• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. catseye

Aleister Crowley

I think this poor lady may be in need of psychological help. There isn't even any PROOF that the pendant belonged to Crowley. I mean 'is believed to have belonged' is doing a LOT of heavy lifting in that article.
  2. catseye

UFOs In Old Paintings In Verona (And Jim Morrison In 16th century)

It's almost as if nobody in the history of ever, has ever resembled anyone else! https://www.liveabout.com/art-museum-doppelgangers-4154789
  3. catseye

BPS: 'Will The Debate About ‘Psi’ Ever Be Settled?'

To be truly scientific, shouldn't that article intro read 'they contravene the laws of science as we currently understand them.'? Doesn't this just fall into the Victorian trap of 'we know everything there is to know'? Like the new avatar, @Paul_Exeter.
  4. catseye

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Isn't transdimensional just the new swamp gas?
  5. catseye

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

There has been quite a lot of fuss made - it hit the national media when the decision was made to tell the owners to 'rebuild exactly as was'. If anything else happens to the site some uncomfortable questions will need to be answered and it might just be enough to ensure that at least an...
  6. catseye

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

What POSSIBLE grounds can they have to appeal? Other than 'it's going to be expensive and we don't want to'?
  7. catseye

Time Or Dimensional Slips

That was my precise thought. 'The psychic'. She's already predisposed to a perception of events which might be (politely) a little over-imaginative. I wondered about a TIA and 'altered reality'; my daughter in law suffers from epileptic seizures and says that everything can feel very 'alternate...
  8. catseye

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

What were the results? Sorry, I haven't read this month's edition yet and it might take me a while to get round to it. I know that humans are notoriously bad at estimating size.
  9. catseye

Cerne Abbas Giant

Not sure I'd be happy putting that in my mouth...
  10. catseye

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Or the Snark. A unicorn would probably be good for creeping up on a Snark.
  11. catseye

Phantom Heat

I have sometimes noticed walking past people that some seem to give off a lot of heat without apparently 'being warm'. I used to work with a man who always felt 'warm' when I stood near him. Maybe it's the same thing - they are just hot people. When I ask them, they don't say that they are...
  12. catseye

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

I wonder whether there would be any mileage in someone setting up an actual experiment (possibly for YouTube), where members of the public are asked to guess the size of an animal from various distances? What we'd need are some interested bystanders, a few cats of various sizes, a few acres of...
  13. catseye

White Feathers

I have a down coat that I acquired when my son grew out of it. I use it for dog walking now because it's cosy. It has a small rip in and I leave a trail of feathers wherever I go - those very little fine ones. Perhaps I am an angel?
  14. catseye

Did M.R. James Ever Meet A Ghost?

Found myself watching this last night. Talks about M R James' past, but with emphasis on his scholarly activities - some excellent pictures of the man himself and his background. Him seeing ghosts is not mentioned.
  15. catseye

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'm just oiled. I think this might be my first mistake because these trousers are ruined now.
  16. catseye

Isn't this very similar to the old 'selling of pardons' back in Chaucer's era? Making money out of what might possibly happen to you after death?
  17. catseye

Lego Heads In Mugshots?

To be honest, he still looks good.... but yes, in his heyday :itslove:
  18. catseye

White Feathers

Also, following the prosaic tone, feathers are very very light and unaerodynamic (when not attached to birds). They can get in through tiny cracks, under doors and also float a considerable distance away from Certain Bird Death. I'd like to think white feathers 'mean' something, but out here in...
  19. catseye

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Had two weird ones last night. There was a generalised evacuation of my town going on, with people grabbing bundles of stuff and moving out. A friend of my daughter was there with her toddler daughter, getting ready to be picked up and the child had been sick. Her mother said 'it smells like...
  20. catseye

You see, I don't mind academic writing. It's lovely when a subject is taken seriously and I don't even mind a little bit of 'dry'. I'd take that over squealing and running away any time.
  21. catseye

Terry Pratchett

I knew that because it was on his narrator bio. But I thought I'd check him out, and found out about his pedigree!
  22. catseye

Terry Pratchett

And curiosity led me to check out Alfred Enoch and I found that he is William Russell's son (from the original Dr Who). I have just completed the (unknown to anyone but me) 'Tie Together Two Threads challenge' and claim my £5!
  23. catseye

Terry Pratchett

SO much of an audio book is in the narration. A good narrator can make an otherwise quite tedious book interesting (and vice versa). I have an audio version of one of my books that I literally cannot listen to - in fact I asked to have it re-recorded (not possible, apparently) because the...
  24. catseye

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

There used to be a fabulous advert on TV (I think for a bank), where the final line was 'got change for a guinea pig?' Used to make me laugh like a drain.
  25. catseye

I'm with you on that. Crowley is an interesting psychological study - as a man with a huge ego rather than as a 'wizard'. And very much of his time. a sort of turn of the century Malcolm McClaren.
  26. catseye

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

Swimming is great for exercise but, sadly is becoming less and less easily accessible. Many of the local pools have closed down, it can be an expensive gig just to get in to a pool if the Council run ones are all closed and you have to go to a local gym. The government attempts to save money...
  27. catseye

Lego Heads In Mugshots?

