• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

David Icke & His Work

That's probably why the comment stuck in my mind - even for a 9 year old I thought it was a pretty strange way to essentially make a size comparison/observation. From my dim and distant memories, computers were a big, big thing in the 70s and everyone seemed fascinated by them - partly...
  2. D

David Icke & His Work

This dicussion of DI's moon theory has sparked a childhood memory. It must have been 1980ish and I had a book from my library on Astronomy, written by some organisation called The Scottish Astronomical Society (which on a cursory look on the web I can't find, so that's probably not quite...
  3. D

Mystery helicopter over London 23/9/10 btwn 0000 & 0100h

...and also laying down decoy chinese lanterns to hide the real UFO's in the sky...
  4. D

Mystery helicopter over London 23/9/10 btwn 0000 & 0100h

I got woken up at ~1am recently - say a few months ago - by a helicopter hovering, it seemed, about 100 feet above my flat (unable to get a look at it unfortunately). But then again I live in Clapton, Hackney - which is 'trident' country, and I know from experience that they can throw a...
  5. D

Alcohol and Fortean Occurrences: Am I Missing Something?

MsQkxyz: Eek don't know where to start with that! On one hand, once in a blue moon, instead of mellowing out I can get hyper-aggressive, hyper-sad or hyper-paranoid (and if I have more than a bottle of Chardannoy I am about 50/50 on the verge of a kill-rampage - it's my alcoholic achilles...
  6. D

I would guess that the withdrawal symptoms from a dependent state may be the original source of the idea that we now have that being a little tipsy causes hallucinations. It would seem that pre-20th Century, certainly for Britain, alcohol consumption was considerably higher than now. Hence...
  7. D

It seems to me, reading a lot of accounts and news about strange occurences that the fall back position of many of the members of public that see wierdness is that they were sober or had barely touched a drop of alcohol, hence they are sure that what they saw was real. From my experience...
  8. D

Down with Literature!

The problem and strength of all genre writing (and I'd lump all 'real elite literature' in a special genre for this argument) is that, like science, every good new addition to the genre builds on the past. Hence, writers cross genre at your own peril, unless you are willing to read up on what...
  9. D

The Most Frightening Or Unnerving Song

It seems to me, purely subjectively and with no hard facts to back me up, that music seems to be able to bypass the cerebral and logic parts of the mind and intertwine itself directly with your deepest emotions as well as being a important (and unbidden) cue for memories. Much more difficult...
  10. D

Lights in the Sky

Oh I totally agree, pyschosomatic conditions that led to real effects on demand I'm sure everyone has experienced at least once. Losing about 12 hours of time whilst being motionless reminds me of the trick I saw Derren Brown do - getting someone in the desert at about noon and then telling...
  11. D

How long would you stay...

Your state of mind is key here I think, If you don't believe the house your in is haunted and you are very happy in it - you probably won't even notice the sounds it makes as it heats and cools/air pressure differences moving doors etc... (And in fact miss any Ghost as well :-) ) On the...
  12. D

Is it that any Queen music gets you to subconsciously think about the 'Greatest Rock Song of All Time' and 'First Video Ever to Be Played', Bohemian Raphsody? A song that we have all heard so often, that there is probably a few 1000 neurons in our brains that are continously playing it, in a...
  13. D

Lights in the Sky

I don't know if anyone has done the statistics on UFO reports and if areas that are near flight paths are more likely to generate such calls/reports, but living in deepest darkest north Hackney, right next to the 'UFO Hotspot' of Walthamstow/Leyton, I can safetly assume that either 1) UFO's...
  14. D

Lights in the Sky

coba72, Thanks for the anecdotes. I believe that the military do use a bit of the Pentlands for thier own purposes, so that may explain some of the strange lights in the sky (although in the 14 years I was there, I only saw the military once, at a gala day...) There is something stark...
  15. D

Lights in the Sky

It has been ~30 years since the events that I am going to describe happened, but they have been a constant puzzle to me and can say that they have been instrumental in making me an avid follower of all things Fortean. I will try and be as succinct - but also try and give as many details as...
  16. D

Poisonous Food Urban Legends / Folkore

Eek. I'm impressed - I couldn't handle one full cup of tea without milk. My only 'heroic' student starvation diet was to survive a full month on £3 worth of food. All I could say then was that thank god for Tesco economy bake beans (3 pence a can at the time) and economy plum tomatos (9...
  17. D

Poisonous Food Urban Legends / Folkore

I think this falls into a generalised urban myth which can be written: " An unnamed male student at X, died/almost died from a diet of exclusiving eating Y." In my years at Heriot-Watt, late 80s, the story doing the rounds was of a student at Aberdeen university who tried to survive on a...
  18. D

