• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. mr_nic

Confidence

Fake it till ya make it. It really does work... One of the big things is getting over giving a shit about 'what other people think'. It gets much better with age, however I wish my kids would believe me on this one.
  2. mr_nic

Meeting In Dreams Experiment

A total wash out for me I'm afraid...
  3. mr_nic

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I could swear there's a bird (at least I think it's a bird - of the feathered variety) outside my office that makes that beeping / reversing type noise or leaving the fridge or freezer door open too long type of noise. Mainly mid afternoon time onwards, although I've never managed to find out...
  4. mr_nic

Forgotten History

I was recently talking with the business manager of a local school that was commissioned in the late 1940s and opened in the early 1950s (large brick built secondary modern design). As we discussed the design of the school - typical long corridors with classrooms off the side, he mentioned...
  5. mr_nic

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That is pretty niche! My hair grows at what seems (to me) to be a significantly quicker rate than others. In my younger goth/grunge years I had no trouble growing it down to the bottom of my back (or the top of my bottom - whichever measurement you choose). At that point it needed trimming so I...
  6. mr_nic

Timeslip In My Mind?

Yes, very much so. An extremely pleasant experience yet the 'sense' that I had physically travelled to the late 1960s for a very brief moment was all encompassing. At that very moment I had absolutely no doubt. I’ve experienced both the scenarios that deke3 and Ulalume also mention, however...
  7. mr_nic

Timeslip In My Mind?

I've had a very similar experience, however this was in my early 20s and happened a few hours after imbibing some mushroom tea. It was a fascinating experience and the sense of 'time travel' as such has remained with me ever since. The mind is indeed a wondrous organ...
  8. mr_nic

Meeting In Dreams Experiment

Sounds like a plan! Are we meeting at the top, underneath or on the viewing platform thing in the middle?
  9. mr_nic

The Worst Song Ever?

While Andy_X may be getting some stick about The Clash, he's bang on the money with that Peter Sarstedt song. That horrible fake laugh in the middle gives me shivers (and not in a good way).
  10. mr_nic

My Next TV Box Set.

I'm seriously binging the excellent 'Halt and Catch Fire' at the moment. It's been dubbed as a kind of Mad Men for the 80s (although that really underplays it). Scargs, you'd love it - as would Techy as it's very, well - techy... It's on Amazon Prime. Check out some of the reviews - one from...
  11. mr_nic

The Seven Sisters: Neverwhere sequel

Hard to compare them really, other than both are 'quest' based to a certain extent - although that's massively simplifying things. I've been a big Neil Gaiman fan since randomly picking up a copy of Sandman in 1990. For some reason I'd put off reading Neverwhere until quite recently (I possibly...
  12. mr_nic

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

Not necessarily weirdness per se, just odd: I was searching for a business in York and when I viewed it using street view, the sequence as I moved along the road kept jumping in dates (as determined by the change in the buildings). My first view is dated Sep 2014, as I click next along the road...
  13. mr_nic

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

I'm enjoying 'Occult Architecture Vol 1' by Moon Duo. The album overall has a good psych/drone vibe and the songs are apparently inspired by the writing of Mary Anne Atwood, Aleister Crowley, Colin Wilson, and Manly P. Hall. Worth checking out...
  14. mr_nic

Perfecting Your Own Ritual

AFAIK, I'm absolutely convinced I learnt this as a child. If I had sufficient desire, intent and will then I could exert influence on the outcome of events - usually something involving my parents not finding out about something I'd broken or some other issue that I'd likely be punished for. The...
  15. mr_nic

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

Hi Justin, is it possible to crop the photo to show just the creature without showing the reflection of your ex? There's cropping tools on all photo software (inc free versions) on all platforms. Oh, and thanks for sharing your experience. It's much appreciated.
  16. mr_nic

Folk Horror

Nice recommendation! I'm already a fan of the Vashti Bunyan/Fairport/Sandy Denny/Pentangle type stuff but there's some interesting tracks on there I've not heard before.
  17. mr_nic

Folk Horror

Hmm - as 'Children of the Stones' had such an impact on me as a child, and Witchfinder General / Blood on Satans Claw and later on (thanks to Moviedrome) Wicker Man are among my all time favourite horror films, it seems I've always been a fan of folk horror - albeit without needing to title it...
  18. mr_nic

Tolkien As Truth

It's amazing how many different places claim to be the inspiration for the Shire. As mentioned by amyasleigh, I'd heard stories as a kid of JRR staying close to where I grew up on the East Yorkshire coast during WWI. This article confirms the connections...
  19. mr_nic

Worst Movie EVER?

