• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. gordonrutter

Postbox Cosies

Apparently 161 Edward viii post boxes were made of which 150 are still extant.
  2. gordonrutter

Postbox Cosies

We have an Edward viii in Edinburgh along with three Victoria's that I know of.
  3. gordonrutter

Postbox Cosies

And you won't see one I'm afraid. The decision was taken just to put the Royal Crown logo on and no longer add the details of the monarch.
  4. gordonrutter

Large Snakes

Just shot and left there. Gits.
  5. gordonrutter

Oh, The Irony

It was all a publicity stunt.
  6. gordonrutter

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

To a degree this work has been carried out by Charles Paxton, interviewed in the current issue of FT. He measured specimens in the National Museum of Scotland and asked people to estimate the sizes of the taxidermied animals. He has also carried out another experiment where a pole of known...
  7. gordonrutter

The Loch Ness Monster

The photos have been put together into the video, if you look closely you can see the outline of each individual image. It's like the stabilisation of the Patterson Gimlin photo where the Bigfoot stays steady but the background moves around.
  8. gordonrutter

Phantom Heat

I tried ones of those log fire youtube videos on my TV once and I genuinely felt the heat coming from it. Or at least that's what my brain was telling me.
  9. gordonrutter

Canal Ghosts & Water-Wights By Nick Ford (2023)

Contact through his publishers, Spiral Books.
  10. gordonrutter

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

Its the Cross Bones Graveyard which was originally an unconsecrated graveyard where prostitutes were buried. Its a memorial to them not just the Jack the Ripper victims. Presumably the scarf is in memory of a more recent death.
  11. gordonrutter

Fortean Headlines

Not just painful but the mouth of a Komodo Dragon is full of some quite nasty bacteria and a non fatal bite can still lead to death in the wild from infection. Hopefully any potential infection can be dealt with by antibiotics in this instance.
  12. gordonrutter

FT443

Basically if in doubt ask. You cansend a message to one or all of the mods for clarification if something is ok for the Forum.
  13. gordonrutter

Bonnybridge

At a conference they were passed around.
  14. gordonrutter

Bonnybridge

I have been in their presence and handled them!
  15. gordonrutter

Harry Potter

Glaswegians. Definitely.
  16. gordonrutter

Harry Potter

It makes them happy and they are not harming anyone so best of luck to them. Some people support football and that is seen as normal. Some take their love of football / books into their everyday lives. One thing I will say, I've never heard of the police having to break up a fight between...
  17. gordonrutter

Harry Potter

I know a graveyard near to me and when you look there are Potters, Thomas Riddle, Scrymgour, Moodie, McGonagle and a few others. But then JK did have a flat overlooking this area when she started out.
  18. gordonrutter

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

Please if you get any feelings like this in the future would you post them here? Or if you prefer not to do so could you send them as a private message to someone for subsequent verification?
  19. gordonrutter

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

Has this ever been useful to you in any way?
  20. gordonrutter

Suspiciously Common Russian 'Falling' Deaths

Can I remind people this is not a thread about what is happening in Russia or Putin or anything like that. It is specifically about suspicious Russian falling deaths. Thank you
  21. gordonrutter

Fortean Podcasts

I've produced a couple of podcasts which I really enjoyed doing but they are so time consuming. Perhaps I'll go back to doing them when I retire and I'll come back and check the advice / wants here!
  22. gordonrutter

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

Erm a slight misreading of the chart there. Someone 5'5" would have to have a mass of 68.2kg to be considered overweight. They would have a BMI of 25. A BMI of 30 which is obese would equate to a mass of 81.8kg.
  23. gordonrutter

Fortean Headlines

Oh dear. Please, nevermore.
  24. gordonrutter

Into The Uncanny Book By Danny Robins [Spoilers]

Can we try and keep the discussion here specifically about the Danny Robins book please. Thank you.
  25. gordonrutter

Threadfinder General: Lost Threads Located

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/lets-get-to-know-and-see-our-fellow-forteans.60665/
  26. gordonrutter

