• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. O

Where I'm Staying for UnCon

Hi, at previous uncons I've organised a group booking at a hostel for people from the message board but as I have left things a bit late to do that this time and don't seem to make it here as often as I'd like these days I thought rather than that I'd give details on where I'm staying instead...
  2. O

Jonathan Downes Texas expedition

If you follow the Centre for Fortean Zoology's blog you'll have heard that our esteemed director, Jonathan Downes is currently in Texas with his wife Corinna investigating the blue hairless dogs there that the media insist on calling 'Chupacabras' despite them being nothing to do with goat...
  3. O

UnCon 2008 - The Official Suggestions Thread

Suggestions speakers for the next UNCON OK, it's not cast in stone yet that there is an uncon next year (2008) but how about we give some suggestions for speakers we'd like to see. If the Powers that be see this thread then it could, hopefully, provide some inspiration. I'd like to see the...
  4. O

News from the CFZ Guyana expedition

The Centre for fortean zoology are in Guyana at the moment searching for giant anacondas, the Didi and the water tiger and also evidence and new witness reports of those and any other cryptids and new species there. On the expedition team are Richard Freeman, Dr Chris Clarke, John Hare, Lisa...
  5. O

Weird Weekend 2007 16-19th August

What with the sad news about uncon the Weird Weekend (Thursday the 16th- Sunday the 19th of August) is now the UK's largest Fortean event. For anyone who doesn't know the Weird Weekend is the annual event organised by the Centre for Fortean Zoology and has been second only to Uncon in terms...
  6. O

The CFZ Gambia mythical dragon expedition 2006

Here's the press release for this summers CFZ expedition... The intrepid explorers are: Richard Freeman, Chris Moiser, Dr Chris Clark, Oll Lewis, Liza Dowley and Suzi Marsh.
  7. O

Mediums miss the mark by 113 miles in dog search

Ohh, I'm getting a message from the other side... he says his name is Fido, no? ooh the spirits are coming though faintly. Not Fido then, err my red indian spirit guide Speaking Bull, tells me the dogs name is Rover and he's err, far far away in another country... What? how is he telling me this...
  8. O

Life on Mars (the other BBC time travel drama)

I've noticed this being trailed on the BBC for a week or 2, It's about a grumpy modern day detective who wakes up in the seventies one day (as you do). Que humorus misunderstandings related to the clash of cultures and seveties style cop drama with a twist. It might be great or it might be...
  9. O

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Source Link is dead and posted URL was truncated into a form that can't be used to search for an archived version.
  10. O

The Penarth Pterodactyl?

This is an interesting case, I suspect it could be zooform phenomina.
  11. O

Bring Back The Hierophant: Online Petition

The Hierophant has been missing presumed ascended from the pages of FT for too long, it's time to take action. :x In view of this I've created an online petition, that should, hopefully, encourage the powers that be at FT to bring him back if we get enough people signing it, or at least a...
  12. O

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

Doctor Who's Captain Jack is to get his own 13 part series called Torchwood. Aparently it's all set in Cardiff, writain primerally by Russel and aimed at adults. I would suspect, as it dosen't cross over with any Doctor Who storylines it's set before he met the doctor and Rose, while he...
  13. O

Chupacabra Skull Claim

Looking at the skull, my instincts say fake. The teeth are certainly not 'in situ'. Either the skull is just a model or a real one of a canine with some teeth stuck in or a real one with a few teeth stuck in at a hap hazard angle to make it look more fearsome and unusual, but it's...
  14. O

Commonwealth center to be demolished?

From a report on newsnight (not on bbc's website otherwise I'd give a link) The ninnies that own the comenwealth centre, former home of the uncon, want to demolish it rather than restore it or tar it's roof. The reason they give is that it will somehow help them to teach african children to...
  15. O

Is FT's cover too glossy?

