• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Anyone Know What This Is For?

Castings for vomited stuff, mutes for droppings.
  2. D

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

My god, those magpies are gigantic!
  3. D

Disease Mongering

What you normally see portrayed in US media are people who talk about being in therapy, i.e. they are paying privately to have a course of sessions with a psychoanalyst, dealing with problems (genuine or perceived) that are psychological rather than physical in nature. These psychoanalysts may...
  4. D

Strange Deaths

So, how exactly did you come to earn that CSI badge? :pipe:
  5. D

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

Still doesn't explain why the guard was dressed as a Victorian woman with his hair in a bun. Terrifying.
  6. D

These Roads Lead... Where?

I believe that, although a Hebrew word used a few times throughout the Bible in reference to other people is often translated as Lucifer, the references to the fallen angel never mention that name.
  7. D

Witchcraft

Her name was Laura Arroyo: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-07-20/local/me-2014_1_chula-vista http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,157604,00.html
  8. D

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe_Marketing_Board
  9. D

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

No, but tripe will.
  10. D

Disease Mongering

That depends. Maybe, and maybe not. As a very general layman's overview: Psychoanalysts/psychotherapists get you to talk about your life, dreams etc. to try and get to the root of past events or traumas that may be causing your particular issues (e.g. depression, anxiety). They may or may not...
  11. D

Strange Deaths

The resort appears to be a mix of self-catering apartments and bungalows, not a hotel. As such, cleaners probably only go in at the end of somebody's rental period before the next lot arrive.
  12. D

Disease Mongering

That's wrong I'm afraid. You're describing psychoanalysis, not psychiatry. Even among psychiatrists, Freudian/Jungian psychoanalysis isn't always looked upon favourably or regarded as a valid science.
  13. D

Horror Films

Indeed. 1943's Son of Dracula https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Dracula_(1943_film) Kim Newman's domain name, Johnny Alucard, is a character from the groovy Dracula A.D. 1972.
  14. D

Horror Films

By snipping its head off with scissors?
  15. D

Worst Movie EVER?

Move over, there's a new player in town... I Saw ‘Gotti’ So You Don’t Have To https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/6/19/17477416/gotti-john-travolta-kevin-connolly-review
  16. D

Animal Chimeras / Chimaeras

Is she related to Frank Gorshin?
  17. D

Billy Corgan's Shapeshifter

That's the guy that played Chandler, right?
  18. D

Toilet Talk

There's no piss like home. There's no piss like home...
  19. D

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

And to think that some folk get riled up at same sex couples apparently not respecting the "sanctity of marriage"...
  20. D

Spiritual Customer

Are you promulgating the notion of a "safe space"? I may have to report this to the PC Gone Mad thread. ;)
  21. D

Worst Movie EVER?

Dolemite was a character of stand-up comedian (turned actor) Rudy Ray Moore, so I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be serious. :cool2:
  22. D

Billy Corgan's Shapeshifter

Or possibly Courtney Cox. Hard to tell.
  23. D

Star Wars

He only had a few lines, and they were all delivered in that same sing-songy voice. Non-entity at best. (Of course, if this was a genuine Star wars fan board, such sentiment would be enough to have me taken out back and shot.)
  24. D

Star Wars

Now, I love Star Wars as much as the next person, but every character is badly written.
  25. D

Hearing Your Name Called

Did it sound like this? ;)
  26. D

Hearing Your Name Called

You also have to bear in mind, we live in a world where almost every conceivable sound in the world has been turned into a ringtone.
  27. D

Hearing Your Name Called

Paracusia, which can be either misinterpreting actual noises (like an auditory pareidolia), or hearing a noise without any stimulus at all.
  28. D

Missile Launch? Lens Flare? Mysterious Object Spotted Over Whidbey Island

That's got a missile at both ends. WTF IS GOING ON!!! :freak:
  29. D

Concerning This Forum...

Even for sockpuppetry? :D
  30. D

Concerning This Forum...

I guess the 'prophetofjustice' username just wasn't working for them (when they posted this stuff before in the aptly named Spot the Loonie thread http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/spot-the-loonie.63877/#post-1759367)
  31. D

Listen to them, the children of the car park. What music they make.
  32. D

Disease Mongering

I wasn't referring to your comments directly. Of course there are arrogant psychiatrists, as there are arrogant people in all professions and all walks of life. I was referring more to those who were questioning psychiatrists value as physicians.
  33. D

I'll never sleep agai....zzzzzzzz....
  34. D

Why Haven't Aliens Contacted Us Yet? (Fermi Paradox)

The universe could be teeming with life that might never come across us. As Adams said, space is big. Really big.
  35. D

Disease Mongering

He would have had some dealings in that area, yes. His only real 'claim to fame' is being brought in to assess Speer and Hess in Spandau prison (and gets a very brief mention in Speer's diaries).
  36. D

Disease Mongering

He's in his nineties now, so no.
  37. D

Holocaust Denial

The 2001 film, Conspiracy, based on the Wannsee Conference where the mechanics of the Final Solution were thrashed out among top-level Nazis, is a pretty good depiction of the full horror of the matter-of-fact industrialisation of the Holocaust .
  38. D

Moon Landing: Hoaxed?

I dare say the astrobiologists at NASA know a bit more about that subject than anyone here. The Galileo probe indicated there was likely a subsurface ocean on Europa. This may harbour microbial life. You may regard discovering extraterrestrial life as a waste of money, others do not.
  39. D

Disease Mongering

My father's a psychiatrist. Thank you all for your fascinating and well-informed contributions, based on years of medical training I'm sure.
  40. D

Wankathon

Easy cum, easy go.
  41. D

Strange Crimes

I don't know...she's obviously skilled at wielding a blade.
  42. D

The Abolition Of Cash

Those of us who do use electronic methods of payment have exactly the same access to cash as everyone else, so I fail to see where the advantage is.
  43. D

Dreams That Predict The Future

O-rings, said the resident pedant.
  44. D

Facial Recognition & Super Recognisers / Recognizers

Except on TV where she is immortal.
  45. D

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

And those that study their mysteries, like Golden Graham Hancock.
  46. D

Fraudulent Psychics & Mediums

Perhaps Baldwin is yet to arrive. :pipe:
  47. D

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

One day, someone will unlock the mystic secrets of the breakfast biscuits of the ancients.
  48. D

Man With Missing Time Now Has Missing Finger

That's a pretty severe case of 'fireside tartan'.
  49. D

Horror Films

Well, one Welsh Bafta.
Back