• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Pinklefish

Religion Is Neurosis

I've thought of a new one: religion as Urban Legend. Maybe when we were "of one line" something odd happened, perhaps a hallucination someone had while feverish, or having taken a hallucinogenic plant. and their experience got retold and twisted and exaggerated for millions of years and has...
  2. Pinklefish

Do you know of any ULs involving children?

That BEK thing is more of a ghost story than a UL. It doesn't fulfill the basic tenets of an urban legend: circulates widely in lots of different versions, not easily traced to an original teller, and has some kind of warning or moral about it. So I'd say it's not a UL. Good story though.
  3. Pinklefish

Do you know of any ULs involving children?

Hi, http://snopes.com has loads of urban legends, a lot about kids. (I already wrote this post once, then it got zapped when I accidentally closed the window! Gaah!) Here are some examples: Bubble gum contains spider's eggs: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/bubblyum.htm Don't...
  4. Pinklefish

French Rape Gangs

It reads a bit like anti-Muslim propaganda, that article. I'm sure things like this are happening and it's a sad thing but I am made uneasy by the tone of that report.
  5. Pinklefish

FT190

I just remembered something I saw on Animal Planet last night. It was in FT - the pic of the tiger feeding the piglets, the piglets with little tiger outfits on, and the pig feeding the tigers. It was on Monkey World - they go round the world rescuing mistreated monkeys, orangutans, etc. They...
  6. Pinklefish

Do You Dream In Colour / Color? With Or Without Sound?

I keep trying to lucidly dream of smelly, colourful, tasty things for me to eat, but so far I've only achieved a definite rememberable colour, it was brown, some kind of coffee based snack bar I was being offered. I think dreams are going to reflect the every day perception of a person, so they...
  7. Pinklefish

Religion Is Neurosis

Is it appropriate to also ask if religion could be a physiological phenomenon, part of the brain's function (neurotheology) Or would that be another thread? Here's an article anyway: http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/neuro/neuronewswk.htm
  8. Pinklefish

Do You Dream In Colour / Color? With Or Without Sound?

That's just bizarre. I just woke up from a dream about being given some kind of white powder and paper on my tongue, by Stephen Fry, and then feeling a bit strange. I dream in colour, sound also. And other senses - taste, touch. In the dream whatever was on my tongue was fizzy, then he put a...
  9. Pinklefish

What Was It?

There is a disorder called prosopagnosis, where people are unable to recognise faces... it's quite rare so there's not much info about it online, here's some basic stuff: http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/prosopagnosia.htm Note that I am by no means claiming anyone has this or that this is...
  10. Pinklefish

Asexuality

You'll get blue boobs! I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist. I know it's not physiologically sound but I'm a sucker for alliteration and...... Emps! no! not the hook again... gargghgh
  11. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

It was the number 37 and I stated that quite clea..... Mmmffff (where's the "dragged from the room struggling" smilie?)
  12. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I don't know if this discussion would work better anywhere to be honest. My original points were relating to Kenneth Bigley, I've just spent the last few pages struggling not to be misinterpreted, and if you want to call that an agenda, that's your decision. I'm beginning to wonder if you're...
  13. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

You're gonna have to be a bit less mysterious...
  14. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I have no problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly what i'm on about - misinterpretation. I never said that I don't people disagreeing. I said I don't like people misinterpreting me. I don't think that's unreasonable. I WANT people to disagree...
  15. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I have concerns about being misinterpreted and unfairly judged, and perhaps that's made it sound like I'm being oversensitive. But how can you have a proper conversation about your own opinions from anything but a personal perspective? It's a great way to belittle someone, to accuse them of...
  16. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

For one thing, nobody was comparing Bigley's death to Diana's, merely the nature of the public outrage that followed each. For another, if you'd read my posts (and one of lizard's) properly you'd have realised the intense irony of you annoucing that Bigley is no longer worthy of discussion, and...
  17. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I think you've missed both Lizard's point and mine completely. Lizard is by no means at all infering it was Bigley's fault in any way. I am actually quite stunned you've actually thought that. In fact it illustrates Lizard's point perfectly. And as to my post, again I can't help thinking...
  18. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Ok so basically if I don't act out and make a huge fuss about being upset by things, it means I clearly have no feelings, and am not upset by the situation? Is that what you're saying? Bit all or nothing don't you think?
  19. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Dear god what else am I going to get accused of. At what point did I say that I felt nothing but curiosity about the deaths? You are just coming to generalistic conclusions about me because I made you feel uncomfortable by saying I'd watched the tape. So now it's open season on me is it? I...
  20. Pinklefish

Asexuality

There is also the possibility that a-sexual behaviour is not a result of psychological issues but hormonal ones. At the end of the day it's the hormones that control everything else, not vice versa. Maybe some people just haven't got the juices. Er, so to speak.
  21. Pinklefish

Belly Button Plant

You have a good point. It doesn't look real at all does it. It's still pretty funny though.
  22. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Diabolik, I think others have shown it's possible to disagree with me without all the agression. I'm not deluded, I may be cynical but only because of what I know. I'm not the only person who thinks the latest trend for all-in public mourning is a bit bad taste. There is certainly nothing...
  23. Pinklefish

Asexuality

All anyone ever seems to go on about is sex at the moment, on the TV and that. I imagine quite a few people lie about their sex lives just so they don't feel abnormal. Lifestyle magazines seem to imply everyone's at it at every available opportunity. It's gone from one extreme to another...
  24. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

