• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

Global Frequency pilot

Just got this from torrentspy; from all accounts the networks turned it down and it is no more, but it's a great little show (I don't know how faithful it is to the comic). There's even a Fortean Times namecheck in there :) Basic rundown.. a global network of agents who investigate weird...
  2. M

The Finest Book In Human History... Cast Out To The Waves

Can anyone avail me of the tale of an Irishman (possibly a monk) who was so astonished by the fact that he'd written a book so perfect, that he threw it into the sea, fearing that after reading it, no-one would ever bother to write a book again because it could never compare? I think I...
  3. M

Brian's Predictions (Website)

I found this website http://www.briansprediction.com/ whilst idly surfing away. He claims to have started to see things in his dreams that will come true, and he's sharing it for free with the world. It's very US-centric, but there are some interesting snippets nonetheless.. in fact, some of his...
  4. M

Is This An Ancient God?

I'm thinking of a being with the head of a dog and the body of a fish. I'm not getting mixed up with Oannes either. I'm really quite stumped and can't seem to find anything on Google.. it does seem to have an old Babylonian edge to it though.
  5. M

Recent sightings in North Wales

I've just happened across this.. No photos unfortunately, although I suspect there will be some in the Daily Post. I'll make the call back to Wales tonight to get my Mum to keep hold of a copy and scan them in in due course.... AND This in LLandudno.. My Mum has also told me of an...
  6. M

The perils of licking envelopes

I received this in work today, and thought it might be worth a chuckle. "I have a coworker who states that his wife (who is a nurse) witnessed a situation involving someone who licked an envelope and then "hatched" a cockroach from her tongue. Supposedly while licking an egg-infested glue...
  7. M

Killer Waves Caused By Foul Weather

Yes I know there's a similarly named thread already, but I can't find it anywhere, so merge at will.. Nature asks for no quarter, and gives none... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4345903.stm "Freak wave sweeps pair to death A mother and son have died after a freak wave washed...
  8. M

In the Eventuality of the End of the World ...

I've been reading for the past few days about supervolcanoes, bird flu, nuclear/biological terrorist threats et al, and one could be forgiven for the thinking that the end of the world was nigh. One thing which has caught my eye though, is this burgeoning concept of 'super disaster'...
  9. M

Justice Prevails For Animal Duo

(in experimental formatting) "Dog's false lead in murder case US prosecutors trying to crack a murder case realised they were barking up the wrong tree when one of their witnesses turned out to be a small dog." "Colombian donkey Pacho is freed A donkey has been released after being...
  10. M

Anyone A Member Of The BAA?

Is it worth joining? I had a look at the website and there seems to be quite a lot on offer for your money.. but I know that appearances can be deceptive when they want people to sign up :wink:
  11. M

Defining religions

I was thinking about the new laws regarding religious hatred yesterday, and wondered at what point does a body of people become a religion? It may sound daft, but why can't I start a religion that has 50 religious holidays per year, all of which one could take, otherwise you could cite...
  12. M

Alzheimer's Disease

Ok, this is only in mice, but I thought it warranted a mention, because this a field of research where there are generally precious few breakthroughs in a rehabilitative sense. I wonder where the origins of the antibody they used lie? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4188677.stm...
  13. M

Who's been knocking at my door?

I've been port scanned to death today from mitre.org, and only my plucky little firewall is keeping them out. www.mitre.org An odd organisation, non-government yet government.. I do hope that they haven't found out about my sinister machines...
  14. M

Dream lady

Cribbed from the chat thread, I reckon this warrants an IHTM thread. Here's my post... "I've dreamt of the same doe-eyed red-head since I was about 6. There's no danger of fake memoryage, as I remember my life in total detail from about 2 1/2 (people always comment how old I seem for my age...
  15. M

Telepathy and precognition as an expression of subconscious

Over the past few weeks in work, I've found myself answering peoples' questions before they've asked them, and having seen them fretting about something given advice, only for them to say something along the lines of "how on Earth did you know what I was thinking?". Well, I briefly believed...
  16. M

Uncon 2004 quick summary thread

Not wanting to go through zillions of posts in the other thread, has a date been confirmed for this year? I quite fancy going to the Uncon :)
  17. M

The Butterfly Effect

I just saw this film last night, and it's great! I'm not sure how well advertised it has been, but it's a great time twisting Fortean romp, with only one real inconsistency in the whole film (not bad for a time travel film). I thoroughly recommend it.:yeay:
  18. M

Most Haunted on Shareaza

The title kind of says it all. I've just discovered that you can download all the episodes of 'Most Haunted' with Ms Fielding, Mr Acorah and Co. from Shareaza. I'll let you know any other gems I unearth on there. *gems so far*= Sledgehammer first and second series. Threads. Survivors...
  19. M

Halfbakery - Crazy Ideas!

