• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

UFO over Manchester - right now!

Anyone in South east Manchester might want to look up - there is a large classic UFO circling over Hyde Road (Gorton/Ardwick area). It's been there since at least 7pm (when my other half first noticed it) and is still there... I can't really judge the size as I don't know how far away it...
  2. M

The Mystery Of The Mary Celeste

I didn't see it so really can only comment on the blurb from Channel 5's website: Assuming this is the same theory mentioned in an earlier documentary (can't remember when or where, sorry), the Captain and crew had never had a cargo of alcohol before (and presumably didn't know anyone who...
  3. M

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

The good Doctor lost his hand ;) I quite liked the first two episodes, despite my partner pointing out the various parts of Cardiff where it was filmed and the references to other films and books and (Men in Black, Douglas Adams, etc). The one thing that irked me slightly was that it was...
  4. M

Did Dinosaurs Survive Until The Recent Past?

Depends what you mean by dinosaurs and recent past... I'm thinkng huge great T-Rex type things harrassing pre-historic man (and am honestly not thinking about bimbos in skmpy fur bikinis being saved by caveman with big clubs and/or swords). It's possible that T-Rex et al survived until...
  5. M

How many American Muslims?

Indeed, as do many Jews, Christians, etc. I suppose the sub-text of worrying how many Muslims there are is whether "they" pose a threat to "our" cosy way of life? Jane.
  6. M

Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

admit it... how many of you searched for the infamous face? :D Jane.
  7. M

The Deer in the Boot

I'm intrigued by the idea of the animal being too shocked to eat - do you mean bones broken and therefore hard to butcher properly or is the meat somehow spoiled because of the cause of death? Now for a true "It Happened to Me!" tale that happened back in the (in)famous hot summer of '76 when...
  8. M

"It's so unfair...!" (Teenage angst)

Tsk, kids today have no respect :roll: :lol: Jane.
  9. M

Erection notices ending up in the spam trap?

The earliest reference I can find on the board is by ramonmercado... perhaps the computer said no to James' post :D This is a story that suggests not so much urban legend as bad solicitor and/or client clutching at straws... did the telephone and the post office also filter out naughty words...
  10. M

"It's so unfair...!" (Teenage angst)

I'd be interested to hear if Dr Blakemore actually said this or whether the reporters inferred it from the few few minutes they spent scanning the abstract of the lecture? In any case, isn't there a slight difference to being a bit surly and self-centered, or even horrifying the old'uns by...
  11. M

bunnyman

Here's a source for what I guess is the same (not so local) legend: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/br ... /bunny.htm btw, I misread bridge for bride as well :oops: :D Jane.
  12. M

Ghost Cars / Road Vehicles: Sightings; Videos; Etc. (Not IHTM)

I can't find anything more either, but then there's not much information to go on. The video doesn't seem quite so baffling without the soundtrack - perhaps the car simply went around the fence, or (less likely), the fence wasn't fixed at the bottom and it flipped up and back down as the car...
  13. M

It's not libel, allegedly

I'm not sure what the legal situation is elsewhere, but as far I'm aware, libel (publishing untrue allegations) and slander (verbal allegations) are, as escargot pointed out, not criminal offences in the UK. The crux in both cases is that the gossipper must be aware that the allegation is...
  14. M

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

Can you still get cold cream? Or has it been replaced with new ones at 50 times the price but with added aqua and some meaningless scientific-but-natural compound? I just ask because my Mum used cold cream during the winter and I always wondered why she didn't have hot cream for the summer...
  15. M

Vintage Psychedelic Experimentation With Anaesthesia / Anaesthetics

Nah, more of a ether-induced belch :D Thanks both for clearing it up. Jane.
  16. M

Vintage Psychedelic Experimentation With Anaesthesia / Anaesthetics

The wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether Immiscibility is a new word to me and my dictionary... any clues? Jane.
  17. M

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

Haa.... until a nasty mod got in the way and merged the threads! :twisted: Jane.
  18. M

Britain: Police State?

