• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. A

FT264

Thanks Postie! Viking Serpents, Early crop circles, a lovely photo of Donovan as the Pied Piper of Hamelin and I'm just about to dip into my favourite column Classical Corner - hats-off to Mr Barry Baldwin :D
  2. A

Hearing Explosions

Last night while out on patrol (I'm a PCSO), my colleague and I heard a loud but distant explosion. We waited for a while, fully expecting our radios to burst into life with reports of devastation and orders to make our way to the location... but nothing happened. As an ex-serviceman, I'm very...
  3. A

Definitive FT Article Index?

Is there a current and definitive list of Articles that have appeared in Fortean Times? Anyone publishing a searchable on-line index would be providing a great service to our community.
  4. A

FT241

Woo Hoo! It arrived this morning... Popobawa - Zanzibar's Bat-Winged Terror and a super photo of a bat-winged cat to boot!
  5. A

Wanted - Fortean Studies 4 and 5

I've been busting a blood vessel for years trying to obtain Fortean Studies 4 and 5. Does anyone have a copy of either of these worthy books for sale? Please PM me with the good news (I'll do anything legal, no matter how humiliating to complete my library).
  6. A

Conspiracism

We all love conspiracy theories. What motivates us to subscribe to a particular theory?
  7. A

Fortmart - A Missed Opportunity?

Surely more revenue could be generated by expanding the selection of goods available through Fortmart. I can't help noticing that many of the freebies on offer to new subscribers are not available for purchase by Joe Public (2007 calendar etc). What do you think? Pens, hats, posters and wall...
  8. A

FT212

WooHoo! It's arrived 8)
  9. A

Shakespeare's Hidden Treasure

A fellow "northamptoner" told me a fascinating story earlier this week. I'll try to do some local research, but I would appreciate any help from fellow Forteans. The bare bones of the story are as follows: William Shakespeare had a daughter named Susanna (to whom he left the bulk of his...
  10. A

Occasional Papers CD

I notice that the FT banner ad is currently offering new subscribers a free "Occasional Papers CD worth £9.99 Absolutely Free!". What about us longtime subscribers, and those who do not subscribe? Will this interesting CD be available to purchase online? It would be a nice gesture to...
  11. A

FT209

WooHoo...it's arrived! A healthy dose of Hierophant-rant, and an unconsciously humorous inclusion that promises "MASSIVE AMOUNTS of success", accompanied by a really cheesy photo of the gentleman making said promise. Anyone who has recently purchased an FT archive CD may be a little...
  12. A

Would You Buy an FT Anthology if it Were Available?

Is there now a market for anthologies of past issues of Fortean Times Magazine? Anthologies were once regularly available. I for one, would love to see their return. How many of my fellow posters would consider buying one or more volumes of a years-worth of FTs bound into one book?
  13. A

Free Magic Mushrooms—In a Garden Near YOU!

A couple of unrelated sources have told me the same story recently.... Apparantly, the bags of bark chippings that one sprinkles on ones garden to restrict weed growth etc, are contaminated with magic mushroom spores. These spores will soon begin to grow, so keep an eye on any local gardens...
  14. A

Bottle of Water Stops Cats Crapping

My mum's forever clearing cat poo from her flower bed. On the advice of her neighbour, she put a plastic two litre soda bottle full of water on the flowerbed. Since then (a month ago) not one cat doody has besmirched her garden. I've heard of this remedy before, but dismissed it as a FOAF...
  15. A

Scouse Hitlers

[Emp edit: Split off from the Kray Twins thread: www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13708 ] Liverpool seems to be a popular place for raving megalomaniacs. Didn't Adolph Hitler visit an auntie there in the 1930s?
  16. A

Family Sees Aliens After Gas Fumes Fill Home

Just a "quickie from Ananova recently. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A family who started hallucinating when gas fumes filled their home were reportedly saved from death after they told a relative they were seeing aliens. The father...
  17. A

Anthologies of Past Issues

When will FT be publishing some more anthologies of past issues? I've got most of them, and they've saved a lot of wear and tear on my back issues. I was really disappointed to see that fifty copies of one of the anthologies that I haven't got (and believed was unobtainable), is being...
  18. A

'Titanic' Explorer Sets Out To Prove Noah's Flood Formed The Black Sea

This looks like a really interesting expedition. Here's the info from a news article in the Indy today: Explorer who discovered the 'Titanic' sets out to prove that Noah's flood formed Black Sea By David Usborne 23 July 2003...
  19. A

Butterfly Poster

Does anyone recall the fascinating poster that was given away inside Ft some years ago? It showed the complete alphabet (both upper and lower case) and the numbers 0 thru 9 in patterns on butterfly's wings. I kept mine for ages, but a look through my back issues shows me that I've lost it...
  20. A

FT171

FT 171 - Baby-faced Arachnid Has anyone else noticed that the little pink thorax of the new species of arachnid pictured in FT 171 resembles the head of a baby? Or have I been having too many late nights? Only an observation I suppose, not really the stuff of great threads - but I...
  21. A

Forteans Search For Hairy Man

I just caught the end of a news item on BBC Radio 5 Live, about an expedition into the wilds of the English countryside in search of an eight foot tall "hairy man". Internet searches have failed to enlighten me, but I'm sure that I remember reading of historical accounts of such a...
  22. A

The behaviour of flying insects

Has anyone noticed that flying insects will insist on circling around even the cleanest light fixtures in a room? It doesn't matter whether the lights are on or off, the little devils still fly around and around. I've tried sticking a circle of coloured paper on the ceiling, but it doesn't have...
  23. A

Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

[Emp edit: This thread is to mark the passing of people who had an impact on the Fortean world.] For other obits and the like see the RIP thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-r-i-p-thread.30162/ --------------- I hope I'm not being maudlin, but I think that the great Thor...
  24. A

Images of Cats on FT Message Board

I am concerned about the proliferation of images of cats used on this message board. Could it be that these images are used to signal some sort of secret alliance or common purpose between their users? I suspect a conspiricy. I think we should be told.
  25. A

Urban Foxes/Rural Legend

Out-of-Place Foxes BBC Radio 4's "Farming Today" programme on Tuesday 19th March, contained a short article on "out-of-place" foxes. It seems that Scottish farmers have been encountering numbers of "dazed, disoriented-looking" foxes, when out "lamping" (hunting foxes by night). One farmer...
Back