• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. A

Thylacinish thoughts, prompted by chance book reference

A pretty trivial thing; re which, however, I’ll beg people’s indulgence. I’m an enthusiast for railways, as well as things cryptozoologic: have lately become the owner of a book, published a couple of years ago (copious pictures, fairly copious text) about railways in the north-western region of...
  2. A

What would happen if you were forced to follow the news?

Prompted by the current “Human Condition” thread, What happens if you stop following the news? Most posters on that thread give the impression of being “news junkies” – if at times, reluctant ones who see some upside to being “news-proof” – with at best a limited ability to renounce their...
  3. A

A 1950s cryptid-interest-taker, in Canada

An interesting recent bit of "chance-happening-upon" when reading one of the autobiographical books -- Sequel to Boldness -- by the author Richard Pape (1916 -- 1995, best known for his published accounts of his World War II exploits -- in the RAF, shot down over occupied Europe in 1941, P.O.W...
  4. A

Colonel Percy Fawcett & His Cryptid Connections

Post prompted by material recently seen on another site, concerning a highly-Fortean character: Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, born 1867, last heard from early summer 1925 (ninety years ago). British explorer who did his stuff in the interior of South America. This lately Net-discovered gen...
  5. A

Tigers "between the Koreas"?

This concerns "known species thought locally extinct", rather than "uncatalogued mystery species" -- but I was intrigued to find it cited recently; on another message board, of the "about everything under the sun" variety. The species concerned is the Siberian / Korean tiger (Panthera tigris...
  6. A

Paraguayan (Very) Strange Reputed Creatures

I would seem to be at a bit of a loose end: am submitting thus, an item which I’ve found intriguing, since first coming upon it some years ago. This is a thing which I feel definitely classes as Fortean: am submitting it first to “Cryptozoology – general”, largely because of my having spent a...
  7. A

School for Spies

Prompted by research in other directions: it has lately been borne in upon me that I happened to attend for my secondary schooling, an establishment which for a good many decades, chanced to nurture a disproportionate number of Britons who came to be high up on the intelligence / spying scene...
  8. A

"Comic relief" - weird idea about Russian history

Posting this -- lately encountered by me on another message board -- basically for its laugh-value. Not, I gather, a conspiracy theory as such, in the sense of being preached by a group of devotees as "what really happened -- the stuff you've been taught, is wrong" (though I feel that it would...
  9. A

"Give Us Back Our Eleven Days"

This post prompted by a recent exchange on another message board. I had for a long time cherished a tale involving England’s switching in 1752, from the Julian calendar, to the Gregorian calendar which had long obtained in most of Europe. With the two calendars being eleven days out of synch...
  10. A

"Poem" for New Year

New Year – one of those times when licence for a degree of silliness, is granted. Thus, the forthcoming bit of doggerel. Hoping that in the seasonal spirit, some decidedly tortured and convoluted metre-fitting and rhyming might be forgiven...
  11. A

Planned new film in Harry Potter universe

Recent announcement made, of a planned film set in J.K. Rowling’s Potterverse – combination of Warner Brothers, and JKR allegedly doing the screenplay – possibly the first of many. Seen as set in the Potterverse, but circa 1918, and according to Rowling, “not a prequel”. Its main character is to...
  12. A

I Could Have Killed Hitler, But...

Often-expressed "alternative history" theme -- "if only I'd had the chance to kill Hitler early in his life..." Story in my local paper, the Birmingham Mail, of 2 / 9 / 13: about a local World War 1 soldier who supposedly had Adolf Hitler in his gunsights, but failed to kill him. I see a...
  13. A

Cryptids: Legal obstacles to research?

Am making two posts concurrently, on a similar theme; in their respective appropriate sub-sections re the two different creatures concerned. These are Tasmania's thylacine; and the US and Canada's Bigfoot: differ greatly zoologically and in (alleged) appearance -- but besides being the two...
  14. A

New Guinea Ropen & Other Potentially Weird Bats Or Birds

Spin-off here, from the new "Irian Jaya thylacines" thread on "mystery quadrupeds": concerning New Guinea, I'm rather taken with the idea of that part of the world's "Ropen". Envisaged by some, as a possible pterodactyl / pterosaur. Admittedly, anecdotal evidence only: account by an American WW2...
  15. A

Cloning Endangered Animal Species

A light-hearted daft one here -- might have been newly discovered, or a cryptid, but wasn't... (I'd provide links to and / or reproduce the articles mentioned below, if I could; but such doings are beyond my abysmal computer skills.) On a website which deals with a wide range of...
  16. A

Hastening The End Of Rail Steam Traction?

A conspiracy-theory scenario occasionally floated, concerning a hobby-type passion of mine; would be interested in any thoughts / comments. Many people (myself included) are captivated, on a basically “aesthetic” level, by the steam railway locomotive and the sight / sound / smell of it in...
  17. A

Link to recent Dimitri Bayanov "hominology" articl

http://www.isu.edu/rhi/pdf/Bayanov.pdf
  18. A

Andros Island (Bahamas) Weirdness

Vintage newspaper article lately come upon, in course of discussion-and-researching on the “Cryptozoology” sub-forum. (A bit of it, quoted thereon.) “Bonus” found, of discovering a fair degree of sheer spooky weirdery (cryptozoological interest aside) in the article. It’s a 1956 article in a...
  19. A

Madagascan Mysteries

Madagascar is a place that I find fascinating, for various reasons. One such is the possibility – even if slim – of present-day cryptozoological “action” there. Attempted summary, below, of such “just-maybe’s”. These culled from a combination of material from Karl Shuker’s blog; and...
  20. A

The Kakapo: Unsaveable?

Am hoping that the article reproduced here, may be admissible, although it concerns a creature whose existence is not in doubt, and which is (just) still with us. (Here in “Cryptozoology” there is, after all, a thread about the British red squirrel – a species very much still in existence.)...
  21. A

Myra Shackley

Information sought. Myra Shackley, long-time researcher into “mysterious hairy bipeds” chiefly in the “Old World”. Book of hers, “Wildmen: Yeti, Sasquatch, and the Neanderthal Enigma” (publ. 1983), which I have at present on order from Amazon. Ms. Shackley seems to be “a lady of parts”. I...
  22. A

Language-Mystification

The following (read of long ago, and long forgotten), was recalled to mind recently in correspondence with a friend who speaks Welsh, and has occasionally used that in foreign parts, to avoid awkward situations with importunate locals (pretence of totally-no-language-in-common). Basically, I...
Back