I thought some of you might like this site. http://www.halfbakery.com/ It's where people post their ideas about how unusual things can be achieved (the anti gravity section is particularly interesting).
  20. M

The Subjective Nature Of Reality

I had a conversation in work today about colour blindness, and one of my colleagues was telling me about how his friend sees red as green.. you know. It got me thinking though. To someone who is colour blind in this way, or in a different way. X is to us as Y is to them and vice versa. But who's...
  21. M

The Sony QRIO

Not sure if it's just me, but I get the feeling that we're seeing the birth of -real- robotics here, in the sense of having walking talking automatons who will interact with us (and maybe even take our jobs ;)). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3330183.stm...
  22. M

Mr Urdd

For those 'in the know' as it were, would you consider Mr Urdd to be a friendly little chap, or something which is intended to introduce young people to pagan ideas/symbolism?
  23. M

Forgotten Tube Stations

I've just seen on a website that there are more than 30 forgotten tube stations underneath London. If memory serves me correctly, there was a legend about the ghost tube train from Cockfosters, and I'm assuming that this is one of them maybe? I suppose it's a bit like the old village train...
  24. M

Unusual Phone Calls (Received; Incoming)

This doesn't belong in the UL section because it's real!! Does anyone know of any scams where someone calls you, pretends that your number has been left on their phone, and then tries to weedle as much information out of you as they can? It's happened twice this week, and I'm wondering...
  25. M

Trouble at the petrol station

A lady fills her car up, and pays via one of those card thingies on the petrol pump. All seems well, until the man in the station calls over the tanoy to tell her that there's a problem with her payment. She insists that there isn't, but goes in to see what's up all the same. Once inside, the...
  26. M

Sledge Hammer

Not quite Fortean maybe, but hopefully some of you will have fond memories of Sledge Hammer of early 90s post-midnight ITV fame. It would appear that all the episodes are available on emule/shareaza to download! Huzzah! Just thought I'd let you know :)
  27. M

The Charles Berlitz thread

The Charles Berlitz appreciation thread In a brand new regular column, I, Snowman X, bring you tales from the master of mystery himself for your cogitation and discussion. "THE EELS OF ATLANTIS The instinctive memory of animals causes them to gather in great numbers and to cross thousands...
  28. M

Threads (Nuclear War Film)

Threads I finally managed to download Threads last night, and what a film. I recall watching it when it first came out.. I must have been about 9-10, and was a bit too young to appreciate it then.. but now. God, it must be the most bleak but realistic film I've seen, which is amazing...
  29. M

Ghost video downloads

Can anyone recommend a half decent URL where I can download a couple of megsworth of spooky videos? It just occurred to me earlier on that I've got plenty of UFO things, but no ghostly things! Google is next to useless too. It just brings up faux-warez sites for some reason. :confused:
  30. M

Let's make our own UL!

The time has come! ABout ten years ago, as a bored teenager, my friends and I decided to try something out. We came up with a really odd word (it was something like Splordific) and integrated it into our everyday speech, always in the same context, making sure that people heard it and would...
  31. M

Beware the chicken burgers!

I've just recalled a tale told to me about ten years ago which may, or may not, be a UL, but here goes (don't read on if you're squeamish). A FOAF goes to a popular franchised southern chicken establishment and purchases a chicken fillet burger, and requests that no mayonnaise be put on the...
  32. M

How does one summon a succubus?

I haven't had much success with ladies in the corporeal world for some time now, so I'm thinking of aiming towards the ethereal. Or is this a bit risky? :confused:
  33. M

Hypnotic Songs

There are three songs out of the multitude of sounds that I've heard in my innocent 27 years that have the ability to just make me stop, and stare into space, completely dumbfounded by their beauty. Could it possibly ave something to do with the frequency of the sounds, the rhythm maybe? Any...
  34. M

Attention Deficit (ADD; ADHD)

It's pretty disturbing - the amount of children who get diagnosed with hyperactivity *cough* sorry, attention deficit disorder these days, and get Ritalin shoved down their throats. I think in a lot of cases, a healthier diet (less Sunny Delight and Kwik Save orange squash) would help, and also...
  35. M

Iraqi man hid 22 years in a wall

Iraqi man hides in a wall for 20 years From the British Broadcasting Corporation Wesbite http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2938998.stm "Iraqi man ends 20 years in hiding After two decades in hiding, an Iraqi man has finally emerged back into the real world - squinting at...
  36. M

Underpants Man

This is why I miss living in Wales. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2915917.stm Underwear vandal sentenced A man who marched down Cardiff's main streets in his underpants smashing 43 shop windows with a spade is to be sentenced later. Andrew Roxberry pleaded guilty to 23 charges of...
  37. M

Scopolamine: A Mind Control Drug?

You know, this tale might have some factual grounds. I recall reading in FT a looooooooooooong time ago (the issue had a picture of a black cat on the front I think, around about 1993ish). There was a report in there about how either Thai or Venezualan prostitutes were luring customers to hotel...
  38. M

Whistling in the Wind..

Were there ever any credible theories as to what the whistling heard by a lot of people in the air could be? The whistling I describe was not dissimilar to the sound heard when you rub the rim of a wet glass. Having heard this sound myself, usually on dry and windy days, I often wondered what...
  39. M

Stories Of Monsters In Merseyside Caves

I recall reading in a Charles Berlitz *ahem* book some time ago, that there was a cave network beneath St Helens on Merseyside, where there was much rumness afoot. The story went along the lines of a boy scout being murdered whilst on an expedition to the caves, allegedly by some kind of...
Back