• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. N

The "Horror Film Gene"

Having skimmed through some of these posts, I thought I'd just add my own experience. When I was younger I was very sensitive to the gore in films, and indeed the plight of characters. It made me as uncomfortable seeing those characters in fictional pain as it did to see a person in real...
  2. N

Misperceptions

I mispent some of my youth, like many heavy metal/goth enthusiast types, hanging out in cemeteries with friends. One particularly spooky full-moon-lit night, when everyone already seemed on edge, one friend freaked because she saw a light containing a running human figure pass in front of a...
  3. N

Milgram Experiment

When I first read about the experiment, my first thought was whether I would continue to shock the leaner had I not heard of this experiment before. I don't think 'free will' is in any danger from the conclusions of the experiment. But I have often thought we are unwilling to examine honestly...
Back