• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. mikfez

Otter In The Village

Added a Google Drive Link
  2. mikfez

Otter In The Village

https://nextdoor.co.uk/p/-NCLwNgwnGF4?utm_source=share&extras=MTc1OTIxODk5NDkyODk= Looks like an otter to me.
  3. mikfez

Weird Weather

A "tornado" knocked a caravan onto its side and ripped a garage apart after sweeping through a sleepy East Riding village without warning. Hull Daily Mail Link The weather phenomenon happened at around 10.10am (27th Sept 2021) and seemed to hit just two residential streets in Thorngumbald -...
  4. mikfez

Woman Dressed As Nun Seen Dancing With Skeleton Outside Hull Graveyard

I moved from Lincolnshire to East Yorkshire 17 years ago (because of my job) - I retired 4 years ago and I ain't moving back.
  5. mikfez

Humberside was abolished on 1 April 1996, with four unitary authorities being formed: North Lincolnshire, North East Lincolnshire, Kingston upon Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire
  6. mikfez

Bizarre sight for drivers and passers-by on Spring Bank West Hull Daily Mail Link The woman was wearing a cream nun’s habit and coif headpiece. She was seen appearing to dance with one model human skeleton and playing with another of what looked like a dog.
  7. mikfez

Magpie Whisperer

This is really heartwarming :)
  8. mikfez

Daphnia Spiral Dance

Thanks Frides :)
  9. mikfez

Daphnia Spiral Dance

Those tricksy Daphnia are now going clockwise (counter-widdershins)
  10. mikfez

Daphnia Spiral Dance

Better video taken 22/06/21 >
  11. mikfez

Daphnia Spiral Dance

The video was taken on the 17th June 2021 - it shows Daphnia in my wildlife pond massing together to form spirals at the surface. The rippling effect was caused by the Daphnia. They were still at it today ... Sorry it's not the best shot video
  12. mikfez

The Dubuque Frog Hail (1882)

An interesting collection of reports and explanations of extraordinary hail and the Dubuque Frog Hail Incident
  13. mikfez

Pink Rainbow

Rare pink rainbow forms over East Yorkshire > The pink appearance of the rainbow, as opposed to its typical full spectrum, comes as a result of an optical illusion and is described as a very rare phenomenon. This happens as the red in the rainbow is refracted due to the sun being lower when is...
  14. mikfez

Sound Mirror

Not so much new science but it was in the day - This is the Sound Mirror on the East Yorkshire coast between Easington and Kilnsea > It was used to detect aircraft prior to the invention of radar. Wikipedia Link
  15. mikfez

Lo! First Edition - Signed

If you have $4000 to spare > eBay Link Signed by Charles Fort on the page following the front free endpaper in black ink, inscribed to previous owner.
  16. mikfez

Subscription Problems

Anyone else having problems with the new paper envelope that FT is delivered in? My last two issues have had the envelope torn along with the mag - this never happened with the old plastic envelope.
  17. mikfez

‘Old Person Smell' Is A Scientific And Inescapable Part Of Ageing

From Wikipedia > Old Person Smell Old person smell is known as kareishū (加齢臭) in Japan, where much social value is placed on personal grooming, and specific upmarket odor-eliminating soaps are targeted at more elderly consumers. Is this a gap in the UK/US market?
  18. mikfez

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Meanwhile - on the other side of the coin - Hull Daily Mail Link > White van man - 'I'm not a dog napper, I'm just collecting scrap' "I'm getting harassed on Facebook by people. I'm trying to start my own business and people are constantly reporting me to the police for asking about peoples dogs...
  19. mikfez

Tinnitus

Thanks Eponastill What a beautiful book - Imagine the amount of time it took to print - Incredible
  20. mikfez

Tinnitus

From Gerard's Herbal Book 2 Part 2 (1633) > Ground-Ivy is commended against the humming noise and ringing found of the ears, being put into them, and for them that are hard of hearing. Also known as - Ale-Hoof, Gill-go-by-ground, Tunhoof, and Cat's-Foot. Note - while searching for "ivy" I found...
  21. mikfez

Hull Exorcist Battles Spirits Who Set Woman Alight And Threw Him Downstairs

Ralph Keeton says he has a special gift which allows him the communicate with spirits Link to Hull Daily Mail Article "Sceptics will certainly laugh in derision about the stories he can tell and he doesn’t blame them... ... what I do is a little different. I go into the room and ask them what...
  22. mikfez

Ancient & Unexplained Mysteries Bundle - Fanatical

£13.25p for 25 books of Ancient & Unexplained Mysteries - all in PDF format Link to Fanatical Book Bundle Not to my taste but > With this fascinating eBook collection, you will look into the popular series by Erich Von Daniken, including ‘Evidence of the Gods’ and ‘Remnants of the Gods’. Where...
  23. mikfez

Tumbling Bones? (The Chase Vault; Barbados)

I've just finished reading Unsolved Mysteries - A Collection of Weird Problems (From the Past) by Valentine Dyall (1954) and in the appendix is the following >
  24. mikfez

