• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. P

that hoodoo that you do -- the Luck Mojo Curio co

Lucky Mojo Curio co catalog
  2. P

Alchemy Laboratories

the blog BibliOdyssey has an article with some nice prints scans of the prints on flickr
  3. P

The Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense

Clickety click Life is like a box of chocolates... Mods, I'm not sure how to best archive this for posterity.
  4. P

Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)

Russia, 1959, a group of skiers embark on a cross-country ski trip. On the night of February 2, 1959, some sort of accident happens, leaving them dead. Evidence points to them ripping open the tent in their hurry to flee, mostly in their nightclothes and shoeless. Several of them had injuries...
  5. P

Astroslut love-triangle airport RUMBLE!

Source I got a feeling this is gonna be one of those stories that just keeps on giving! [Emp edit: Fixing big link]
  6. P

Hypothesis : Nervous System & Viewpoint on 'Time'

I wanted to get people's input on this and see if anyone knew of any research done along these lines. The basic idea is that having a spinal cord led directly to our mental model of time that has a "future" and a "past". Take a fish, for example. That's the earliest chordate I can think of...
  7. P

Son of revenge of "Silly songs from the 'net"!!!

No flash animation for this one (yet!), but I turned this up while doing a search suggested by RA Heinlien's short story "All You Zombies" : "I'm My Own Grandpa!" (NOTE:The above linked website has a nifty java applet that diagrams each relationship described in the song as you scroll over...
  8. P

Can You ID This Mechanical Item?

Ok, this one's been driving me nuts, so I figured I'd give the board a go at this. I came across this in "The Big Book of the Unexplained" by Doug Moench and various artists (Great series by the way. I particularly like seeing the juxtoposition of the work of the various sequential...
  9. P

Subliminal Peripheral Vision (Visual Subliminal Distraction)

Subliminal Peripheral Vision Wow. I don't know if this guy is onto something or if he's a wacko. His basic premise is that people concentrating intently on long-term tasks can be driven to psychotic episodes by repetitious movement in their peripheral vision. He implies that human...
  10. P

Emperor Norton's Bridge

I think the is a capital idea!
  11. P

Drunken college students drowning in Wisconsin

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/articles/html/article_817.html see also: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/36607 for more links
  12. P

Kaiju Big Battle

I thought this would be of interest to those of a Fortean bent, but I'm somewhat at a loss about what to say about it. Sorta GWAR meets Mexican wrestling. It's , uhhhh, an event.
  13. P

BOP collective cloudbusts 2004 RNC

Damn, I missed this one until the convention was over. I'm not sure if 1) the "BOP collective" is serious, 2) they're competent cloudbuster operators, 3) this actually occurred. (And wasn't the 2004 RNC scheduled for the dog days of summer?...) [edit:]More from BOP ...
  14. P

Smells like schizophrenia

I was looking for information on schizophrenics having "smell hallucenations" and came across this instead. Thought it might be of interest. http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2000/102600/research.html
  15. P

Fortune cookie fortunes

I guess this topic is more pop-culture than Fortean, but I'm posting it anyway. I've noticed a sad trend where the fortunes in my fortune cookie are in no way prognostictory in nature. Often, they're just some old maxim or a general statement about my person that seems like something someone...
  16. P

Discordianism : The Hidden Threat

I've noticed on the FTMB that many of our correspondents to some degree or another familiar with Discordianism, probably from several different vectors. I've also noticed that an equally large number have never run across this danger to society and are flummoxed by passing references to it...
  17. P

Royal Rife Thread

I tried searching the FTMB, but didn't find an existing thread on this person. Royal Raymond Rife was an inventor that built a optical microscope with a magnification of 60,000x with which he claimed he could view live viruses. (This in itself is a pretty big claim!!) He claimed that he...
  18. P

SRV'ing Jesus of Nazareth

Remote viewing the big J himself from here : http://www.trinityscience.com/sessions/sessions.html I'm amazed this hasn't been done sooner. Is (S)RV a legitmate data-gathering tool? Are these guys honest and comptent practicioners of SRV? Have we ascertained whether you can get RV hits...
  19. P

USOs: Unidentified Submarine / Submerged Objects

USOs in the Baltic sea? I remember reading about this online, but now I can't track down the information again. So I'm taking to the board. This was related as an aside in a larger story, either about USOs (Unidentified Submerged Objects) or naval submarine / intelligence history. The...
  20. P

Sim-Messiah!

