• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Faerie Rings / Fairy Rings

Is it an optical illusion or does the grass look higher in the ring than outside it? Fantasy sensitive mowing, respect. I'm sticking with my theory based on that whole mushroom picking, tasting, wow I feel funny thing. One slight flaw is that, from my extremely limited knowledge, you need to eat...
  2. S

The Club That Wasn't There ?

One of my favourite fortean subjects as my recurring dreams feature places that don't exist. Or rather they do, but are features from various locations distorted, exaggerated and merged together. A common one is the new workplace, always out of the way, and has buses with unknown numbers on...
  3. S

Thanks, bang goes another theory. I had a mate who has tried most things psychedelic, including mushrooms. He had 'changeling' tattooed on his arm. Something to do with Jim Morrison and the Doors. He didn't know what it meant, when I told him about fairies swapping babies he was genuinely...
  4. S

Do 'magic' mushrooms ever grow in a ring? Obviously I am trying to link weird experiences associated with fairy rings with their consciousness altering properties.
  5. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I can see now why I got turned down for the job of nature programme presenter. I would be wandering round going "WTF is that?!!" all the time. Anyway, I don't like the look of 'em and I would be at it with the Round Up.
  6. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

An Independent article which wouldn't name names claimed a wholesome female pop singer was known as Chas Baps because of her penchant for letting young men snort cocaine off her dairy farms. A bit unfair sometimes, Lurid sex revelations!! Um, do you mean somebody has a partner? Still, guilty...
  7. S

JFK: Kennedy Assassination Etc.

I think a lot of the supposedly sinister associations depend heavily on the six degrees of separation phenomenon. There was one book, completely forgotten the title and author, where he went back and interviewed witnesses again. One sticks in my mind, the motorcycle cop whose radio was said to...
  8. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Well y'know whatever floats your boat. Though I'm yet to hear of any erotic practices involving floating boats.
  9. S

JFK: Kennedy Assassination Etc.

I think in general what researchers find is not conspiracy to murder but conspiracy to cover up blame for what happened. I also think that the numerous reasonably credible theories say a lot about America at that time. Not that I'm moralizing, Us Brits leave everybody standing when it comes to...
  10. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I thought it was. But like I say it was ages ago, and my memory is not what it was, neither is my memory what it was. Anyway, this actress who I believed remained nameless anyway had a thing for erm, relieving herself on the heads of her lovers. Enter Niven, who aware of this, took the...
  11. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Iirc it involved him putting a shower cap on. Tippi Hedren and her rampant parrot surely?
  12. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I read his books, though years ago. For some reason that I'm certain reflects badly on me, I can only recall his story about the actress with the peculiar fetish.
  13. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've just finished the scandalous Hollywood Private Lives Uncensored by Alan Royle. Older, rich men taking advantage of naive young wannabes? It's not unheard of!
  14. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Thanks. Silly Norman. You're So Vain, Warren Beatty? Mick Jagger? Some other bloke? Who knows? I saw the BBC 4 documentary on Carly, talented lady, I'm sure the irony would have been totally lost on Mick anyway, but he sang backing vocals on it. Also Klaus Voorman of Beatles in Hamburg fame...
  15. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Ah yes, the Carly Simon album cover. Resolving sexual identity since 1973. I should take the time to research who Freddy was so mad at in Flick Of The Wrist and Death On Two Legs. I kind of like them as creations sufficient unto themselves though, splendid lines like 'you're a sewer rat...
  16. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Norwegian Wood for me. Two weeks in Port Grimaud opposite San Tropez. The long bar on site as it was called had a singer/guitarist in situ and that was part of his repertoire. It became the sort of holiday anthem for our gang. Got back home. First day up for work, it was playing on the radio...
  17. S

What's Your Jinx/What's Your Luck?

The vast majority of things we damn ourselves for are one day wonders. Despite being a metaphorical God of Olympian proportions at work I did drop the occasional clanger. "Oh well" I thought "in six months time who's going to remember?" After years of experience I shortened it to a day or so...
  18. S

What's Your Jinx/What's Your Luck?

Well Y'know, a rose in a cornfield is a weed to a farmer. I'm reliably informed that during a stay in hospital Ruby Wax said she had found her 'tribe'. I took some comics into work for the lads to read, might have been Swamp Thing. The boss saw them and for some reason took offence, he went on...
  19. S

Irrational Childhood Terror

Thanks for that. I can never remember titles and writers.
  20. S

There's a Stephen King short story, Crouch End? about travelling into a strange and dangerous place. I remember one about a man descending a seemingly endless series of steps, set in a tube station I think. Also one about an afterlife in which ghosts can only remain on Earth by holding onto...
  21. S

I have something similar in adulthood. Only it's lonely country lanes and streets. The persistent sense that 'down the road' out of sight exists something strange and otherworldly. Then again, I went through a phase of believing I could change traffic lights with my mind so perhaps not the most...
  22. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Bit of a coincidence methinks. I asked for a football in a skip. I thought it polite. I knocked on the door, no answer. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement. It was an Asian lady at the window making waving motions with her hands. Interpreting this, I believe correctly, as fuck off, I...
  23. S

Go figure. I never knew that. For years I thought it was All By Myself by Eric Carmen.
  24. S

