• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. SkepticalX

The Roswell Incident [1947]

If you are old enough, you can remember a time before 1977 when Roswell wasn't even a thing. The event that changed all that was the release of Charles Berlitz's book, The Roswell Incident. It was only after that that Roswell blossomed into the cottage industry it is today. If you look at...
  2. SkepticalX

Bigfoot / Sasquatch In North America

There is something very human-looking in that running gait, Doc. Seems a very tall creature weighing several hundred pounds wouldn't run like Tom Cruise in a Mission Impossible movie.
  3. SkepticalX

Can A.I. Detect Disinformation?

I agree that machines are still unable to do anything they haven't been programmed to do. So, this software can only identify disinformation as defined by its programmers. True artificial intelligence has been an elusive goal, simply because we still don't have a complete handle on how human...
  4. SkepticalX

Worst Movie EVER?

I caught the last part of the 1980 version of Flash Gordon last night. Queen soundtrack not withstanding, it was pretty damn awful.
  5. SkepticalX

Hallucinogens

I may or may not recall a hazy summer long ago that involved periodic, close encounters with controlled substances. It seems a particular product would be readily available for a while (various colors of "ahcid" usually) only to be replaced by something else a few weeks later. As others have...
  6. SkepticalX

Celebrity Ghosts & Hauntings

Hopefully not just pee-ing the bed. ;)
  7. SkepticalX

Kelly / Hopkinsville (Kentucky) 'Goblins' Incident (1955)

Nothing to see here... move along. ;)
  8. SkepticalX

Lithium In Water 'Curbs Suicide'

I do not want our government-run water systems introducing chemicals to sedate the populace. It sounds like the beginning of a bad science fiction movie. I can just hear Nancy Pelosi selling it as a way to save lives and make everyone feel safer. I can also imagine politicos would have an...
  9. SkepticalX

Celebrity Ghosts & Hauntings

I always thought that this story was rather compelling (please ignore the over-the-top host)...
  10. SkepticalX

Telly Savalas' Ghostly Encounter

I always thought that this story was rather compelling (please ignore the over-the-top host)...
  11. SkepticalX

From EVP To The Ghost Box

A quick Google search will yield results to keep you busy for hours. However, some that I have heard are from friends who have done ghost hunting. They are not my property and not available online. I trust that these people have not manipulated the recordings in any way. The speech is clear...
  12. SkepticalX

Several years back, I bought a digital recorder but the operation of it was so cryptic, I never really felt comfortable using it. I did try it once, placing it in the office cubicle of a co-worker who unexpectedly passed away. However, my departed colleague must have had no desire to haunt his...
  13. SkepticalX

There are some pretty impressive EVPs out there. I am not sure what to make of them. Many are likely fakes but (as Stanton Friedman said about UFOs), all it takes is one. I am less impressed with spirit boxes. I just can't figure out the mechanism by which a spirit would manipulate such...
  14. SkepticalX

Specifics

Good point, but maybe it's these strong, interpersonal connections that transcend death better than the petty details. Also, there's no guarantee that the snippet of memory that sticks with the shade of dear old Uncle Ned means anything to us. It appears cryptic but, perhaps, only from our...
  15. SkepticalX

Specifics

It kind of makes sense that specific memories of a given life may be tied purely to the physical body. When you die, your soul (or whatever survives death) might retain only incomplete snippets of memory. Perhaps it's like early childhood. Most of us have no specific memories - only vague...
  16. SkepticalX

Magnet Fishing & Odd Objects 'Caught'

Oddly enough, I just bought a magnet to try my hand at this. Luckily, the Luftwaffe was not known for its attacks on Southwest Ohio.
  17. SkepticalX

Specifics

For years, this has been a pain point for me with alleged alien encounters. The preachy stuff these Zeta Reticulans come up with tell us nothing we couldn't have gotten from a brief, tedious conversation with Al Gore. They never tell us anything we don't already know, which (to me) indicates...
  18. SkepticalX

How Old Is The Forum & Who Were The Earliest Members?

