• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. B

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

After Karl Shuker's impressive £250,000 win on WWTBAM, another FT linked person is currently in the hotseat. James Plaskett - a previous contributer and reviewer for FT - is currently in the seat this week and ended tonight's programme (14/01/06) still going and on £8,000 with all life-lines...
  2. B

Tavistock Institute

Have been looking for some background to the Tavistock House conspiracy theories. Came across this article... http://www.rense.com/general12/twaa.htm It is a rather long article for posting on this site - so I will just put a few extracts.... And....the worst bit.... This is...
  3. B

ASKE

No - I'm not asking a question about the incorrectly spelt Italian "resturant" chain. Has anyone else come across this organisation? http://www.aske.org.uk/ There was an advert in the recent Private Eye to join this organisation - so I had a look. I like the randi style challenge...
  4. B

Watch Out: Beadlebubs About (Jeremy Beadle)

Originally posted on some thread about TV programmes. Now extracted for it's own thread (with amendments). quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by beakboo Don't forget, Fortis, that Jeremy Beadle is a fortean...
  5. B

James Randi—Discuss

Following on from the IHTM thread - I am opening a more general Randi thread in Parapsychology. In particular - to discuss his approach to investigation and his $1M challenge. So, far the Randi threads on the Forum seem to concentrate on specific events (and scandalous claims ;) ) To get...
  6. B

Mad Cat Flap Attack

OK - I am the proud owner of a cat - Daisy. She has access to the house via two cat doors - one from kitchen to garage - the other from garage to outside. At about 10:30 in the evening, the garage cat door is put on one way- so she can come back in - but not leave the house until we flick...
  7. B

Birth Order (Among Siblings) & Its Effects (Personality, Beliefs, Etc.)

By way of background - I am the youngest of 4 children. I am interested in Forteana. My eldest brother enjoys nothing more than (good naturedly) poo-pooing my choice of reading material and some of my less mainstream beliefs. In response to this, he purchased me a book by Micheal...
  8. B

Jehovah's Witnesses and Christmas

A question. Jehovah's Witnesses do not recognise christmas - fair enough. I work with a Jehovah's Witness and, for christmas, my department indulges in all manner of celebration and games. One of which is the classic "Secret Santa" (draw name of colleague from hat - buy them cheap...
  9. B

Neo-Darwinism

I thought to myself - there must be a thread on this - before I post - do a decent search - best not rankle the hackles of the mods for frivilous posting! Amazingly - I cannot find a thread discussing the pros and cons of our modern-day accepted concept of neo-Darwinism. Yet, this topic is...
  10. B

The Eye

Saw this well-respected Asian horror film last night. It has been vaunted as having some of the scariest scenes since the Exorcist. Personally, I didn't find it very scarey at all - just a rather interesting and entertaining story (if a little Sixth Sense). If you've seen it - what did...
  11. B

Courtroom Antics & Trial Oddities

This made me laugh. A lot. There is little funnier than the drunken antics of a Judge in a kebab house.................... "Judge accused of police station antics Martin Wainwright Wednesday September 24, 2003 The Guardian A drunken judge who blundered into an argument in a...
  12. B

Eat What You Want - Pay What You Think It Is Worth

I have heard tales of restaurants, usually in London, which offer the customer to eat whatever they want from the menu. There is no pricing and the customer pays whatever they think the meal was worth. Is this true? I have never been to such a restaurant and, on mentioning this possible...
  13. B

Query re: US National Statistics

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I am doing some research and would like to get hold of annual US Statistics for birth by gender - over as many years as possible - but preferably at least the last 30 years............. Managed to get UK info very easily - via the National...
  14. B

Richard Nagell & JFK

I am currently reading Robin Ramsay's "Who Shot JFK" book for Pocket Essentials. A damn good read it is too. Anyway, I am rather intrigued by Richard Nagell - a minor intelligence officer who apparently knew of the plans to kill JFK in advance of the event and was worried that he would be...
  15. B

Curse of Matrix Reloaded

Also relates to the Movie Urban Legend Thread...... http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,945323,00.html "Curse of Reloaded Tuesday April 29, 2003 The Guardian The R&B singer Aaliyah, who had been signed to play Zee in The Matrix Reloaded, died in a plane crash in August...
  16. B

FT171 & FT172 - are they getting earlier?

