• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. catseye

Underwater Ghosts

Just watching Curious World on YouTube, talking about Chew Valley lake and an apparent ghost of a girl from a farm which vanished when the valley was flooded. And it got me thinking. If ghosts are either memories imprinted on the surroundings (the Stone Tape theory) or some kind of timeslip by...
  2. catseye

Ghost! A Journey Into The Paranormal, Narrated By Christopher Lee

Watching this on YouTube. Anyone seen it? It's got our most recent 'most discussed photo of the woman's head on the table on. I haven't got to that bit yet but I'm keen to see what they say.
  3. catseye

Things That Make You Go 'Hmmmm...'

Reading a lot of IHTM-like stories from various sites and I have realised that I've got a long 'automatically discount' list, and an almost equally long 'hmmmm (one raised eyebrow) list. For example, I almost automatically discount any story that begins either 'I woke up and saw...' or 'I know...
  4. catseye

I Have Questions...

Last night, watching some True Ghost Stories stuff on YouTube - stories from Edinburgh, if I recall. Lots of tales about nuns falling in love with priests and being bricked up into walls, priests being hung in local trees - one blood curdling one about a woman who purposefully disfigured herself...
  5. catseye

Aphantasia & Mental Health

I've been reading (well, listening to) Dean Burnett's book The Idiot Brain, and I was interested in the chapter on mental health conditions such as psychosis where he was talking about many delusions being caused by the brain's inability to separate the 'internal monologue' from external voices...
  6. catseye

Judging A Ghost On Its Apparel

In consequence of the wondering on another thread about the ubiquity of 'nun ghosts', I started wondering. Are we judging ghosts simply by what they appear to be wearing? To anyone unfamiliar with costume history, isn't any ghostly woman wearing a head covering going to look like their only...
  7. catseye

Young Love: Teen Dating / Romance / Marriage

This discussion was spun off from: Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Case https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-case.68872/ I spend a lot of time over on Reddit and I am always ASTONISHED by the number of American couples having problems in their relationships...
  8. catseye

The 'Evil Smile'

I am interested in the 'archetypes' as mentioned by Hermes (quite a while ago now) in the Stocksbridge By-Pass thread. I took quite an interest in Road Ghosts a while back and something in Hermes account triggered my memory. It was to do with the 'evil smile' often reported on the face of Road...
  9. catseye

Has The Incidence Of 'Mysterious Deaths Near Water' Dropped?

It occurred to me the other day, amid reading more theories about 'pushers' killing people near water... has the incidence of 'mysterious' water based deaths dropped due to Covid lockdowns, and is it for the reasons we suspect? With university students being sent home and the usual levels of...
  10. catseye

North York Moors - Ghosts?

I was up walking the old railway line that goes around Rosedale on Christmas Day, in the snow. And I got to wondering - does anyone know of any ghost or ghost type stories regarding this old lime working line? Or, indeed, of the moors in general? I've looked about and all I can find is old folk...
  11. catseye

Things You Probably Should Have Considered, But Didn't

Does this have a name? It's those things that happen that weren't inevitable, in fact they may even have been slightly unlikely, but were still foreseeable by someone in the right frame of mind. For example, this happened to me only the other day. I was out running with my dog down our local...
  12. catseye

TV Updates

I've recently had a few days off work and amused myself by watching some 'Ghostly' programmes on Netflix and Prime. I started watching a moderately fascinating series called Ghost Hunters, written and narrated by the inestimable William Woolard. It was two series, made in 1994 and some of the...
  13. catseye

Strange Mail

I have quite an unusual surname, So when a friend found some postcards addressed to someone with my surname in a second hand shop, they bought them and gave them to me. The postcards were addressed to someone with my surname in Ilfracombe, North Devon. Not incredibly co incidental, since my...
  14. catseye

"I Described Her—And It Was His Dead Gran!"

