• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Ascalon

Forgotten History

For the day that's in it... Saint George was a Cappadocian Greek who was also an officer in the Roman army. Early reports of him do not include the now infamous dragon (probably a large crocodile) , and he was also quite partial to raising taxes, which might be why he was offed! Disclosure: I...
  2. Ascalon

The March Of Technology

Not sure where else to put this, but it is very much about the march of technology and surveillance capitalism in particular. Pluralistic: Paying for it doesn't make it a market "Anyone who says "If you're not paying for the product, you're the product" has been suckered in by Big Tech, whose...
  3. Ascalon

Supersonic & Hypersonic Aviation

Boom's XB-1 prototype cleared for next major test phase... Boom's XB-1 test plane gets FAA green light for supersonic flight This new authorization allows the independently developed supersonic jet to attempt Mach 1 and beyond. Full story on Space.com
  4. Ascalon

Why Haven't Aliens Contacted Us Yet? (Fermi Paradox)

I think the general assumption is if in the vastness of time and space, an alien civilisation happens to make it to our neck of the woods, they would be the equivalent of many centuries of development beyond us. Therefore, they may have a societal outlook very different form ours. They may...
  5. Ascalon

Alternative Medicine: Homeopathy

For the day that's in it... World Homeopathy Day!
  6. Ascalon

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Take it easy, remember to stretch. Very easy to go too hard initially, and then seize up later.
  7. Ascalon

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Interesting piece here on identified previous tactics being used in the climate change conversation. Video describes the issue and highlights a book on the subject.
  8. Ascalon

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

It is audacious, but the scanning technologies these days would never be fooled by the density disparity. That said, they would have to have been tipped off as to a suspicion over the contents.
  9. Ascalon

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

Hong Kong makes largest-ever gold smuggling bust Hong Kong authorities have made the city's largest ever gold smuggling bust, seizing 146kg of the precious metal disguised as machine parts. The haul is estimated to be worth more than $10m (£8m) and was intercepted last month on route to Japan...
  10. Ascalon

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

So, has the orgy of human sacrifice taken place?
  11. Ascalon

Research Paper Assistance: Is There A Connection Between Cryptozoology And Human Imagination?

Done. Good luck to you and share what you can of your work, please.
  12. Ascalon

Once again, the grifters take an opportunity to peddle their myths... Solar eclipse: Experts debunk outlandish claims from conspiracy theorists The end of the world is coming and it will start in Illinois on Monday. That is according to...
  13. Ascalon

Bigfoot / Sasquatch In North America

The podcast from the History Hit series, "After Dark: Myths, Misdeeds and the Paranormal" is dealing with the phenomenology of Bigfoot. A good listen generally, but a playfully insightful look at this phenomenon.
  14. Ascalon

Was in the little French fishing village of Fécamp for the '99 eclipse, as it was the first landfall of totality. A group of us sat outside a small bistro and had moule frite with a sancerre while waiting. We were near the quayside and the sea made it all the more eerie. The cloud cleared with...
  15. Ascalon

Decomposing Globster Washes Ashore in Malaysia, Drawing Crowds

Reminds me of that famous Japanese trawler case featured by Arthur C Clarke. The Zuiyo-maru carcass Alas, leading theories are of a basking shark than some kind of sea reptile. Sigh.
  16. Ascalon

Science Fiction: Films & TV

Haven't checked out Constellation, but I was massively unimpressed by OA. It was trying to be three things at once and succeeded at none of them. Constellation looks good, but I'm a bit wary, for some reason. Have watched the trailers numerous times.
  17. Ascalon

Oh, The Irony

Maybe he saw that as his sole option.
  18. Ascalon

Oh, The Irony

Truck crash spills live salmon into wrong Oregon river A truck carrying 102,000 live salmon in the US state of Oregon crashed last week on a creek bed, inadvertently releasing thousands of the juvenile fish into the water. Full Story on BBC News.
  19. Ascalon

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

For anyone fond of a good podcast, a sub brand of the History Hit series is "After Dark: Myths, Misdeeds, and the Paranormal." Often addressing topics and incidents of Fortean interest, this week they are tackling the cultural phenomenon of Jack the Ripper, as opposed to the a whodunnit...
  20. Ascalon

More prototype action going on here, with the 'Quarterhorse' Mk 1 from Hermeus. Testing take off and landing characteristics for later super and hypersonic testbeds. More here at New Atlas,
  21. Ascalon

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

Wasn't the man himself supposed to be too?
  22. Ascalon

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

You see, the thing is that we have had more or less 1500 years of the mighty church editing the story as we go, excising what they didn't like and embellishing the bits they did. Consequently, unless we find a contemporary source that is untouched, it is very hard to say with any certainty...
  23. Ascalon

Great Quotations

Not profound, but amusing nonetheless. Fearless and pioneering motorcycle racing legend, Kevin Schwantz on corner entry: "Wait until you see god — then brake."
  24. Ascalon

