• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. The_Discordian

Revisiting Dream Versions of Familiar Places

I have an ongoing thing where I dream about towns that are familiar to me, but they're significantly differently laid out than in reality. This in itself I'm sure is very common, and certainly wouldn't be worth raising, but the interesting thing is that, each time (that I remember) I dream about...
  2. The_Discordian

"Ghosts" Episode Of The Rest Is History Podcast

The latest episode of The Rest is History, a history podcast series which I heartily recommend anyway, is all about the history of ghosts, with guest Roger Clark, writer of Ghosts: A Natural History, which I suspect may already be known to folks round these parts. It can be found at...
  3. The_Discordian

Odd Experience On A Worthing Bus (Vanishing Person)

I almost feel embarrassed by posting this, as I may have just experienced some wort of sensory anomaly, but here goes: This afternoon, I got on the bus in Worthing town centre to go over to Lancing and see my mum (as is my wont these days). Before boarding, I stepped aside to let a bloke with a...
  4. The_Discordian

Fortean Maps: Have Such Things Ever Been Attempted?

I've seen discussions on here relating to Fortean phenomena in specific areas, and it got to me wondering: Has anyone ever compiled a Fortean map of any particular part of the world? I appreciate it would be a long task, and I'm not even sure what groundwork would be neccessary, but it occurs to...
  5. The_Discordian

House Numbers (Oddities; Mysteries; Etc.)

You might consider this a minor thing, but I'm confused enough by it to merit thinking of it as Fortean: The other day, my mum needed to know some friends' postcode in order to send them a congratulations card for their new baby, so I looked their place up on Google maps. I double-checked the...
  6. The_Discordian

Nuclear Bunker In Sussex Downs ? (I Kid You Not)

An example of how paranoid people can get down here in the provinces, found in the letters page of the Lancing Herald, cover dated July 31, 2003: "I know you would not normally publish letters sent to you anonymously, but I have long held suspicions that a new Regional Seat of...
  7. The_Discordian

Mary White?

Don't know if this should be on here or on the ULs ... all depends on what anybody else has heard ... When I was at middle school in the mid-to-late eighties, there was a rumour going round that the school toilets were haunted by a girl called Mary White who had killed herself. Needless to...
  8. The_Discordian

Run down?

A friend of a friend (please keep reading, it's worth it!) apparently once claimed that when he was working in the region of Lagos, Nigeria, sometime in the mid-seventies, he saw a corpse on the road that had been run over so many times it was completely flat. When enquiring about this, the FAOF...
Back