Surely thumbprints can only be an aid to identity if your print is already on record? What if the person hiring the car had already stolen your identity? :?: Does anyone know anyone who has been a victim of this heinous crime? Did it cause any long-term problems? If I was conspiricy-minded...
  19. M

Steorn & Claims of Free Energy

Eric Laithwaite: the man who did not amuse the Royal Society http://www.alternativescience.com/eric-laithwaite.htm Hopefully the new device won't be dismissed out of hand. Jane.
  20. M

Steorn & Claims of Free Energy

I agree. It's possible - although perhaps unlikely - that even the First Law has a "get out of jail free" clause and if we don't test for the unlikely then we will never find it. I would imagine that a lot of physicists will gladly give up their own time, and a lot of companies will consider...
  21. M

Ancient Depictions (Petroglyphs, etc.) Of Astronomical Events

Astrology and Astronomy both start with "A" and concern the heavens but that's the only thing they have in common :wink: To be fair, it seems that Barentine is only saying that whoever carved the rock may have been depicting the supernova - which would have been a hard thing to miss even...
  22. M

The London Stone

I must admit my ignorance here... never heard of the thing, despite once having worked a stone's throw (sorry) away. More information for the equally perplexed: The Modern Antiquarian Jane.
  23. M

The CIA/UFO Files

Because the evil government says so, therefore it must be false. Oh, you know.... stuff *waves arm vaguely* Thats what THEY want you to believe! Seriously, I think that the majority of UFO reports then and now are indeed misidentifications of classified planes or even natural but...
  24. M

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

I blame most of my childhood beliefs on my older brother, whom I worshipped as the font of all knowledge until I was about 7 and realised that maybe he didn't know everything... North isn't always in front of you; The past wasn't in black and white (that seems to be a common one); There are...
  25. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Reading this thread again* reminds me of the 17-year old who asked me out a few weeks ago... I was flattered, of course, but said he was too young for me and anyway I was already spoken for... When I told him how old I was, he went as white as the proverbial ghost and blurted out "you're...
  26. M

The Victorian Railway Disaster

I've done a bit of digging (pardon the pun), and even the Norwood Historical Society doesn't seem to exist (not in the UK and not on the web anyway). There is however a Norwood Society and they claim in their list of recent achievement to have enabled the: No news of dead victorians though...
  27. M

Razor Blades In Baby Food

More googling has turned up the interesting factoid that about the same time there were concerns that those nasty but un-named chemicals found in glass could allegedly leak into baby food (too many sites to mention, but a search for baby+food+contamination+glass should bring up the main ones -...
  28. M

Interesting article here, often either corporate negligence or scams. No sign of a razor man (or woman) though... possibly busy putting the blades in Hallowe'en apples? Jane.
  29. M

There was a spate of contamination of baby food (or at least a spate of reports... not sure if it actually happened) in the UK in the 1980s/1990s and allegedly that's why the new "pop-up" jar lids were introduced. This was glass shards though as presumably razor blades would be a bit big to get...
  30. M

Whale Spotted In Central London

A somewhat confusing update from the BBC... It's nice to know that Steve the Whale will be safe from trigger-happy tourists as he'll be "euthanised" for his own good if he looks a bit thin :roll: Jane.
  31. M

Whale Spotted In Central London

Um, has the London Aquarium got a big hole in their window and a lower than average food bill? Just asking... Jane.
  32. M

The X-Files

Don't be too quick to dismiss it - for £8 (£4 for the first issue) you get four episodes and a magazine which, while it probably won't be as good as The Unexplained, still has potential. Before anyone asks, no I don't work for them and no I probably won't collect all nine series, but it was...
  33. M

Fortean Headlines

I don't have a link as it appeared in the Oxford Mail several years ago but has stuck in my mind... Tigger Killed By Travelling Bandage In case you're wondering, Tigger was a highly-strung horse who apparently died of fright when a box containing spare leg bandages fell over as he was...
  34. M

Britain: Police State?