I think FT's cover is far too glossy, is it made with teflon or something? It's nice to have a glossey cover but when you have serious problems trying to stack multiple copies on top of each other then it gets quite tiresome trying to store it in piles. It's fine to have a glossy cover...
  16. O

Food Scares: Killer Corned Beef, Carcinogenic Crisps, Etc.

Killer corned beaf, carcinagen crisps and other food scare s is anyone aware of thease food scares ever being substantiated, or has anyone got any to add? Years after the fawklands war in the late 80's my familly started boycotting Argentinian corned beaf as it was 'common knolage' that...
  17. O

OPEC and the fall of Bush

The thought occours that OPEC are causing an increse in the demand and therefore prices for oil in order to oust Bush jr from office. Votes in America (and also the uk to a lesser extent, as we are used to being shafted for petrol) are often so closely tied to petrol prices that a high price...
  18. O

Medicinal Use Of Chili Peppers / Chili Powder

I thought people might be interested to read of this dubious folk cure from Swaziland. http://www.times.co.sz/031.html All text copywrite 'the times of Swaziland' (11/08/2004) the Times of swaziland has a small website with not much archiving of stories, if at all, which is why I've printed...
  19. O

Ghost Story Clichés

Often when someone relates a tale of a ghost they or an aquantance may have seen their account has one or 2 clichés in it, the number of clichés semes to increase if they have a tv camera on them too... I'm not doubting that ghosts exist (altough I'm not sure they are the spirits of the dead...
  20. O

Ally Mcbeal & The Knee Pit Orgasm (NSFW)

Around 2000 there were several scenes in the popular comedy drama Ally McBeal where by one of the male carators took upon pleasureing a female caractor in public by gently masargeing the pit behind the knee. Fiction and perhaps more than a bit of dramatic licence one would think, but when...
  21. O

13 Girls in 13 Hours

22. O

'You're Never More Than 6ft From A Rat' & Other Dubious Statements

There are loads of stats about that are often trotted out as facts that are rather unlikely to be true. For example "You're never more than 6 feet from a rat", "you only use 1/8 th of your brain" and "you must drink 8 glasses of water a day". It's baffling, I know there are no rats within 6...
  23. O

Godsend (film about cloneing)

Just seen this advertised on Yahoo... It apears to be a film about a couple who, with the help of a scientist, clone their dead son. I'm not to sure but I think from the trailer it might be a scifi thrillery type thing or mild horror, then again I could be wrong, the offical website of the...
  24. O

Nick Brown... government patsy? (tuition fees conspiricy)

Earlyer today Nick Brown, self proclamed leader of the Labour MP's threatening to rebel against the tuition fees plan, today made a masive u-turn on his position to suport the government. This was done on the reanouncement by the education secutry that he would reinstate student grants. This...
  25. O

The Soggy Biscuit Game

OK, you've been warned (see title). In the UK it is widespread 'knolage' that a game called that go's by the names of 'the soggy biscuit game', 'custard cream' or 'rich tea fingers' is a popular passtime in posh English bording schools. the loser of the game suposedly has to eat the biscuit...
  26. O

Back From Extinction

27. O

'Glow In The Dark' Genetically Modified Pet Fish For Sale

This is really a new science typey news story but is qualifys as fortean because of the :wtf: factor.
  28. O

Nefertiti: Burial Site & Mummy Mysteries

(not nessersarily fortean news but as it has links to akhenaten etc it probably gets into this section by the skin of it's teath, if not please move it mods) from Reuters 30/8/03 Link is dead. An alternative publication of the same Reuters story can be accessed at the Wayback Machine...
  29. O

Project Quagga (re-breeding extinct species)

Project Quagga (re-breading extinct species) The Quagga was a strage species of horse, once common in southan Africa that looked a bit like a Barnumesque cut and shut between a horse and a Zebra. The frount half was striped like a zebra and the back half usuly had brownish coulouring and no...
  30. O

the mustachioed villain

Whenever people think of silent movies they tend to think, quite often, of a lady getting kidnapped by a mustach twirling chriminal with a top hat an a good tailor. he proceds to tie said lady (by this point a distressed damsel) to the rail way tracks for some unknown reason, possibly shes...
  31. O

