/hackney-archive
  30. Yithian

The Bibliophilia Thread

A booksellers just sent out his new year's mailing list: A fine/fine signed first edition (1987) of Mort by Terry Pratchett (one of only 3950 printed): £600 The jacket looks bright and beautiful and it's (probably) my favourite of his novels... Anybody want to buy a moderator a gift?
  31. Yithian

Woman Critically Injured In Padstow Obby Oss Incident

They couldn't resist: struck by a mock horse, in a 'stable' condition.
  32. Yithian

Star Trek

I feel slightly apprehensive about this one. I know that Star Trek has always explored social issues (notably race and war in the original series and there was plenty about mental health and reconciliation in TNG and DS-9), but with the ever fiercer culture wars in the States (and the UK), I...
  33. Yithian

I think that might (not sure) be a browser setting because it does not auto-play for me here on this board or at the original page. I'll stick a warning on it just in case.
  34. Yithian

Brief documentary piece on a photographer documenting the 'dying community' of Byker. I love the soft Geordie accent she has mixed with her own. Biography here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirkka-Liisa_Konttinen
  35. Yithian

Very interesting documentary on a famous painting and the artist who produced it.
  36. Yithian

The Unwhinge Thread

My wife and daughter are flying home tomorrow. We've been apart almost exactly two weeks and I'm heartily bored with the empty house now.
  37. Yithian

Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

So what do I need to add to get the little critters up and moving around?
  38. Yithian

Entertaining prank. May auto-play on site:
  39. Yithian

Boy Wearing ‘Anxiety-Inducing’ T-Shirt

That's ok. We don't have any of that nonsense here.
  40. Yithian

Explain Your Avatar Here

Of course. It was a better one solely because your stormtrooper demands to be animated to perform the pelvic thrust.
  41. Yithian

Explain Your Avatar Here

@Swifty I'm having a memory lapse. What was your previous avatar?
  42. Yithian

The Vultures Are Circling (Greed & Strife Around An Impending Death)

I caught up with a very old friend over Christmas. Sadly his father died the previous year--a grand old gent of whom I was very fond. His mother took it badly and has deteriorated, his other siblings are the proverbial chocolate teapots and the old man's affairs were a (legal and literal) mess...
  43. Yithian

Ah, it's a pun! Sorry for being slow on the uptake.
  44. Yithian

I've pondered this for a few minutes, but I still don't know what it means.
  45. Yithian

The R.I.P. Thread

It was his office, not a library, I suppose. It's sad to think of a room so moulded to its owner now lying empty.
  46. Yithian

PSI-CO Research Idea

Yup, primary to undergrads.
  47. Yithian

What Music?

If ELO, Supertramp and Jim Steinman started a family together...
  48. Yithian

What Music?

Music to clean the house to while strutting.
  49. Yithian

Amazing skill here:
  50. Yithian

The R.I.P. Thread

Here's a photograph of his office in Wiltshire. This is close to my ideal room.