• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

The Nazca Lines

having been there about 3 weeks ago, and having flown over the Nazca lines myself I can give you a bit of recent info on it. The planes are all pretty new to be honest, newer than you'd get for similar things in the UK, apparently, so I was told, after a few accidents the Peruvian government...
  2. M

Trip to Peru

Hi guys, I'm off to Peru in septmeber, briefly in Lima and then off to Cuzco and the sacred Valley. I will be overflying the Nazca lines, seeing Maccu Picchu and the other larger archaeological sights in that area. I was just wondering what other sites pertaining to fortean interests...
  3. M

Night of the Demon

I recently seen Night of the Demon again after many long years. I remember seeing this late one night about midnight and seeing the scence where it chases him through the trees. It scared the hell out of me! I tried to find out what film it was for years but not knowing who was in it or...
  4. M

Other Realm

Whatever makes you think that? It seems to me that there is an entirely equal split between men and women with regards to spiritualism, materialism and sexual desire. Just wondering what makes you think that women are closer to godlyness?
  5. M

The Toilet Tardis (I'd Leave It an Hour If I Were You...)

I remember one day after school in 5th year of secondary, myself and my friend had this bottle of cider and we wandered down the woods for a crafty drink before dinner time! We settled down sitting on a fallen tree at 4pm and had a sip. Next thing we recall was that it was 5:45pm and we'd only...
  6. M

Britain: Police State?

At the end of the day, the more surveillance over our lives there is, the more power there is to track down serious criminals but also the more power at the fingertips of anybody with the access, should they wish to abuse it (or governmentally sanctioned use it).
  7. M

Britain: Police State?

True, we all do that. On the other hand, they are perfect for slowing drivers down at bad accident spots. I dont mind these anywhere near how much I loathe average speed cameras on quiet straight roads!!
  8. M

Random Chance

I love them as well. I dont generally believe in "fate" as such but sometimes things happen to make me wonder if there is something going on beyond chance at times, I suspect there is (even if turns out to be some sort of socio-psychological human behaviour thing involving the way society...
  9. M

Random Chance

Isn't it astonishing how often events of random chance and timing seem to occur. I'm sure that we all have had random meetings and whatnot before and heard stories of extreme cooincidence. I suppose it's not incredibly far fetched when you consider how often they don't occur but sometimes the...
  10. M

'Deborah 13: Servant of God’

Well thats any chance she ever had of relating to other non-fanatically christian people down the plug hole then... Evolution is the stupidest thing she ever heard?? Clearly she hasnt read the bible, which is clearly far more far-fetched to the extent of being considered "science" fiction...
  11. M

Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure

It's all very fascinating! I imagine in the end they will be allowed to salvage it, probably with Tony Robinson and Time Team assisting :D I know I just recently got a metal detector to hunt for artifacts...now if only the ground would defrost and it would stop snowing I might get a chance...
  12. M

In Japan, You Are What Your Blood Type Is

Since I have a Japanese friend... She said that it's sort of like horoscopes over here, nobody *really* completely believes it's totally accurate but bits and pieces tends to fit and it's made it's way into popular culture, everybody knows the theory. Much like my starsign's personality type...
  13. M

The Well-Tailored Neanderthal; Or, They Walk Among Us!

Personally I think it's more likely that Homo Sapiens carried bacteria and viruses that we are relatively immune or at least have developed resistances to but which devasted the Neanderthals. Much like the Spaniards bringing smallpox, meases etc to the Incas when they arrived in the Americas...
  14. M

Valkyrie

It would have made a big difference. The July 20th 1944 assasination attemp on Hiter, had it succeeded might have changed a lot of things. By July 20th 1944, the Soviets had pushed back the German assault on Lennigrad and after the harsh winter were rolling them back. D-day had happened and...
  15. M

Archeologist Uncovers Evidence Of Ancient Chemical Warfare

Not surprised in the slightest. Biological warfare has existed since the first sieges after all, thowing rotting animals etc into the defences to cause disease, as have poisoning wells etc. Chemical warfare would have been much the same as soon as somebody noticed the effects fumes had on...
  16. M

