• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Today, I was driving home after house-hunting in a town I will be moving to in a few weeks time to start a new job. On my way I passed two magpies, then a little further on a black cat crossed my path, and on the final stretch a fox dashed across the road in front of me. It seemed like a...
  2. S

Dreaming Of The Dead

I sometimes dream about my dead father. A couple of days ago I dreamt that he was holding my nephew, who was wearing a christening gown, and smiling down at him. My nephew is named after my father, but they never met as he died before he was born. My father really wanted grandchildren before...
  3. S

A Man Who Makes My Cats Act Weird

My cats used to hate a friend of my father's, when he came into the house they would freak out and hide behind the sofa. I've never seen them them react that way with anyone else. I sometimes wonder if there was something odd about him that the cats could sense.
  4. S

Nominative Determinism

A marine biologist called Dr Fish: http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/i/13390/
  5. S

Family Nicknames

My family nickname is Sassie, because my older sister couldn't pronounce my real name, Sarah, when I was born. It doesn't get used too often these days though, I think I've outgrown it. :(
  6. S

Nominative Determinism

A friend of mine met a urologist called Dr P. Cockwell.
  7. S

If You Were A Ghost, Where Would You Haunt?

I would take great delight in haunting sceptics and taunting them with strange events that they would never be able prove to anyone else. 8) I also think I would haunt my old school, as I was always quite disappointed that it wasn't haunted.
  8. S

Dreaming Of The Dead

I have had a few dreams of my dead father, in some he was ill and wheelchair-bound, as he was in the last months before his death, in others he was able-bodied and healthy. I had two particularly memorable dreams; in the first, my dad was in his wheelchair, and kept angrily repeating the name...
  9. S

Yorkshire Toes? (Webbed Toes)

I have webbed toes, so do my sisters, but I don't think it's inbreeding (at least not in the last 5 or 6 generations). In my family tree I've only found one cousin-marriage, and other than that, people in Cornwall actually moved around the county a lot. In the church records, it isn't...
  10. S

Dreams & Predictions.

I've had a couple of minor premonitions lately involving family members which have come true the next day. Firstly, I dreamt of my granny coming to visit, she did the following day. Secondly, I dreamt that my younger sister, who lives a long way away, was upset about something and it turned out...
  11. S

Weird Personal Names

I've found a few weird names whilst looking at family history, all from my local area. Salathiel Sleeman. Suckey (a girl's name) Lystra Tryphena Lazetta Argent (again a girl) Cynobia Prophet (sounds like a fortune teller) I'll share any others with you when I find them :)
  12. S

Luck & Serendipity

A bit of both :wink:
  13. S

'Deborah 13: Servant of God’

I was a bit disturbed by how judgemental she was, and that there were no shades of grey in her world view. Also it was worrying that her family took the bible as a literal truth, not even allowing for any changes in meaning through translation or through the ages. How can she have any view...
  14. S

Luck & Serendipity

I am a medical oddity in more ways than one. I have a rare blood group (O negative), I have a dimple on one cheek and not the other (having a dimple on only one side is very rare), I had to have a meccles diverticulum removed from my stomach (I think this is a remnant of the umbilical cord?) and...
  15. S

On Becoming A Person

I have an excellent memory, particularly from my very early childhood. My earliest memory is sitting in my cot, playing with the toys that dangled from the bars and being interested in the different sounds I could make. I worked out once that my first memories date back to when I was nine or ten...
  16. S

Ageing & Growing Old

I think I'm actually getting younger. I'm nearly 24, but the consensus seems to be that I look about 16. Someone actually thought I was my 16 year old sister the other day. :( I know I should be grateful for my youthful face, and I will be when I'm older, but at the moment it's just...
  17. S

Abandoned Buildings As Time Capsules

In Aberystwyth there is a perfectly preserved Victorian shop in the town, complete with lace gloves and other goods. I also know of a preserved Victorian pharmacy at the tourist attraction of Flambards in Cornwall.
  18. S

Weird Personal Names

Yesterday I was looking through the mail box in my hall of residence and stumbled on a letter to someone called Ding Ning. It made me giggle.
  19. S

Six-Toed Cats

I'd love to hear some of those stories. :D *goes off to count her cat's toes*
  20. S

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

My fencing coach has worked with Keira Knightley, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, to name a few. He was also in Star Wars. 8) Lenny Henry also once read a friend of mine a bedtime story, but she doesn't remember! Also, my Granny met Churchill and chauffered him for a...
  21. S

The Scariest Experience You've Ever Had

I have! I was on a college trip to Paris, and my friend crept into our room at two in the morning. Apparently I suddenly sat bolt upright and stared at her. It scared the life out of her!
  22. S

Weird Personal Names

There's a man on Radio Wales called Owen Money. It usually makes me giggle childishly. :D
  23. S

Bad Medicine: Daffy Doctors & Medical Mishaps

As a child I nearly died of a burst appendix as no less than 5 doctors failed to diagnose it. By the time a doctor came along who actually realised what was wrong with me I was in too much pain to walk. Apparently I had peritonitis too, which is what made it difficult to diagnose, the doctors...
  24. S

Weird Local Traditions

Yes, you bring it back in again in the morning and keep it for the year. I suppose it must be similar to first-footing, but I don't know anyone else who does it in my area so it must have mostly died out. :(
  25. S

St Newlina's Fig Tree

I live a few miles from St Newlyn East heard the story when I was younger, and everyone seemed pretty adamant that the curse was real, I've never heard of anyone local daring to prune it. :shock:
  26. S

Cardiff

I've found a couple of stories here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/ilovewales/pages/scary.shtml and here: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/tm_headline=a-pub-full-of-spirits&method=full&objectid=19699661&siteid=50082-name_page.html That's about it though.
  27. S