You never know what's going to hang around from childhood. I used to whistle a little tune when doing something, as far as I knew it was just something I'd made up. The Man From U..N.C.L.E had a repeat viewing maybe 5 years ago , I would guess I hadn't seen it since the early 70's. My little...
  25. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Bin day on Monday. People have got into the habit of putting out stuff for the scrap man the same day, old appliances, anything metal really. No surprise then to see a fridge freezer in the drive of a house down the road on Monday morning. Somewhat surprised to see the same fridge freezer...
  26. S

Nope. Couldn't get to the end of that video. I got as far as just past the skateboard. My knees were tying themselves into knots and I am confident I will require therapy.
  27. S

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding for me. It's what was on the radio after I came back from helping mum with the shopping, as we passed a house with kids playing outside, maybe my age or a little younger, she told me their mum had died. That profoundly, profoundly, disturbed...
  28. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Another beautiful theory ruined by an inconvenient fact. 1.5 miles seems to be stretching the credibility of soap bubble resilience. Weirdness seems to be encroaching into this experience as my admittedly limited brain struggles for the rational.
  29. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Have there been scientific tests on how far a soap bubble can travel? If not, why not? Being summer I'm going for one of those bubble machines at a nearby fete or other seasonal event.
  30. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Oh well, if people are just going to make stuff up then so will I. I will post on every forum that I have good reason to believe Jeremy Corbyn is the Muller Rice Bear.
  31. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Educational. Thanks. Also for the various names for woodlice. The one in my bathroom is called Kenneth Atwell.
  32. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Woodlice seem harmless enough little chaps, I don't begrudge them the odd skirting board, although they seem to have a fascination with hiding under my washing basket. I read somewhere, or imagined it, that we will swallow x amount of spiders in our lifetime whilst sleeping. I do wonder what...
  33. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

He's obviously been on the Domestos and got legless.
  34. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My daughter visited for the weekend and a day of the little fecker was enough for her, she went out and bought a can of Raid. So I crept around like some demented perfume tester. Several sprays later I haven't seen it for a while. Not my preference, I remember a patch of wall sprayed with...
  35. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I could do with a half competent spider. They mostly seem obsessed with stringing together strands between my washing line pegs. I've had one of those telepathic flies bobbing around all week being annoying, I don't like killing things for no reason but this one has been a complete bastard. It's...
  36. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Come to think of it, I don't remember Kirk ever battling a space spider. There was the Tholian Web but iirc he thought his time better spent being all ethereal. Not much use there. I think he frenched a woman who turned into a cat once, and there was Gary Seven who worked with a woman who erm...
  37. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
  38. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Och noo, I'm gonna have 'Star trekking across the universe' as today's earworm now.
  39. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You can always rely on Bill. To seek out new life and new civilisations, and thump it in the face. He'll sort out them spiders no problem.
  40. S

Serial Killers

I wanted to nick the little kid that is really a woman idea from Orphan. The older lady from Red, although mine would be more recognizably a granny rather than the luscious Helen Mirren. And a mahoosive celeb. National treasure sort. They make an unconventional and absolutely effective hit team.
  41. S

Serial Killers

Loved that. I don't know how long ago it was, this year sometime but I was sitting in the Metro at Wolverhampton and apropos of my interest in real crime decided to take in as many details as I could about a random stranger outside. I can't even remember their gender now. Perhaps it's just me...
  42. S

Serial Killers

No good for jury service then. "Don't bother with the evidence m'lud, he definitely looks like the sort of bloke who would do this kind of thing". I must watch the very long documentary on the O.J. Simpson trial again before it disappears from the iplayer. There is a suggestion the jury found...
  43. S

Serial Killers

Guilty. From examples of behaviour I extrapolate entire personalities and life choices. Sounds a cliche but there was a baseball cap on the bus. He ate a Snickers and sounded like he was trying to eat it through a snorkel. He also took swigs from a can of coke. When he got off he left the empty...
  44. S

The Tea Thread

I can't find a decent teabag. I have to put two in. Number crunchers I reckon, having worked out a h'aporth less tea in each bag adds up to a tidy profit seeing as they are sold in the billions. Milky tea, makes me gag. I've found a bottle of something cold held against the wrist can make you...
  45. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Dunno about a broom. I would be setting up claymore mines if we had them in the U.K. we only get house spiders who wander over walls and curtains to no logical or discernible purpose.
  46. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I can't drink. The meds I am on don't mix at all well with booze. In fact I am barred from a pub in Walsall after throwing up over most of it. I did spend a while the other day after waking up trying to work out if it was morning or late afternoon. It was morning. I can do the mind alarm thing...
  47. S

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Terrible joke time, Spidermans nemesis? Bathman. I've put out a toilet tissue ladder, an hour later the damn thing is still trying to climb up the same spot it has been trying to climb up and failing, a hundred times before. Spiders are idiots.
  48. S

J.R.R. Tolkien

It's always enjoyable seeing the realisation of characters that have previously only existed in the imagination. I like Huan, bulkier and more of a bruiser in my minds eye but ok. It does beg a question as to why, in battling Sauron, they didn't just set a dog on him.
  49. S

J.R.R. Tolkien

It's interesting reading the insights and fresh perspectives on things I hadn't considered. I read the Scouring of the Shire as Tolkien, almost with a sense of exasperation, demonstrating how the lust for power never ends. Middle earth in its entirety was described as Morgoth's ring. Evil being...
  50. S

J.R.R. Tolkien

I think the omission of The Scouring Of The Shire would have particularly riled Tolkien, he saw evil in part as the desire of others to boss people about and taken as a whole with the Silmarillion it's notable how evil diminishes in every age, culminating in the pathetic and spiteful actions of...
Back