• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. G

Richard Dawkins

Quite fitting really. 8)
  2. G

Richard Dawkins

"Proper atheist"? Maybe (too few and hard to come by these days). "Proper idiot"? Definitely.
  3. G

Richard Dawkins

"The book". Don't go calling it "the book". That's one step closer to declaring it "holy writ" :wink: You know I'm surprised he didn't call it "The Third Testament". Turner prize winner if ever I saw one. :lol:
  4. G

Richard Dawkins

Oh, I don't know. Even followers of the great rationalist are perfectly capable of behaving irrationally. Fundamentalism as art, however, now there's an idea. Religious extremists leaving dead sharks encased in formaldehyde in public spaces ...
  5. G

What's your belief system?

Scoffing sounds about right. Thanks for the link, interesting site.
  6. G

:roll: Not altogether convinced by Malcolm Moore's reporting given his lazy handling of 'facts' in other 'stories' he's written.
  7. G

So Who Is Stronger: Jesus Or Thor?

Re: Thor he's a jolly good fellow Thor most definitely rocks. This Thor however doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWjkR4cFC4
  8. G

Not something that effects her path to saint hood, in the eyes of the Vatican. Rev. Kolodiejchuk, wasn't just her personal friend, but also her postulator. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention this. Or "the dark night of the soul" which is how this is viewed from such perspectives, which...
  9. G

The Bible: What Is Its Purpose?

To further the relevance he broadened the context. He sets out saying he hasn't come to abolish the law of the profits (Mosaic Law), but to fulfill them. So it's a reinterpretation of Mosaic Law. Here's the quote in context with the rest of the verse: "You have heard that it was said...
  10. G

I was talking about "context". You have to consider context before entertaining any notion of interpreting meaning. Taking seemingly contradictory quotes from different parts of different books that talk about different points in history and juxtaposing them, isn't considering context. It's...
  11. G

The Miracles of Jesus Christ

My view of it as a fiction anyway; off topic, agreed. However, Docetists believed it all an illusion rather than a fiction, in keeping with the present discussion of smoke and mirrors.
  12. G

The New Barbarism

Including class A drugs like Heroin? Or are you just talking about Mary Jane?
  13. G

It's chicken and the egg. There's no historicity for Jesus in the first place, so who's to say he existed for it to have happened or never happened at all? Maybe the Docetists were closest to the truth?
  14. G

As far as I'm concerned, I simply asked an innocent question and that was regarding Quazi's source. I didn't say to him 'You don't know what you're talking about'. I didn't even know at that point if he held any truck with what he'd posted. He'd just posted a series of quotes for OTR to tuck...
  15. G

The New Barbarism

I've got twenty quid in my pocket :twisted:
  16. G

The New Barbarism

wouldn't that be riot related anyway for those periods? Bit like saying more Britons died between 1914 and 1918 than in any other four year period?
  17. G

The New Barbarism

Two posts up from yours? I didn't spot that, hence asking. Always good to see the context your quotes are written in, I find. Usually, when people quote other people, it appears with the name of the person being quoted. When you quote people without pointing out who you're quoting following...
  18. G

The New Barbarism

Who were you quoting?
  19. G

The New Barbarism

Who are you quoting?
  20. G

I have a futuristic animation film script, any ideas what

Well, in the UK you could get regional funding from arts councils. If they like the project then they help you with development funding and likely put in ground investment and help point you in the right direction. I don't know what the equivalent would be for where you are based, but in the UK...
  21. G

Miraculous Apparitions

Looks nothing like Robert Powell.
  22. G

Bible contradictions are often presented as quotes with no further explanation. The very juxtaposition should be evidence enough according to those making such claims. A convenience since they needn't validate their claim any further. But you take any two quotes from any book and you can...
  23. G

Religious concepts promote cooperation

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think religion is the moral manual on 'feeling good'. Selflessness isn't exclusively a religious trait. Altruism in animals is well documented. In zoological terms it's an instinctive behavior that ensures the survival or spread of genes. Dolphins will swim...
  24. G

Wasn't it mentioned in Captain Cooks Journals?
  25. G

Do you mean Christian apologetics? There's quite a few that cover the question of biblical contradiction and as you say, yes, they've been shooting them out of the water for years. Since as far back as the first century AD in fact.
  26. G

