• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. The_Discordian

People You Thought Were Dead

I just heard that the film director Norman Jewison (In the Heat of the Night, Fiddler on the Roof, and many others) died. I'd sort of assumed that he must have been dead already.
  2. The_Discordian

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

The new episode is up.
  3. The_Discordian

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

Catching up on these. The bloke on the Mark Gatiss live episode who saw the UFO from Chanctonbury Ring is totally plausible - it's one of those places that, as I think I've commented on here before, seems to be where a whole smorgasbord of weird shit happens.
  4. The_Discordian

Revisiting Dream Versions of Familiar Places

I have an ongoing thing where I dream about towns that are familiar to me, but they're significantly differently laid out than in reality. This in itself I'm sure is very common, and certainly wouldn't be worth raising, but the interesting thing is that, each time (that I remember) I dream about...
  5. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I think I remember reading something many years ago to the effect that that house was haunted by something demonic.
  6. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I met up with a friend in a pub last night, had a few pints, then decided to go to another pub about five minutes walk away. We were deep in conversation all the way, so I may not have been doing my usual “Have I got all my stuff?” pocket checks as we walked. When we got to the other pub, I...
  7. The_Discordian

There was low-level panic on Twitter today because David Soul was trending (he's fine, btw), and I was absolutely convinced that either Paul Michael Glaser and/or Antonio Fargas were already dead. Nope, turns out they're both still around too. No idea who I'd got either of them confused with.
  8. The_Discordian

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

I think the last one was the setup for a Jonathan Creek episode.
  9. The_Discordian

Your First Haunted House

My dad used to get books on the paranormal out of the library, which I would dip into before I was probably old enough to really be reading them. The story of Anne Boleyn + coach and horses at Blickling Hall was one I remember reading when I was about 5 or 6.
  10. The_Discordian

Earliest Memories

I have a memory of falling out of bed and being stuck between the bed and the wall; my mum assures me that the bed was moved from that position before I turned 3. I also remember the presents I got for Christmas 1979 at my grandparents when I would have been not quite 3, so I suspect the...
  11. The_Discordian

Mobile / Cell Phone Weirdness

A minor curio that seems relevant to resurrecting this thread: I picked my phone up the other day to discover that a photo had been opened on it of a dog - a small Yorkshire terrier, for reference, and not one that I had any photos stored of. I closed the photo, assuming that I'd knocked it...
  12. The_Discordian

Have You Got A Double?

Or upset the wrong people and either had to leave the area or experienced a severe case of karma? Or my appearance has changed (gone from long hair and beard to midlife haircut and clean shaven) and theirs hasn't.
  13. The_Discordian

Have You Got A Double?

I've been confronted a few times in pubs by people who accused me of dealing coke in outlying areas of Worthing. It hasn't happened for a few years, so presumably whoever my lookalike is, has found another source of income.
  14. The_Discordian

I have to say, I was pretty convinced Bamber Gascoigne was already dead. Perhaps, under the new rules, he got another go before he was kicked out for good.
  15. The_Discordian

School Legends

When I was at middle and secondary school in the late 80s/early 90s "Penny Jew" was standard lingo for anyone perceived to have cheap stuff.
  16. The_Discordian

Chanctonbury Ring / Clapham Woods

The Black Alchemist by Andrew Collins covers it at some length, although I leave the veracity of it for you to decide.
  17. The_Discordian

Did We Smoke Out A Time-Traveller?

Sounds to me like Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day: https://nationaldaycalendar.com/pretend-to-be-a-time-traveler-day-december-8/ You say it was late in the year, which potentially fits.
  18. The_Discordian

Post Your Puzzling Dreams Here

My dreams have started to become self-referential. Quite a few times in the last 5 years or so, I've dreamed I'm travelling round a sort of not-version of my home town, with extra roads, extra shops, and different places where I live, and these have been more-or-less consistent over the...
  19. The_Discordian

"Ghosts" Episode Of The Rest Is History Podcast

The latest episode of The Rest is History, a history podcast series which I heartily recommend anyway, is all about the history of ghosts, with guest Roger Clark, writer of Ghosts: A Natural History, which I suspect may already be known to folks round these parts. It can be found at...
  20. The_Discordian

Strange Deaths

Is this the right place for historical strange deaths? If so, I think the case of Sir Arthur Aston (1590-1649) bears mention: After the battle of Drogheda, he was beaten to death by Roundhead soldiers, with his own wooden leg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Aston_(army_officer)
  21. The_Discordian

Creepy Small Villages

ISTR a story in the news quite a while back (possibly 10-15 years or more) about someone who climbed into a bin in Brighton, fell asleep and got crushed. Hence the need for the signs, presumably.
  22. The_Discordian

I just saw that Larry Hankin (Mr Heckles) appeared on the Friends reunion show, and I really could have sworn that he died 2 or 3 years ago. I'm trying to think if there's a similar actor (or an actor who played a a similar role) that I got him confused with, but I'm gettin' nothing. (In...
  23. The_Discordian

Things Falling From The Sky Over Brum!