I quite fancy number 5.
  28. catseye

I read it once, years ago, and wish I could remember where I got it from....
  29. catseye

I don't find fairies boring as such though. I'm fascinated by the psychology (and I suppose that extends to the 'creatures in the woods) stories too) that creates these things. Not so much the WHAT of fairies, but the WHY.
  30. catseye

Although the point of this thread is what do you find boring, not what do you find plausible... I must admit that, whilst I find the idea of creatures, coporeal or non-corporeal, living in the wilds of the UK interesting, I'm not keen on the stories that turn them into Bigfoot. I love the idea...
  31. catseye

Harry Potter

I think film and books are two different things (well, obviously...). MM has been in the films and can therefore pass opinion on filming etc, but I don't really think she should pass any opinion on the books or the readers thereof. I can understand her frustration with the obsessive fans, but...
  32. catseye

Gnomes In Little Red Cars? (Wollaton Park Gnomes; 1979)

Not Polish construction workers then?
  33. catseye

For me it's hypnotic regression. It has some of the same lack of interest as people telling you about their (very involved and detailed) dream. It's of interest only to them, it's all in their mind and it's been influenced by things they've read, seen, heard and been told. Although I do admit...
  34. catseye

Modern Urban Legends?

Over on Mumsnet at the moment there's a discussion going on about whether children are being sold vapes laced with Spice. Apparently it's an epidemic and children are dying and being carted off to hospital all over the place, OR it's not a thing and the children are overindulging in normal vapes...
  35. catseye

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

Per serving. And no, it doesn't always tell you what 'A Serving' looks like. Look at breakfast cereal. It will say 'A 30g serving will give you.....' whatever the nutritional information is. A 30g serving barely covers the bottom of the bowl, it is not 'a serving' by any stretch of the...
  36. catseye

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Last night I dreamed I was sitting on the sofa next to my friend (who is deceased irl). She was wrapped in a blanket and fidgeting about, which was annoying me. She seemed to have urinated or spilled a drink because there was a spreading wet patch on the seat between us. Over in a doorway...
  37. catseye

People Who Feel Wrong

What about all those people living with invisible conditions? Illnesses or disabilities that maybe nobody other than their nearest and dearest knows they have? They have no allowances made for them or understanding given to them, and I think I'd call them braver than those living with very...
  38. catseye

People Who Feel Wrong

But the choice was made to run into the building. Nobody will round up all the bystanders and shout at them for NOT running into the building. The personal choice - self over other people's safety - is what makes it brave, I think.
  39. catseye

People Who Feel Wrong

That is what I would term bravery. Living with a condition isn't brave, it's living.
  40. catseye

People Who Feel Wrong

This question of 'bravery' meaning 'survival' has often puzzled me. When they show programmes lauding the 'bravery' of a child - usually giving that child an award - 'poor little Edward was born with no arms, legs or head but has gone to school every day and now has seven GCSEs and is going on...
  41. catseye

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

Also we have to stop thinking of the feeling of hunger as being somehow 'the enemy'. You see people shoving in 'snacks' only an hour after eating, simply because they've had a twinge of nibblishness. Feeling hungry won't kill anyone. When I was young (in the Dark Ages) there WERE no snacks. You...
  42. catseye

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

I'm not talking about Big Macs though (which already have the calories displayed). I'm talking about small things, things that people consider a harmless 'snack'. Take a chocolate hobnob for example. The calories per 100g will be displayed on the packet. I have never weighed a hobnob. The packet...
  43. catseye

Harry Potter

Most people work hard for their money though and, whilst we don't owe our employers anything at all, if we were treated well by them and made a decent amount of money working for them, then I would have thought a 'nod, smile and acknowledgement' degree of loyalty might be called for. By all...
  44. catseye

Elephant Calves Found Buried—What Does It Mean?

Oh that's so sad.
  45. catseye

FT443

Mine has also just arrived. Maybe we have the same postman...
  46. catseye

People Who Feel Wrong

I have a regular customer who is on the autistic spectrum. I know this now, from having dealt with him for nearly ten years, but I can imagine that he gives some of the newer, younger members of staff some bad feelings, poor chap. He's obviously been having coaching in 'how to fit in with NTs'...
  47. catseye

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

By those lights though, aren't all families 'old'? I mean, all our families have been around since forever, otherwise WE wouldn't be here?
  48. catseye

Harry Potter

I kind of understand what she means, but she's underestimating how comforting literary worlds can be. They don't change, the characters are always there, always behaving the same way - for those who sometimes find the Real World a bit much, escaping into well-trodden book worlds offers a lot of...
  49. catseye

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

You would probably die of malnutrition though. That or sliding off the loo, through the door and cracking your head on the steps as you shot out of the house.
  50. catseye

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I don't think Stu has mind-controlled me.... does that mean that he definitely has? Anyway, better get on with stuffing these £50 notes into this envelope for him...
Back