Weird Local Traditions

In my family, we always put coins outside on New Year's Eve to guarantee prosperity in the coming year. I imagine it must come from some practice of leaving out offerings for the fairies or spirits. I think it must be an old Cornish custom, but I haven't encountered another Cornish family who...
  28. S

Phantom Clowns

This is more wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bknynjg ... re=related
  29. S

Cardiff

Anyone have any good stories about Cardiff? I've heard that a few places are meant to be haunted, such as Cardiff Castle and the museum, but does anyone know of any other haunted locations in the city?
  30. S

A 'Fortean' Subject Of Which You're 100% Convinced

The women on both sides of my family seem to attract the paranormal, perhaps it's our celtic blood? I believe it's inherited because both my grandmothers have seen ghosts, my granny even claims to have spoken to her dead father :shock: My sisters both shared a sense of evil at a local...
  31. S

Macabre Place Names

A friend has taken to calling a local danger spot 'dead man's hill', because they found a dead motorcyclist in the woods - two weeks after the original crash. :shock: There's also a 'dangerous crossing' near Truro.
  32. S

The Travails Of Being Short

I'm 5'1 and I have mixed feelings on my size. I always have plenty pf legroom on public transport, people find my size cute and I can buy children's clothing. On the other hand, any kind of seating designed for larger people can be extremely uncomfortable, I have to ask for help in the...
  33. S

Crisis Apparitions--Any New Cases?

My father passed away a few weeks ago after a long battle with cancer. His decline was very quick, he went into the hospice on a Sunday and passed away on the Tuesday. By Monday night he was in a coma, with his family at his side. A friend of my Mother, who also has cancer, had a dream that...
  34. S

Learned Spooks?

When I was a student in Aberystwyth, a fair few students in my halls mentioned seeing strange lights in their rooms, thankfully I didn't live in that block. The halls were around 40 years old so it's possible that there was a death in the building at some point.
  35. S

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I'd like to add my vote for Aberystwyth. Being a former student I know a bit about some of the strange characters in the town. My favourite was the running man who was about seventy and jogged all over the place in pink shorts. He had an aversion to cars and used to run out into the road...
  36. S

Sleep Walking / Sleepwalking & Unconscious Activity While Sleeping

I'm not a sleepwalker, but I am a sleeptalker. It seems quite common in my family. One night I was in bed with my boyfriend and said "I'm looking for a really attractive person," then hit him. Another time, when I was ill, he had to wake me up because my continuous mumbling was disturbing...
  37. S

Twins & Other Birth Multiples (Triplets, Etc.)

I think close siblings can have a similar bond to twins. My older sister and I were often treated like twins as children because we looked so similar. As we got older we often would answer each other's questions before they were voiced aloud, would start singing the same song spontaneously and...
  38. S

What's the most obviously magickal thing you've experienced?

Once, when I was feeling nervous, the crystal I was holding (loosely) in my hand broke in half. Is that unusual?
  39. S

Strange family backgrounds

I think it's quite romantic. They had about twelve kids and ran their own farm. The heir was painted out of all the family portraits. I think I would like to have met the circus girl though, from all accounts she had a pretty wild life :)
  40. S

Strange family backgrounds

I have a few odd and interesting ancestors, including a circus girl, a newspaper editor, a famous pianist and a rich gentleman who ran away to marry a servant girl (I would be rich and heir to a large estate if he hadn't). I'm also fascinated by my great-great-grandfather, whose identity is...
  41. S

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

I'm two degrees from Churchill and Nelson Mandela, three from the Queen, Tony Blair, George Bush and Stalin and four degrees from Hitler and Lenin. Most of these are through my Granny.
  42. S

Santa Claus / Father Christmas: Costume / Attire

As a child, I noticed that Father Christmas was quite often dressed in green in some depictions. I haven't noticed this so much in recent years.
  43. S

Murderers: How Many Have You Met?

I did know someone who was almost a killer (he stabbed someone in a drunken brawl, thankfully the victim lived). This guy was in my seminars and was really aggressive to any criticism of his work. He killed himself before he was brought to trial. Also, the dinner lady at my primary school...
  44. S

The Left Hand (Left-Handedness)

A lot of people seem to think I'm left-handed because I use my left hand a lot. My right hand I only really use for writing or using a mouse. Bizarrely, if I go to pick something up I almost always reach out with my left hand rather than my right. I don't understand why, it's a bit odd.
  45. S

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

I once stayed at a 15th century inn in Breccon with my family. Because we were a large family and it was a small hotel we occupied all of the rooms I found myself in a small attic room. The owner, a frail old lady, slept on the same floor. In the small hours of the morning, a loud bang woke...
  46. S

The Knock?

It probably was a bird of some kind, but it was nighttime and August. It certainly wasn't a plane, as it wasn't that kind of sound and there was nothing inside the room that could have been knocked against the glass. As I said before, it sounded like someone striking the glass hard with a...
  47. S

The Knock?

I have had some experience with a "knock." I've no idea if it was a genuine experience or not. Basically, I was visiting my boyfriend and we were, um, doing stuff, when there was a loud bang on the window, it sounded like someone hitting it very hard with a fist. We looked out the window...
  48. S

Precognitive Dreams

When I was fifteen I dreamt that I was wearing a necklace with the ankh symbol on it, in the morning I was woken by my little sister telling my that my grandmother had brought us presents. She handed me the present and I knew instantly that it was the necklace from my dream, before I had even...
  49. S

The Cat Speaks English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6DQuEh4UQ Freaky talking cats. :shock:
  50. S

Under The Weather

I seem to be affected most by the summer months - heat saps all my energy leaving me grumpy and tired, and I struggle to sleep. I can handle cold weather with layers of clothing, but I sleep a lot longer - almost as if I want to hibernate. Strange. :(
Back