• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. O

FT280

Replacement copies My apologies for this - as far as I know this one and Paulsamfreya at start of thread are the only faulty copies. I PM'd Paulsamfreya at the time but failed to notice that the PM for some reason was never sent - it's still sitting in my Outbox . Any subscribers with this...
  2. O

My Haunted Canadian Copy of FT273

Cover dates Ever since it was first started in the early 1990s, the overseas edition of the mag has been dated one month following the UK cover date. The content is otherwise identical. (Occasionally we might change a cover-line if we think the British one would mean little elsewhere.) I'm...
  3. O

My Haunted Canadian Copy of FT273

I've tried PM'ing you but again the message just sits in my Outbox all day. If you'd like to PM or email me your postal address, I'll send you a replacement copy.
  4. O

It Happened To Me Books Downloadable For Kindle

For those of you who like ebooks, all three of the FT IHTM books are now available as Kindle downloads on Amazon - although for Volume 3 you have to spell Times with a double "i".
  5. O

FT271

We still have a few copies in the office, so send me your postal address and I'll pop one in the mail for you. I tried PM-ing you, but my PMs don't seem to be being sent.
  6. O

FT271

FT271 replacement We still have a few copies in the office, so send me your postal address and I'll pop one in the mail for you. I tried PM-ing you, but my PMs don't seem to be being sent.
  7. O

FT now downloadable from Zinio

Zinio downloads Kindle is an Amazon product and so only supports texts downloaded from Amazon itself. The same probably applies to other proprietary readers. However, the Zinio reader application can be downloaded free to most platforms - Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone etc. So once you've done that...
  8. O

FT268

I know nothing at all about this publisher, but isn't it normal for popular writers and publishers to take whatever is in the news and turn it into fiction? Hence, detective fiction and police procedurals about Chicago gangsters, drug pushers, thrillers about juvenile delinquents, gang warfare...
  9. O

In an ideal world, sure, everything would be free. But, sadly, that's not the real world. By your logic, because I had a huge collection of vinyl LPs, I would have qualified for free CDs when the albums were re-released (or free LPs when they got scratched?), and now could claim free MP3...
  10. O

FT268

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Ate-My-T ... 557&sr=1-1
  11. O

As from issue FT268, Fortean Times is on sale as a download to PC, Mac or iPad, either as single issues or as a 12-issue subscription. See http://www.zinio.com for details. Search for "fortean" then select your country from the drop-down menu at the flag in the top right corner. Vols 1 and...
  12. O

UnCon - Tube Disruption

Update: Sorry to report that buses will be disrupted and delayed, too. There are several buses that go along Marylebone Road, but there will be diversions around the Euston and King's Cross area due to road works and delays are expected. London Transport is so beautifully co-ordinated.
  13. O

UnCon - Tube Disruption

Update: As far as I can tell, the Jubilee Line will only be running in Central London at the weekend (and only between 8.00am and 9.00pm). All day, there will be nothing north of West Hampstead and nothing south of Green Park on that line.
  14. O

UnCon - Tube Disruption

Anyone travelling to UnCon should take note that the Circle, Metro and Hammersmith & City lines are all closed for engineering works this weekend. Probably not a surprise to Londoners, but if you're travelling in from out of town it's worth noting. There will be be replacement bus services...
  15. O

FT267

You want to get that seen to, mate, honestly
  16. O

FT265

I'm never forget the day... Actually, Lobachevsky was a very important figure in the development of non-Euclidean geometry (Henry Kuttner, AE van Vogt eat your hearts out), i.e. space in more than three dimensions. Although some of his ideas were published almost simultaneously with Gauss, most...
  17. O

What was Woodhenge?