I searched for a Waco / Branch Davidians / David Koresh thread, and suprisingly didn't find one. Sort of like the "Jonestown Massacre Recreation Society". I'm not sure how "serious" this is. I've seen news magazine stories about the use of computer simulation in forensic reconstruction...
  21. P

Jacinta 1972

Ok, this was a new one to me. I was hoping that somebody could relate the background behind this. http://www.tldm.org/misc/1972.htm As far as I can suss out, this is a polaroid photo taken as a shrine in Brooklyn, NY associated with someone called Veronica Lueken who has reported...
  22. P

Mayoral candidates given Voight-Kampff Test

San Francisco mayoral candidates given "Bladerunner" replicant test. Some fail
  23. P

The FT strangeness index

Has FT dropped the yearly strangeness index roundup? I see the Heirophant has a data feed from somewhere -- can't we make that available to the rest of us? The Rapture Index has it's own slant, and Timewave Zero is more a predicictive tool.
  24. P

How to Good-Bye Depression:

Suprisingly, a messageboard search didn't turn up a thread on this, so I'm starting one. Hiroyuki Nishigaki had his 15 minutes of internet fame back around 2000 with the provocatively titled "How to Good-Bye Depression: If You Constrict Anus 100 Times Everyday. Malarkey? or Effective Way?"...
  25. P

Radionics

I did a messageboard search for radionics, and turned up nothing, so I'm starting a thread to collect information. I am not currently concerned with the efficacy of such devices. This is just intended as a catalog of such devices. Here are some tidbits to get things started. (Radionics...
  26. P

Freaks, Robots & Rayguns, oh my!

I discovered this artist's site and thought that it would be of interest to people on the board. http://www.claytonbailey.com He builds robots. And rayguns An associate of his is an accomplished pseudoscientist who has discovered bigfoot. His site is a virtual cornecopia of weird...
  27. P

Spoon Bending

I ran across this site http://www.fork-you.com which explains how to host your very own spoon bending party. From the sounds of this, it really seems like it works best if you grab a bunch of utensils from the thrift store, have a bunch of mates over and have a few drinks to distract yourselves...
  28. P

Can Science Cope With The Anomalous?

This came up in another thread (actually more than once...) and I thought it was an important enough question that it should have its own thread. Much of the 'damned' data that Fortean topics deal with relates to anomalous phenomena. We don't know how to reproduce it. We don't know how to...
  29. P

The X-Prize

Burt Rutan unveils X-prize entry
  30. P

9/11 : is this for real?!!

Awwww, look at the cute doggie! Errr, that is, look at the cute K-9 "Officer" that died in the WTC collapse! His name was, wait for it -- Sirius! Is this for real, or is this some sort of weird NWO Sirian conspiracy cooked up by Robert Anton Wilson?!! (Ok, 9/11 is a little...
  31. P

Big money!

from ITV :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: Is it possible that several news agencies confused 'M' and 'B'? Is that British billion or States billion? That couldn't have been Don's money. Somebody must be awful pissed at him. What the hell was he up to?!!! Hopefully something more interesting...
  32. P

Emperor Norton & scripophily

I'm a great fan of Joshua Norton I, Emperor of the United States and protector of Mexico. During his reign, Emperor Norton issued banknotes,. I was thinkng that an Emperor Norton banknote would be a pretty nifty piece of Fortean memoribilia, and that I would like to possess an example...
  33. P

Ancient Hippocratic oath?

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, it has been driving me nuts. I haven't been able to track down any refrences to this on the web. Somewhere, on one of the fringe forums that I frequent, I believe it may have been Keelynet (forum at) there was a discussion of lost...
  34. P

Magical Language & Languages

I'm starting this thread to get some discussion going and maybe find some references for several topics at the intersection of language and magic. What I orginally wanted to discuss was the actual psychology of incantations, that is how they actually effect the sayer and listener, not any...
  35. P

The Mayday Mystery

For the last twenty years, cryptic ads have appeared every May 1st in the Arizona Daily Wildcat, the student newspaper of the University of Arizona in Tuscon. The former webmaster of the online addition was fascinated by the mystery and has put up a website with scans of the ads. Is it all...
Back