• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. CallMeKenneth

Texan Monster Spider Web

That could've been caterpillars rather than spiders - some of the ermine moths have larvae that spin communal webs on trees & shrubs, and sometimes can defoliate entire trees. Have a look here for more info & pics: http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4475
  2. CallMeKenneth

snake hunter question

The guy you're thinking of is CJP Ionides. There's a book about him here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CM33N
  3. CallMeKenneth

Any Entomologists about?

It's definitely a larva of some sort. It looks similar to the Lobster Moth caterpillar (found in the UK), which you can see here: http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=838 As you can see, the second and third pairs of true legs (as opposed to the prolegs) are elongated, like those of your...
  4. CallMeKenneth

Mystery Wasp

True, many hoverflies are wasp mimics, but none have the long antennae that this beast has. If it's not a Bembix, then it may be a sawfly (which includes woodwasps).
  5. CallMeKenneth

Mystery Wasp

Looks like it could be a Bembix, one of the family Sphecidae. Have a look here and see what you think: http://www.faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=223
  6. CallMeKenneth

Superbaby Fails to Stop Train

Sorry, but your suspicion is entirely correct. I know it's fashionable aongst us late 30-somethings to wax nostalgic about the programmes of our childhood, but the fact is they were better - is there anything nowadays like the opening lines of Noggin the Nog? "In the lands of the North, where...
  7. CallMeKenneth

Antarctic UFO pics?

There is a photo in Paul Devereux's book "Earthlights" of a "black ray of light" emerging from a cloud, and striking the ground, in Antartica. I wonder if this is what you mean. Interestingly, the black ray seems to be reflected back from the ground.
  8. CallMeKenneth

Swallowing Deadly Chewing Gum / Bubble Gum

I found this on another forum: Confession of Gum Swallower: This is the confession of a gum-swallower. I admit it. For as long as I can remember, I have always swallowed my bubble gum instead of throwing it out. This used to be a major subject of contention with my mother when I was a...
  9. CallMeKenneth

Feathered / Flying Dinosaurs & The Evolution Of Birds

This site has some articles on the relationship between birds and dinosaurs (admittedly argued from the point of view that birds are descended from dinosaurs), including two which deal with the problem of dinosaur and bird hands: http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/jdp.htm
  10. CallMeKenneth

The Largest Spider Fossil That Never Was

Good question. I did a google on horseshoe crab, and found this: http://www.horseshoecrab.org/anat/anat9.html From the diagram it looks like horseshoe crabs have extensor muscles (is there anyone who knows about anatomy who can confirm or deny this?), so maybe the same was true for...
  11. CallMeKenneth

The Largest Spider Fossil That Never Was

Tarantulas also have book lungs, but one of the factors limiting their maximum size is to do with the way they move. The leg of a tarantula (and spiders in general) only have flexor muscles - in order to extend the leg, the spider uses blood pressure (in the same way a high pressure hose will...
  12. CallMeKenneth

Swearwords Originating As Acronyms

An old name for the Kestrel was 'Windfucker'. If fuck meant to strike or beat against, this describes perfectly how a Kestrel is able to hover.
  13. CallMeKenneth

The Backwards Forehead Tattoo

I remember that story, although I recall the tatoo reading "F*ck Off And Die", and when it went to court, his defence counsel suggested (not entirely seriously) that he have the words "Please Don't" tattoed in front, so it would no longer be threatening!
  14. CallMeKenneth

Secret World Of Children's Chants

We three kings of Orient are selling knickers 10 pence a pair they're fantastic, no elastic that's why our bums are bare
  15. CallMeKenneth

A Rumination On Cuckoos & Their Laying Strategy

Wasps of the family Chrysididae use this strategy, and are known as cuckoo wasps. Most of the UK species prey on solitary wasps and bees, laying their eggs in the hosts nest. When the eggs hatch, the larva eats the host egg or young larva, then devours the hosts food store. This particular...
  16. CallMeKenneth

The Truck Driver's Delivery to the Gay Bar UL.

