• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. K

What Was Your First Interest In Fortean Topics?

Definitely Orbis' Unexplained partwork. My dad collected it and I would give myself such terrors reading about mothmen, green children, malevolent aliens and tulpas!
  2. K

Poisonous Food Urban Legends / Folkore

Pesto is naught but meconium from the devil's own spawn. Yeccccch. :cross eye
  3. K

Simulacra

Well, I have a spooky stick. Braaaaainss...
  4. K

Childish Terrors

I started reading the Unexplained at a young age, and I still remember a picture that scared the living daylights out of me for years. (I'd still rather not look at it now TBH). Book 5- in issue 58- an artist's rendering of the top half of a staring, red haired alien that followed a man up...
  5. K

Gamekeeper's Gibbets

When I worked in the grounds of a massive manor I found a string of six or seven magpie corpses hanging from an old redbrick garden wall, which seemed pretty pointless to me. It wasn't even in an area anybody would see unless they worked there. I like magpies, their reputation as baby bird...
  6. K

Litigation Gone Mad?

WOOP WOOP WOOP There goes my moron radar. YOU tried climbing into a clearly precarious area, where YOU knew you shouldn't go. YOU were pissed up and royally ruined your life. But it's not 100% your fault. YES IT IS That is all.
  7. K

Ripped Mouth Lady

Just like that scene in the Krays movie with the Kemp brothers... Man is accused of laughing at Reg Kray... Reg backs him up to wall, threatening "I'll make you laugh for the rest of your f***ing life!"... Produces his samurai sword, lays it across guy's mouth and pushes all the way in... Yummy
  8. K

Single-Purpose Shops

On the drive to Skegness there is a farmer with a permanent sign at the roadside which reads "FRESH DUG NEW TATES" When its no longer new potato season he drapes a sack over the "NEW".
  9. K

FT219

Personally all the recent Most Haunted- esque ghosthunting and the ghost coverage in FT bores me as much as the UFO stuff. Enough already... Till someone catches an alien by the tentacle or traps a ghost in a big jam jar, can we close the door on all the 'moving lights' and dodgy photos of...
  10. K

FT219

I hooted, showed my bloke and wondered how I could send a picture to my dad.
  11. K

Supermarket Blues

Going to my local Lidl whilst under the effects of hash cake is interesting. The products are all strange unfamiliar brands, there are peculiar vegetables and the colours are all extremely garish. Last time i spent an inordinate amount of time being impressed by the aubergines... I know...
  12. K

How About Some Good Sex?

:rofl:
  13. K

Harry Potter Vs. The Religious Right

"Questioning adult authority"? Why not? Adults are by no means always right or even having the best intentions!
  14. K

Joanne Lees

True. I just found her story to be incredibly holey anyway. She initially described the 'attacker' as having long hair, yet everyone seemed to overlook the fact that Murdoch had always been short haired. Seems quite a fundamental thing to get wrong- either a man has long hair or not, and clearly...
  15. K

Joanne Lees

From what I recall, there was talk of the DNA evidence having been brought into question as some of the detectives involved were a bit too determined to prove they'd got their man. By any means necessary? Evidence tampering, suppression or fabrication has all been done before.
  16. K

Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes

It's a hard one to pull off, because if most viewers are like me, as soon as they see the picture in question doesn't look how they think it should look, they lose interest. I turned over as soon as I saw the painting as it looked nothing like I imagined.
  17. K

Japan

Do they do over there what our schools do over here? i.e. when a pupil goes to a major newspaper after nothing is done about their bullying, or worse the pupil's grieving parents do after their child takes their own life through bullying going unpunished, the school issues a statement saying "We...
  18. K

What Is 'Human'?