FT PDF

Try this > Fortean Times Unofficial Index Winter 1985 - December 2020 (Issues 45 to 399) on eBay
  25. mikfez

The London Beer Flood (1814)

The Great London Beer Flood 1814
  26. mikfez

Peter Sellers' 'Metal Underwear'

Legendary British actor and comedian Peter Sellers had a (Dr Strange)love affair with his “metal underwear”. Sellers claimed that he had no personality of his own, which explained his need to inhabit other characters. Cars, like characters and costumes, represented different personalities he...
  27. mikfez

Twin Peaks

Where is it referenced that, while in a coma, Audrey was raped by Evil Cooper? Or is it just a supposition?
  28. mikfez

Biphasic / Polyphasic Sleep

Working 12 hour shifts offshore I've got used to going to bed at 2000, reading until I fell asleep and getting up at 0530. On retiring I found it hard to change this pattern and it evolved into > Bed at 2000 and read until I fall asleep. Wake at 0300/0400 walk the dogs. Back to bed an hour later...
  29. mikfez

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

I agree with this bit - the Haunted Generation thing has run its course especially as it seems to have become a section on obscure atmospheric music.
  30. mikfez

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

The creepy Kingswood knicker sniffer with keys to 30 homes Hull Daily Mail Link A Kingswood dog walker with keys to over 30 homes has been caught on camera stealing a teenager's knickers from her drawer.
  31. mikfez

Surrealism

Restored version of Luis Bunuel & Salvador Dali's surreal film Un Chien Anldalou(1929) Un Chien Andalou Link The eye-slice is at 1:30
  32. mikfez

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

Another phrase that always puzzled me - Bran new. Apparently it's because in the 18c items were packed in bran. I also thought that it morphed into brand new but not so; Brand new came earlier and was something to do with burning a piece of wood. Now how about box standard morphing into bog...
  33. mikfez

Prisencolinensinainciusol

What language is this chap singing in? Link to Wikipedia Article
  34. mikfez

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

Supermarket worker killed 15 chickens by having sex with them Hull Daily Mail Link Barbara Webster, prosecuting, said: “He did not like performing the act and said sorry to the chickens after.” He also admitted having intercourse with his pet dog over a four month period, but said the dog "did...
  35. mikfez

Strange Crimes

A "vile" man who spat on a charity bag before posting it through a couple's front door is not an employee and was "impersonating a clothing collector", claim the charity. Hull Daily Mail Link
  36. mikfez

Too many posts to quote > Thanks EnolaGaia for all your work :)
  37. mikfez

What does the phrase "draws the feet" mean? I'd only heard it in The Goon Show up to now (Grytpype-Thynne mentions that pumps don't draw the feet) but I've just come across it in Agatha Christie - Poirot is told that patent leather shoes "draw the feet" I assume it's a polite way of saying sweating.
  38. mikfez

Eels

An Eel Crossing the Road
  39. mikfez

Eels

In my youth I did a lot of fishing in Oulton Broad and on the Lake Lothing side of the Bridge Road lock we used to night-fish for eels. When the lock was closed we'd often see them coming out of the salt water of Lake Lothing, wriggle along the ground, over the road and into the fresh water of...
  40. mikfez

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

What about a Bonsai Kitten > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai_Kitten
  41. mikfez

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'm assuming that the grey substance is also what they leave behind when they fly into the windows - on a regular basis.
  42. mikfez

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Every so often I get a grey scum on the top of my pond which has been puzzling me until yesterday >
  43. mikfez

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

This film is mentioned in Mark Edward's book Confessions of a Conflicted Medium > Roustabout Stanton Carlisle (Tyrone Power) joins a traveling carny and unsuccessfully schemes to figure out the mind-reading act of Mademoiselle Zeena (Joan Blondell) and her alcoholic husband, Pete (Ian Keith)...
  44. mikfez

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia Link
  45. mikfez

Serial Killers

Britain's most dangerous man 'kept in same glass box as Hannibal Lecter' underneath Yorkshire prison Robert Maudsley Link to Hull Daily Mail Article The serial killer was one of 12 children and was taken into care when he was just a baby. Maudsley spent his early years living at Nazareth House...
  46. mikfez

Randonauts & Randonautica (App)

It seems that to many of these kids the outside world is a foreign country and when they do visit it they rarely take their eyes from their phones. They're suddenly realising that there are things out there which to them are strange. For me - like yourself Naughty_Felid - all this would have...
  47. mikfez

Randonauts & Randonautica (App)

Shit get weird > Random Confirmation Bias
  48. mikfez

Copper: Health Benefits

Copper’s Virus-Killing Powers Were Known Even to the Ancients Link to Smithsonian Magazine Article The SARS-CoV-2 virus endures for days on plastic or metal but disintegrates soon after landing on copper surfaces. As far back as 1,600 B.C., the Chinese used copper coins as medication to treat...
  49. mikfez

Harry Grindell Matthews

YouTube Video - Harry Grindell Matthews - The Death Ray (1924) Seems like an interesting chap - Wikipedia Link
  50. mikfez

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

The Colour Out Of Space - Ningen Isu
Back