I've been a member for 11 years and yet I've only posted fewer than 250 times. Hmmm... perhaps I should be hypnotized and regressed for possible "missing time" episodes.
  19. SkepticalX

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

I remember my wife and I sitting in a theater in 1982 waiting for the film to start. A young couple walked in with a child, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I saw them smile at the child and say, "It's got Han Solo in it!" Five minutes into the film, they were gone. Guess there were no online reviews...
  20. SkepticalX

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

The key word there being... what... "fiction"?
  21. SkepticalX

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

So Doctorow quit high school, got a GED, and attended four universities without ever earning a degree. Seems like the kind of guy I want to provide expert opinions on artificial intelligence and climatology. He is also described as an activist and a journalist. Sorry, you only get to be one...
  22. SkepticalX

Jesus Christ Is Michael Jackson's Daughter

Poor Jesus. He is such an easy target. And his followers are really a rather forgiving lot. Now, if someone really wants to be edgy, cast Paris Jackson as Mohammed.
  23. SkepticalX

Wooden Penis To The Rescue

Well, I'll be a son of a birch... ;)
  24. SkepticalX

Theatre Ghosts

The New Amsterdam Theater in New York is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of silent film actress, Olive Thomas. Thomas played the theater in her early days with the Ziegfeld Follies. She apparently returned and took-up residence after her tragic death in 1920 due to what appears to have...
  25. SkepticalX

Portage County, Ohio UFO Chase (April 1966)

I grew up in NE Ohio and actually remember, as a kid, this story hitting all the local newspapers. The thing I do not remember is that there were any photos taken of the object. There surely were none in the contemporary accounts - perhaps the image surfaced only much later. I do see that the...
  26. SkepticalX

Adventures In Sleep Paralysis

I saw a commercial last night for a pharmaceutical and, for the first time I recall, it identified sleep paralysis as a symptom of sleep apnea. I am wondering if any of our SP experiencers have ever been diagnosed with this condition.
  27. SkepticalX

U.S. Civil War Widows

I worked with a guy back in the 1980s who told me he was the grandson of a '49-er, meaning he was one of those who headed to California in 1849 to participate in the Gold Rush. I asked him how that could be possible and he explained that his grandfather didn't have a son (my friend's dad) until...
  28. SkepticalX

Religious Group's End-Times Ad Causes Uproar (Nashville; June 2020)

Yes, it's all nonsense... until it's not.
  29. SkepticalX

Shortwave Number Stations

I have been fascinated with numbers stations as well. It seems like old tech but, as such, it is the perfect place to hide in plain sight. That being said, I don't think all numbers stations are used for espionage as such. It would seem that some are used for navigational purposes - but...
  30. SkepticalX

Ted Phillips Has Died

Ted Phillips, one of the most respected UFO researchers in the US has passed away at age 78. I had the honor of interviewing Ted by phone about 10 years ago. At that time he was hard at work investigating a site in MIssouri called Marley Woods. Here is Kevin Randle's recent article...
  31. SkepticalX

Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

Ted Phillips, one of the most respected UFO researchers in the US has passed away at age 78. I had the honor of interviewing Ted by phone about 10 years ago. At that time he was hard at work investigating a site in MIssouri called Marley Woods. Here is Kevin Randle's recent article...
  32. SkepticalX

Prehistoric Footprints & The Story Of Humanity

The idea of human numbers is an interesting one. There were 1-10 million people 10,000 years ago and 7.5 billion now. I assume that kind of growth could have happened in any 10,000-year period over the last 200,000 years but then, that would require periodic mass extinctions, evidence of which...
  33. SkepticalX

If All Doubt Were Gone...