I'm not trawling through this entire thread but if the answer isn't '3 men and a little lady' then the whole world's gone to pot. I have my reasons...
  20. mr_nic

KLF & Sundry Side Projects

Good points. The author covers a lot of the issues surrounding the burning of the cash in the book and the (ritual) consequences to the band.
  21. mr_nic

KLF & Sundry Side Projects

As a side note, if anyone hasn't read the book 'The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds' by John Higgs then I'd strongly recommend it. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLF-Chaos-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551/ I do own an original LP of '1987 What the Fuck's Going...
  22. mr_nic

Star Wars

I'd gone in with low expectations (my eldest daughter's review was 'it's boring, nothing happens). Thankfully I ignored her, went anyway and bloody loved it. I'd love to see the next stand alone story featuring a vengeful Vader on a killing spree, ably assisted by psychopathic droids triple...
  23. mr_nic

Stephen King

I've pretty much read all of Kings stuff (I've still got the Mr Mercedes trilogy to do though). For a long time I'd put off the Dark Tower stuff as I didn't think it'd be for me. Hearts in Atlantis changed that and I threw myself in head first (plus it opened up all the past DT connections in...
  24. mr_nic

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

Interesting (long read) article on Napoleon Hill - ‘All-American Huckster’ "Napoleon Hill is the most famous conman you’ve probably never heard of. Born into poverty in rural Virginia at the end of the 19th century, Hill went on to write one of the most successful self-help books of the 20th...
  25. mr_nic

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've dreamt this many times - I'm usually in my house (or the house I grew up in) and I'm pushing hard against the bathroom door but something (and it feels like a person pushing with their full body weight) is pushing back. I'll be honest, I really don't like those dreams. When the door...
  26. mr_nic

Best Villains Of All Time?

Four pages in and no-one's mentioned Judge Doom? For shame...
  27. mr_nic

Seeing Through Closed Eyelids

No, not really. The odd toss and turn* while getting ready to drift off but that's about it. Yes, it would seem they are. Again, yes - it's set correctly. I do however sleep with my arm under the pillow and/or tucked under me - resulting in a lack of blood flow/dead arm and hand upon waking...
  28. mr_nic

I do use a Fitbit Blaze, although I've always found the sleep data deeply confusing. For instance I went to bed at around 10.40pm last night and awoke at 6.35am this morning. The data captured appears to show something quite different though!
  29. mr_nic

Time Quirks: Perceived Time Flow Slowing, Stopping Or Speeding Up

Yes. I believe the build up to, and fall out of the US Election has provided an overkill of similar stories / news / reactions / hand-wringing etc - leading us to feel like we're experiencing the same thing over and over. I just had to check the date when I read your post - and yes, it's still...
  30. mr_nic

Thank you Ermintrude, I will endeavour to make a note next time it occurs and see if it relates to anything during the day. My caffeine intake is fairly regular but exercise varies week to week...
  31. mr_nic

In a slightly related manner, I've recently (and occasionally) started experiencing a bright flash of light through my closed eyelids prior to waking up suddenly during the night. It's like someone has just turned on a torch and shone it directly at my closed eyes, only for it to sharply fade...
  32. mr_nic

Comics

My latest fave - with lot's of occult/conspiracy weirdness: The Black Monday Murders ALL HAIL GOD MONEY! THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS is classic occultism where the various schools of magic are actually clandestine banking cartels who control all of society: a secret world where vampire Russian...
  33. mr_nic

Science Fiction

Saw this yesterday as it's now streaming on Amazon Prime. Absolutely loved it - as you say, it's not an easy watch but it's one that stays embedded in your mind. Great soundtrack too.
  34. mr_nic