New henge My immediate thought on hearing this on BBC radio this a.m. and on seeing the story on the BBC site was - given its proximity to the Stonehenge we all know and love, perhaps it was a mock-up where they tried out ideas before final installation. Or the Waiting Room.
  18. O

FT265

Re: Mea culpa Nicholai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is my name
  19. O

FT265

Mea culpa Somehow it's always the sub-editor's fault, isn't it? In this instance, when I originally subbed the text, I hadn't seen the photo. When I edited the actual page to send to the news editor (Paul) to proofread, the picture hadn't come in from the agency, so I still hadn't seen...
  20. O

Current issue for US subscribers?

The subscriptions liaison section at Dennis Publishing had this to add: "We are aware of the problem that has occurred for the past two issues. The problem is at JFK; as a consequence of a downsize they are struggling with sorting out volumes. We have sent replacement copies and where we...
  21. O

"Wrong kind of volcanic ash on the tracks!"
  22. O

For historic reasons (meaning, I don't know why it was done that way), the overseas edition is always one month (presumably now four weeks) after the UK one, although I don't know the exact schedule in other countries. FT262 is the issue currently out here, so 261 should be the on sale one in...
  23. O

"It happened to me"

OK, fair enough, maybe there has been a lot on the topic - but that's because the original article was very well received and generated a huge amount of mail - far more than on any other subject. So, clearly it was something that appealed to many readers. According to Mike Hallowell, roughly a...
  24. O

Might Someone Post The Old FT 'Devil With Santa Mask' Pic?

Devil as Santa Erm... you mean Alex Howe's copyrighted photo? Or Julia Christie's copyrighted illo?
  25. O

FT253

Distribution problems The MB isn't really the best way to solve delivery problems. As in my earlier reply, I would suggest you contact the Dennis subscriptions liaison team: [email protected] CC to [email protected]
  26. O

FT253

Subs delivery We have had occasional reports of problems with delivery to Scandinavian addresses. I would suggest you contact the Dennis subscriptions liaison team: [email protected] CC to [email protected]
  27. O

Definitive FT Article Index?

FT Indexes The very rough contents listing we use (decidedly NOT an index) is certainly not suitable for publication or public viewing. We would love to have a full index as Steve Moore, bless him, used to produce, but we simply do not have the time or resources to do it. We have extremely...
  28. O

FT252

Artful codger The Greenhalg family (Artful Codgers) were referred to in both the earlier parts of this feature, with back refs to the coverage in Strange Days in FT245:22-24.
  29. O

Which Issue Of Fortean Times Had The Best Cover?

Alex's Leonardo covers Should perhaps point out that it was 193 which had the Mona Lisa cover, and 212 which had The Last Supper.
  30. O

Query

Re: Fort the month That's been pretty standard in magazine and comic publication at least since I was buying comics in the Sixties, and I gathered then that it was a tradition going back decades. It's something to do with the shelf life of the product - if a mag is expected to be available on...
  31. O

Query

Fort the month Actually, of course, CarlostheDJ is quite correct in that publishers, distributors and the main retailers are very keen to have a 4-week rather than a calendar-month schedule - nice and neat administratively - but there is a sound fortean precedent. Tiffany Thayer...
  32. O

Who Sells FT Near Me?

FT in Bradford They are being sent it, so presumably they're selling out quickly (or hiding it even better than usual). Any newsagent should be able to order it for you and keep it aside, and Smith's certainly offers that service. If you only buy the occasional issue, obviously, you wouldn't...
  33. O

Who Sells FT Near Me?

Availability in Bradford (my Dad's home town) Our contact at Seymour has provided this list of Bradford and district retailers: ARDEN NEWS: 52-54 TOWNGATE, KEIGHLEY, W YORKS, BD21 3QE JAYSONS BEER BARREL: 75 BRADFORD RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD10 9LB SUNNY STORES: 61 ALBION ROAD, IDLE, 3...
  34. O

Which Issue Had A Massive Article About Rendlesham In It?

Rendlesham James Easton's article was indeed in FT152. There was also a Rendlesham 25th anniversary set of articles in FT204 by David Clarke and Jenny Randles.
  35. O

Which Issue Had A Massive Article About Rendlesham In It?