FT171 - are they getting earlier? Received FT171 in the post this morning. Wasn't expecting it yet - it is not even May yet - and this is the June edition. Not complaining at all (nice surprise) but, are they getting earlier? I notice that the July edition is scheduled for 31 May. I...
  17. B

Galloway on Iraqi Payroll?

Not sure if this should also be in the Conspiracy section.......Daily Torygraph up to their usual tricks............... http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthemedia/story/0,12823,941141,00.html "Galloway threatens to sue Telegraph Ciar Byrne Tuesday April 22, 2003 Galloway...
  18. B

Loyalty / Reward Cards

So, who has them? If not, why not? They save a load of money - but I have a fair few friends who refuse to use them due to worry of "Big Brother" monitoring of our activites. I have Nectar, Tesco Clubcard and Homebase reward card. It does not bother me that Sainsbury's (through my...
  19. B

Nero: Was He The Monster We Thought He Was?

NOTE: The pre-2020 posts quoted here represent excerpts illustrating the mainstream view of Nero as something of a super-villain. ... Thanks to Google, I have found the following passage direct from Tacitus' Annals............. "But not all the relief that could come from man, not all the...
  20. B

Reality TV Show Swindle

Did anyone else see this programme - absolutely hilarious. Nik Russian should be allowed to make a follow up!
  21. B

University of Avalon

I see that the famed University of Avalon has now changed its name............see link.......... http://www.isleofavalonfoundation.com/ Has anyone attended?
  22. B

The Bush League

Please find below an unedited disucssion between Fraterlibre and me. It has been posted unedited and I hope that it makes sense when you read it (i.e. who said what! - Fraterlibre's replies are the parts starting with a "--"). It also explains why it has been brought into the main forum (along...
  23. B

Chillis

I recently ate a bag of Golden Wonder curry flavoured crisps and it occured to me that they had no oral value save for the fact that they were spicey hot and made my mouth burn - a strangely pleasurable sensation (if you're that way inclined). This got me thinking - why should chillis (and...
  24. B

Private Eye Classifieds

Following on from the fascinating thread in the "Religions and Cults" section about the regular mysterious classified ads - I have a question. As a reader of Private Eye for the last couple of years, I have often seen classified ads between "Capitaine" and "Sous-Fifre." At first I assumed...
  25. B

M&S: Subliminal Clothes Selling (Aroma / Scent Added To Goods)

My wife recently bought some "night wear" in M&S - nothing exciting - purely practical (unfortunately). Anyway, when she got it home and wore it on that night, she noticed that it smelled heavily of something sweet and slightly cloying. She asked me to check it, and it blatantly smelt of a...
  26. B

The X in Xmas & Xtianity

I have a confession to make. When the term "Xtian" was first used on this message board, I had to do an internet search to find out what was meant. I have a question - when people use "Xtian" instead of "Christian" - is there an underlying statement? By this, I mean, does the use of this...
  27. B

Anyone seen K-Pax

Anyone seen K-Pax yet? Sounds like an interesting movie - and appears to have been well reviewed.
  28. B

Universal Life Church

Today, a friend of mine arranged for me to become ordained in The Universal Life Church. Apparently, I am now an ordained minister in their religion and can "LEGALLY" officiate in weddings etc. See...... http://www.ulc.org/ Is this for real? I'm not saying I will start my own...
  29. B

Colin Wilson

I am fascinated by Colin Wilson. Before developing a taste in Forteana, I was aware of him through reading The Outsider, A Criminal History of Mankind and his autobiography - all of which are exceptionally intelligent and erudite books. Once my interest in the world of the unusual had...
Back