FT getting harder to get hold of

When I went in to my newsagents to get the latest copy recently the nice muslim bloke who runs it said "I'm sorry Oll, but our magazine news paper distributor has stopped distributing it :(" this is a problem as this paticular distributer has used rather nasty tactics in the area that have made...
  32. O

Prophet works miracle / 7 headed pet snake!

prophet works a miracle and has a 7 headed pet snake from the times of Swaziland saturday 14th of june (note: Muti are the 'witch doctors' of the southan african countrys that use human body parts in their rituals) Interesting... although his insistence not to show the jurnolists his...
  33. O

The Tea Thread

Multiple vintage threads about tea have now been consolidated into this single compendium thread. This thread's contents aren't particularly 'Fortean', but they do concern Food & Drink. Doing a title search on 'tea' may or may not lead you to this thread (owing to the short search term)...
  34. O

Hypnotism

Hypnosis- Is it all guff? 6 years ago I went to see a stage hypnotist of some renown. When he asked for voleteers from the audience to be hypnotysed I jumped at the chance, I'd been interested in hypnotysam for years and this would be a perfect chance to test it out to see if all the rumours...
  35. O

Swaziland

If you want a break from the war on iraq when you swich on your telly or read a paper at the moment one is hard to find. :( luckily I found the swaziland times. (swaziland is a small nation in southern africa where interesting things happen) heres one gem from todays edition: the times...
  36. O

Powell's smoking match stick

:imo: If this is powell's smoking gun (tapes that could have come from anywhere, pictures that could be showing anything and links with alquieda so week they probably would not be able to hold the weight of a human hair) then I'm amazed that anyone at all in the international comunity suports...
  37. O

WAAAAAAARRRRR!

O.k. the issue of the rights and wrongs of the war in irac is quite a hot topic at the moment, especially since Shrub and Foofoo seam to have decided to sod democrercy and coman sense because they want their war. Threts are aparently in their twisted little world a better solution than...
  38. O

Blair admits: You're F***ed!

Blair admits 2003 will be a disaster Aparently Blair's "Ha, ha! you're skrewed!" speach was made ealier today when he was on holiday to egypt. I wasn't aware that the aincent egyptions had ever built towers made from ivory:furious:
  39. O

The Centennial Light (100-Year Light Bulb) & Planned Obsolescence

A few years back when Fortean TV graced our screens there was one story on it about a bulb that had given 50 years of constant service and was still putting out... This light bulb is thought to be 100 years old and it is claimed has been in near constant use all that time in this fire dept...
  40. O

"The Great Auk Did It," Your Honour

In 1844 the numbers of surviving great auks (Pengunus impennis ) had dwindled to probably under 10 left extant, it was at this time one of the last great auks final his last sea voyage. Whilst happyly swimming and catching fish the auk got caught up in a rageing storm. The auk only just...
  41. O

Messages From Beyond The War Grave

As part of some part time work experience I was undertakeing recently to pep up my CV in a regimental museum, one of the jobs I was handed to do was ammending a printed out list of men wounded in action, killed in action, died of wounds, killed in battle acidents, drowned, missing, invalided out...
  42. O

Who are "they"

I thought it might be an iteresting idea to see who belives which conspiricy theorys (if indead you belive any at all) so who do you think "they" are... log your vote (and hope "they" are not watching as you do):eek!!!!:
  43. O

whats the final resting place of the holy grail

Ok regardless of weather you belive in it's existance or not, you can't deny that the many suposed last resting places of the grail and the route it took to get there have long been a fertile ground for mithology and conspiricy theory alike. Have you heard a story about the gails history that...
  44. O

what was the first copy of ft u got ever

I realised the other day that I have been reading FT for a generation. I started in about 1994 with the issue which had the dinosaur on the cover, just after it went monthly. It had an interesting article about a film crew who when searching for a dinosaur in the congo (named something like...
Back