• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. gyrtrash

The Pemberton Poltergeist!

Came across this the other day - A very recent news article in a Wigan newspaper detailing a current haunting... A quick google doesn't turn up any previous reports of a haunting at the Pemberton Police Station. Although, the police probably never bothered to report any 'weird' incidents...
  2. gyrtrash

Gamekeeper's Gibbets

Anyone know about gamekeeper's gibbets? I recently came across this bird partly hidden in a hedge, whilst walking the valleys around the Howgill Fells. Is it typical of a gamekeeper's gibbet? It wasn't in plain view, and the body was alone, near a farm. There seems to be some nifty skewering...
  3. gyrtrash

Wax Cones, Anyone?

Last April I was walking on the moors near where I live. During the course of the afternoon's wandering about, I stopped for a rest by a boulder that a crow was perched upon. (Of course, it flew away as I approached!). I paused there awhile and found a little pool of water on the other side of...
  4. gyrtrash

Newly-Built Haunted Houses?

Does anyone know of any 'haunted' houses that have been very recently constructed? What's the 'youngest' house that's been reported to be haunted? How can a house that's just been built or recently been built, be haunted? Just wondered...
  5. gyrtrash

Barrow Hill

And... Looks fun! :D http://www.barrow-hill.co.uk/index2.htm http://www.shadowtorstudios.co.uk/
  6. gyrtrash

Hawk - The movie

No, it's not a sequel to 'Hawk the Slayer'! It seems to be a slightly surreal-looking short film that was shot last year. The story follows the life of a boy who grows up to become something like, er, a shaman-type character. (The blurb says it was originally going to be about a serial...
  7. gyrtrash

Pagan Federation National Conference, 27th November, Croyden

The Pagan Federation National Conference takes place on Saturday 27th November at Fairfield Halls, Croydon, starting at 10am and going through until midnight! Speakers This year speakers include... * Tania Ahsan - Islam and Witchcraft: the supernatural world of Pakistan. * Nigel Bourne -...
  8. gyrtrash

Bogleys Standing Stone

Standing Stone reveals ancient secrets at modern opencast site Source: FIFE TODAY
  9. gyrtrash

The God(dess?) Cocidius

Can anyone please furnish me with more information, or links, books etc. about this deity? All I can find is that it was a Romano-British god of hunting, or forests, usually 'worshipped' around the north of England. Different sources on the 'net describe the deity as male or female...
  10. gyrtrash

Thursbitch

'Thursbitch' - Alan Garner's latest book. Has anyone read it? What did you think of it? I've just finished it. I reckon it's still sinking in. It's got standing stones in it! And heads hidden in holy wells. And a bloke who seems to see and hear beyond what we see and hear...
  11. gyrtrash

Cantre'r Gwaelod (Cantref y Gwaelod)

Copied from the Lost Lands thread: http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/lost-lands.11552/ I was in Wales at the weekend (Porthmadog) and came across a book with a local story about a land lost to the sea. ... And there's a good article on the BBC site about the Lost Land of Wales...
  12. gyrtrash

Werewolf Sightings In North Yorkshire

Can anyone furnish me with any information, links, books etc. that describe the purported activities of a werewolf in East Yorkshire? I believe the beast could be found around the village of Flixton... Cheers Dave:)
  13. gyrtrash

Travelling Magic

I mentioned this on another thread but I'm not sure what it is! :p Can anyone help? The context I heard it used in was to describe curious symbols carved onto stone. The symbols were deciphered by an Occultist who said they may be used for 'Travelling Magic' or Summoning. So...
  14. gyrtrash

Alternative Medicine: Osteopathy

Anyone know any effective alternative treatments for sciatica? I don't think sitting on my arse for two weeks has done me any favours!
  15. gyrtrash

The Omphalos Of Britain

The 'Omphalos' - 'a sacred centre which each civilisation seems to create or adopt' (Bob Trubshaw)... So, where's ours? The Omphalos of these islands? Or do we have more than one? Maybe:- THIS ARTICLE reckons a prime candidate might be Oxford! THIS ARTICLE reveals a few...
  16. gyrtrash

HUGE Megalithic Complex Discovered In Turkey!