I'm thinking back on how many times I've seen this question asked on UFO forums of one type or another in the last 20 years. (Dr. Wu - seems like Carol Nistri used to ask it at least once a month :) ). It's hard to know how exactly I would feel. My feeling is that, even if the aliens came...
  34. SkepticalX

Prehistoric Footprints & The Story Of Humanity

I've always been somewhat enamored with the idea that in the 200,000 or so years modern homo sapiens have been around, there's been ample opportunity for civilization to rise and fall several times. However, with all these fossilized footprints showing up, it would seem to make that notion...
  35. SkepticalX

Amelia Earhart

I work for an Aviation company and once had my office in a building that supposedly had an Amelia Earhart conference room. Unfortunately, I could never find it. ;)
  36. SkepticalX

Black, Swirling Mass

When the pony tail moved, I assume you detected no movement in your girlfriend's head? If her pony tail was on the back of her head and she was facing you, could you really see the moment of "contact" - can you really be sure her hair moved due to some action by the object? Is it possible...
  37. SkepticalX

Word Of The Day

"Dirigible" - not such an unusual word but I just recently discovered that it is an adjective as well as a noun. As an adjective, it means "capable of being steered." So your car is, in fact, dirigible. :)
  38. SkepticalX

Robot Round-Up

I think there is still plenty of room for non-biological robots. Organic devices will always be limited to slow evolution . Worse yet, you'll be faced with the ethical question of killing your defective or obsolete versions. Mechanical devices can be improved in place - new chips or...
  39. SkepticalX

Fish Smell Syndrome (Trimethylaminuria)

Reminds me of the old joke about the man who complains to his doctor that he feels great but he smells bad. Looking in his medical books, the doctor replies, "It says here, you're a vagina."
  40. SkepticalX

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

737s are fully capable of flying with one engine (including take-off and landing). The engines on these are extensively tested for bird strike survivability (including chucking frozen turkeys into them). Not sure if they now test for drone ingestion, but I would not be surprised if they do...
  41. SkepticalX

Where The Hell Are The Flying Cars? It's The 21st Century!

I think that flying cars won't be truly practical until you can deliver very large amounts of energy from a relatively lightweight power source. The Mr. Fusion reactor from Back To The Future comes to mind. If you had that kind of energy available, you could generate a magnetic field to allow...
  42. SkepticalX

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

This seems like a perfect opportunity to test the effectiveness of our EMP weapons. Can't stage a cyber attack if you fry their electronics.
  43. SkepticalX

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

I've heard cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny... ;)
  44. SkepticalX

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

It seems to me that the concept of climate change is based on the assumption that Earth is a steady-state system. But I think the geological record would show that it is anything but. The Earth has always been a dynamic environment and has evolved both gradually and drastically any number of...
  45. SkepticalX

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

Taking climate change out of the equation, I still think there are sound, ecological programs that deserve support. I think reforestation efforts make sense on many levels, not the least of which is trees' ability to sequester carbon dioxide.
  46. SkepticalX

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

Decades ago, when I was in my 20s, I had a series of what I can only describe as dreams. They were more like a semi-conscious awareness rather than a typical dream but, in them, I had committed a murder. The experiences had no plot but, rather, centered on my absolute dread of being caught. I...
  47. SkepticalX

Expensive & Exclusive Food

I always thought Baby Spice was pretty precious. ;) (... I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want)
  48. SkepticalX

Facebook Moderators' Burdens: Stress; Burnout; Etc.

Josef Goebbels supposedly said "Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth." Perhaps these moderators are unwitting victims of this - they see the fake news so often, they themselves start to believe it or , at least, become desensitized to it. I was discussing this with Bigfoot just...
  49. SkepticalX

Facebook Moderators' Burdens: Stress; Burnout; Etc.

Maybe it's some variation on Stockholm Syndrome.
  50. SkepticalX

Robot Round-Up

I admit I didn't catch-on to the fact this was CGI until the final scene. The scary thing is, Boston Dynamics is probably only a couple of years away from developing such a robot for real.
Back