• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. C

Uncon 2009 - the "official" suggestions thread

:D Does that make me a Fortean Pied Piper?
  2. C

Uncon 2009 - the "official" suggestions thread

If it is on Halloween next year, plenty of notice would be appreciated. I had already booked something and so had to miss the whole thing which was a bit of a blow. I like the idea of an evening do. I've spent too many hours wandering about with other forteans trying to decide where to eat...
  3. C

UnCon 2008 - The Official Suggestions Thread

Would love to come, (My fave speaker is always Gail-Nina Anderson!) but unfortunately I already have stuff booked for Halloween. I am gutted.
  4. C

Not the UnCon: FTMB MegaMeet?

I'd certainly be up for it, but I'd better make it just a tentative yes since I'd need to consult with the oracle at home.
  5. C

anyone fancy a pint?

Damn, the price you pay for trying to cover up drunken behaviour. Still, it probably is my round. :?
  6. C

anyone fancy a pint?

:shock: Me? Me get pissed at Fort meets? Are you insane? Who has been spreading these foul rumours? Don't say a word Stormkhan. Or you Anome. In fact no-one that has met me is allowed to comment unless it's to back me up.;) So sevenish at the Lord Russell? Hopefully we shall be there, if...
  7. C

anyone fancy a pint?

The Lord Russell is a good pub- even if it gets a bit busy, there are always the tables outside from which we can taunt tourists. (No, we're not tourists, we're different.) Anyway, if we're not too knackered from the journey down from Edinburgh we may turn up.
  8. C

wristbands

I ordered mine last week and recieved them last week. I think that you need to phone up and enquire as to where yours have gone, zarathustraspake.
  9. C

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

You need proof to go to war? When did that rule come into play? I thought that you just had to be sure of making a nice fat profit for you and your friends. I'm sorry, did I just leak some cynical bile? :wink:
  10. C

UnCon 2006

If I can get the weekend off from work I'll be there! Sadly I won't be able to share the experience that is thew Fortean dorm at the Generator this time. I am sincerely gutted about this of course, but his Lordship insists. I'm looking forward to seeing Gail- Nina ( I've enjoyed all her...
  11. C

UnCon 2006

Flash, wasn't it Stan Gooch, not Graham Hancock that you had such an enervating debate with? Didn't Graham Hancock drop out that year? I'd like to see Gail-Nina again- I've never met one of her talks that I didn't love. And I'll second the nomination for Gordon to another fungi-tastic talk...
  12. C

Needle Panics

We recently had this one circulated at work. It was attached with the comment that management believed it to be a real situation and for everyone to be vigilant. I managed to resist sending them a link to Snopes. :wink:
  13. C

Unusual Attacks

Perhaps they wanted to melt it so it would drip out? Actually I'm stopping right there. I don't want to think about it anymore. :(
  14. C

Celery

Well, the tiny calories in celery may initially sound good, but when you realise that celery is just a vehicle for lots of cheese it all becomes a bit irrelevant. :wink:
  15. C

Emergency contact

They were talking about it on Virgin radio. I don't know if it truly is from the Ambulance Services, but they also said that whether it was or not, it's a bloody good idea.
  16. C

The Blind Dead

Yeah, it's the coffin shaped boxes that will make people talk. :roll: :tongue:
  17. C

ESP / Remote Viewing / Telepathy Experiment

A plastic elephant.
  18. C

...At The James Randi Educational Foundation

LA was finally banned because of a personal attack on a member that was being pretty innocuous. Not a tongue lashing in sight. As I said at the time, if you're on a last warning and there are at least three Mods present on the board, abusing someone isn't the brightest thing to do. Just...
  19. C

Faking Blindness / Deafness

We used to have a woman come in to work who insisted that all her food was cut up into little pieces because she was blind (Sandwiches had to be cut into eight for instance.) and I always maintained that she wanted her food cut up for other reasons. She used to come in on her own and even on her...
  20. C

Batman Begins

I saw it on Friday and loved it. Admittedly I'm easily pleased, but I found it funny, tense and engaging. The Scarecrow was quite disturbing and the obligatory romance wasn't too much to the forefront- a double thumbs up. :wink:
  21. C

Transmitters

There's a website- www.followus.co.uk where you can track where your phone is if you put your name down. Soong has it on my phone, mainly because of my tendency to be off all over the country at a moments notice, and his horrific memory when I tell him that I'm off.
  22. C

The Police Diary Scam

The one that I've had in almost every pub/hotel that I've worked at is when you get a caller asking if you'd like your usual order of till roll reciepts. The unwary will say "Yes please" and you get loads of over priced and wrong sized till rolls arrive. In my experience they've always just been...
  23. C

Like Goes To Like, Apparently (Pacific 'Condom Reef' Story)

It's very odd. Snopes reckons it's not true. http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/reef.asp Link is dead.
  24. C

My Crazy Luck

On an island in the Bahamas enjoying his millions? :wink:
  25. C

Poisonous stickers...