My favourite disturbing Electronica is Meat Beat Manifesto - Samples of mad bits of trivia, theremins, white noise and snippets of half-heard radio transmissions. Plus also a reasonably high Fortean-esqe content. Probably 'Actual Sound + Voices' and 'Subliminal Sandwich' the two creepy albums...
  19. D

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

I had been writing a lot so I was trying to make the original post relatively short! My friend. lets call him M, used to live close to the US Embassy in Mayfair. He's now divorced but at the time was living with his wife and two children in a relatively spacious flat, something like the...
  20. D

Mayan Calendar & 21st December 2012

Interestingly the Maya (and the Aztec) believed that the Great Cycle we are in now, which would have begun on the 13th August 3114 BC with the creation of the universe as we see it. The previous 'universe' was destroyed by a great flood. Interesting as it kinda ties with other peoples flood...
  21. D

Black-Eyed Kids

oh, Amendum to the above. This morning I was sleeping when I dreamt that I was in my flat and two children were outside. Somehow a boy came up to my second floor level and through the open window asked me if he could come in. I must have said yes as he strode in (as if he floated up) and I...
  22. D

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

I was reading this thread and trying to think of my scariest moment, when a grasshopper-type insect, bright green about the size of a 10pence coin walked right in front of me on my desk. I jumped, but to be fair I think I scared it more ;-) I have to say that practically all of my fortean...
  23. D

People Who Feel Wrong

Could it be two processes at work. First a brief moment of 'lucid' reality followed by a burst of paranoia as the brain refuses to comprehend? I think most people walk about in a semi-dream, only concentrating on important things like cycling without getting yourself killed, the mind then...
  24. D

Black-Eyed Kids

Whether or not the original BEK story/s are true there does seem to be a 'resonance' that attracts people. Partly there does seem to be a 'real-life' plausability about them - no supernatural powers displayed or fantastic abilities - added to the feeling that something/someone is not quite right...
  25. D

Richard Dawkins

Not being religious or spiritual myself (hence fascinated about why a lot of people do and believe what they do) I'm probably not the best person to answer this. But feck it, my turn to be pompous :) . I think the mechanism for religious creativity has been working at full steam for a long...
  26. D

Richard Dawkins

Sorry mate, I wasn't being too serious :wink: But I did understand what you meant. The Elohim, as you put it, looks very much like a Sumerian/Babylonian diety, slowly transmuting into the more 'modern' Yahweh.
  27. D

Richard Dawkins

Weak god? Omnipotent god? What about the doddery-old fool of a god, as demonstrated in the opening chapters of Genesis. First in a stroll about Eden, he can't find Adam and Eve, who are hiding their nakedness (The omnipotence-o-meter must have been shut off) Then he gets creation all...
  28. D

My Myth is Bigger than Yours!

I was re-reading a bit of Scottish History recently and going through the Declaration of Independence of Arbroath in 1320, which includes the Scots/Irish origin myth. Briefly, for those that don't know, this mythology (or at least one version of it) has the race of Scots originating from an...
  29. D

Countries Which Don't Exist (Self-Declared; Unrecognised; Etc.)

Hi Whistling Jack, Nice list, to augment it I stumbled recently upon a list of 'flags of formerly independent states' in wiki - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Flags ... ent_states It should have a few new places to add to you list. Also, I'm forever looking out to find...
  30. D

Cables From The Sky

MercuryCrest: Apologies if you have already been told about this, but the semi-recent season on Medieval topics on BBC4 had, in the episode on Medievel Knowledge (I think): Inside the Medieval mind, as well as discussions of dog headed men and other Fortean oddities, The sky-line story...
  31. D

Arty Farty Had A Party

There definitely seemed to be something about Glasgow and accidents with buses, as I was sung to by my gran... 'You cannae push yir grannie aff a bus, You cannae push yir grannie aff a bus, You cannae push yir grannie, as she's yir mammies mammie, You cannae push yir grannie aff a bus'...
  32. D

2012, what happened when the cycle began?

From 'The Maya' Michael D. Coe (not Fortean, but a rather nice little introduction to the Maya IMO) p213- "As has been said before, the idea of cyclical creations and destructions is a typical feature of Mesoamerican religons. The Aztecs, for instance, thought that the universe passed...
  33. D

Eurovision

The simpler reason that Gemini didn't get a vote is that the girl couldn't sing live for toffee. The off-tune warblings were so bad that I think Wogan was so embarrased he had to invent another reason for our nul pointer, hence blaming the Iraq war :wink: . Here's the whole sorry performance...
  34. D

POLL: Have Your Experiences Confirmed Your Beliefs Or Not?