I was told a similar story by a colleague who heard it first hand from a colleague of his in his previous job. Apparently this guy used to be a copper in the vice squad, and was called to some public toilets (ladies) in Redcar. What had happened was that some guy had stuck his knob through a...
  17. CallMeKenneth

Giant Dragonfly

Sounds like a Beautiful Demoiselle, a type of damselfly. The British Dragonfly Society, at http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frameset.htm?home&home has plenty of info & pictures
  18. CallMeKenneth

Giant Dragonfly

The largest dragonfly in the UK is the Emperor, with a wingspan of up to 150mm, and a body length of up to 84mm. Formerly found only in the south of the country, they have spread northwards (global warming?), and are a regular sight on Teesside, where I live. I work as a Nature Reserve warden...
  19. CallMeKenneth

Mercury droplets in oranges

Yes, I remember this - wasn't it oranges from Israel, which had been poisoned by Palestinian terrorists? I recall that I wouldn't eat oranges for some time afterwards.
  20. CallMeKenneth

Weird tv drama/comedy of the 80's

"The Edge of Darkness", it's available on DVD.
  21. CallMeKenneth

Moths Alive!

I think it's a Scorched Wing - this photo isn't brilliant, but the illustration in my "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" looks more like it.
  22. CallMeKenneth

Anti-goth grant returned

Some years ago, the GF and I were approached in a local park by a woman who asked us if we were "Gothics". God knows why, at the time I had long hair, a nose ring, and was probably wearing combat trousers and big DMs, while the GF may have had one item of tie-dye - hardly Morticia Adams. Anyway...
  23. CallMeKenneth

Camel spiders

Camel spiders, aka sun spiders or wind spiders can be bought as pets - take a look at this link http://www.bugsdirectuk.com/otherinverts.html Although I keep tarantulas, and have bred them in the past, I've never tried one of these as they are supposed to be difficult to keep in captivity...
  24. CallMeKenneth

The Williams Petradox / Enigmalith (Stone With Embedded Plug)

My initial thought was that it's a "hot-rock", an artficial stone with a heating element inside it, used by reptile keepers to heat their animals, like this one: http://www.zoomed.com/html/rock_heaters.php If it is though, it's a fairly poor one, as it would need a separate plug and lead...
  25. CallMeKenneth

Man Attempts to nail himself to a cross

Neil did this gag in episode of "The Young Ones"
  26. CallMeKenneth

Three-Headed Frog? Nope—It's A Mating Ball

If you look at this photo, it looks like there's algae (blanketweed or similar) on them, which might have obscured the "joins" between the individual frogs. Michael was spot on right from the start - it's 3 frogs in amplexus.
  27. CallMeKenneth

'You're Never More Than 6ft From A Rat' & Other Dubious Statements

Apparantly, 87% of statistics are made up.
  28. CallMeKenneth

Tie Me Dinosaur Down Sport (Hopping Dinosaurs?)

Well, in 1977 palaeontologist Michael Raath suggested that a single pair of side-by-side footprints implied that Syntarsus rhodesiensis hopped (quoted in "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" by Greg Paul), but the more obvious answer is that these were from a standing animal, or two similar-sized...
  29. CallMeKenneth

There are a few, "Dinosaurs of the Air, by Greory S. Paul" is very good, though heavy going (at least it was for me). There's also "Mesozoic Birds, eds. L.M. Chiappe & L.M. Witmer", which I haven't read yet. And due out, there's "Feathered Dragons: Studies on the Transition from Dinosaurs to...
  30. CallMeKenneth

I think you may mean Alan Feduccia, who wrote "The Origin and Evolution of Birds". As you say, he is violently against the idea that birds evolved from dinosaurs, but seems to devote his time in picking flaws in the dinosaur -> bird theory, rather than proposing any viable alternative. One taxon...
  31. CallMeKenneth

big stick insects?..common in UK?