As always, snopes have this one covered, here.
  26. C

The Uncyclopedia

I'm getting the idea that you're not getting much work done today.......... :wink:
  27. C

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

It's Dr. Who! You're *supposed* to hide behind the sofa! That said, I didn't actually see it so couldn't possibly comment on whether it was suitable or appropriate viewing. :wink:
  28. C

The Uncyclopedia

I like it. it really knows what it's talking about- as this proves. 8)
  29. C

Premonition

The tsunami elephant story was investigated on Snopes here. That's not to say that I don't believe that some animals are sensitive to atmospheric changes. Many animals use senses in different ways to humans- dogs hear sounds that humans can't etc. I'd like to believe that animals can sense...
  30. C

What is the dress code in heaven?

Well, I'm thinking that your wardrobe in heaven will be comprised of comfortable, yet incredibly flattering wear. Practical too. And no dog hairs. Ever. EDIT Apparently when I'm a bit tiddly I can't spell.
  31. C

Spreading The Good Word: How many converts have you made?

Soong used to just read my old copies, now he has a subscription. That's one firm convert! on the other hand, my brother, Mrs. Soong and others read the FT when they see it in the flat. But they don't buy it themselves, so not really a true convert. I also introduced it to a colleague for her...
  32. C

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

But back to Bill Bailey........... :wink: Sorry, what? This is a Dr. Who thread? Spoilsports. :( *Cider wanders off, muttering*
  33. C

Why you shouldn't put the Pope in cryogenic storage

One wonders if they still actually do it or whether they take a "let's not, and say we did" kind of attitude. And what happens if he has a muscle spasm at the critical moment? Feel the fear boys!
  34. C

Batteries

We had a bit of a "Cider is scarily stupid" moment last week. The Destroyer of Souls had been bought a toy car by a relative and it stopped working, so he bought it to me. After fiddling with it for a bit, I opened up the battery casement and there was oily stuff all over it. So I rub it into my...
  35. C

The Tea Thread

I don't understand. How do you dunk your biccies in a tablet? :confused:
  36. C

Magnetic / Gravity / Mystery Hills (Where Things 'Roll Uphill')

There's also Electric Brae (Brai? I have no idea how to spell it.)on the West coast of Scotland. It is apparently an optical illusion, but it does work! We had great fun playing on it.
  37. C

The Upton Chamber

Ahh, of course. It must have been the monks. If you are a farmer then you wouldn't have any interest in esoteria or any sort of spiritual exploration. And of course hardly anyone from Ireland went over to America, so it couldn't have been someone already familiar with the original chamber...
  38. C

The Tea Thread

I love hot sweet tea. Tea is always good. It also tastes better when drunk outside. My Dad and I always used to have a cuppa in the pavilion during half time at the football and it always tasted wonderful whether sugared or not. Earl Grey always tastes like someone has emptied an ashtray into it...
  39. C

Privileges For Kimono Wearers

When I was there about fifteen years ago, it was very common to see young women in Kimonos. However, if I remember rightly it was only for some sort of coming of age ceremony. I think maybe when they turned 20? Or something. (Hey, I was a teenager- I mostly just cared about what my mates were...
  40. C

Forgotten Dangers

We had posters go up at the start of the academic year, but they seem to have lost interest lately.
  41. C

The Synaesthesia Thread

This reminds me of the savant Daniel Tammet. I wonder if synesthesia is a mild form of autism? or perhaps there is no connection at all- perhaps it's just the imagery that Daniel uses to explain what goes on in his mind.
  42. C

Strange Gargling Phone Call From An Unplugged Phone

"Touching cotton" is talking about poo coming out (Usually because of fear.) when you're not on the toilet and therefore touching the cotton of your underpants. It's a variation of "crapping yourself". There, that was decorous, wasn't it? :wink:
  43. C

Static Electricity: Shocks & Other Effects Therefrom ...

I've been generating loads of the stuff in the past few days at work, because I was wearing my big sturdy boots. I hate it, so I've bought shoes to change into. Perhaps you've been dragging your feet a bit more recently? (Yes, that's clutching at straws indeed. ;) )
  44. C

Worst Movie EVER?

I was watching a film the night before last and had no clue what it was at first. Then I decided that it couldn't possibly be an actual film, I must have fallen asleep and was dreaming it. But no, it was Highlander III in which they pretend that the first two films never existed and make up a...
  45. C

Fundamentalist swimwear

Of course they shouldn't have to censor their speech on their own web-sites. But the world wide web is available to all sorts of people, so they should be aware that they may be open to criticism, just as any of us here are.
  46. C

Fundamentalist swimwear

I would just like to state for the record that this "Lady of Purple" bird has no connection to me, Queen of the World and Mostly of Purple Sparkly Things. (Just a reminder- all twenty quid notes actually belong to me, so save them up and send them to me and I'll make you a knight or something...
  47. C

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

I played Emily Davison in our college production of Epsom Downs. Spooky. :D
  48. C

Strange Experience with BBC3 (Odd Static Image)

The thing in the bottom right hand corner looks (to me) like a thumb. Could it be a hand holding the jaw bone of something and the screen/ film/tape or whatever has gone wonky?
  49. C

A Bizarre & Nasty Haunting

Raven, I found this on Snopes about the handprints on cars thing.
  50. C

Part but Apart

Ooo, I hadn't done that one. I scored 73, but mainly because I got carried away, going yes, Yes! YES! The way it was worded meant that the grain of truth led to me pressing yes. Apparently I have been contacted by aliens. I'd much rather have a night time visit from Jack O'Neill. :wink:
Back