• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Avebury Photo Wierdness

One with a national speed limit :?: :confused:
  2. D

Tinkering with Reality's Controls

'The Angelic Angleworm' by Fredric Brown: in the Heavenly typesetting shop, an 'e' lands early every x hours. First occurence is when, digging bait for a fishing trip, an angleworm floats heavenward, with wings, halo and harp - an angelworm :D
  3. D

unemployment figures

Funnily enough, in the '80s I did work in the stats department of a local bus company for a few months. They decided to downsize by 5% as an economy measure, and I got the job of working out the various numbers. In the end, Head Office were to lose one member of staff... yup, you've guessed...
  4. D

unemployment figures

HND Bus. Admin., then Degree in Business Studies (2:1). 'General' enough to be useful to any employer, I would have thought - and Edinburgh's that well off for jobs that the Scottish Executive are moving departments out of the city to employment blackspots (Inverness & Strathclyde, for example)...
  5. D

Want to make money? Do what i do...

A friend of mine - a manager in a retail store - pointed out a scam involving returning a penny change, but no receipt. The penny was lying on top of the till, and the transaction hadn't gone through the system - customer got change, and thought 'OK', but shop worker pocketed £x.99 - worth a...
  6. D

Predictions for 2007

I view the boards SPECLESS!! My specs are bifocal - without 'em, I can see sweet FA over about 5 feet away, or less than 2 feet away, but the monitor is RIGHT IN THE (no specs) SWEET SPOT!! :lol: (But my sight's degenerating - isn't getting older wonderful? :roll: - erm, Rynner? Your...
  7. D

unemployment figures

My niece is 16, and has decided she's leaving school, with few qualifications. Nothing her parents say will dissuade her. I recently started New Deal, due to the time I've spent on benefit (and before anyone says 'workshy', I've had two poorly paid temp jobs since graduating, as a mature...
  8. D

Ghosts Of Primitive Man

Given that science and 'organised' religion are fairly new constructs, I would have expected (gut feeling...) that 'primitive' man was more likely to believe in ghosts (rather than pyschological phenomena or angels, for example?)
  9. D

What colour are ghosts?

Does the colour of a ghost depend on the ethnicity of the deceased? (Not taking the piss, or being racist - just curious...)
  10. D

FT217

I was intrigued by the inner/outer back cover ad for the amazing book which will explain so much... There's a 1-800 'toll free' number, which, AFAIK, only works in the States. So how many copies of FT sell in the States as opposed to the UK? Does the free shipping apply to the UK? Or has...
  11. D

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Hmm.. we're only about 6 weeks from the shortest day, and today there were only about 8.5 hours between sunrise and sunset (Edinburgh)... Plus, it affects different people in different ways, and even the same people can feel the effects differently year on year :(
  12. D

Holophonic Sound Effect

The website explains it as follows: Obvious, really... :wink:
  13. D

People You Thought Were Dead

Oh, bugger. Well, there's another one. Time to go back to the home...
  14. D

Holophonic Sound Effect

Maybe not the best place for this, but it's odd... I found this on another MB. It's a really weird sound effect - you can hear it almost all round (best with headphones :) ) Holophonic sound effect
  15. D

People You Thought Were Dead

Whilst channel hopping on Saturday evening, I caught a few minutes of Tony Bennet on Parkinson. I thought Tony had croaked in the 70s, maybe 80s, along with Bing, Perry, Andy Williams et al - but no, his heart is still in SF, and he's going strong... :D
  16. D

Saddam Hussein's Trial Thread

Re: Wot, No Conspiracy Theories? Because either a) the crimes he was charged with all took place in Iraq, against Iraqis, or b) the Hague can't pass a death sentence :roll: Coincidence, surely? :wink: Evidence of his guilt was produced, and only excuses in his defence, so it was fair...
  17. D

Movies With Disabled Heroes

Aw, c'mon, he only posted a film title - no need to get personal... :lol:
  18. D

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Towards the end of last week, I realised that I was starting to feel tired & listless all the time - for me, a precursor of depression. Started taking the St John's Wort, and by Tuesday was starting to feel more normal. Not sure if it's SAD, though - although the depression is most likely to...
  19. D

'Sperm Stopping' Male Pill

I half expected the old male pill gag - you know - the pill is 51 inches across, weighs 40 pounds, and you hold it between your knees...
  20. D

I heard the story on a training course in 1984, and the lecturer placed it as happening on one of the first commercial computers, so that would be mid-late '50s? A bit before Superman 3, but I reckon I know where they got the idea :wink:
  21. D

The basis of (allegedly) the first computer fraud. A programmer, working on a payroll program, realised that there were lots of fractions of a penny 'floating about' in the system. So he added them together, and transferred the balance to his own account.
  22. D

Ugly People Commit More Crime?

Maybe the ugly crims were all of average good looks until they tripped on the stairs down to the cells...
  23. D

Top Ten Ghost Pictures - Breakout

Concentrating on the trees: Above the rear window of the red car (Volvo estate?) there are two light grey faces, one above and slighly to the right of the other. Above the white car on the left, there's another face. The place is crawling with ghosts - where was the pic taken? Borley...
  24. D

What have UFOs got to do with US security?

