• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. E

Fortean Studies #1 for sale

In my Amazon marketplace thingie if anyone's interested - £9.96 + postage. http://www.amazon.co.uk/shops/pjmella
  2. E

Heirophant's Apprentice and Dawkins in FT237

Yes, as all this was news to me last night I failed to fully appreciate what old hat this is to everyone else - perhaps mods reading this would be fair to merge the thread with my former blustery rant.
  3. E

Heirophant's Apprentice and Dawkins (again) I've not been on this Messageboard since late 2008, when I posted a complaint that the Heirophant's Apprentice's attacks on Richard Dawkins were snidey, (in places) unjust, and their aggressive tone against what I considered to be the ethos of Fortean...
  4. E

Recent Fortean Times back issues for sale

I've got some recent FTs for sale for fairly cheap on eBay if anyone needs any gaps in their collection plugging... http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/mister_ ... omZQQ_ipgZ
  5. E

Strange Days - Your Views Wanted

I really like Strange Days - perhaps not as much as a few years ago, but I genuinely believe there's less weird stuff in the media to report on. I like the way anything and everything can be in there, and you never quite know what's going to crop up next. Some of my favourite sections of mag...
  6. E

FT238

I've stood outside that very Synagogue in Prague, wish I'd have realised at the time that was the very one that was the heart of the Golem story, cos I'd have got a photo of me looking all Golemmy outside it...
  7. E

Dr Sutton - with all respect I appreciate that this is the letters page we're talking about, and fully understand what one of those is and its purpose. But the readers' letters in question were a response to a writer (and a regular FT columnist, presuming the anonymous "HA" is always the same...
  8. E

Wasp Moths?

I remembered there was at least one British moth that mimicked a bee and did a bit of a Google. Look up a hummingbird hawk moth too - the resemblance is uncanny there too! I've been lucky enough to see them in the wild and at first glance you could be mistaken for thinking they're hummingbirds.
  9. E

Yeti Photo From Russia

My first response was that it looks absolutely fake, like a (not very good) digital drawing painted into the photo. I'm not such a photographical expert as some of the previous posters, but their critiques sound about right.
  10. E

All of course very valid and good points by the above posters - and argued in a sensible and non-personal way that I would have expected from FT itself! I think maybe I went off on one and came across as being a Dawkins-apologist to the degree it denigrated my main points - I wasn't...
  11. E

Any ideas what this is? Strange 'fish' from russia

Ah yes, I didn't read the text properly, and it does appear to be a triops. Interestingly you can buy these in dried eggs like Sea Monkeys - though I'm guessing those don't grow to three feet!
  12. E

Those Fortean Times Books

I've got Fortean Studies 1 for sale if you're interested - PM me if so.
  13. E

Any ideas what this is? Strange 'fish' from russia

Looks like a horseshoe crab to me. Definitely not a fish, anyway.
  14. E

Wasp Moths?

The link doesn't work any more, but Bee Hawkmoth? http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4435
  15. E

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

Hand the ABC column back to someone who doesn't seem a true believer in some of the loopier zooform phenomena theories. Paul Sieveking's "here's what's been reported, make your own minds up" approach was much more suited to the topic. Don't have columnists who call people they don't agree...
  16. E

I've been reading FT for 13 years, but have recently been toying with the idea of cancelling my subscription, due to the fact I've started reading fewer articles in every issue I get, and I have the nagging doubt whether or not I'd bother going to WH Smith to buy a copy every month if I wasn't a...
  17. E

Cheap FT back issues for sale

I've got some cheap FT back issues for sale on eBay, mainly from 1997 and 2007, with starting bids of 65p. You can find them here http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZmister_hooty
  18. E

Foretean Studies 1

I've got Fortean Studies 1 on eBay if anyone's interested... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290220364152&Category=274&_trksid=p3907.m29
  19. E

FT231

Yeah, the photo to me was just a "Little girl dusting a telly while it was on". Absolutely nothing about it that suggests otherwise. And yes, sigh, another themed issue. :roll:
  20. E

New juvenile sasquatch/OOP ape photos

Actually, I'm moving over to bear after looking at the photos a few times. A bear that's lankier than normal, maybe, but on reflection maybe it doesn't have to be too weird. Plus we know there's bears in the neighbourhood... A great simulacra of a chimp if not though, and I'm still willing to...
  21. E

New juvenile sasquatch/OOP ape photos

Fascinating stuff. I'd say the author possibly jumps to the "juvenile bigfoot" conclusion a bit too fast - surely OOP chimps would be equally (or indeed far, far more) likely? After all, who knows what escaped pets are out there? If that photo was taken in Africa, I'm not sure there's anything...
  22. E

Cruelty To Animals

This from a few days back... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7037132.stm
  23. E

Bishop Sees Little People In Own Home

Trick or treating children?!
  24. E

Illegal ad?

I suppose there's some discussion to be had here on where to draw the line when it comes to supernatural or alternative cures. For example, do the shops selling crystals as cures do it as a cynical ploy to exploit the gullible, or because the owners are New Agers who actually believe all that...
  25. E

Illegal ad?

Without being too "righteously indignant", I'd like to see you saying that if one of your terminally ill family had spent their final days sending money to shameless snakeoil peddlars they found in an otherwise respectable magazine...
  26. E

Illegal ad?

