• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. X

'True Detective' & Robert W Chambers' The King In Yellow

True Detective did nothing for a few episodes, then built up a lot that it never delivered on- I also wish I hadn´t seen it, but for rather different reasons than Ringo.
  2. X

Ebola

Interestingly, they are now spreading the message about Ebola through song. http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ng/378980/
  3. X

My Theory On The Afterlife

I've been thinking much the same Plusky. It could be that the dark matter body losing it's coherence is the cause of the half life of ghosts, as some talk about.
  4. X

White Afrikaner group fears genocide upon Mandela’s death

I suppose now we shall see how it all pans out.
  5. X

Super Ape... or Feral Human?

That photo is from the annual Tierra del Fuego fashion show. I was reading a book recently, where someone talked about how the aboriginal australians can survive chilly nights because they redirect all their bloodflow to the torso. Which means the rest of them can get quite cold without...
  6. X

"Geek" Is Now Meaningless

Indeed, geeks are people who bite the heads off live animals. It lost it's meaning long ago.
  7. X

That is part of the weird thing about them. They seemed to have been quite capable of staying warm, without clothes on. It's been said if missionairies let them sit near their campfires, the fuegans would start sweating. Perhaps their mitochondria produced extra heat, similar to what people in...
  8. X

Were the people of Tierra del Fuego not meant to be very lacking in culture, as well as clothes?
  9. X

Are humans living beyond their competence?

Homer Simpson once said: "Trying is the first step towards failure." Are you saying you'd prefer if we'd never taken any chances or tried something new? What a worthless species we would be then. "...a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
  10. X

Ills Of The Illustrious: Post Hoc Diagnoses Of Historical Figures

I think there are few things people have not diagnosed Einstein with. He tends to be the number one victim when a group wants to claim some historical character as their own.
  11. X

Ills Of The Illustrious: Post Hoc Diagnoses Of Historical Figures

Here in Sweden, the Autism & Asperger's Society(Förbundet) has created a wall of fame exhibit. I saw it down at the library, featuring a number of historical characters. They had for example Einstein, Newton, Tesla and it seemed a bit like they had just thrown in every genius they could think of.
  12. X

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I mentioned earlier how in the town I lived in before, there was a man who used to stand in the street every day with a sign claiming his childhood friend was the killer of Swedish prime minister Olof Palme. However I wasn't aware of just how deep the rabbit hole goes. It turns out this is no...
  13. X

Six Colour Rainbow?

Remember that wavelengths and colours are not the same thing. I believe some things have the same wavelengths but are percieved as different colours. Brown and orange apparently.
  14. X

Antarctica Yeti

They might go there for holidays.
  15. X

Antarctica Yeti

Looking at that leopard seal, I can see why some have suggested Nessie could be a long necked seal. Not a creature I want to meet in a murky, scottish lake.
  16. X

Blond, Blue Eyed Amazon Tribe?

Some of the people from the Solomon Islands are blonde, despite otherwise looking quite like west Africans. Genetic analysis also revealed their blondeness was not caused by the same genes as the blondeness in, say, scandinavians
  17. X

Birds Of Prey Snatching Domestic Animals, Pets Or Children

When I was in Sweden back in 1988, an eagle had apparently tried to carry off a toddler just a short while earlier. The toddler was too heavy though.
  18. X

Detonating Nukes On The Moon (Project A119, Etc.)

I must admit it seems to me exploding a nuclear weapon on the Moon, would do little to scare people. The explosions on Earth are easily visible, showing the devastation, the heat created, the giant smoke pillar. If you blew one up on the Moon, most people would just see a flash of light and then...
  19. X

Gravity: What Is It?

To me it seems you've mixed up wormholes and Einstein's theories of gravity as space time curvature. If space was folded into a circle like you say, wouldn't you expect light to be moving in circular orbits like the planets as well?
  20. X

Types Of Alien Life Forms?

You also missed out another science fiction trope: hive minds.
  21. X

Evolution In Action (Ongoing Evolutionary Processes)

There was one called something like Life after People, and another called Earth after Man.
  22. X

Gravity: What Is It?

So what causes space to wrap around the mass of the Earth, as you phrase it?
  23. X

The MMR Vaccine & Its Alleged Risks

Has it been mentioned on here how there appears to be links between the swine flu vaccine Pandemrix and narcolepsy? In Sweden a number of people who claim to have gotten narcolepsy from this, have recently reached a settlement with something similar to the Swedish national board of health.
  24. X

Body Language

I've done technical support for a number of companies. That stuff about how most communication is done via body language usually crops up during training.
  25. X

'New' Hottest Place On Earth-Conspiracy

One of the men involved in changing this climate record is Khalid Ibrahim El Fadli. The name should give you a hint that his loyalty probably doesn't lie with the US. It would rather appear that the reason this happens now, is because Fadli was only now able to finish his studies on the climate...
  26. X

All Documentary Film Is Propaganda

Yes, let us begin with defining what you mean by propaganda.
  27. X

Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel Is Bad! (Put On Tinfoil Hats Now!)