UFO Hits Wind Turbine

It is pretty hard to mistake a medium-sized presumably continuous for some time fireworks party for...well...anything else really. The most likely explanation is that the blade just fell off, somehow, and hit the other causing the damage. Things do just fall off from time to time. What I...
  17. M

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

Money. Thats the entire point these films are made. If it's very popular in some medium then those people will then see and hype up the film so the story goes. Plus the original authors generally could use the cash (with exceptions) and have little real control over what happens to their...
  18. M

Druids & Druidry

I think they meant to append "In Britain" to that statement. I am that positive there are both Greek and Roman instruments still in existance, as well as Egyptian ones, not to mention neolithic stone instruments used for drilling holes in skulls (for relieving pressure from cranial...
  19. M

Göbekli Tepe: Temples From 10,000 B.C.

Re: Gobekli Tepe - the oldest megaliths? I am guessing that he means humble in size compared to the massive stone blocks of stone henge. What a fascinating find! The boundaries of proper human civilisation just keep getting pushed back further it seems.
  20. M

Edinburgh Vaults

A lot of it does seem to be based on the whole wiccan temple angle, I was on that tour not too long ago as well. There was only 8 of us or so on the tour though which made it a little scarier I guess. Well I have to say I havent found anything about the huge mass of melted bodies myself on...
  21. M

Uwe Boll's Thread Of Eternal Shame

Good point. But at least other films have a coherent and consistent plot. Resident Evil might not be amazing but at least it's entertaining, hell even Wing Commander has a better plot that one of his films. I'm watching Dungeon Siege: In the Name of the King at the moment (so I'm not...
  22. M

Do aliens cast reflections?

Err, is there any particular reason that you think they wouldnt if you did actually see one? (Being as seeing them means light bounces off them into your eye, which would mean they also appear in mirrors via the same process)
  23. M

Uwe Boll's Thread Of Eternal Shame

On the other hand he's buying up the rights to a whole slew of games, completely changing them so they are almost unrecognizable other than by the name and stopping other people who might want to *gawd-forbid* make a decent movie out of a much loved game! He dosnt care about the subject...
  24. M

Graveyards / Cemeteries

How often to people actually die in graveyards though? I'd imagine a ghost would be liklier to inhabit the place of death rather than where the physical remains are eventually buried.
  25. M

Ghosts: Real Or Just Our Imagination?

Elan4 - I think what you have there is what has become called the "Stone Tape Theory" (after the film of the same name, which i rather enjoyed) where stonework acts like a video tape and records images/energy which under the right circumstances, em fields, temperature etc can occasionally replay...
  26. M

Creation Versus Evolution

Not of their own, no :wink:
  27. M

OH! oh! oh! Live action AKIRA

Sadly it certainly seems to be having a bad effect on the industry :(
  28. M

I categorically state it is SO! Look at the credits for many japanese animes you will see many korean names because the Japanese studios farm out some of the animation for lots of shows to korean studios. Because it is cheaper. In 2005 - "Two-thirds of the top Japanese animation studios...
  29. M

Actually a lot of manga and anime are made in korea. It's cheaper to get the staff apparently.
  30. M

Practicing Magic - HELP ME PLEASE!

Good luck with that one. Any ancient ascended masters would be keeping quiet. Basically, if it was that easy and that easily available then everybody would do it and have it work. It's probably true, theres a lot of invention and needless chanty-wand-waving out there. Ceremony, robes etc...
  31. M

Can I just say: "Produced by Leonardo Di Caprio" "Set in new Manhattan financed by Japanese money" It. Must. Be. Stopped. It will be truely awful.
  32. M

Repatriation Of Relics & Antiquities: Should They Be Returned?

Some things can absolutely stand on their own no matter where they are. Then you have things like a century old landscape painting next to a window which looks out on the actual landscape painted so long ago, revealing the changes in the land as time marched on. Seeing it there would be a...
  33. M

Repatriation Of Relics & Antiquities: Should They Be Returned?

Replicas, pictures, video etc are all well and good but at the end of the day I want to be looking at something I know was created hundreds, thousands or millions of years old and wonder a the history behind it, think of hands that touched them etc and generally marvel at the antiquity and...
  34. M

What Happened?