Dr S - I understand wholeheartedly that ad space in a mag with such a varied readership must be a blimmin nightmare, and to get the amount you do is remarkable. As much as I roll my eyes at the bongs/shit t-shirts etc, they're a necessary evil, and they've been advertising for years now, so as...
  27. E

Illegal ad?

Huzzah! Thanks for the update Dr S, glad to see sanity prevailed. I'm sure the ad itself was within the law on reflection (despite the fact it blatently would never do any of the things it claimed it could, supernatural powers are probably a bugger to disprove in court), but the advertised...
  28. E

Illegal ad?

Oh and this quote for the Gorgeous Pill is unforgivable: Which reads to me: "I cannot legally make any medicinal claims about this product, but staying within the law, I'm strongly hinting this is a good thing for terminally ill people to buy." Scum. EDIT - It gets worse. One post on their...
  29. E

Illegal ad?

Sorry if I'm opening any worm cans that have already been opened (I've done a search and can't find any) but are the "Immortality Rings" ads in FT actually legal? That is, we can all put on our Fortean hats of open mindedness, but deep down we all have to admit that the adverts are a thinly...
  30. E

FT228

Cheers for link! It certainy looks like the same thing.
  31. E

FT228

I couldn't help sniffing a fake there... seemed odd his disfiguration was so horifically extreme on his hands and feet, yet nothing that seriously hampered his dashing good looks...
  32. E

FT227

Bah, someone beat me to the "some great orbs photographed on the letters page!" gag ;) I know it goes against a Fortean mindset to rubbish things, but the article by the photographer was spot on with its dismissive and obviously, blatently true "they're just specs of dust" stance. Yet we...
  33. E

FT226

A bit of a disappointing issue... The clown-phobia feature had some interesting points, but it was just a bunch of mishmashed clown facts that didn't really seem to go anywhere. Bringing the tarot fool into at the end completely lost me. I hate the new ABC line of the reports being written...
  34. E

Anyone want any FT back issues?

I have practically every issue since 1995 which I'm looking to sell, with nearly all in very good condition. I will sell them for £2 each including postage, with discounts negotiable if someone buys a lot at once. I take PayPal for payment, for speed and ease for both parties. Please PM me...
  35. E

Loads of Fortean Times mags for sale (possibly)

Cheers, I may well try and ebay them... I suppose the problem with this place is everyone likely to want a load of mags has probably already got them!
  36. E

OK I thought that might be a bit high for people... basically if anyone wants them, make me an offer. Also if anyone needs any blocks of issues let me know and I'll consider splitting.
  37. E

Wanted Fortean Times

I've got Fortean Studies 1 and 3 for sale for £15 each, guessing that doesn't come in the "free or cheap" category though. ;)
  38. E

Fortean Studies 1 and 3 for sale

Anyone interested in buying Fortean Studies 1 or 3 off me? Good condition, £15 each plus postage. Will ship to UK or Europe, and accept PayPal or cheque (PayPal for preference). PM me if you're interested.
  39. E

OK the sale is on! Ok kids, here's the deal... Issues 72-217 are up for grabs. 114 and 137 are the only ones missing, and I'll throw in 64 and 65 which I've randomly acquired over the years. Most of them are in good used condition, except for a couple of the very early ones I got second...
  40. E

Wanted - Fortean Studies 4 and 5

Have PMed you if you're still looking...
  41. E

I'm skint and having a clear out, and am considering selling my FT collection, which is every issue from around issue 77 to present (there may be one or two misplaced, I haven't check yet). If anyone would like to make me an offer, and is prepared to collect from Sheffield, then let me know...
  42. E

FT220

I couldn't get past the first few hundred words of the Heirophant. Let's face it, it's nearly always rubbish and often at odds with the tone of the mag. I think when we petitioned for the Heirophant's return we didn't want some out of place collection of dodgy essays that called itself by the...
  43. E

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

First one to find Mothman wins a prize... http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.84675 ... =0&src=msl
  44. E

FT219

Does that mean he used to flounce around in a posh coat, swear gratuitously, and everyone in the office had a same-sex kiss for no apparent reason?
  45. E

Puzzling Proverbs

Surely a truly wise man would just look up the answers on Wikipedia, answering them in much the same scattershot rate as the fool asking them? Like, duh!
  46. E

C*nt originally a term of endearment?

I have met people who have no problem at all with the word "cunt", but or mortally offended by "twat". Anyone else come across this?* *As Forteans we're above making a comment on this accidental double entendre. Oops, I just did...
  47. E

Walt Disney Urban Legends

What about the strange and sinister Phooey - Huey, Duey and Louie's mysterious doppelganger, described as a "freak incident of nature"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phooey_Duck#Phooey_Duck
  48. E

How Did Bob Marley Die?

I'm not the world's greatest medical mind, but how exactly do you get cancer from a footballing injury? Was it more it was discovered due to the injury than caused by it?
  49. E

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

If anyone's wondering, this is the fella...
  50. E

FT219

Tut tut, bad FT! Didn't they get their fake-detecting goggles on? Will next month have a mystery picture with a giant kitten and Status Quo laughing in the foreground?
Back