...? Would you care to expand further upon why this has been included, i.e. what point you are making about which part of the discussion? We have all heard of them- in what context are you bringing them up? All in the interests of healthy debate and all that.
  19. K

Thinking You Recognise Someone & Then Really Seeing Them

There's a guy I am friends with who I would find very attractive if he wasn't so much like my Dad! It's not even in his facial features; it's in the way he talks, holds his pint, makes a point, reads the paper, shrugs his jacket on, stands at the bar... In short, every mannerism he has is like...
  20. K

Weird Personal Names

It wasn't the spelling I was bothered about- it's still pronounced the same!
  21. K

Weird Personal Names

I know a woman called Melina, I didnt think anything of it until a nurse friend told me that it was not really a pleasant name as melina is a secretion of the bowel when it is irritated, particularly from backdoor action. Yum :shock:
  22. K

Eating Non-Food Items (Pica; Eating Stunts; Etc.)

I have this as a byproduct of my pregnancy. It's a huge pain in the arse, metaphorically. I've been given no advice from healthcare workers- one midwife was surprised to hear I had cravings for chalk and sand. The general advice has been "Just treat yourself to a cake or something when you get...
  23. K

September 10th 2001

I've seen them in a few old films- surely it's not worth the money it would cost to edit them out? They were in Ghostbusters II last night. It would be odd not to have them when everybody knows they were there at the time; it'd be like lying about their existence.
  24. K

Dreaming of babies

I remember my friend telling me of a horrid dream she had when her boy was a baby. She was sitting with her partner, with the baby playing on the floor. She was watching him fondly, as mothers do, when he looked her straight in the eye and said in an adult voice, "I'm going to kill you."...
  25. K

There used to be a guy who drank in my pub who was the spitting image of a young Mike Peters. I had no idea, being not a big Alarm fan, till I saw a picture and realised they could literally have been twins. He surely cultivated the image, he had the same hairstyle and everything. I actually...
  26. K

Does anyone else get this problem?

I don't know if we're super cool or grossly geeky, but I lend my FTs to my nanna when I've read them and she thinks it's great :D
  27. K

This has happened more times than I can relate, and everyone I know is conscious of the phenomenon too. I think it happens to everyone, but why?! The strangest case of false recognition I have ever had was a few years ago, when I saw a girl walking across the taxi rank in front of me. She...
  28. K

Bees

The buddleia in my garden was host to thousands of insects this summer. Hundreds of butterflies, enough bees to start a hive, even a few oddities like the hummingbird hawk moth. I let the bush grow to about eight feet instead of trimming it down, and even now in October there are still a few...
  29. K

Ridiculous Accidents

Well the stupidest accident I've heard of happened to a chap called Bob I used to drink with. One evening, very very drunk outside the pub, Bob bent over to do something- tie his shoes, retrieve a dropped item, I don't know. He was so pissed that he stumbled, stood on the fingers of one hand...
  30. K

What Is 'Human'?

The easiest answer to that is, we don't call a genetically separate group of people by a different name because they generally don't like it- the names they get assigned are usually used derogatorily. (Mongol, spastic, midget, and plenty more.) We wouldn't call a mule a horse because it isn't...
  31. K

Animal Journeys

:rofl:
  32. K

Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Nightmares and Dreamscapes... That's the one with 'Chattery Teeth' in it, one of my favourite SK short stories!
  33. K

Scary Dreams

The most vivid strange dream I can recall is a very short one. I woke up in the dark on the beach (in the dream lol) and I had no idea how I'd got there. It was cold, dark and I was quite close to the water line. The tide was coming in from what I could make out. (I recognise the beach as one I...
  34. K

Dreaming of babies

I have not a clue I'm afraid... But I used to have recurring dreams. Always the dream would take place in familiar places of my childhood. usually the back garden of my parents' house. All around the garden, in the flower beds and the lawn, there would be a great number of small ponds. I...
  35. K

Sack the New Hierophant?