This one is a little difficult to answer, but the best way I can try and put it (I put 'other' in the poll) is that I had such a good number of excellent fortean/paranormal experiences by the time I was 12 that they firmly embedded themselves into my evolving belief systems. So I suppose I'd...
  35. D

The Atlantis Thread

Old_Pretender: I like the cut of your jib :D . It kinda makes sense... However you have to explain how this piece of folk history from the North-West frontier of the World finds its way back to become a secret history held by the Egyptians only! Surely it would be transmitted from North to...
  36. D

Smiths and Magic

Give me a large camp fire (or one in a living room) and if nothing else is happening I would sit and 'play' with it to my hearts content - easily input anything to hand to see how it burns or what happens. Not for scientific reasons - just an urge to interact with the flame. I would have...
  37. D

Living ghost theory

true, as the actual mechanism of OBE'ing is unknown too - so it's a valid point. When the thought came to me I had this idea of transmitters (people OBEing) and recievers (people in dark, scary places - maybe even around most haunted film crews etc...). A bit like antenna broadcasting TV signals...
  38. D

Living ghost theory

Apologies if this is old hat, but the thought cropped up yesterday and I hadn't really seen it on the forums. I was reading Lyall Watson's "Beyond Supernature" (had a childhood nostalga for reading the first one in the 1970s, so I got hold of the the 'new' 1985 updated version) and was...
  39. D

Twenty Three (The Number: Coincidences Involving '23')

Well on an infinite calculator, (Unless I am forgetting my long division), it has to be 0.666 recurring - where could the 7 come from? Not that I have one handy :D , but at least a pen and bit of paper can handle it. (there's something to be said for the old technolgy - much better at infinity)
  40. D

The Cheese Man Of Huntingdonshire

Yep, Vitamen C seems the sticky one - a quick google about seems to suggest that we can adapt to extract it from meat. (logically carnivores have to do the same). I would hazard a guess that gut fauna plays a key part. As soon as you maintain a meat-only diet those groups that don't have bugs...
  41. D

I remember being at a talk were someone had spent a year with them as part of his PhD. Seemingly the only traditional source of vegetable matter was if they killed Caribou and found moss in its stomach. (Yep they'd eat that too). Mind you, you wouldn't survive very long on a mainly vegetable...
  42. D

I'm pretty sure there was a case reported in the FT within the past year of someone dying as a result of a diet of chips, white bread with an occasional treat of half a tin of baked beans. Wasn't there someone in the 'Freaky eaters' program that had a broadly similar approach to diet?
  43. D

Coincidences

There does, on first sight, seem to be a connection between what you are watching and what you are reading: Like, I as was reading A history of Western philosophy while Lost series 1 started and got to the chapter on Rousseau when the character Rousseau appeared (but probably not...
  44. D

Sleep Paralysis & Night Hag Experience

The first time I mentioned it to a doctor was when, as I was nearing the end of my PhD and being quite stressed and I started getting hallucinations of voices for the first time. (Stress, whether apparent or not, does seems to be a big instigatator of hynagogic effects). As soon as I...
  45. D

Sleep Paralysis & Night Hag Experience

I too took a rational view on night hag experiences, very quickly when they started. (I was quite a militant physicist when growing up, but I've mellowed out a lot now :wink: . ) But even with lots of practise I find it impossible to maintain the old hag state - there is a crescendo of terror...
  46. D

Weird Business-Proposition Emails

After years of getting Nigerian 'investment opportunities' (that country must be bled dry now) I got this interesting offer from Captain James Brian of the US - currently Iraq...: Dear Friend, Compliments of the day comes to you in a quality way. Please i want you to treat the content of...
  47. D

Militant Agnosticism

How is this breaking a religous law? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have a bible handy, but does it state or even hint at all when the birth take place? (ok the shepards are bit of a clue.) Then if we don't actually know the true date then any day can be taken to act as the...
  48. D

Relics

Seemingly there are about 30-40 nails held in churches throughout europe that all claim to be the nails that they used in the cruxcifiction of Christ, which is perhaps the work of an over-zealous roman or maybe they found the bag of nails that the soldiers used. Also at one point in the Middle...
  49. D

Relics

Re: multiplicity of relics - I think they are well aware that there are enough bits or cross/nails/bones etc... to kit out quite a few spares of various saints and a couple dozen crosses - so they invented classes of relics. - 1st class are corporeal parts of saints as well as artifacts...
  50. D

The Erosion of Christianity in Britain

Perhaps we are taking a too modern slant on why Christian festivals have 'hijacked' pagan festivals and usurped them. Christianity is the incumbent religion in Western Europe and has been for the past 1000+ years ( I'm a bit shaky on that statement but I'm sure it is sort of right) - hence...
Back