Nominative Determinism

From the utterly wonderful Susie Dent...
  25. Ascalon

The Moscow Concert Hall Attack

Agreed, there are distinct elements of this that do not add up. And Putin's known history of false flag operations when it suits his purpose, such as the aprtment bombings that he pinned on the Chechens, it may well be that he used the credible warning of an immenent attack to craft his own...
  26. Ascalon

After years of freshly, delighted to see the XB-1 take to the skies. Still no small feat. https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/22/24108850/boom-supersonic-first-test-flight-xb1-demonstrator
  27. Ascalon

Harry Potter

Well, he's half right. :wink2:
  28. Ascalon

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

One of the unexpected consequences of climate change, and again, affecting some of the most vulnerable. Extreme heat at work can double stillbirth risk, India study finds Via BBC News
  29. Ascalon

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

For me, it's a toss up between ley lines and ancient astronauts.
  30. Ascalon

St Patrick's Thread

In terms of Irish meals, rather than cuisine per se, far more common would be bacon and cabbage, with spuds of your choice. Bacon joint boiled and then finished in the oven, served with cabbage that is blanched in the bacon water and then fried in some of the bacon fat saved from the roast...
  31. Ascalon

Suspiciously Common Russian 'Falling' Deaths

Yes, we may have to wait further for the 'tea' percentage to register.
  32. Ascalon

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

It is incredible to think that some 130 years after the case, documents are still turning up that are pertinent.
  33. Ascalon

Oh, The Irony

While wondering where to post this, I thought to myself, there couldn't possibly a thread dedicated to this. This place never ceases to amaze!
  34. Ascalon

Oh, The Irony

A Chinese airline warned passengers not to throw coins into plane engines after an Airbus A350 was delayed for 4 hours In a video, a flight attendant tells confused passengers someone threw "three to five coins" into the engine. From Business Insider The irony of expecting luck from throwing...
  35. Ascalon

Reincarnation? Recalling Past Lives (From Memory; In Dreams)

I don't believe in reincarnation, myself, but a friend who did would constantly tell me that my insatiable curiosity to know how things worked and why things were the way they were was because I was a 'young' soul, and I was still in my wonderment phase, and that after a few more goes around the...
  36. Ascalon

Fortean Headlines

From the Guardian... Cat in a vat: Japanese city warned over dangers of feline that fell in toxic chemicals "Residents of a Japanese city have been warned not to approach or touch a missing cat that appears to have fallen into a vat of toxic chemicals before scampering off."
  37. Ascalon

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Not last night, but a few nights ago, I had a vivid dream in which it was announced on the news that Finland had cracked nuclear fusion and were determining a means by which to distribute this technology around the world. There was great excitement and much anticipation of enough fusion energy...
  38. Ascalon

Astronomical News

Dark energy and dark matter may no longer be needed, according to a wobbly spacetime theory. Controversial new theory of gravity rules out need for dark matter Exclusive: Paper by UCL professor says ‘wobbly’ space-time could instead explain expansion of universe and galactic rotation From the...
  39. Ascalon

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

I see what you did, there!
  40. Ascalon

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

It may well have been in the brief window when Olestra was in foodstuffs, here.
  41. Ascalon

Lost: Malaysia Airlines—Flight MH-370

There was a doc on UK's Channel 5 last night, doing a roundup 10 years on.
  42. Ascalon

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

I'd imagine anyone engaging in such practices would be appreciative of such detailed data should any kind of contact tracing be necessary. And as for Aelia, i hope she benefits from the publicity and more power to her. Though not my cup of tea, as far as I'm concerned, consenting adults behind...
  43. Ascalon

Misinterpreted Headlines

Ahem, do share. For eh... research purposes.
  44. Ascalon

Fortean Headlines

Acknowledged. Thanks for the steer.
  45. Ascalon

"The Unexplained" Magazine

When I was a kid, I only ever seemed to be able to get these second hand in certain charity shops and used book places. I used to read longingly about topics to be covered in subsequent issues, knowing I might never find them.
  46. Ascalon

Fortean Headlines

DNA tests confirm death of one of Japan's most wanted fugitives DNA analysis has confirmed that a 70-year-old man who confessed on his hospital deathbed last month to being one of Japan's most-wanted fugitives was indeed the suspect, police said. Satoshi Kirishima, a former member of a...
  47. Ascalon

Taylor Swift: The Reincarnated Leader Of The Church Of Satan?

Never smoke without fire. I think she plays with our minds to keep here true intentions secret... :wink2:
  48. Ascalon

Blasphemy

Read this earlier. And I can only think OFFS!
  49. Ascalon

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

Not a Fortean book, as such, but one likely to be of interest to us lot. Great Pubs of London by George Dailey. Out of print, apparently, but looks like a lovely volume.
Back