Rendlesham James Easton's article was indeed in FT152. There was also a Rendlesham 25th anniversary set of articles in FT204 by David Clarke and Jenny Randles.
  36. O

FT246

Re: Tinyurl Our current thinking is that we will continue to use tinyurl, along with a note of the original domain name or, where it would be more helpful, the name of the publication concerned or a brief description of the site. Other suggestions would be welcome. - beleaguered sub
  37. O

Anyone Else Having Problems Renewing Subs?

Subs problems Actually, Paul, I generally do copy relevant posts from the MB to the appropriate depts. at Dennis (i.e. distribution/shop placement/subs etc.) and then try and follow up to see what progress has been made. I think that if there were large numbers of complaints about the subs...
  38. O

Anyone Else Having Problems Renewing Subs?

Subs complaints I'm sorry you think my suggestion inappropriate. I've tried explaining this several times, but I'll try again. The MB is not a feedback mechanism for complaints. It is an opportunity for readers to chat amongst themselves - using MB handles, i.e. anonymously. Seriously - what...
  39. O

FT243

Pre-Incan ummies First para: "The mummy shown at left" Second para: "... two of which are shown below" Two separate stories
  40. O

Those Fortean Times Books

FT books Once again, apologies for the continuing confusion. There was a major communication problem with last year's sale - a lot of the staff on the phone lines at Dovetail (the company who warehouse the subscription stock) hadn't been informed that there was a sale so didn't know of...
  41. O

Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

He will be sorely missed... http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2008/se ... tre.comedy Improv king Ken Campbell dies Theatre and comedy giant dies just days after his Edinburgh festival performance A life in pictures: Ken Campbell (1941-2008) Ken Campbell 'British theatre's antic...
  42. O

Subscription Problems

... but it's only by alerting the subscriptions department that there is a problem that it's going to be fixed - they won't know if you don't tell them.
  43. O

Subscription Problems

... but it's only by alerting the subscriptions department that there is a problem that it's going to be fixed - they won't know if you don't tell them.
  44. O

Subscription Problems

If you have problems with subscriptions (online or postal), please contact those people who are listed in the masthead (on Editorial page) as Subscriptions Executive and/or Circulations Administrator (or similar job titles). These do change from time to time, but currently the contacts are...
  45. O

Hunt's Cartoons.

Hunt the compendium There was one once, although it was long, long ago: Link 1* In fact, there are lots of collections of Hunt's non-FT stuff, too. Link 2* * EDIT: Links shortened by WJ
  46. O

FT235

Arse bison - good name for a rock band? The "blessed bum" letter and photos were a perfectly genuine submission from a reader. The pet bison in the house (FT196, May2005 cover date) was a genuine news article, previously covered in the Sunday Times in January 2004. As well the two photos...
  47. O

FT235

April Fools As far as I'm aware, FT has never perpetrated an April Fool gag. Although some subscribers have already received this issue, it isn't due to be on newsstand sale in the UK until 3rd April, and in the USA some four weeks later, so it wouldn't have made sense anyway. I think it's...
  48. O

FT232

Renewals If you pay by Direct Debit, it will automatically renew (as well as being a bit cheaper than other payment methods). On the other hand, you don't get the chance of free gift offers for renewing. (Not something the editorial team have any say in, BTW).
  49. O

FT232

Subscription problems For problems like this, you should contact Barbara Abis on 020-7907 6145 or [email protected] (or whoever is currently listed in the Masthead on the Editorial page as "Subscriptions Executive" or similar title). She should be able to help or pass the problem...
  50. O

FT232

rhetorical question I suspect you already know the answer to this. Mea culpa. What with always sending the issue to press with a cover date well in the future (and the US cover being even further in the future) and the issue that comes out in January having a much shorter deadline than usual...
Back