• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Maviself

Weird Psychological Thing Re: Big/Small

I thought I’d posted my childhood experience of this but apparently not.... I used to have 2 recurring dreams. One where I was standing at the end of a long narrow field with a horse in it, at the other end. The weirdness was that the perspective was reversed so the end I was standing was tiny...
  2. Maviself

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Phew! I appear to have made it after a bit of email address oddity :confused: Thanks to everyone involved :friends: It looks great, albeit in that strange, familiar but yet slightly unfamiliar way!
  3. Maviself

Ghosts Of Pets

After my Labrador, also called Honey had to be put to sleep at the age of 13, I heard her bark and had a corner of the eye glimpse.
  4. Maviself

You Look Just Like...

A neighbour used to insist that I looked like “a young Leslie Caron” - I wish, she was blimmin gorgeous :( I’ve also had Kirsty Alsop o_O
  5. Maviself

Phantom Aeroplane Spotted Over Derbyshire

Hmmmmm, sounds to me like the noise of heavy construction reverberating around those high rise blocks. I don't hear aircraft or gunfire/bombing at all.
  6. Maviself

Deceptive Perspective

It looks like it's set up for a wedding - what a beautiful place to have your nuptials! All the inmates could cheer from the balconies when they get to the "I now pronounce you" bit :cheer:
  7. Maviself

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)

I agree, thank you! You have carried out a serious amount of investigation here and it is absolutely fascinating.
  8. Maviself

A Sense Of Belonging... Somewhere Else

And again, I understand completely where you're coming from there - this once sleepy corner of the south east is rapidly becoming a concrete jungle remarkable only for the amount of time you spend sitting in traffic jams. To travel practically anywhere is to endure the fresh hell that is the...
  9. Maviself

A Sense Of Belonging... Somewhere Else

I understand this completely, I also have no desire to travel the world and often feel like I'm about the only person I know who's never been to the USA. I am more than happy to spend my holidays in my home town! I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that when my Dad researched our...
  10. Maviself

Isolation/Sensory Deprivation Tanks

Channel 5 had a programme a few weeks back called "In solitary". Several people tried to spend week in a shipping container (separately of course!) with varying degrees of success. It was a fascinating programme, I throughly recommend a watch if it's available. I won't spoil it but it certainly...
  11. Maviself

The Amber Room

I've always thought that! If nothing comes of it you just serve to make yourself look silly. I presume they've run out of money and are after some sponsorship.
  12. Maviself

Secret World Of Children's Chants

In days of old when Knights were bold, And women weren't invented, The men drilled holes in telegraph poles, And had to be contented. And my Dad's version of "Mary": Mary had a little lamb, She also had a bear, I've often seen her little lamb, But I've never seen her bare.
  13. Maviself

Our "Here comes the bride" version went: Here comes the bride Big fat and wide Couldn't get in the front door So had to go in the side.
  14. Maviself

The Synaesthesia Thread

Because I'm "in the industry" this is basically a tool I've developed to help me with my day to day job, a function of becoming more attuned to my sense of smell. So I would not claim to have any special talents. You are right in saying there is more interest around this subject - I would be...
  15. Maviself

The Synaesthesia Thread

I don't think you're losing your mind! I think you are becoming more attuned to your sense of smell - when you consider that finished fragrances can contain many (sometimes >100) individual ingredients, it is possible that you have tuned in to one of them and your brain is linking it to another...
  16. Maviself

Weird Weather

Glad to hear that your sister is safe, I simply can't imagine how one would muster the energy to rebuild time & time again but I suppose if that is your only option you hunker down & get on with it.
  17. Maviself

A lot of the ones we used to sing have already been mentioned but we also had: To the tune of "Seasons in the the Sun"....... We had joy, we had fun, Flicking bogeys at the sun, But the sun was too hot, And the bogeys turned to snot. And another snot related one: There was a little bunny...
  18. Maviself

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I call that the "safety in numbers effect". I always tend to park at the back of car parks where it is empty, but when I come back to my car, you can bet your life there will be someone parked next to me. Supermarkets - if you stop your trolley somewhere, instantly everyone will want to look at...
  19. Maviself

UK National Lottery

The in-laws of a friend of mine won a substantial amount, she went with them to Camelot to pick up the cheque. Apparently it is an unmarked business unit on the outskirts of some unprepossessing town. She wouldn't say how much and I wouldn't ask but I suspect it to be a couple of million. Sadly...
  20. Maviself

Strangeness In Vehicles: Things Experienced While Driving (IHTM)

Last Sunday we were driving through roadworks on the M1 and I wondered why there was a man with no vehicle standing at the side of the hard shoulder looking towards the traffic. It was only when we got directly next to him I realised it was an emergency phone booth wrapped in a tarpaulin. When...
  21. Maviself

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Just woken up from a very vivid and disturbing dream: A whole bunch of people from work had gone in pairs on some kind of outing which involve one of the pairs doing a gymnastics/ parkour exam on "set pieces" such as bridges and dams. I was driving and my colleague was doing the jumping. One...
  22. Maviself

Hag Stones

Like Fluttermoth, I've also had these. My optician said they were ocular migraines (the google images are spot on for what I see). They normally start in the centre of my vision and gradually radiate outwards, sometimes I get a headache over top of the eye. I have to admit the first couple of...
  23. Maviself

People Who Feel Wrong

That must be one heck of a vibe if other staff and customers are feeling it too :eek: There is a guy at work who I just cannot be doing with! I get a seriously bad feeling about him due to comments he's made and things he's done but everyone else seems to brush it off by saying he's "a bit...
  24. Maviself

Hag Stones

I too keep them around the house (and one on my desk at work - you can't be too careful!) Also known as Odin stones in some parts, you are supposed to be able to see the fairy world through the hole. According to some, you aren't supposed to actively look for them but if you find one you can...
  25. Maviself

Dreams of ghosts and demons yet to be?