It might have been clearer if you'd just said "I don't understand your reasoning" in the first place. All I was referring to was how everyone makes the latest tragedy their "cause du jour" and anyone who dare be "disrepectful" gets righteously slapped down, and suddenly any discussion is...
  25. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Re: Hey you down there And calling me a crack addict wasn't an insult?
  26. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Thing is, not having subtitles, the videos don't tell you much other than "a bunch of guys speaking a foreign language and wearing masks chopped a chap's head off" That's pretty much all you get from watching the video. You don't have to see the video to recieve the message. From the amount...
  27. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I think their ultimate aim is to provoke reaction from governments and get demands met. They want media coverage, they want power ultimately. I doubt they are that bothered about what regular people think of the video, only people who can get them in the papers and on TV are of concern to...
  28. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

I'm not asking anyone to look at the video.
  29. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Hm so I see the general concensus is that I am both sick, and a murderer by proxy. Cheers gang. I'll tell you what I think is sick - the way that people get off on public mourning of someone they've never even known of or met. People love it, it makes them feel part of something, they can get...
  30. Pinklefish

Table-Tapping/-Tipping/-Tilting/-Turning (Séance Phenomenon)

Er yeah....that's sort of what I already said in my post, but in a manner less likely to anger and upset the people on the thread who choose to believe in this sort of thing for whatever reason. Have some tact mate! ;)
  31. Pinklefish

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

Lutz, don't do it. I flounced out in a huff and made myself look a right tit. Don't be a Tit. Talk to Uncle Younger about it.
  32. Pinklefish

Farmers' Almanac Predicts a Wild Winter

I always thought it was because the birds need more food in a long winter. And the plants can tell what it's going to be like by how the spring and summer were. Not sure how but you always hear of people being able to tell what it's going to be like from the way nature unfolds. Now What I...
  33. Pinklefish

Re: Tiptology Wish there was video of this sort of thing happening. As it is, I would be more able to believe it was hypnotism. Derren Brown (yes him again!) said that he once hypnotised a room of people so that they could not see him - he was effectively invisible, as there was nobody else...
  34. Pinklefish

Belly Button Plant

I once planted some bird seed in some earth (don't ask why) and it shooted and grew several inches in the course of two days. Here's something related from R4's On The Hour: http://www.pinklefish.btinternet.co.uk/stuff/cress.mp3 P.S The bellybutton plant looks like an oak... ::eek!!!!:
  35. Pinklefish

Farmers' Almanac Predicts a Wild Winter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3738824.stm Also from FT188:10 Time Will Tell Gavin Templeton is making sledges as his grandfather predicts the snowiest winter since 1963 - due to toads spawning early in South Molton, Devon. Sun, 29 May 2004.
  36. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Sorry for such an offhand and rushed post last evening, if I'd phrased it better I might have got a better response. There are lots of reasons why a person would want to view such a thing, and I don't think it makes one a bad person. Society makes us feel like we're evil for having natural...
  37. Pinklefish

FT190

Re: Turkey pluckers? Hm I was referring to the Fish Fucking laws.... :D
  38. Pinklefish

Kenneth Bigley

Has anyone seen the vid? Looks utterly fake. A lot of them do - the footage cuts or changes angle just before they start the beheading, and they scream and shout a lot to cover for the fact the person being killed isn't screaming or shouting. And the resulting shot of the head looks fake...
  39. Pinklefish

Keep your cats locked up for Hallowe'en

:eek!!!!: :D :D The only reason I know to keep mogs in at halloween and the ensuing days is chavs with fireworks, even if they don't get them tied to their tails, they can get so scared by the loud bangs they end up hiding in dangerous places, or running in roads, etc.
  40. Pinklefish

FT190

Any readers of Classical Corner this month know which American states they are talking about? Just so I know not to visit them.
  41. Pinklefish

Cowboys and jellyfish

Exactly. So let's all stop talking about it eh, cuz it's working. :rolleyes:
  42. Pinklefish

Thats a very good point. The thing DB did was just suggestion, from what I know of his work. I don't think people realise just how powerful suggestion can be (why would they want to believe they can be affected so easily by someone saying certain words a certain way and using certain body...
  43. Pinklefish

Subscription Problems

I emailed Laura and my problems are now resolved. I am no longer cold and thirsty! Cheers Laura, and thanks Owen for braving the barrage of whinges. :D
  44. Pinklefish

NDEs that went wrong?

Re: I believe more info. was requested? What a brilliant story! And well told. I also like your attitude towards what happened, very Fortean indeed! I hope this thread remains for a long time because it is a very good account of the phenomenon.
  45. Pinklefish

They read our mail

There's a PDF here about why customs open packages/letters: http://www.hmce.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_Home&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000014 I reckon they just bodged it up in your case, overzealous use of a...
  46. Pinklefish

They read our mail

Re: Re: They read our mail :p Care to sink to the level of usual message board practice and state a reasoning for that opinion? It's the done thing, y'know...
  47. Pinklefish

They read our mail

If he's the ultra serious straight laced type then, is it possible that his new workmates are perpetuating a windup of grand proportions? Common thing, initiating the new staff in this manner.
  48. Pinklefish

NDEs that went wrong?

There is obviously the theory that it's the soul leaving the body. But another suggestion might be that the brain doesn't shut down instantly just because of a lack of oxygen. It might diminish a lot of it's function, but impulses may be still firing, and indeed still firing after what we call...
  49. Pinklefish

NDEs that went wrong?

Still leaves the basic question, what are we interpreting? If there is a basic, core, vanilla construct ready for us to interpret according to how we've lived, where is that construct existing, internal or external? Which we will discuss tomorrow... :) must.... stop.... posting
  50. Pinklefish

Derek Acorah

Re: sorry about the thread-jack..... Ooh yes! Des's mental state is looking progressively worse by the moment. I love the idea of denial to the point where you are receiving external input (cheating), and creating a seperate personaility to make yourself feel better about it. Multiple...
Back