• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. XBergMann

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

For some reason I find sailing ships really scary. I mean the tea clipper sort with lots of masts and sails. If one comes on the tv I have to look away and I try to make sure I do not see one for real. That was a bit difficult when I worked in central Sydney near the harbour! I am also not a...
  2. XBergMann

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

I'm from down South originally and it was Walkers everywhere back in the 70s & 80s in our little village near Cambridge. Smiths hardly got a look in on the shelves of the local shops. Walkers has always been my favourite especially the C&O number.
  3. XBergMann

The Scariest Moment Of Your Life (Fortean Or Not)

Escaping from Kyiv last March at the start of Russia's invasion ... by car. Russian forces had invaded from Belarus and the area around Kyiv was swarming with Russian tanks, helicopters and very trigger happy nervous Russian soldiers. Some of you may remember the 40KM long Russian convoy that...
  4. XBergMann

Rash Of Mile-High Urine Attacks

when marijuana becomes completely legal it would be great to start an airline where all passengers have to smoke a spliff before boarding, or if they don't smoke consume some edibles so that everyone has a nice relaxing time and spends the duration of the flight giggling at how small everything...
  5. XBergMann

Farewell To Enola Gaia

I have spent the last hour or so reading this thread. A bit late I know but I am extremely sad to hear of EG's passing. I used to look for his posts, it didn't matter what the subject was I always knew they would be well written and leave me a little bit more knowledgeable on topics I had...
  6. XBergMann

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

This one from Sydney is interesting, worth a look at the 20 second video that accompanies it anyway. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11653027/UFO-sighing-Liverpool-Western-Sydney.html
  7. XBergMann

Suspiciously Common Russian 'Falling' Deaths

Actually colleague is probably the wrong word .... associate would be a better description, but certainly a friend and business compatriot in the world of early stage Ukrainian tech companies. (And for those of you who wonder what the upside is ... Grammarly is a Ukrainian invention) There...
  8. XBergMann

Suspiciously Common Russian 'Falling' Deaths

An ex-business colleague of mine in Ukraine, Dan Rapaport, a former Moscow businessman and lately an investor in Ukrainian tech companies as well as in his spare time being a heavy critic of Putin also suffered from the window curse and is now dead at the age of 52. Bit shocked to be honest as...
  9. XBergMann

The X-Men Of The Ukraine

I thought it was the weaponised ducks that Ukraine was flying into Russia also from all those American bio-labs that are everywhere in Ukraine. Now I learn the ducks are innocent and Ukraine was actually creating mutant ninja soldiers with special powers to make Russia lose the war and...
  10. XBergMann

Alex Jones

I'm still waiting for that American Civil war to start that Alex promised for certain was going to start on the 4th July a few years ago.
  11. XBergMann

Pea Soup Pranks & London Fog

The British army's officers were a pretty cruel bunch back in those days when a policy of shoot first and ask questions later prevailed.
  12. XBergMann

He joined the RAF not the army and served in Signals which in those far off days meant using powerful radios with huge antennas. There was a rebellion underway in Cyprus at the time over unkept promises made by Winston Churchill and the empire sent in the military to make them put down their...
  13. XBergMann

My Dad (now 85) lived in Forest Gate in London back in the 50s. He tells me of smog so bad that on occasion he couldn't see his hand when he stretched out his arm. The 10 minutes walk home from the railway station could take an hour or more if a wrong turn was taken in the smog. He was...
  14. XBergMann

Funny And/Or Weird Happenings Whilst Drunk (Stoned; Tripping; Etc.)

This entire thread has been a great read on a 400km+ bus ride from Perth to Albany. Thanks to all contributors (including me)!
  15. XBergMann

Extraordinary Human Lifespans (Alleged / Unverified)

I am 6'6" and come from a family of tall people and my extended family seem to live forever ,with 100+ being quite common.
  16. XBergMann

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

They mainly shop online these days, that is the main reason you don't see witches around anymore.
  17. XBergMann

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

The fizzy spsngles were great there was even a cola flavoured version. For some reason the cough sweets Mentholyptus were very popular at my school back in the mid 70s. Does anyone remember these. https://images.app.goo.gl/4gKKULy3CpBXS9b9A
  18. XBergMann

Eurovision

Brother gets to interview all the performers, gets invited to every party, he also speaks fluent French and German as well as English and is single. So for him it is basically a 2 week party with some work thrown in ultimately all paid for by syndicating his work across multiple tv and radio...
  19. XBergMann

Eurovision

Apart from the COVID years my brother has attended every Eurovision since 1997 where he freelance commentates on the event for Australian radio and TV and any other broadcasters who want to cover it but are too stingy to send their own team. By attend I do not just mean the final he is there...
  20. XBergMann

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

When that happens best thing to do is go and count your teaspoons
  21. XBergMann

O, To Be In England...

I lived in England until I was 36, I am rather pleased I no longer live there ... even though where I call home now we have the forces of Mordor massing on our eastern border, it is still preferable to London.
  22. XBergMann

Norwegian Undersea Surveillance Network Had Cables Mysteriously Cut

I do hope not as I live in the area.
  23. XBergMann

Bitcoin & Other Cryptocurrencies

Surely you can't claim that to be true for Utility coins that have a defined purpose and operate as the currency of a specific ecosystem?
  24. XBergMann

General Book Thread: Solicit Opinions Or Review!