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Ha! That brings back memories... When you're running down the lane and you feel a certain pain Diarrhoea, Diarrhoea Some people think it's funny but it's rather wet and runny Diarrhoea, Diarrhoea I also remember the rather inappropriate rhyme about ching-chong chinaman...
  35. mr_nic

Found: Box of Otherworldly Notes (Daniel Christiansen; "Box of Crazy")

Great stuff - I now want to ride on a train with the head of a lion. That's definitely one way to make public transport more appealing!
  36. mr_nic

A request dressed up as an experiment

PM Sent
  37. mr_nic

Syria: Massacres, False Flags, Backroom Diplomacy & Endtimers

If it's not been mentioned already, HyperNormalisation - a documentary by Adam Curtis is currently available on the iPlayer (films section). It's a long piece but ultimately very rewarding (and quite hypnotic). This thesis unfolds along on two key interwoven timelines, one in America and the...
  38. mr_nic

Mischief Night / Devil's Night Vs Halloween

It was definitely a 'thing' in my small East Yorkshire town too in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't remember a definite date either except that a wave of communication would spread throughout the school during the day. Had to be close to Bonny Night as bangers were a mischief weapon of choice so...
  39. mr_nic

Think You May Have Dreamt The Future?

Interesting... However as this happened at 17.10pm GMT yesterday I wonder if I overheard the name on the radio and it's somehow worked it's way into my dream. AFAIK I didn't see any news last night or this morning as I was out at a meeting for 7am.
  40. mr_nic

Think You May Have Dreamt The Future?

Had one of those disturbing ones last night that sticks with you long after. A small / localised explosion (looked like a small mushroom type cloud - possibly nuclear or dirty bomb?) in a town / city - location name began with San (as in San Bernadino etc), felt like it could be California but...
  41. mr_nic

Survivalist Fiction/TEOTWAWKI Stories?

Going back a few years I rather enjoyed these: Comic/Graphic Novel Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/156534.Y Book The End of the World Running Club by Adrian J. Walker http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22617452-the-end-of-the-world-running-club Short...
  42. mr_nic

People You Thought Were Dead

While not still alive, I've always been under the impression that Gene Vincent died in a motorcycle crash in London in the early 60s*. I only found out today he died in 1971 in California from a ruptured stomach ulcer... *And no, I'm not confusing him with Eddie Cochran and the taxi incident...
  43. mr_nic

Still Puzzled 25 Years Later!

OK, she remembers catching the eye of a young bloke about 22(ish) and while she was looking at him his faced morphed into that of a demon (her words), complete with horns. When asked to describe it she only said that it was 'just evil'. The person then turned and walked away. She also recalls...
  44. mr_nic

Still Puzzled 25 Years Later!

Interesting thread. I remember being with my Mrs in a nightclub when she suddenly claimed she'd seen someones face transform into 'something demonic'. It really freaked her out at the time (I'll have to re-ask her about it later for more details...)
  45. mr_nic

Weird Local Traditions

We have the oldest horse race in the UK near where I live (the Kiplingcotes Derby), first run in 1519 and every year since. The rules state if the race is not run one year it can never be run again. It's a bit of a free for all across farmland, fields and tracks and you just have to turn up...
  46. mr_nic

Hypnagogic Voices

Yes, that's exactly it! The first was slightly quieter with the second overlapping echo louder.
  47. mr_nic

Hypnagogic Voices

Just nodding off last night and I hear a voice whisper the word 'Cable' in my ear. That's got to be one of the most random hypnagogic comments I've had in a while. It also had a strange delay on the delivery like I was hearing the word twice with a very small overlap.
  48. mr_nic

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Funnily enough I found a load of old FTs in the loft the other day (I thought I'd disposed of them all during a house move). Alas, I only have Issue 80 (May 1995) to Issue 139 (October 2000) left.
  49. mr_nic

Watched From The Sky

Just reading an article on the discovery of a new supersized black hole and noticed this as the first comment (totally unrelated to the article but it reminded me of this thread): Anyway I was watching the Sky at Night and decided to look North of Orion to see if I could see some planets with...
Back