Parthenogenic - they can reproduce without the need for males, laying eggs which develop without fertilisation and hatch into females only, which mature and repeat the process. This site has a lot of usefull info: http://www.earthlife.net/insects/phasmida.html
  32. CallMeKenneth

giant snake

This report is in this morning's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/indonesia/Story/0,2763,1113948,00.html with a photo of it in the paper. They state that the snake is 85cm in circumference - this would give it a diameter of only 27cm, extremely thin for a snake of this (alleged) length...
  33. CallMeKenneth

Evil Towns

I've been told that this applies to Carlin How in East Cleveland - a lot of the inhabitants seem to be from the shallow end of the gene pool.
  34. CallMeKenneth

Sun Readers Can't Read

Try reading it on the toilet though.
  35. CallMeKenneth

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Oops! The first line of my previous post is a quote from one of David Raven's earlier posts. I managed to delete the bits that say "quote" when I edited it. Sorry David, just call me Mr. Thicky!
  36. CallMeKenneth

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

The face seemed 'flat' and it had very pointy little ears. Then it legged it. The pointy ears identify this as a "small" cat, ie of the genus Felis, rather than a "big" cat of the genus Panthera eg leopard or jaguar, as these have rounded ears. Note that the puma is classified as a small cat...
  37. CallMeKenneth

Bull's Penis Walking Stick & Other Animal Penis Products

Did a quick google and found this: http://www.evolutionnyc.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/889589.html
  38. CallMeKenneth

Bull's Penis Walking Stick & Other Animal Penis Products

Most mammals have a bone in their penis - I think humans are one of the few exceptions to this (too lazy to do a google for the others), so it was probably a raccon penis bone used as a toothpick. In the UK, an otter's penis bone was a popular tie-pin amongst country folk, when it was still...
  39. CallMeKenneth

A Short Cut to Better Spoken English

I wonder if this is similar to my tongue, in which the frenulum continues right to the front of my mouth, so I am unable to fully stick my tongue out. Instead, when I try the tip of my tongue just curls back underneath itself. This has never caused me any real speech problems except that I cant...
  40. CallMeKenneth

Giant Insects In New Jersey

If they were ichneumons (which seems likely) then they will have been searching for Woodwasp larvae ( or its american counterpart) within the treetrunk, then using its long ovipositor to bore into the tree (this is what the one in my photo is doing). If N. American woodwasps have a similar...
  41. CallMeKenneth

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

"Motorway to Roswell" by Pixies
  42. CallMeKenneth

And this one is the Ichneumon Wasp which parasitises it (Rhyssa persuasoria), which is even longer, but much more slender and delicate looking.
  43. CallMeKenneth

Thought I'd post a couple of my photo's. This is the Horntail, or Woodwasp (Uroceras gigas), which is about 45mm long, and lays its eggs in dead trees, using its ovipositor to drill into the timber. The larvae feed on the timber, taking a couple of years to reach full size before pupating. When...
  44. CallMeKenneth

Spotless Ladybirds

Me too. It is in fact physically impossible to have too many books.
  45. CallMeKenneth

Spotless Ladybirds

True, but this is described as an atypical ladybird. It's only about 3mm long, with an elongate body, so most people wouldn't consider it a ladybird. This site has some good pics of ladybirds - http://www.ladybird-survey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/londonla.htm
  46. CallMeKenneth

Spotless Ladybirds

Spotless ladybirds are ones that have just emerged from their pupa. The wingcases (elytra) are soft, and pale orange at first. It takes a couple of hours for them to harden, and to develop the familiar colour pattern.
  47. CallMeKenneth

Incest Is Best?

Apparently all Golden Hamsters are descended from 3 individuals captured in Syria in 1930 (Shuker, "The Lost Ark"). It would be difficult to imagine a group of animals more inbred, yet I don't think they suffer any particular defects. On the other hand, cheetahs have low genetic diversity due to...
  48. CallMeKenneth

Cheetahs

Apparently all Golden Hamsters are descended from 3 individuals captured in Syria in 1930 (Shuker, "The Lost Ark"). It would be difficult to imagine a group of animals more inbred, yet I don't think they suffer any particular defects. On the other hand, cheetahs have low genetic diversity due to...
  49. CallMeKenneth

It Was The Time Of The Preacher: Edge Of Darkness

When it was first shown on TV I managed to miss the last episode, and I've waited untill now to see it. Definitely well worth the wait - the closing shot will stay with me for a long time.
  50. CallMeKenneth

FT175

Yes, the Ace of D**kheads!
Back