Yep, antibacterial gel doesn't cause resistance. Tell your colleagues to at least get such a simple detail right first.
  28. X

Why Don't We Have Proof Of Cryptids' Existence?

I don't quite see why a subspecies of tiny humans would be a spanner in the works of human evolution. Even today, we have quite a difference in sizes between people.
  29. X

Stalin's Man-Ape Army (Ilya Ivanov: Human-Ape Hybrid Research)

Don't apes tend to have rather short legs compared to humans? That would indicate to me a hybrid would have shorter legs than a normal fetus, not longer ones.
  30. X

Higgs boson found

Ahh, what the hell.
  31. X

Swallow Tattoos

I would agree that swallows is a motif common to sailors. I saw someone with a swallow tattoo, that they are sailors would be my first assumption.
  32. X

Found: John The Baptist's Cave

Can we refer to that cave of John the Baptist as the Bapt-Cave?
  33. X

Is Photograpic Evidence For Paranormal Events Even Possible?

I'd imagine a photo of a real ghost might look just like a double exposed picture, making it rather problematic to use as evidence.
  34. X

Forest Boy, Ray: The Return of Kaspar Hauser

According to the Dutch newspaper Volkskrant, the parents had not reported him as missing.
  35. X

Hard Evidence

I believe they developed good enough DNA testing a few years ago, that they don't need the follicle to be attached anymore. Which as you say might have made the difference. There's of course also a difference between hair being from an unidentified primate, and hair being from a primate but the...
  36. X

Hard Evidence

A lot of the problem is also funding. Sadly a lot of biologists need to raise funds for their works, and I doubt you'd have many people willing to support an expedition where you say you want to search for Bigfoot. It might even impact future grant applications for other projects.
  37. X

Is Rape a natural mating strategy in the human species?

Considering how relatively unfertile human women are, I should think rape would be rather bad as a reproductive strategy. The success rate for getting women pregnant after a rape, might be a lot lower than that for actually being in a relationship with them.
  38. X

Things That Are NOT UFOs

I found an article ysterday, about a chinese musical instrument called a pipa. The picture they used for illustrating the article is interesting. The two objects at the top are probably lamps standing on a table, but I'm sure Von Däniken would have loved them...
  39. X

The Beast Of Gévaudan

Hmm, in that movie they do explain what the creature is though, and it's not an andrewsarchus. I won't say more, since people might not have watched that excellent movie.
  40. X

The Beast Of Gévaudan

Doesn't "cloven" just mean split in two, another way of saying cleaved? More like the hoofs of a dear than those of a horse. I wonder if the Beast was some kind of hybrid. If you look at ligers, which are lion-tiger hybrids, you can see they are bigger than both of their ancestral species...
  41. X

Bear Raping A Human?

Dolphins do sem to try to get it on with humans sometimes. I guess it's also a matter of definition, if a dog humps my leg am I being raped?
  42. X

Bear Raping A Human?

1893? How would it get all the crinolines and such off her?
  43. X

"Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof" (Meaning & Implications)

Yes, but quite a quick and simple thing to prove as well. Water also has other interesting qualities, some of which we are learning about just now. Those are the ones that go through peer-review etc. I would say the word extraordinary can best be described as how far it is from what we...
  44. X

Duck Guided Chicken Drownings

Isn't this about general imprinting? The way a newly hatched goose or similar creature, will see whichever creature it first spends time with as it's mother. Konrad Lorenz pioneered the studies into this I believe.
  45. X

I meant awesome in the colloquial sense. Cochise: Yes, water freezing is a common, ordinary thing which is why people don't tend to ask for much in the way of evidence for a lake in Norway having frozen. However water does under some circumstances exhibit some quite extraordinary qualities...
  46. X

I'd say you've misunderstood the meaning of the word extraordinary. It doesn't mean "awesome" or "really cool".
  47. X

Well the original quote from Sagan used the word evidence. As for not being able to deal with uncertainty, I'd say it's more about being unable to stomach creationists who will say evolution is "only a theory" while misunderstanding the whole concept of scientific theory.
  48. X

It's not a phrase used in science textbooks, but the idea of it is.
  49. X

Swede trapped in his car for two months

Though if that was the case you might expect the car to have been full of McDonalds burger wrappers, tupperware boxes and all that stuff. Though I agree he might have been living in his car, and not left it because he had nowhere else to go and was worried it would be stolen.
  50. X

Sinister Cinematic Simians ?

Congo was based on a book by Michael Chricton.
Back