I've read a few of these lately (not actually on here, but on a few other fora, where they've been asking for 'your most 'woo' experience', etc). Lots of 'I woke up in the night and an old lady was bending over me and when I woke up I described her to my husband and he said she sounded just like...
  15. catseye

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

Is this happening to anyone else? It must be something to do with living in a state of heightened crisis awareness, maybe extra adrenaline in my system, but for the last couple of weeks I've been having dreams that are far more vivid than usual. When I wake up I'm often gasping and it takes a...
  16. catseye

Trousers Smell Of Old Lady

Bear with me. Today I decided to change the bedding and, as is my wont, I also change my pyjamas. My clean sets live on top of a trunk in my bedroom, as I have problems with dust mite allergies so keep them in the open air. I picked up my pyjama set. These ones are brushed cotton, haven't been...
  17. catseye

Beliefs About Trees (Folklore; Associations; Attributions)

I was listening to Gardener's Question Time on my way to work on Sunday, and I heard a nine year old girl ask about planting rowan trees by the garden gate to keep witches away. The team laughed and only one said he'd ever heard of this... I thought it was common knowledge that rowan wood kept...
  18. catseye

Animals 'Naming Themselves'

Much like with children, I've always had a theory that animals 'choose' their own names. I was recently reminded about an event at school...I'd arrived early, and, wandering the carpark was a lurcher-type dog (the school was rural and near fields/woods etc). I caught her and took her in to the...
  19. catseye

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows? I laboured...
  20. catseye

Hashtag Pray

On my way to work yesterday I had Radio 4 on, and happened to catch a snippet (it's a very short drive to work) of this programme where they were discussion ghosts. The premise seemed to be that there was some dichotomy, with self-proclaimed atheists believing in (or at least admitting to...
  21. catseye

Old Dreams

My brother has recently sold the family home and moved out. He came to visit me last weekend, bearing a box full of my old things that haven't seen the light of day in about forty years. One of the things was an old school exercise book in which I'd kept a dream diary during 1978. I'd written...
  22. catseye

Memory Of 'Something'

Honestly, how long have I been here? And I haven't told the tale of the thing that started my interest in the paranormal, tch! We've just sold the family house, so it's safe enough to tell now, I guess. Our family home was a two bed terrace in Exeter, and to go to the loo you had to go up the...
  23. catseye

Maybe We've Got It The Wrong Way Round

Just a shower-thought I had today, bear with me... You know how people sometimes say that they feel 'a chill' or 'cold spot' somewhere, or a weird feeling, and then they get told 'oh yes, someone was murdered/died in that spot'. So they connect the two things and decide that the death caused...
  24. catseye

Odd Little Statue

For the last little howeverlong, I've had a brown statue on my shelf. It's been there probably six months to a year. Youngest daughter moved out of her Uni house around that time and I acquired a lot of her furniture. Whilst she was visiting the other weekend, I told her she might as well take...
  25. catseye

Half-Lucid Dreaming?

I dreamed last night about my dad, who died ten years ago (actually, almost to the day now I come to think of it). In my dream he was vaguely irritated with me, and I was telling him that I loved him. As the dream went on I could see that he was starting to look younger and younger, and I kept...
  26. catseye

False Homecoming

Caveat: I know there is probably a thread about this somewhere, but I don't know what it's called so can't search for it, and b) it didn't happen to me, but my daughter. I was on the late shift night before last, with a finish time of 10pm, so usually home around 10.20. When I got in, my...
  27. catseye

The Flickering Toilet Of Farewell?

We had a huge thunderstorm here on Wednesday, so I was late walking the dog. Took her for a short walk down the road as I had to start work at three, and I needed a shower, so dashed out, ran back and up to the bathroom. It was around 1pm (this is relevant). When I looked at the toilet I could...
  28. catseye

An Odd Bit Of Road

I was posting on another forum elsewhere yesterday (yes, they exist!) and it made me remember this... In May I drove over the Yorkshire Wolds to visit a friend in Lincoln. I was aiming to go over the Humber Bridge but, because I'd borrowed a Sat Nav from a tight Yorkshireman who'd programmed it...
Back