• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Ascalon

Custodial Obligation

I like old stuff. Ever since I was a child, I've had a reverence for things that are old. I love things that are old and useful, be it furniture, or machinery, or especially, gadgets. However, I had an experience a few years ago that took me by surprise. I have also always been into...
  2. Ascalon

Hybrid Wind-Powered Cargo Ship

The return of sail! Pioneering wind-powered cargo ship sets sail A cargo ship fitted with giant, rigid British-designed sails has set out on its maiden voyage. Shipping firm Cargill, which has chartered the vessel, hopes the technology will help the industry chart a course towards a greener...
  3. Ascalon

Trials Of The Stonemen

There once existed, across Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Denmark, the Basque country, and many other places, a tradition of a trial of strength involving the lifting of certain celebrated stones. This tradition is thought to have died out in Ireland due to the wider impact of the famine, but...
  4. Ascalon

Submarining For Fun, Profit & Nuclear Deterrence

This thread is for everything submarine, submariner, and undersea related. First up, is a back to the future topic of magneto-hydrodynamic drives (MHD). This is essentially the feared development in the Tom Clancy Novel The Hunt for Red Ocotber. It is essentially a proposed drive for...
  5. Ascalon

Surgeons Test Pig Kidney Transplant On A Human

US surgeons say they have successfully given a pig's kidney to a person in a transplant breakthrough they hope could ultimately solve donor organ shortages. The recipient was brain-dead, meaning they were already on artificial life support with no prospect of recovering. The kidney came from a...
  6. Ascalon

Atheist Author Elected Chief Chaplain Of Harvard University

In a somewhat interesting turn-up, a celebrated atheist author has been elected as chaplain in the Ivy League university, Harvard. From Atheist Republic: "One of the special interests listed in the profile of Harvard’s new Chief Chaplain is “meaning and purpose beyond religion.” A very striking...
  7. Ascalon

Dangerous Ideas

I am fascinated by that most ephemeral and yet powerful of human creations - an idea. “All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident,” Arthur Schopenhauer. I am particularly fascinated by those ideas...
  8. Ascalon

The Disappearing Wreck Mystery

At 05:29 on July 16, 1945, the world changed forever. The Trinity experiment was the first detonation of a nuclear device as part of the Manhattan Project that led directly to the only ever use of nuclear weapons in war. Decades later, and an unexpected impact from the development and testing...
  9. Ascalon

Philosophical Transactions

The Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society is the oldest continually published scientific journal in the world. In its time, it has printed some pretty Fortean stuff.
  10. Ascalon

Defrosted Seal Poo Reveals USB With Video Of Leopard Seal

So, NZ Scientists collected seal poo samples and froze them. On thawing out, they found a USB stick in one sample. On the still working USB stick was video of leopard seals.
  11. Ascalon

Artificial Photosynthesis

Scientists have claimed to have developed an artificial photosynthesis process that will work at scale, using an enzyme and sunlight to crack water. "The new Cambridge technique combines the natural, algae-derived catalyst, hydrogenase, with solar devices to achieve unassisted, solar-driven...
  12. Ascalon

MI6 Slush Fund Found

BBC News is reporting documentation has emerged showing that the infamous "C", Stewart Menzies, the first head of MI6 had a £1.4 million slush fund in the 1950s from which to fund covert ops. Well over £30 million to day's money. Tally ho!
  13. Ascalon

The Great Pyramid Yields Secret Gallery

Khufu's pyramid has been shown to contain a massive void, the 'size of an airliner', according to researchers.
  14. Ascalon

Roman Coins Discovered Beneath Japanese Castle

The Independent is reporting that coins bearing the image of Constantine I have been discovered under an Okinawa castle, leading to all sorts of speculation as to how they got there. The report ads that Ottoman coins were also found in the excavation.
  15. Ascalon

Mysterious Automotive Levitation

You heard! ;) Via the Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/bizarre-moment-vehicles-levitate-inexplicably-6909881
  16. Ascalon

JFK related, but apt for all conspiracies...

This is a lovely little film about the Umbrella Man in Dealey Plaza, that bright November morning in 1963. And while this deals with the details of the JFK assassination, it pertains to all conspiracies, especially those restrospectively investigated from a distant present. It's a little...
Back