Personally I don't find the Hierophant very interesting at all. It's just not a part of FT that holds my interest and I agree with the above... Bring back the FT crossword instead! IMHO the UFO thing has been done to death and they should have less, not more, coverage between the pages of FT...
  36. K

FT216

I did a little "Woo- hoo" when I saw it on the doormat. My days are rather sedentary of late, being nearly 38 weeks pregnant, and the sofa is where I live. Fresh interesting reading material! Such was my delighted haste I actually bent to pick it up myself instead of whining for the chap to come...
  37. K

The Baby Whisperer

I actually found the programme quite interesting :shock: Either he does have a gift, or he is very good at intuiting what is making the child unhappy. Allowing for creative editing, he did seem to suss the child out very quickly. A lot of it was obvious- stop giving your child so many E...
  38. K

Animal Journeys

Poor bloody bird! Either it had managed alone over nine years, or it was taken in; either way, I think the original falconer should have left it be. It was his nine years ago!
  39. K

Message In A Bottle

I have always toyed with the idea of tossing one out into the sea (fnarr) but I haven't actually done it. I think it would have to be a glass one; taking the chance of it breaking but at least if it does, it will be ground down naturally. Of course, if you still think it's littering, you can...
  40. K

Hissing spider!

Splendid things they are. They are powerful enough to feed on frogs, toads, small snakes, lizards and mice. (I don't know how often they get to eat baby birds). Plus they make hissing sounds, a la the original thread, by rubbing parts of their body together :) There is a Whistling Tarantula...
  41. K

Joanne Lees

I was amazed that Murdoch was convicted, to be honest. However guilty or innocent Lees was in all of it- conspirator or terrified victim- I don't think they got the right man. Reading about the evidence, testimonies, huge discrepancies in Lees' story etc, I honestly thought that they would have...
  42. K

Hissing spider!

The Cardinal Spider, a house spider the males of which you see highstepping round the skirting boards, have a supposed 'normal' maximum legspan of 13cm. I have seen one this big and it may have even been bigger; this was a couple of years ago. This weather could conceivably increase the long-...
  43. K

It makes me laugh that they actually try. That nutty woman actually believing that stories like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White were disturbing too and should be removed from schools. Hellooo... the witches all die horribly!! That tract about Harry Potter leading to Satanism and ...gasp... 'The...
  44. K

Hissing spider!

Re: Screaming Earwig PMSL... The Screamapillar. Just a heads up... The abundance of insects in the damp mild weather has meant that spiders of all types are growing to spectacular proportions. House spiders with a 20cm legspan... When they get to that sort of size their fangs are strong...
  45. K

Pratchett vs Rowling

I find Pratchett really hit- and- miss, usually miss unfortunately. His style of humour hangs a lot on juxtaposing and comparing two very dissimilar things for comic effect. I have to agree about the smartarse comment too. But... Occasionally he will make me laugh a lot, I have a signed copy of...
  46. K

Hissing spider!

It's like the film Eight Legged Freaks- I love it, but the screeching, hissing and growling of the giant spiders is so not grounded in any sort of reality! Fab film though very silly.
  47. K

We Won't Stop Growing Taller

Oh its not height but shoe size apparently... I have only met one tall bigfoot who was hung like a squirrel. All the rest, tall or short, seem to correlate quite accurately re foot size.(Yes, I had a very misspent youth). The smallest willy I ever saw was on a guy who was of a reasonable height...
  48. K

Long will this one rumble on... I wonder how many of these zealous parents have read the books. The actual amount of magic in the books is tiny compared to the amount of lessons about growing up. Having family problems, getting picked on at school, having too much homework, falling out with...
  49. K

Hissing spider!

Spiders breathe through their abdomens with very primitive 'book lungs' so any sort of vocal hissing is pretty much out. Most invertebrates make their noises with physical actions, like rubbing bits of their exoskeleton together. I was once squared up to by a woodlouse spider... It was sitting...
  50. K

The Blair Witch Project

Entirely agreed. I couldn't believe that people were writing it off as "boring"... Then I realised these were the people who liked movies such as Jeepers Creepers. (Which I thought was utter bob once the 'monster' was revealed). BWP I found to be very unsettling, it's very easy to give yourself...
Back