This is my all time favourite book. If you haven't read it yet your life is not complete. Here it is...
  25. XBergMann

Single-Purpose Shops

This one always amused me, it sells sewing machines and electric guitars in a small town of around 30,000 people in WA. Been open for decades so it is obviously a real business.
  26. XBergMann

World Records (Miscellaneous)

I did not write electricity is free, I am well aware that it needs to be paid for. I wrote the fuel bill is zero. Fuel meaning petrol, gasoline and so on. For example the owner of a 50cc moped used regularly for food delivery or courier work will run up an annual fuel bill (petrol, gasoline...
  27. XBergMann

No pedals, the Guinness guys insisted we remove them so it was all battery power at an average 15 Kmh for the whole distance. They are 5 MW in motor output so at full speed they reach 80 Kmh. Weirdly enough they are completely road legal in the USA from age 14 upwards. We have sold a lot of...
  28. XBergMann

One of the companies I work with has set another record. We are already in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest journey of an ebike on a single charge... 367 Kms. Now the Bonneville salt flats have given us another accolade...
  29. XBergMann

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

I received my first Moderna jab yesterday. I will keep the board informed if I start drinking blood
  30. XBergMann

Life Flashing Before One's Eyes (Total Life Recall / Replay; Life Review)

Surely this high speed video montage of one's life to date that replays during a near death experience is simply the brain looking through all your experiences to try and find a solution to the problem.
  31. XBergMann

Innovations / Advancements Attributed To Nazi Germany

While reading these comments I can't help but see a vision of John Cleese dressed up as revolutionary Ralph from the life of Brian saying... "And what have the Nazis ever done for us?"
  32. XBergMann

Post-Apocalyptic Mocumentary?

Threads is a deeply disturbing movie, certainly not a comedy. When the wind blows is worth a watch though, a Raymond Briggs animation featuring Peter Sallis and music by Roger Waters. That one is funny in places ... but not at the end!
  33. XBergMann

Oddities & Idiocies In Using Autonomous / Self-Driving Vehicles

When it drives into the sea all by itself you could invoke maritime law and claim salvage rights, especially if you live in a coastal area or if you happen to British and live on a floodplain. So it might be worth following the next one just in case.
  34. XBergMann

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I can thoroughly recommend Carl's Rougham article I read it ages ago and it is beautifully written and well researched.
  35. XBergMann

The Shoes Hidden In Homes To Ward Off Evil

When I was little we lived in a huge farmhouse in the farmlands of Cambridgeshire and my Dad found a really ancient single shoe in the roof of a farmhouse whose main building dated to the 1600s, Dad put it back where he found it as he felt it belonged there.
  36. XBergMann

Conspiracy Theories & Democracy

And Davos, where world leaders and big business gather to discuss world domination ... um ... allegedly. Funny thing is a colleague attended the last Davos by invitation from a government minister and reported back that it was pretty tedious with lots of boring speeches and aging white haired...
  37. XBergMann

Russia & Ukraine On Brink Of War 'Signals Coming Of Messiah'

Yes ... it was rhetorical though so you don't have to
  38. XBergMann

Russia & Ukraine On Brink Of War 'Signals Coming Of Messiah'

How on earth is asking an occupying force to leave your country a declaration of war?
  39. XBergMann

Tea Towels

I lived in Berlin for 6 years and the JFK "Berliner" story was told to me by many Germans and also by my brother who had been living in Berlin for 10 years when I moved there. I and countless Germans seem to believe it is true. For those who may be interested my FT nic Xbergman relates to a...
  40. XBergMann

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

Not forgetting his socks!
  41. XBergMann

Tesco used to do an own brand 800g loaf for 9p back in the 90s. I always seemed to buy it because it was cheap. So I sympathize. Now I am older I only eat the decent stuff and as sliced ham is really cheap in the local farmer's markets, locally known as a rinok, I never run out of ham...
  42. XBergMann

In future buy twice as much sliced ham. That way your problem will be solved with the bread running out before the ham. Then you can come back here and ask why is it that the bread always runs out before the sliced meat. If you can't get the balance right after a few weeks maybe you should...
  43. XBergMann

It is minus 23C right now and both my gloves disappeared yesterday. You must be from a different timeline as right now somewhere in Kyiv someone will have found my 2 gloves and be wondering why they never find single ones.
  44. XBergMann

You will be pleased to hear that I have solved the mystery of teaspoons and socks and their entanglement at a quantum level in a post in this very forum. Please see post number 66 from 2018. I have tried to link it below.
  45. XBergMann

Bizarre Night In Mississippi

I have been known to put my glasses on so I can see more clearly when ...err ... looking for my glasses.
  46. XBergMann

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Yes we do have Lays crisps but they taste nothing like Walkers .... at least Walkers how I remember them.
  47. XBergMann

They were great for amateur dramatics, school plays etc...and for playing the sound of torrential rain in order to cool down on a hot day.
  48. XBergMann

Just out of interest what Job are you referring to that includes in its job description massive crocodiles, alligators, huge snakes, venomous snakes, scorpions and all types of spiders? I would like to know so I don't accidentally apply for a position there.
Back