• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. baleeber

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

Cards are laid out face-down and chosen randomly. But each card's meaning is so vague, that you could take almost any 11 cards and do a kind of reading on a problem. For example, the "Death" card is (unlike the movies) hardly ever about a death. It's about change. "The Lovers" doesn't mean...
  2. baleeber

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

For me, psychic and fortune teller are different things. For example, I used to do tarot readings. I had a few store-bought decks, and I even made my own deck, which I still use. I don't believe I'm psychic. I don't believe I have any supernatural powers, no spiritual connection. My deck is...
  3. baleeber

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I never posted very often, but I lurked regularly. Anyway, I'm back now. Nice to see the new forum!
  4. baleeber

Where Have All The IH2Ms Gone?

Thank you for that! That's really great that you found these posts and brought them back. I think these personal accounts are always interesting to read.
  5. baleeber

Apartment Poltergeist

This was more than 20 years ago, so it's difficult to remember. I think the cans were simply always back on the counter, as if they'd never been put away. Thinking back, I seem to recall one time they were in the cupboard, but on the wrong shelf, and that we came home from somewhere and the...
  6. baleeber

Apartment Poltergeist

UnknownUnknown: First: good suggestion about bumping old threads. I'll keep that in mind. If a mod sees this and wants to move it, that's fine by me. I was not going through anything particularly emotional at the time. My wife and I were young and going through difficult times financially...
  7. baleeber

Ageing & Growing Old

My son came home from university yesterday for summer break, and while I was carrying his bag into the house, I was reminded strongly of my own father, carrying my bags into the house when I came home from university. My father, at the time, seemed a lot older to me than I feel right now. One...
  8. baleeber

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I'm quite the same way, but rather because I'm a fan of theater, especially "small theater". In theater, leads can look quite different from one another, and can interpret characters VERY differently. As well, depending on the cast, it's not unusual for even main characters to change...
  9. baleeber

Extreme Scepticism

There IS another possibility I've considered: I might be reset to before I broke the rules, i.e. I had to take the move back. I've sometimes wondered if there are "save points" in my life, like a video game, where if I screw up too badly, I can just say "Hey! Can do that one again?" and...
  10. baleeber

Extreme Scepticism

Good question. I've been asking myself these questions for years. There are 2 brief points I've considered. 1. To exist in a dream is still to exist. I still experience. I still respond. I am still aware. It doesn't matter, ultimately, whether what we experience is "real" or a "dream"...
  11. baleeber

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I'm an American, so I came relatively late to Doctor Who. I had a friend in university (late 80s early 90s) who was a big Doctor Who fan, and we even had a Doctor Who/Star Trek fan club, where we'd get together on weekends and watch Doctor Who (my friend had dozens and dozens of video...
  12. baleeber

Irish Settlement Discovered in America in 1520?

This is an interesting article, with a lot to think about. https://peopleofonefire.com/irish_colonists_on_the_south_carolina_coast.html I especially like the idea that rather than having domesticated deer, The Duhare might have had simply and northern European goat that LOOKS rather like a...
  13. baleeber

Apartment Poltergeist

Back around 1994 or 1995, my wife and I lived in an apartment in South Texas, and I remember that we constantly (almost on a daily basis), found things moved around. We didn't pay too much attention to it. It was mostly stuff that was easy to ignore, and we usually put it down to "imagining...
  14. baleeber

Dial a Number And Hear A Woman Scream?

Not a number to call, but phone weirdness nonetheless: Back in the 1970s a distant relative lost her teenage son in a car accident. They said that for years afterward, they would get phone calls that sounded like him, often just him saying "Tell Mom I'm okay." I know that sounds like an urban...
  15. baleeber

'Moonraker's Dolly'—Braces Or Not?

Funny thing: I asked about this on facebook! Five different people described the girl as having braces.
  16. baleeber

Don't Mess With The Fairies

Hi, Brig: I'd forgotten to add that they were once thought to be the original inhabitants of the British Isles. I think that's the most interesting theory, actually, because I feel there could be a grain of truth in there.
  17. baleeber

'Moonraker's Dolly'—Braces Or Not?

What a wonderful topic! Off the top of my head, I would have said she had braces too! As well, I would have thought there had to be an 80s movie where two kids get their braces stuck together. I can remember a friend of mine who claimed it happened to him (this would have been around 1983 or...
  18. baleeber

I would have to look it up, but I'm certain the account is from long before CS Lewis was born. All the sources in the book are quite old. Found it at different source: source:https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/48655/Hight_AM_T_2014.pdf?sequence=1 Not as old as I thought...
  19. baleeber

Amelia Earhart

Just a thought: Hypothetically speaking, even if people were on the island, if the plane had already run out of fuel and was simply gliding in for a landing, it's possible they could put down without being heard. Maybe! On another note, I read through this entire thread and didn't see a...
  20. baleeber

My favorite book on this subject is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/561850.Encyclopedia_of_Fairies It's filled with anecdotes from history, personal accounts, folklore, nursery rhymes, etc. The book gives a quote from another book, Popular Rhymes of Scotland by Robert Chambers (1870)...
  21. baleeber

Amelia Earhart

If that's an image from Tighar and Ric Gillespie from Nikumaroro, then I would say the answer is probably "no". I've been following Tighar's work since the 1980s, and I've grown skeptical. Tighar's "big announcements" that they have "almost" found evidence, and just need "a little more...
  22. baleeber