Unfortunately not - just 'cos we're here doesn't mean they're there. Fermi - maybe we're first? Maybe FTL travel isn't possible? Maybe there's a 'million year' scan of the universe - we've come pretty much from nowhere over the past few thousand years :shock: and have been missed by the...
  25. D

The Top Ten Best GHOST PHOTOGRAPHS Ever Taken

If you look to the right of the chap in the cap with the 'ghost' on his shoulder - his left - the crew are crammed in. Around him, and to his right, there's blank space. So what kind of group portrait photographer has crowds and spaces? Suggests to me that at least one person was ducking and...
  26. D

Coincidences

I was reading the first post about getting broadband on the 'post a pic' thread just now, when I heard the rattle of the letterbox. While waiting for the next page to crawl down the dial-up connection, I went through and got the mail. It was an offer for broadband...
  27. D

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

Anyone remember Dave Allen's gay Viking - Viking 1: 'Kill the women & rape the men!' Viking 2: 'Don't you mean "kill the men, rape the women?"' Viking 1: '(Blows kiss) You play your games, I'll play mine...' Yeah - in WWI, the nasty Hun invaded Belgium, raped nuns, and bayonetted babies...
  28. D

IBM: THis page intentionally left blank

I worked for ICL* in the 70s, and manuals contained the 'intentionally blank' page so that new chapters always started on the RH page... *Remember them? They (and the UK government!) thought they could build computers! :? :roll:
  29. D

FT216

I agree, but I suppose 'How Borneo's headhunters became the strangest army of WWII' is more likely to attract attention than 'Man Parachuted into Borneo in 1944', or 'Stones found in jungles of Borneo' :wink:
  30. D

snake hunter question

I vaguely remember him as well - this has been rattling around in the back of my head for the past sodding month! :evil: Iogenes... Diogenes... - tried googling various 'I-o-e-e'-type names (+snake) but got nowhere. Aaaaaargh!!! (BTW, he doesn't get a mention in one of Gerald...
  31. D

Animal Journeys

No, let's face it, there's no way a bird could have flown 130 miles in 9 years, is there? :roll:
  32. D

What Happened In North Korea?

In the late 70s/early 80s New Scientist published schematics showing how to build a crude A-bomb. This was after a physics student in the US created detailed designs for a nuke. He even gave details of the correct explosive to use to get the 'spherical' detonation required. How did he find...
  33. D

Friday The 13th

Re: Friday The 13th? No - but there's time yet :wink:
  34. D

Hiccups (The Condition; Remedies; Odd Cases; Etc.)

No, but look in the bright side - you won't be needing the rubber glove :shock:
  35. D

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Our Help

I won't be sending money to RAW. I will, however, continue to donate to a variety of local charities, as and when I can.
  36. D

Prince Albert's Prince Albert

Cheers! :yeay:
  37. D

Prince Albert's Prince Albert

I've heard the 'tidy outline in skin tight trousers' explanation elsewhere - but wouldn't the hardware spoil things? Also, I've been reading (re-reading, actually) some Stephen King stuff recently - he refers to a childish prank about 'have you got Prince Albert in a can?' - presumably US/New...
  38. D

Nuclear Explosion Over Netherlands

You can go to the Western Isles and have a fun time - drink lotsa malt, don't stay for Sunday... :wink: And, as my mother's Cornish, I feel that I must point out that it's the Isles of Scilly - they were only the Scilly Isles when Harold Wilson holidayed there... :)
  39. D

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Our Help

Or the benefit of fame to recruit some helpers...
  40. D

Hi Fi Problem

Yeah, heard this one before (many moons ago), but can't supply any more details, I'm afraid.
  41. D

Nuclear Explosion Over Netherlands

So the Netherlands, poor wee country, is history? I don't remember seeing anything on the news about it - does anyone have any details of the cover-up? (Dodgy videos, reports from 'weapons experts' who own an air rifle, geographers who have seen an atlas - or a picture of one - etc.: you...
  42. D

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

Every time that ad's on, I spend the next five minutes singing it to myself - before segueing into 'Girls, Girls, Girls'... :D
  43. D

Kathryn Blair

Hmmm, dunno - On the one hand, there's a 16-y-o forced into the spotlight because of her parents: surely most folk would agree to leave her alone... On t'other hand, there's mental health and bullying issues, and how they can affect anyone, even the PM's family, and what are we going to do...
  44. D

Pratchett vs Rowling

Robert Rankin - when he's good, he's good, but (IMHO) a bit hit or miss: Fandom of the Operator was maybe a bit too clever to be humourous? (for example..) Tom Holt - v. good, consistently funny, although I've not read all his books - yet. Terry Pratchett - seems to be pitched at me and my...
  45. D

Bored Game

Well, in over 30 years of visiting pubs, I've never experienced any of the above, so they might just be judged "strange", needed or not :wink: (There again, I've seen customers playing darts, pool, cards, dominoes, chess..... but never Ludo. Am I missing some novel experience here? :lol: )...
  46. D

Bored Game

In this case, the only way to win the game in one turn was to throw 3 sixes and a 1, in that order. Anything else is no good. So, first dice, 1 in 6 chance. Second dice, one in 6 chance, but only if the first throw was a six - so we're at one in 36 - etc, each throw dependant on what has gone...
  47. D

Strange E-Coli Similarities

E coli 0157 factsheet The recent outbreaks look like poor hygiene and coincidence, I'd say...
  48. D

Angel of The Thames

The general shape reminds me of a James Herbert novel chapter-header graphic - Creed? Who is influencing who here?
  49. D

Fish Egg Confuses Experts

"You ordered egg, but got fish? That's another £4.25 then, please"
Back