Do you want Martians? 'cause this is how you get Martians!
  24. The_Discordian

Witnessing Death

He had all sorts of stomach problems and pains relating to obesity, so it may have been aggravated. As his next of kin never got in touch with me, even to notify me about his funeral, I don't have any more details.
  25. The_Discordian

When You Send Off For Something Dodgy And The Police Turn Up Instead

A friend of mine's brother once drew unwelcome attention from the police due to ordering firework components from various sites that were on an anti - terrorist watchlist. Apparently the bomb squad turned up at his door.
  26. The_Discordian

Witnessing Death

Witnessing death is a very strange experience indeed. A close friend of mine died in front of me, suddenly, about 13 years ago. He had severe abdominal pains out of the blue, I called an ambulance, and he was dead by the time they got there. It turned out his appendix had ruptured. He was 35...
  27. The_Discordian

Werewolf Sightings In North Yorkshire

Apparently it's been spotted again, this time in Halsham. Report in today's Metro.
  28. The_Discordian

Flannan Islands: Mysterious Disappearance

It's part of the basis for the classic Doctor Who story, Horror of Fang Rock.
  29. The_Discordian

Places That Attract Crime

Perhaps it just has an atypically malevolent genus loci?
  30. The_Discordian

The Ghost of Old Mother Riley?

The only place I'd heard of Old Mother Riley was in the Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society", which coincidentally also namechecks Dracula (implicitly referred to upthread) and Sherlock Holmes, who, coincidentally, was namechecked in the last thread I read on this forum today, which was...
  31. The_Discordian

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

I've been to both places quite a few times, and they're both pretty atmospheric, agreed. I remember my dog at the time wouldn't go within the trees at Chanctonbury. Absolutely refused, and he wasn't a dog that sppoked easily. There's also the disappearing man that my parents saw there, which...
  32. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

All this talk of Bovril reminds me of the linr from Spaced: "Mine's a pint of the black stuff" "You can't drink a pint of Bovril!"
  33. The_Discordian

Dreaming Of The Dead

This is an odd one for me. I have quite a lot of dreams about dead family members and pets, but AFAICR my reactions to them differ depending on who the dream is about. If the dream is about any of my grandparents, I tend to feel quite chilled, quite happy, almost serene; I'm aware that they're...
  34. The_Discordian

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

I get the impression that the most interesting paranormal sites in Worthing are not within the town itself but various areas just outside it, i.e. Chanctonbury Ring and Clapham Woods. My own recent possible experience on the bus looks to be the only ghost sighting in the town in a while, which...
  35. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Q. What do Rod Hull and Emu have in common? A. Neither of them can fly. Bearing in mind he was trying to fix his Tv aerial at the time, there's also: Q. What's got four legs and goes "tssssch..."? A. Rod Hull's TV.
  36. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Screw-in (and how very forward of you to ask...)
  37. The_Discordian

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The lightbulb in the room where I'm sitting just fell out of the socket, with absolutely no provocation, and the socket doesn't apear to be giving in to wear and tear. Very odd.
  38. The_Discordian

Being told to 'turn back' in some woods...

I'm surprised no-one's suggested "devil-worshippers". Or perhaps it's just in this part of the country that that would be the first thought?
  39. The_Discordian

Odd Experience On A Worthing Bus (Vanishing Person)

Yup. If anyone didn't think I was a nutter before, they probably do now.
  40. The_Discordian

This has made the local paper now. They must be bored.... http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/local/man-sees-ghost-on-worthing-bus-1-6667374
  41. The_Discordian

I saw today that the producers of The X-Files revival want to bring back the character of Cigarette-Smoking Man, and I was surprised because I was absolutely convinced actor Willam B Davis was dead. Turns out he isn't.
  42. The_Discordian

Faceless Ghosts

There's a couple of others, probably inspired by by the success of Fires in the Fall - one of them involved a (Viking?) burial ground and people being attacked by birds (I think), and I'm pretty sure there was another one too.
  43. The_Discordian

Certainly in Worthing it's very good camouflage...
  44. The_Discordian

Nope, it just had the one door:
  45. The_Discordian

Nope, she was sat about a third of the way back, and the entry area to the bus wasn't wide enough for two people to pass each other without having to really squeeze.
  46. The_Discordian

I almost feel embarrassed by posting this, as I may have just experienced some wort of sensory anomaly, but here goes: This afternoon, I got on the bus in Worthing town centre to go over to Lancing and see my mum (as is my wont these days). Before boarding, I stepped aside to let a bloke with a...
  47. The_Discordian

Disappearing Hikers

On my mum's advice, I would have loved to pick my dad's brain to see what else he remembered about the Chanctonbury Ring sighting. Sadly, though, he died at the weekend, so this will have to remain as another unanswered question.
  48. The_Discordian

Fortean Maps: Have Such Things Ever Been Attempted?

That sort of thing, but not so specific; something that shows *any* sort of reported Forteana in any given area. (and I've just realised, I put this in the wrong subforum - could a kindly moderator move it to General Forteana?)
  49. The_Discordian

Fortean Maps: Have Such Things Ever Been Attempted?

I've seen discussions on here relating to Fortean phenomena in specific areas, and it got to me wondering: Has anyone ever compiled a Fortean map of any particular part of the world? I appreciate it would be a long task, and I'm not even sure what groundwork would be neccessary, but it occurs to...
  50. The_Discordian

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

The overflow vent at the back of the bathroom basin had "Twyfords" written above it, so naturally I thought that was the technical term for it. It wasn't until I was, like, 8 or 9 that I found out "Twyfords" was just the name of the manafacturer of the basin :oops: .
Back