It's a bit of a sweeping statement, and untrue at that, at least in the UK. A lot of old pagan myths, legends and history were in fact written down by various monks and priests in Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England. It is thanks to them that we have the remnants of old Celtic belief and...
  35. M

Good Science Fiction By Non Sci-Fi Writers

Rynner - Ah but where lies the point between what is science fiction and what could be classed as a drama or thriller? No matter which way you look at it science fiction is a fantasy about the (possible) future, just some are more possible and real-life than others I guess. Hard sci-fi is...
  36. M

Good Science Fiction By Non Sci-Fi Writers

Well Science Fiction is historically and accurately just a subset of Fantasy so why would it not all be lumped together? Fantasy and Science fiction are pretty much inescapably intertwined as it's basically just a technological fantasy novel. Sadly my local library also goes for the mass...
  37. M

Strange Deaths

Touche!
  38. M

Fortean Anime

Big Robots? Try Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann. It's the only anime I have ever seen where giant robots end up throwing entire galaxies at each other! Other anime recommendations from me(not all fortean though) Claymore, Darker Than Black, Death Note, Dragonaut the Resonance, Shakugan no...
  39. M

Strange Deaths

People get injured in re-enactments all the time though useually it's only bruises and things. I have a friend that has a 1inch scar on his face from a sword to the helmet and he's also been injured by a lance hitting his chest.
  40. M

Explanation for Bigfoot, Nessie, etc.?

Even a small colony would leave traces, and there would need to be a fair few of them to create a sustainable breeding colony. The only options I can see would be living in deep, deep forest where left overs from hunting/dead would tend to be scavanged, and at that it's dubious as there are...
  41. M

Nicholas Fisk

And here I thought I was one of the only people who ever remembered Starstormers! Such an excellent series I read when I was 10 I think and cried when there was no more! As far as I remember the kids were miserable in a crappy boarding school on Earth while their parents were off in space...
  42. M

Pict Religion?

Well Orkney, western isles (Kingom of the isles) and various other places in Scotland were very much influenced by Nordic incomers before christianity got it's grip there. Also the Gaels/Celts that settled here coming over from Ireland etc seemed to have absorbed or displaced any native pictish...
  43. M

Pict Religion?

Is that supposed to be some sort of spelling correction or a statement? :wink:
  44. M

Pict Religion?

Well there really is little in the way of cultural remnant for the picts. Doubtless some survives as folklore and mythology...but we have no way of knowing what came down from the picts and which from the celts/others. The closest you can get are via archaology and artifacts such as Sueno's...
  45. M

Vampires

For a lot of historians, anthropologists, archaeologists the answer is apparently that they were all primitive and inherintly stupidly superstitious. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. If they don't know why our ancestors did something it inevitably ends up as being because of religion, magic...
  46. M

I Really Worry Sometimes (Some Peoples' Excessive Credulity)

New information comes to light all the time. A few decades ago people would laugh in your face if you said vikings landed in America first...not so much laughter now eh? I think the speculation would take on a different light if archaeological sites came to light revealing the presence of a...
  47. M

Vampires

Sadly the origins of tombstones are one of those things whose original use is permenantly lost in antiquity. Was it to stop scavengers, marking the burial site, a sign of respect, or for stopping the dead from returning? I doubt we will ever really know, probably it was a mix of several...
  48. M

I Really Worry Sometimes (Some Peoples' Excessive Credulity)

Oh purleeeaaseee. Complete numpties with no basis for their theories get shot down in flames around these parts. Always have. If there is a remote possibilty..sure..thats what we are all here for after all. "believers" with nothing to back it up cannot hold much of a conversation or debate...
  49. M

Vampires

*shrugs* the same can happen over anything, on the flip side I have watched deep friendships grow over said games. I take it people were getting too attached to their fictional characters? D&D, Vampire: The Masquerade, MMORPG's like World of Warcraft...it's all the same when you can't separate...
  50. M

Vampires

The thing with these games, both of which I have played quite a lot, is that they enable people with like minds to group together and engage in a shared fantasy world. They could just as easily have had a film club and run a series of vampire films and start the same way but with role playing...
Back