This suggestion was raised later (can't remember exactly when - probably Broadcasting House on Sunday morning) and you'll all be glad to know that some people did stand up for her right to free speech. Incidently, IIRC, in the original interview the woman (wish I could remember her name!)...
  35. M

Creepy Sleepwalkers/Talkers

My own tale sounds quite lame now - I don't, AFAIK, walk in my sleep but have been known to shout out bizarre things ("badgers!" apparently being a favourite) and sometimes kick out at my long suffering partner (presumably because of the badgers). As a teenager, my brother would regularly...
  36. M

Galilee Jesusworld Themepark

The Sodom and Gomorrah exhibit will be really popular, and I'm quite looking forward to the Jonah & the Whale water ride, but I'm not sure if the Christians vs Lions show is really suitable for young children. Ahem, sorry, I'm assuming this is a wind-up but if it's real then may the god/ess...
  37. M

Only Watching?

You could replace "EBEs" with "God(s)" and still get no firm answers. The only answer is "we don't know". But that doesn't mean that we can't have fun speculating :D Jane.
  38. M

Derren Brown - "The Heist"

I only caught the last 10 minutes or so of the show so feel free to jump up and down on me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that the contestants (for want of a better word) knew that they were being set up and simply did what was obviously expected of them - apart from the last guy was was...
  39. M

The man that wasnt there

Re: ghost My apologies, Slim. I didn't mean any offence, just a suggestion that your friend may have misinterpreted the time taken for the man to disappear etc due to, erm, other influences :) Jane.
  40. M

Predictions for 2006

Mystic Meg and/or the News of the World will learn first words that of grammar and write article that is comp... compreh.... to what people can understand :D Jane.
  41. M

World Contact Day

I can't find anything on a global world contact day either, but it's possible that a group of people got together in a field one night :D However, SETI started in 1959 so maybe what was it? SETI is still going strong, and is more of an international operation now as as it's no longer run by...
  42. M

Modern Funeral Customs

My dad was buried wearing his favourite pair of Roadrunner socks and old vest (plus the usual suit of course) as Mum was worried that he would get cold. Funerals are for the benefit of the bereaved so when I go (assuming I do of course, I'm still aiming to become the first immortal) then I...
  43. M

Predictions for 2006

And the winner is... :D Jane.
  44. M

Advice on breaking a bad streak?

Good links, emps. I was perhaps a little hasty in saying there's no magical cure. Earlier this year I was quite ill and a friend from this very board worked some sigal (sp?) magic for me. Suffice to say I'm still here despite the doctor's prognosis. Whether this is because of the magic or...
  45. M

Advice on breaking a bad streak?

As others have said, concentrate on the positive. There's no magical cure to life's suckiness, unfortunately. The past year hasn't exactly been a picnic for me either, but on the other hand I have a man who loves me as much as I love him and maybe next year we'll work out a way to live...
  46. M

The man that wasnt there

Sorry, but a man saunters off down a dark country road in the small hours of the morning in search of petrol and meets a man in search of a match who then staggers off into the hedgerow to sleep. The only mystery here is why anyone would think there would be a 24-hour garage in such a remote...
  47. M

Where do you buy yours?

The WHSmiths in Manchester's Piccadilly station still sell it (or at least they did last month... admitedly I haven't checked this week on the fairly reasonable grounds that 100+ miles is a long way to go especially when I subscribe) Incidently the last time I bought a copy there, my better...
  48. M

Earthquake 10.5

Can you actually get a 10.5 on the Richter scale? I thought 10 was the maximum shakiness that the planet could take, unless Spinal Tap or Disaster Area are playing :shock: Jane.
  49. M

Distorted Censored News.

Re: distorted media. Not voting is also taking a political standpoint - I don't vote either (my MP is the leader of the British Conservative Party; the other major parties don't even bother to register) As for finding out what's really going on, well the only sure way is to investigate...
  50. M

Moments of great clarity

The other obvious question is, if these revelations are gone nanoseconds later then why do you remember them? Are you a fan of Douglas Adams? Are you interested in frogs and/or dolphins? Jane.
Back