My sympathies go out to you, Gattino. May your brother rest in peace X
  26. Maviself

Moqui Balls & Marbles

Thanks for posting this, Swifty. I am very interested in the folklore that is attached to natural geological formations; Odin/hag stones, fairy bread, devil's toenails etc, but I hadn't heard of Moqui Marbles before. Another example for the collection I think :)
  27. Maviself

Consumerism

Is it just me or is it not slightly ironic that a book about the power of supermarkets is available from Amazon?
  28. Maviself

Toilet Talk

In a spooky coincidence we were talking about a very similar incident yesterday at work. A friend of a couple of my colleagues had the same thing happen on a flight back from holiday. Trouble was, the plane was taking off and the stewards wouldn't let her leave her seat, so she had no option...
  29. Maviself

Magpies

It's not an aggressive pecking, more trying to pull it down and at one point it appears to try and feed the upside down bird. I'm still going with concern!
  30. Maviself

The Geography Of Urban Legends

I've heard the old "penguin in the rucksack" about practically every zoo in the UK over a period spanning at least 20 years. Told in very a serious manner every time. Some people actually get quite aggressive when you mention that it's an urban legend, so the last time it happened I couldn't be...
  31. Maviself

Magpies

:clap:That's utterly amazing, the way the other magpie shows concern for the upside down bird is touching. Thanks for posting :)
  32. Maviself

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

:eek: Where's that unlike button when you need it!
  33. Maviself

Who took my picture?

Me too! Any railway tracks nearby? The power flashes that trains cause can be pretty bright....
  34. Maviself

Coincidences

My Nan was such a quiet, calm, gentle little lady, nothing ruffled or phased her, she'd lived through two world wars after all. If we really surprised her she would just say "oh lor" and go back to whatever she was doing. When she was 98, she broke her hip falling out of bed, and was in...
  35. Maviself

Many unidentifiable artifacts found in Virginia

I agree, can't even say it's pareidolia because I simply don't see any of the images you suggest. Have you considered coprolite (fossilised poo)? Looks more like that than anything else!
  36. Maviself

Hearing Voices After EVP Experiments

Seconded and you have my sympathies for all you've been through. i don't know if you subscribe to any particular religion, but if you do, would a leader of your faith be able to offer any help? Alternatively talking to a professional counsellor may be able to help you strengthen your mind...
  37. Maviself

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

On Oct 25th 2012 - I posted this in the coincidences thread ...... "In a further coincidence, of all the '70's DJ's, Tony Blackburn was the one I always disliked the most, and yet I think he is about the only one whose reputation has remained intact" Innocent until proven guilty of course but :huh:
  38. Maviself

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Having been ill with flu this week, I was musing that maybe my delirious dreams hadn't been helped by watching reruns of "The Mighty Boosh" given its trippy nature...... Turn on the TV and the answer to the next question on Pointless was (of course) "The Mighty Boosh". Neat! :)
  39. Maviself

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

:eek: I know that several decades have passed since the 70's and 80's, but it's not that long ago. Surely someone at the time would have thought "hold on, maybe this isn't the best idea we've ever had"?
  40. Maviself

Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)

As I haven't yet read the book, I can't say if my next "wondering" is addressed by the author so apologies if it is! As far as I can ascertain, Theodore Von Karman first described the vortex street in a book published in 1954, although others had mused on its existence as early as the turn of...
  41. Maviself

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

Oh but you're wrong - there's orbs and everything ;) http://www.dover-kent.com/Black-Horse-Densole.html Sorry, we seem to have turned "A nightmare of eternal descent" into a tourist information leaflet of Folkestone, I promise to stop now. :oops:
  42. Maviself

Are Ghosts Scared, Too?

D'oh! Yes of course! Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed reading that again :)
  43. Maviself

Are Ghosts Scared, Too?

I think the short story you're remembering is The Time Machine by Ray Bradbury? The traveller accidentally kills a butterfly when he goes on an organised dinosaur hunting trip. We read it at school and I've always remembered it, even after all these years. :(
  44. Maviself

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

'Tis true - with a good pair of binoculars you can tell the time on the clock tower in the town square in Calais. Folkestone is a crappy seaside town, but it's MY crappy seaside town and I love it. I've not actually heard of that many Fortean happenings in the town. There is the old home of H G...
  45. Maviself

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

The Dyatlov Pass Incident, there's something about that one that really gets under my skin!?
  46. Maviself

Classic Archive Merged: Pani(ic) In The Woods

Mr T-H, Do you remember what happened or was said in the car during the journey down the track? I mean, were the other occupants silent, or commenting in any way? I think if I were in that situation it would be hard to keep quiet and not urge the driver to get a shimmy on! Were you a passenger...
  47. Maviself

Do Forteans Share A Myers-Briggs 'Type'?

INFJ for me, we also did it at work.
  48. Maviself

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Test number 1 for potential student placements at work, is the ability to travel to the correct Ashford. A surprising number don't manage it :eek:
  49. Maviself

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Or maybe she's like me and falls asleep with her hand on the iPad, my Pinterest board gets a bit odd sometimes! Edit: Other tablets are available ;)
Back