Ageing & Growing Old

I'm 21. Cough, cough.
  27. gordonrutter

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

Not a problem, as it was a new thread it was easy to spot. The search engine does not include the main stream news so if it had been an older thread it might have been harder to find.
  28. gordonrutter

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Stop it. STOP IT. STOP IT. if i have night terrors tonight it's your fault.
  29. gordonrutter

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

Looking back at this thread I removed a lot of off topic posts. I would rather not have to do that again.
  30. gordonrutter

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

Fixed. Thanks. In future situations like this it's no problem to fix but a link to the relevant page would be very helpful.
  31. gordonrutter

I can say with great confidence i have never dreamt of Groundskeeper Willie.
  32. gordonrutter

Yeah but you don't know what I'm dreaming of!
  33. gordonrutter

Magic Money / Cash Apports: The Opposite Of Disappearing Coins

Just been doing the hoovering. Finished the living room, went to do part of the stairs. Came back into the living room and there was a 10p coin in the middle of the floor. If it had fallen out of the vacuum cleaner I would have seen it as I was walking behind it looking at the floor to ensure...
  34. gordonrutter

North East's Most Haunted Building—Never Heard Of It!

Not heard of it either and I did quite a bit of research into ghosts of Newcastle when I wrote Paranormal Newcastle.
  35. gordonrutter

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

For those of you in the Society for Psychical Research the latest issue of The Magazine carries an exclusive interview with Danny Robins which does at one point cover this sort of thing.
  36. gordonrutter

Fortean Studies

Fortean Studies volume 1 and 2 in a local second hand bookshop, I don't know the price but I can check if anyone is interested.
  37. gordonrutter

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Peace in our times!
  38. gordonrutter

De-Extinction

Sorry, I was talking general not the specific company Lord Mongrove mentioned in his original post, my bad.
  39. gordonrutter

De-Extinction

Whilst Crispr technology is one, and probably the most likely to work, it is not the only technique bring tried. That of somatic cell nuclear transfer (ie the technique used to create Dolly the sheep) is being looked at by Japanese (eg Iritani and Goto) and South Korean teams.
  40. gordonrutter

De-Extinction

One of the techniques mooted for de extinction is similar to the technique used to create Dolly the sheep. The nucleus of a cell is inserted into an egg and brought to term in a surrogate. In the case of a mammoth the nucleus would be removed from a frozen mammoth and inserted into the egg of...
  41. gordonrutter

The World's Oldest People (Documented; Verified)

Someone I know is celebrating their 108th birthday tomorrow.
  42. gordonrutter

Edinburgh Fortean Society 2024

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society Wednesday the 13th of March 7.30 pm The Beehive Pub, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, £1 entry Paranormal Entertainment - An Inside View by Paul Hobday Paul Hobday is a paranormal investigator/researcher and television show contributor, best known for...
  43. gordonrutter

NDEs Near-Death-Experiences (General)

In the UK there is a new advert for the British Heart Foundation and the whole thing is basically a past life recall NDE. It can be viewed on this page...
  44. gordonrutter

Fortean Films

As Mythopekia said, not available in this country, so its a country issue.
  45. gordonrutter

"The Unexplained" Magazine

The Unexplained did indeed get tv promotion and also free gifts. It was published a couple of times and the free gifts varied, a flexi disc of Raudive evp and a set of Zenner cards were part of them.
  46. gordonrutter

Fortean Podcasts

I've done some podcasts and unless you're going for a recording of a conversation type they are pretty time consuming to produce. So time would rule me out. Although I did enjoy making the ones I did.
  47. gordonrutter

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

In the Metro article linked to by Sid she states she did not see anything at the time it was not untill she reviewed the video 30 minutes later she saw the object. Also Sid suggests it could have been taken from the cockpit, no, it is from the back of the plane looking forward, see the shape...
  48. gordonrutter

Holocaust Denial

Holocaust denier David Irving has died aged 85.
Back