Toilet Talk

Wombat, have you ever lived in Japan? I've been living in central Japan for most of the last 20 years. I find traditional Japanese toilets a struggle, but I do have to agree that they are more sanitary that western toilets. No part of the body actually touches the toilet. As well, I've read...
  23. baleeber

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

I'm 46 years old. I remember back in the early 90s, I met a number of different people who, like me, had independently become convinced that the world would end in 1997. Yet, here we all are. I've seen a LOT of end-of-the-world predictions over the years. In fact, I'd say in any given year...
  24. baleeber

Cottingley Fairies

I think the girls were very likely inspired by spirit photography of the 19th century, which involved compositing photos, and as well, by then, Georges Méliès had already done wonderfully inventive things with film.
  25. baleeber

Cottingley Fairies

the Case of the Cottingley Fairies I read a book about them. The story was quite interesting. I found it quite funny in a sad way that the author seemed to believe that the fairies were real.
  26. baleeber

School Ghost Picture

floating As a person who fakes ghost pics for Halloween every year (I always let people know at the end of my 'show' that the pics are all fakes), I can honestly say there's cause for doubt. If the person is indeed standing closer to the camera (and hence the difference in scale), they would...
  27. baleeber

Is Soya Bad for You? (Or big bad agribusiness)

notorious natto Natto, the 'notorious' fermented soy beans you mentioned are an acquired taste, really. I didn't like them at all when I came here, however, I had a Romanian friend who just raved over them so I decided to give them another try. The main problem is that they have a very strong...
  28. baleeber

Is Soya Bad for You? (Or big bad agribusiness)

Japan I've lived in Japan for 10 years now, and we have a LOT of soy products here, as mentioned before. I find the study about low sperm counts interesting seeing that Japan has a low birthrate, however, the point about China is well-taken as well. I personally don't believe there's any...
  29. baleeber

Male Circumcision

cutting My father, a doctor, once told me that circumcision does decrease the chances of certain problems, but considering that the problems are easily solved today, and that the occurrence is on the order of 1 in 50,000, it's not really a necessary procedure.
  30. baleeber

Mysterious Deaths Of Microbiologists

81? Is it 81 scientists? http://www.stevequayle.com/dead_scienti ... tists.html
  31. baleeber

Ghost boy photo

bad psychics Sorry, DrPlee's link didn't initially come up for me. I just got a network timeout. This time I got it. Yes, that comparison is much much better.
  32. baleeber

What's In That Box? The Lloyds Bank Robbery: Baker Street, 13 Sept 1971

replies Sorry, I don't really have anything to say here, but I thought it deserved a reply and some recognition because it is quite a compelling story. I'd love to know more about this.
  33. baleeber

Teleportation In The 16th Century? (Gil Perez; Philippines / Mexico; 1593)

It's on p. 115 of my copy! It lists the source as Enigmas and Mysteries by Colin Wilson, p. 29. No names are mentioned though.
  34. baleeber

Where Will Our Clean Energy Come From?

plasma gassification I'm quite curious about plasma gassification: gets rid of garbage and produces electricity. http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2 ... et-garbage http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18328/ Technology Review is the magazine for MIT...
  35. baleeber

Touching ghosts

No, I've never heard of anyone touching a ghost ... I rather gathered that was the whole idea: that they are non-corporeal. Sogna, just wanted to say: I LOVE this line. It's great.
  36. baleeber

Ghost boy photo

HA! Hahahah! Mulder, I don't know how I missed that. This isn't a perfect match, but good enough. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/267 ... 29b6_o.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/267 ... c0.jpg?v=0 With a little more time I could have found a slightly better picture and...
  37. baleeber

Britain: Police State?

Police States I'm afraid I don't know so much about Britain's police state, however, the US has gotten a little frightening. Metropolitan police departments have been acquiring assault rifles, grenade launchers (for smoke and tear gas), armored personnel carriers, and a few even have TANKS...
  38. baleeber

Not liking humans

I think this is a lovely comment, PeniG. I'm not surprised by your location. San Antonio is a lovely place, or was the last time I was there. That said: I do have a few problems with the human body. 1) Ankles. Bipedal locomotion lends us speed, but the ankles particularly are not...
  39. baleeber

My Myth is Bigger than Yours!

Origins Well, I suppose the Japanese consider Japan the birthplace of the sun, and the main Japanese goddess from whom the Japanese people came was there for it, I guess the Japanese win? Don't quote me on that though. Japanese religion isn't my strong point.
  40. baleeber

JFK: Kennedy Assassination Etc.

Two guns? When I was in high school, one of my classes did a mock trial in which I was Lee Harvey Oswald's defense attorney, and our local library had the full Warren Report (it looks like an encyclopedia set), so I've gone through a bit of the Warren Report (prep for the 'trial' took months!)...
  41. baleeber

Naseby Ghost Picture?

We do need a daylight pic I would have to agree with gncxx. Without a daylight pic, it's difficult to say it isn't simply trees. There also seems to be some distortion of the picture itself, which raises my eyebrows.
  42. baleeber

Another Picture From The Sun

waiter We ran across this picture on another board a long time ago. Our consensus of opinion was a waiter holding either a menu or an order pad, and that the waiter moved as the picture was taken.
Back