Again, quoting out of context because that sentence ends, "secularist, atheist or Christian", whom I'm addressing. So unless you claim to be all three, I'm not talking about you directly. I'm talking about people in general. Secularist, atheists, Christians, it doesn't matter. hence why I...
  27. G

The New Barbarism

Actually, there's a large chunk of New Cross that's been known locally as "the ghetto" for years. I always thought they came from there.
  28. G

The New Barbarism

Starying, Jerry? You must be mistooken. :wink:
  29. G

The New Barbarism

Ah, gotcha. Cool. Had a feeling that was what you meant, but wasn't sure. Thanks for taking the time to clarify :)
  30. G

The New Barbarism

Horrendous. Sorry to hear that. :( I'm partially inclined to agree with Arthur regarding the cyclical nature of unruly generations. The teddyboys of yesteryear are after all the grandfathers of todays yobs. But I can't help feel it's considerably worse. Without proper statistics (i'm not...
  31. G

The New Barbarism

Just out of interest, is this relief because it's one less controlling factor (ie: us being told how to live or lives) or is this to do with pub kicking out times and the like?
  32. G

Actually, I didn't accuse you of anything and I'm sorry if you interpreted what I said to be some sort of accusation. But thanks for giving me a chance to explain, aye? I was trying to determine if you'd found these on a site as they're quite common, or you'd dug these out yourself. I was...
  33. G

DVD Bargains & Newspaper Freebies

It's excellent. As is Laputa Castle in the Sky.
  34. G

The New Barbarism

eh? Hence my point regarding there being nothing better to do. Or are you addressing the point raised by others regarding "Consumerism"?
  35. G

The New Barbarism

You mean Fagin? :wink: yeah, I see the big message being put across here. Stick your head in the sand. It's always been this way. It'll all blow over. Don't know what idyll you nay sayers seem to come from, but where I live it's got notably worse in the last few years. What strikes me is...
  36. G

The New Barbarism

Well if this is what you call restraint...
  37. G

The New Barbarism

Or Minors.
  38. G

The New Barbarism

re: poor chap in Warrington. I'm not altogether comfortable with the philosophy that "it's always been this way, same kids different hairdos, don't worry yourselves about it, it'll all be alright after a nice cup of tea". Without doubt, respect is deteriorating.
  39. G

The New Barbarism

Also, I'm talking about minors, not miners. ;)
  40. G

The New Barbarism

Or the 1880's when urchins would pick your pockets... I'm talking about more recent times and with the present situation. So it was you that keyed our Cortina? You know this means war?
  41. G

The New Barbarism

I only really noticed 'troublesome youths' in really the last six, maybe seven years. Noticed it, I mean, to the degree that it appears to be now, like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". To began with there was just one youth sitting on the climbing frame... now....
  42. G

The New Barbarism

And how much of it is because of a whipped up media panic? True. However. A man in Warrington the other week stepped out of his house to tell a group of youths to stop vandalising. They set on him like a pack of dogs and killed him. That, unfortunately, is grim reality. Is this comparable...
  43. G

The New Barbarism

The world owes everyone a living. It's a something for nothing mentality that's the product of bone idle laziness.
  44. G

Well, I think the fallacy of quoting out of context does matter, yes. Using contextomy to argue a point is deceptive. I'm simply trying to determine if it's deliberate (he has actually read the bible and is aware of the context) or unintentional (hasn't read the bible and is simply quoting...
  45. G

Enemies of Reason

Exactly, like the current trend for "scientists" to scare monger about global warming, or "bad science". I've always been a big fan of his MEME theory, but his focus of late has been truly uninspiring and disappointing.
  46. G

Are we to assume you sat down one day and picked these out yourself? Or are you quoting some secularist or atheist website somewhere?
  47. G

Wikipedia Manipulation (Sabotage; Censorship; Editing Battles; Etc.)

This explains a heck of a lot.
  48. G

Britain: Police State?

plus the bass is always so loud its distorted. I think it's a dick size issue.
  49. G

We'll start with you answering my question first. I have asked you twice now.
  50. G

What? Who's faith in Mysteries? I'm asking you what Jesus walking on water has to do with misunderstanding the metaphors or symbology as you put it, of other, older faiths or beliefs or whatever that have deities and the like walking on water?
Back