A massive complex of megaliths has been un-earthed in the mountains of Turkey. From; http://antiquity.ac.uk/ProjGall/erdogu/erdogu.html Second largest site in Europe? So new it's not even been excavated yet?! I wonder if they want volunteers? :)
  17. gyrtrash

Avebury Stones

New stones discovered at Avebury Got this in an email today;- Source: National Trust Press Release 2/12/2003 I hope the NT change their minds. I'd love to see the 'lost' stones re-erected! :)
  18. gyrtrash

The Fathers Of The Rosy Cross

Help! Anyone got any info for, links etc. to anything pertaining to a group called The Fathers of the Rosy cross? I'm aware it's highly likely a form of the Rosicrucian organisation, and they seem to have a few off-shoots/schisms. This group appear to have been active in the 1880's in...
  19. gyrtrash

Beware the Water Wolf...

Thought it fit in 'Folklore' better than 'Cryptozoology'! In an old copy of the 'Keighley Herald' from 10th December, 1909 is a story about a woman possessed by a 'water wolf'. In appearance it was 'like a frog, grey, rough and hard about as big as a knob on her oven door and three inches...
  20. gyrtrash

Vanishing Hippies at Stonehenge!

I came across this tale recently, in 'Into the Dragons Lair; A supernatural history of Wales' (pg. 18-19) I've never heard this story before! Does anyone remember it? The book goes on to say it was 'apparently covered up to great effect by the Ministry of Defence', was 'mentioned in a...
  21. gyrtrash

The Weerde

Anyone else read this collection of short stories? I remember it from the early nineties I think. The basic premise is; there is another 'race', far older than humanity, that co-habits this world with us. No, not vampires. More subtle than that. More in the 'shape-shifting' line. Though...
  22. gyrtrash

Stone Circles (General; Miscellaneous; News)

From; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3186601.stm I wonder how many more finds of this magnitude are out there waiting to be un-earthed?
  23. gyrtrash

The 'Famh': Scottish Monster?

I came across a mention of a creature called the 'Famh' recently. It was described as an 'evil and ugly monster known as the famh (gaelic for mole)' and reputedly haunts the Cairngorms around Glen Avin. It posesses a head 'twice the size of it's body' (!) and legend says that to cross it's...
  24. gyrtrash

British Rock Carvings

Cup-and-ring markings So... Anyone hazard a guess as to what it's all about? I'm baffled... (ain't hard to do!...) Are there any near you? Got any pics? Meself, I think it's a water thing. In my part of the country anyways... A map of the 'holy' springs...
  25. gyrtrash

Thornborough: Stonehenge Of The North!?

Whilst doing some reading I came across a reference to a henge complex not far from home. With my interest aroused, I set off a few weekends ago to have a look and take some pics. I wasn’t expecting much, I’d never heard of the place before. I was amazed! Three huge henges in alignment...
  26. gyrtrash

Flannan Islands: Mysterious Disappearance

This is one of my favourite weird tales! It's like a 'Mary Celeste', but happened on the remote islands west of the Hebrides at the beginning of the last century. 'Strange Islands. The Flannan Islands have long been the focal point of many superstitions by the local people. Indeed there...
  27. gyrtrash

By Gum!

Just to lighten the war-mongering despondency... I heard on the radio today that the producers of chewing gum are to phase out the stuff we know and love. It will be replaced by those ethereal blue, wafer-thin slips of 'flavour'...('ice-thin' or something - can't remember it's name). The...
  28. gyrtrash

Symbol On Stone: Any Guesses What It Is?

I was wandering some local moorland a few weeks ago, when I came across this symbol carved on a flat rock by a footpath. It's obviously recent compared to the other stuff up there... My first impression was of a Freemason's implement and something akin to the symbol for the planet Jupiter...
  29. gyrtrash

People Trapped Underground (In Mines, Wells, Caves, Etc.)

I was in idle conversation with a journalist from my local 'paper today (the Yorkshire Evening Post), and the subject of macabre stories came up... He recalled an incident from his early days, "..about 30 years ago..", when a pot-holer had got himself stuck underground and could not be moved...
  30. gyrtrash

The Camera Never Lies?

Last summer I dug out some family photographs that were taken about 4 years ago.While looking through them, I came across one of my three children playing in their bedroom. Something wasn't quite right, at first I wasn't sure what, but the room looked different. The carpet had a distinct and...
  31. gyrtrash

Wild (Non-Domesticated) Animal Mutilations?

Animal mutilations- part two Has anyone come across any reports of "wild" animal bodies being discovered showing signs of intelligent (!?) mutilation? Has the incidence of domesticated animal mutilation reports decreased/increased since the Foot and mouth outbreaks?
Back